The Official Cell Phone Junkies Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is THE thread for you if you're as addicted to cell phones as I am. Post what cell phone(s) you're currently using, and which ones you're coveting :awesome:

have any news about upcoming devices coming out, share with us!
hot new apps, programs, downloadables, let us know
must-have accessories, great deals, etc

if you need help or tech support from a fellow hypester, post your queries here as well :)

You sure it was an upgrade to ICS and not just the standard update that was recently pushed? I haven't seen anything indicate that ICS was going out to the Droid 2.
Okay, I checked again and it's not the Ice Cream Sandwich I thought it was. Something tells me, given the age of his phone, and mine for that matter, neither of us will be getting it.

Upgraded from my Droid X2 to an HTC Rezound and am very pleased. Significantly improved speed (from 1Ghz dual core to 1.5Ghz dual core), response times are better for onboard apps and software, 4G versus the X2's 3G (I'm in a 4G area so the difference I'm seeing is like night and day) and the display is much more crisp.

I'm not a big music junkie (at least on my phone) so the Beats Audio is just an added bonus if the mood ever strikes me, though I do think they have the bass preset much too high (and it can't be changed if you use the Beats Audio program).

The down side is the battery life is crap. Typically 8 -10 hours without using 4G or Bluetooth. I used 4G while at my daughters soccer tournament and it went from 100% to 20% in about 3 1/2 hours. I just bought the extended battery (and cover) from Amazon so hopefully the reports are true and it will extend the life to nearly 24 hours (around 12 with 4G).

All in all, very happy with the phone.

Really feeling the urge to root my Inspire so I can be held over until I get my iPhone.. but I did it once already, or at least tempted... and bricked my original phone.

So... I don't really want to, haha.

Anyone have any idea if & when the Iphone 5 comes out?

Can anyone recommend for the HTC EVO 4G. A good Video Player that plays HD MP4 / MKV ? I have tried various ones on the Marketplace & all of them crash or completely freezes up my phone. Is there one good Video Player for the HTC EVO 4G ? All I want to watch is Red vs. Blue when I am not at home

They did the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S3 in London today
Ar_VB5mCEAASCub.jpg:large

As Samsung announces its latest flagship smartphone, take a quick look under the hood and see what's powering the new Galaxy S III --

•Quad-core Samsung Exynos chip @ 1.4 GHz, as previously announced
•HSPA+21 and LTE versions
•4.8-inch HD SuperAMOLED 720x1280 screen
•8MP / Front 1.9MP camera (720p video recording)
•2100mAh battery
•1GB RAM
•Wifi Channel Bonding
•Bluetooth 4.0(LE)
•Accelerometer, Notification light, Digital compass, Proximity sensor, Gyro, NFC, Barometer
•1080p video playback
•Various multimedia codecs supported
•MHL/DLNA
•Dimensions: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6mm
•Weight: 133 grams
•Available in blue and white.

Woah! That is awesome. Hopefully it will come to Sprint this Summer like the rumors suggest.

Last edited:
That does look & sound good

Last edited:
They did the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S3 in London today
Ar_VB5mCEAASCub.jpg:large

Quad core (damn) and a pretty good sized battery too; awesome. The only issue I'd have with it is the overall size, nearly as big as the RAZR, but that's a personal quirk. Definitely will have to check it out when it's released here.

I'm just happy they finally have a hard release date for the Ice Cream Sandwich update for my Rezound...May 9th...about damn time.

Samsung has launched the latest model in its flagship Galaxy S range of Android smartphones, the Samsung Galaxy S3, at an event in London tonight (3 May 2012).

Refuting the original rumour of a full HD display, Samsung announced that the Galaxy S3 boasts a resolution of 720×1280 on a 4.8-inch Super AMOLED screen.
According to Samsung, the device will have a 2,100mAh battery and be housed in a frame 8.6mm thick, weighing 133g.

To charge the battery Samsung said it would offer a number of options, including a charging stand and a wireless charging kit. The manufacturer wasn’t clear about whether these would be included with the device or be sold separately.

The device will come in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB variants and have the ability to expand the available storage space with a microSD card of up to 32GB.

Another rumour that proved false was that sparked by an Amazon Germany listing which mentioned a 12 megapixel camera – the Galaxy S3 includes an 8 megapixel rear-facing camera with no shutter lag.

However, Samsung said that the Galaxy S3 isn’t just about the improvement in specs, but includes a number of features to improve usability.

While the Galaxy Nexus had a camera with no shutter lag, for instance, the Samsung Galaxy S3 uses the technology in a feature it calls “Best Photo”.

This lets you take a series of photographs and the device chooses the best one, according to Samsung.

Samsung went so far as to say that the device “sees you, listens to you, and understands you.”
With “Smart Stay”, the Galaxy S3 recognises your eye movements as you’re watching the screen and keeps it on while you’re using it.

“S Voice” is a voice recognition and natural language processing application included with the device that Samsung said understands 8 languages.

Apple launched a similar feature on the iPhone 4S last year and although the comparison was never made by the presenters, it is impossible not to call S Voice “Siri for Samsung”.

Another usability feature announced for the device is “Direct Call”, which lets you dial by just picking up the device.
The Galaxy S3 will also have a “Smart Alert” feature which lets you know about missed calls and messages when you pick it up.

Samsung said that the device will be launched in 145 countries, partnering with 296 mobile operators around the world. The 3G version will be launched on 29 May 2012, starting with Europe.

my current contract expires end of August, seriously considering this or the Samsung Note

oh boy

Last edited:
Here is the phone I am most liekly getting tomorrow, even though I have a i-Phone3GS my dad pays for...it's contract is up sometime this year...and this one is on sale now...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ame=Prepaid+carrier&filterValue=Virgin+Mobile

The Samsung Restore from Virgin Mobile. I know it seems to get so-so/okay-ish reviews, but I've wanted this from since I've seen ads for it. It's like...sexy. And only $49.99 through the 5th of May. Suppose to be $35 a month unlimited.

Galaxy S3 is a MASSIVE disappointment, first of all most tech blogs received word that the phone would use better materials for the build using a ceramic type of material, instead we get the typical cheap looking plastic. The phone just flat out doesnt look good, camera placement and LED look awkward and very "feature phone-esque". The One X is a way better phone in terms of build quality, camera, and screen, more on the screen next.

The screen was supposed to be jaw-dropping, a Super Amoled HD Plus display, instead we get the EXACT same screen that the nexus from a half a year ago almost came out with, oh and did i mention the fact that it's pentile?? Which means its outdated, and just plain doesnt look all that good, One X definitely beats it.

Another thing for USA users, there are rumors going around that the amazing Exynos Quad-core processor clocked at 1.4ghz could be replaced for LTE and a Snapdragon processor because the Quad-core wont work with current LTE, again a rumor but if that turns out to be the case yet another major let down.

Samsung definitely let me down, i was expecting a lot more from them.

Rule number 1, never listen to rumors. This phone had millions of rumors surrounding it. Some panned out, some didn't. Better to wait until you get the official word before you get too psyched.

I think the processor change for US carriers, is mostly speculation due to HTC doing it to their One series recently. I'll wait for the official word.

I personally really like the phone, especially since they went with the SD card and removable battery route. Ultimately, I'll wait for the reviews to come out and the US release info.

Well after HTC released their One series of devices the level had been set higher for what to expect from your flagship device, Samsung flat out didnt deliver thats all. Feature phone quality for their flagship device. I mean Engadget even has screen comparisons to the Galaxy Nexus and the S3 screen is a tad WORSE then the Nexus. Build quality is worse. Nothing except the processor stands out. Absolutely a complete fail imo, heck even the One V from HTC, their bottom tier device definitely has better build. Kind of sad.

What i will say though is that in all the hands-on videos I've seen that phone just blazes through everything, the browser is probably the smoothest to date on a Android device. Just a shame it's a very uninspiring device overall.

Cheapest piece of plycarbonate i've ever seen. Plus to top that off they think to themselves "hey lets coat this and make it super glossy and totally prone to scratches and fingerprint"

I'm really excited for Apple's big conference this June, if rumors are true they will be introducing something for the Iphone either something with IOS or the Iphone 5.

Wow. Did the S3 kick your dog or something?

Galaxy S3 is a MASSIVE disappointment, first of all most tech blogs received word that the phone would use better materials for the build using a ceramic type of material, instead we get the typical cheap looking plastic. The phone just flat out doesnt look good, camera placement and LED look awkward and very "feature phone-esque". The One X is a way better phone in terms of build quality, camera, and screen, more on the screen next.

I'd say "massive" disappointment is a bit of an overstatement. None of the hands on reviews I've seen have been repulsed by the S3. Yes, they touch on the build materials and the screen, but none of them seem to be as worried about it as you are. I think the phone looks fine, nothing spectacular, but certainly not horrible.

The screen was supposed to be jaw-dropping, a Super Amoled HD Plus display, instead we get the EXACT same screen that the nexus from a half a year ago almost came out with, oh and did i mention the fact that it's pentile?? Which means its outdated, and just plain doesnt look all that good, One X definitely beats it.

They went with the pentile in exchange for a thinner body, longevity (debatable), and battery life, among other things. It's a trade off. And frankly, seeing a pentile next to an RGB screen isn't mindbogglingly different.

Another thing for USA users, there are rumors going around that the amazing Exynos Quad-core processor clocked at 1.4ghz could be replaced for LTE and a Snapdragon processor because the Quad-core wont work with current LTE, again a rumor but if that turns out to be the case yet another major let down.

Not rumor at all, that's pretty much the norm for any quad core phone that's going on the LTE network. You can't really blame that on Samsung. Even the HTC One X has to downgrade to dual core. Which, isn't really all that bad. The Nexus still screams on dual core.

Need some advice. I'm looking to upgrade my HTC Droid Incredible to a Samsung Droid Charge 4G. I'm looking at this model because it's the free upgrade and, I want to get on 4G with my current unlimited data plan before Verizon tries to lock me out of it. I'm not really interested in the absolute best 4G phone, just one that's better than my Incredible. How does the Charge stack up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"