The Official PS4 Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my fat one for about six years, purchased new, and this is the first problem I've had. I had it fixed about a week ago and haven't used it much since. That will change once I pick up The Last of Us later today.

I highly doubt there will be a price drop only a few months after release. Maybe by next holiday season, or even longer when the PS4 slim model gets released lol. But $399 for this console is such a good deal imo, I've no reason to wait for a drop in the cost.

Sorry to hear about your YLOD issue, man. I had the same thing happen to my 'close to launch' 60gb model after about 3 years. I tried repairing it a couple of times but it only made it another month or so after each repair before busting again. I ended up getting a Slim 160gb and she's still running great after 3 1/2 years. I really hope the next gen has limited issues.

Yeah, I don't really expect a price drop. Not sure why I said that, it's mostly some better titles that are keeping me from getting a PS4 right away. But if my PS3 breaks down again I may change my mind.

Well damn, mine is a launch fat one. Should be safe if I don't allow it to overheat right? PS3 is my secondary console so I'm not usually on it for 10 hours at a time.

Well, overheating and YLOD are not necessarily the same thing. YLOD refers to a general hardware failure. In most cases, this is caused by the continual heating/cooling of the system during normal use which leads to a degrade of the 'paste' on the CPU/GPU which then causes the chip to separate from the board. Overheating occurs when the system gets too hot. This is caused by lack of proper ventilation, build-up of dust within the unit, on the vents, etc. I think the PS3 has a shut down feature if the console gets too warm, not sure though, but ultimately overheating can be a factor in causing YLOD, they're not the same.

It seems to me to be a 'luck of the draw' situation. I kept my PS3 well ventilated, dusted, vacuumed the vents, and kept my house very clean but it still YLOD on me. And my use of the system varied...some days I would be on it for 6-7 hours between gaming and Bluray watching and then it might sit for 3-4 days before I used it again. Many of my friends/coworkers have the same issue...some after 3 years, some after 5...but then again I also know someone who still has a perfectly running launch 60gb with no issues except a BR lens replacement. It runs a little loud but otherwise it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"