The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 5

Fury won the rematch in a conclusive manner so I gotta give him the slight edge. But Wilder has enough power to change things in a blink of an eye, so that has to be always taken into consideration and can’t be underestimated. Percentage wise I’d say it’s probably 60-40 to Fury.

Wilder also changed his trainer and will try to implement a different game plan, specifically working Fury’s body more to try and slow him, he will also try to disguise the right hand more and not be so dependent on it.

Fury on the other hand should have pretty much the same game plan, pressure Wilder to make him go backwards and try to overwhelm Wilder again.
Must be difficult for him to learn new skills at this age. Wilder has had too easy a career against tin cans who were never hard to tag with his big shot within 12 rounds. Wilder can KO anyone if he lands but learning these other boxing skills will take more time than he has left lol.

Or a KO. If Wilder had a good jab, he could be formidable.
Of course, but a good jab is not something simple to learn. It’s a cornerstone of a career.

Of course, but a good jab is not something simple to learn. It’s a cornerstone of a career.

Talk to Larry Holmes. If some of you out there are interested google Larry Holmes jab or something like that and look at the videos. He used it as a defensive and offensive weapon as well as setting up that right cross. While Holmes' right wasn't nearly as hard as Wilder's, he wore people down and knocked them out with it.

With his physical tools, I find it baffling that Wilder's jab isn't better and fault his team for it. It's the one thing that could keep Fury off of him and keep him in the sweet spot for that right hand.

I'm no 'huge' fan of Fury's (for his views on various social issues) BUT I'm glad he knocked seven bells out of Wilder last time and I hope he does it again and sends the loudmouth ass into retirement.

I would love if Usyk was able to beat any of these guys. Would be really good for boxing I feel.

I would love if Usyk was able to beat any of these guys. Would be really good for boxing I feel.

I haven't seen a lot of him, but what I have seen tells me he's awkward to fight. He shows good movement and a good motor. A lot of people have trouble with lefties and that left hand up the pipe can be trouble.

EDIT: From the clips I saw, Usyk didn't seem to have too much trouble with Joshua's 4 inch reach advantage. Was that pretty much the case during the entire fight? Adding another 3 inches (Fury) may be another thing....

Last edited:
Wilder an atomic bomb - champion Fury

"They almost look at him like he's a bum. Like he can't fight and he's useless. You can't write him off."
He is a bum, he can’t fight and he is useless. But he also has the hardest left right combo I’ve ever seen that can knock anyone out if it lands.

I haven't seen a lot of him, but what I have seen tells me he's awkward to fight. He shows good movement and a good motor. A lot of people have trouble with lefties and that left hand up the pipe can be trouble.

EDIT: From the clips I saw, Usyk didn't seem to have too much trouble with Joshua's 4 inch reach advantage. Was that pretty much the case during the entire fight? Adding another 3 inches (Fury) may be another thing....
Joshua was never able to use his range effectively. He won a few rounds but the reach advantage (and weight advantage) were just negated by Usyk’s style and Joshua’s failure to play to his strengths (instead he played to Usyk’s). This won’t apply in a fight with Fury as that guy uses his reach very well. He has the most unpredictable movement and when bending back even 6’7 Wilder can’t reach Fury’s head.

SugarHill: Tyson Fury will weigh 20 pounds more than last time: 'The bigger the better, the heavier the stronger'

"It’s not going to be 300 pounds, it’s probably going to be like 290 or something but not 300 exactly. Heavier than last time by 20 pounds or so, why not? The bigger the better, the heavier the stronger. He’s training with that weight, he’s built up. It’s not like he’s just putting on fat, it’s building up muscles. The bigger the better, the heavier the stronger."
If this weight is accurate then Fury will come in trying to completely overwhelm and bulldoze Wilder. Even more than in the second fight.

Now while that added weight brings strength and power it also brings noticeable drawbacks like decrease in speed and stamina which could work in Wilder’s favor.

I see this fight ending in one of 2 ways:
- Wilder catches Fury early and KO’s him.
- Fury overwhelms Wilder and takes him out mid-fight.

If Wilder fought smart I could see him surviving the earlier onslaught and eventually catching Fury once he ran out of gas.

Wilder is always going to have a puncher's chance. For Fury, I think the best way to negate that is for him to box his way inside so Wilder can't really use his power. Fury could also outbox him from a distance which brings both pluses and minuses. It'll be interesting to see whether Fury sticks to his earlier game plan and if Wilder has any answer for it.

Wilder hasn't been affective against Fury ever since Fury got up from his knockdown in the first fight fury figured it out then oh he can't do a dam thing when i step to jhim and carried that to a dominant performance in the rematch no mention of this but Fury said i'm going to taste his blood ...

AND HE DID IT that is some psychological warfare right there and Wilder put up excuse after excuse and when he had the man in front of him SILENCE fury has nice real estate in wilder's head for that reason i think wilder's camp is cashing him out here hes finished mentally I expect a repeat of the second fight but EVEN MORE DECISIVE Fury steam rolls him in 4

I think the 290 pounds claim made by the Fury's trainer about his weight was probably just mind games.
In a recent interview Fury actually hinted at him being 265. We'll see soon enough.

Wilder hasn't been affective against Fury ever since Fury got up from his knockdown in the first fight fury figured it out then oh he can't do a dam thing when i step to jhim and carried that to a dominant performance in the rematch no mention of this but Fury said i'm going to taste his blood ...

AND HE DID IT that is some psychological warfare right there and Wilder put up excuse after excuse and when he had the man in front of him SILENCE fury has nice real estate in wilder's head for that reason i think wilder's camp is cashing him out here hes finished mentally I expect a repeat of the second fight but EVEN MORE DECISIVE Fury steam rolls him in 4
All fair. I will be curious if Wilder's claim that he was gassed by his Mortal Kombat armor is proven correct. Would be nice to have an actual fight here.

I wish Wilder had more power in regular shots rather than just that 1-2 combo as it can makes the fight less interesting. Either it’s almost over when it lands properly or he’s useless and we get one way traffic.

Fury is bringing entertainment value lol. I’ve got a lot more respect for him after the last Wilder fight where he looked awesome from the opening bell and just blasted him away.

I’m getting so many mixed signals from the Fury - Wilder 3 press conference and all the other interviews surrounding the fight. Hard to pin-point what’s really going on.

Fury looks over agitated and almost too eager. Some of his people are nervous and seem like on edge, it all feels a bit less composed than usual and that veneer of confidence is cracking a bit.

Wilder is in denial and completely surrounded by yes-men. He looks in great shape though and he seems more focused, even though Fury managed to rattle him once again.

At least Fury is still wary of the risk even though he should dominate as long as he keeps his wits about him:

“I’m playing with an atomic bomb, messing round, clipping wires.

Every time you go into the ring with Deontay Wilder you’re playing with that danger.”

I’m getting so many mixed signals from the Fury - Wilder 3 press conference and all the other interviews surrounding the fight. Hard to pin-point what’s really going on.

Fury looks over agitated and almost too eager. Some of his people are nervous and seem like on edge, it all feels a bit less composed than usual and that veneer of confidence is cracking a bit.

Wilder is in denial and completely surrounded by yes-men. He looks in great shape though and he seems more focused, even though Fury managed to rattle him once again.
Wilder isn’t used to fighters being so busy and in his face. It gives him no time to settle and get the measure for his power shot. If Fury does this the same way as last time it’s going to make landing the big shot just as difficult. And without it Wilder has nothing.

At least Fury is still wary of the risk even though he should dominate as long as he keeps his wits about him:

“I’m playing with an atomic bomb, messing round, clipping wires.

Every time you go into the ring with Deontay Wilder you’re playing with that danger.”
This exactly the right mindset to have.

Fury can't underestimate Wilder. Even though a lot of people take things for granted and expect certain stuff from the fight, Fury is the one that has to go in the ring and deal with that situation. Wilder is dangerous. In the second fight Fury didn't win by chance, he worked hard to get it, specially in those earlier rounds when he put the foot on the gas and pressed Wilder. Then as time passed Wilder took a lot of damage and lost a lot of gas to the point that it was just a matter of time until he was taken out.

Having said that i remember Fury ate some good shots from Wilder specially in those earlier rounds. Even though he can ride some shots, he works hard to be always defensively responsible and that work still needs to be put in at a high level in order to cope with the threat that Wilder poses.

Another thing i noticed was that in the second fight Wilder didn't put so much work to Fury's body but he seems to be doing that in the 3rd. If Wilder is successful in that department it should affect Fury's performance. I remember Fury was starting to slow down in the second fight because of his own fast pace and that could be affected further if Wilder focuses on the body and manages to be better defensively. If Wilder manages to pace himself he could bring Fury plenty of problems in the second half of the fight when Fury slows down considerably.

This exactly the right mindset to have.

Fury can't underestimate Wilder. Even though a lot of people take things for granted and expect certain stuff from the fight, Fury is the one that has to go in the ring and deal with that situation. Wilder is dangerous. In the second fight Fury didn't win by chance, he worked hard to get it, specially in those earlier rounds when he put the foot on the gas and pressed Wilder. Then as time passed Wilder took a lot of damage and lost a lot of gas to the point that it was just a matter of time until he was taken out.

Having said that i remember Fury ate some good shots from Wilder specially in those earlier rounds. Even though he can ride some shots, he works hard to be always defensively responsible and that work still needs to be put in at a high level in order to cope with the threat that Wilder poses.

Another thing i noticed was that in the second fight Wilder didn't put so much work to Fury's body but he seems to be doing that in the 3rd. If Wilder is successful in that department it should affect Fury's performance. I remember Fury was starting to slow down in the second fight because of his own fast pace and that could be affected further if Wilder focuses on the body and manages to be better defensively. If Wilder manages to pace himself he could bring Fury plenty of problems in the second half of the fight when Fury slows down considerably.
All true. I also think Fury can benefit from working Wilder's body as he looked completely spent in the later rounds of the last fight. One of Fury's knockdown shots in the second fights was a body shot that he had no defence for.

All true. I also think Fury can benefit from working Wilder's body as he looked completely spent in the later rounds of the last fight. One of Fury's knockdown shots in the second fights was a body shot that he had no defence for.
I just rewatched the second fight and yeh Fury unleashed some vicious body shots throughout the fight. That coupled with him leaning on Wilder really helped drain a lot of Wilder’s energy.

The one body shot that knocked down Wilder was also because of how Fury positioned his right leg against Wilder’s left. The force of the punch with the “tripping” of the leg made him go down. Actually very similar to how Usyk used his superior footwork against AJ during their fight, just that AJ always managed to keep on his feet even though he also momentarily lost his balance.

Everybody benefits from good body work.......except the workee....LOL

Official weigh-in:
Fury - 277 pounds (2nd fight - 273 pounds)
Wilder - 238 pounds (2nd fight - 231 pounds)

Both at their career heaviest. After going back and comparing both weigh-ins i’ll say this:
- Fury doesn’t look as strong and toned as he did in the second fight. He looks heavier around the mid-section and even his arms don’t look as strong as before.

- Wilder looks very strong. His physical appearance is always the same but this time he looks bulkier. I wonder how that will affect his speed and stamina.

This pre-fight build up is like the gift that keeps on giving. Now there has been substancial evidence of a problem with the glove selection. An issue was found when analyzing the fighters gloves for the fight.

- Fury's gloves which are the same he used in the second fight have 2 layers of "protection" above the knuckles, one layer of foam and the other of horse sair. This Paffen Sport gloves are legal.
- Wilder's gloves have 1 thicker layer of foam "protection" above the knuckles. His Everlast gloves are also legal.

Now while the 2 gloves have at first sight the same amount/thickness of protection, the reality is that Fury's gloves are basically called "puncher gloves", a type of glove that offers less padding and does more damage. (The same thing happened a while back when Mayweather refused to fight a guy called Maidana because his gloves where built similarly to those of Tyson Fury. They then agreed to fight with the same style of padded gloves.)

Wilder's team realized the issue and demanded that the situation was addressed. After some consideration and to "level the playing field", both Wilder and Fury will use the same style of "punchers" glove with less padding. This basically means a lot of damage will be done to both fighters and someone is definitely going to be KO'ed.

Long story short: Fury took advantage of a loophole in the second fight. Now in the 3rd, both fighters will go at it with the same style of gloves(not from the same brand, but the same type of gloves).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"