The Official Chi Chi Discussion Thread

She doesn't just "come off more" Chinese, though. She is Chinese, lol. That's like saying Superman comes off more white than he does black. Well, of course. And yeah, not to be ignorant, there is a difference between all Asian cultures. But they obviously share a much closer resemblance to each other than that of Caucasians.

I see what you're saying with shallow criteria, but it just wouldn't make sense otherwise. The only excuse Goku has for being a white guy with the name Goku, is that he's an alien from another planet who just happened to be adopted by an old Japanese man. Chi-Chi has to be Asian. She was born on Earth to an Asian family. There's no way you could cast her as Caucasian.

Of course, she's too old now, but my perfect casting call for Chi-Chi would've been Michelle Yeoh. If only she were 10 years younger, at the least.

I think there's a misconception that the Dragon Ball world has the same geography as the real earth. There is no Asian in Dragon Ball. Chi Chi was not born Asian because there is no Asia continent. To back up what I've been saying, check out this map:

2a9sd2r.jpg

As you can see, the Dragon Ball world is not Asia. It does vaguely resemble Asia and parts of Europe, Africa, and even Australia but only roughly. It is fictional geography. Races in Dragon Ball is completely mixed geographically. Chi Chi does resemble a Chinese woman because of her hair and clothing, she is only inspired by Chinese influences. She isn't actually Chinese. The same goes for the other characters. The way I see it the people and animals see themselves collectively as Earthlings and not Asian/ Caucasian/ Dog/ Rabbit/ etc. This is what I'm basing my casting opinion on.

don't lie. all oriental asians look the same. there is no difference, lol. i'm korean, and i can't tell the difference until i see their last names. besides..a lot of koreans and japanese people get plastic surgery anyways. it's hard to tell these days.

james kyson lee(a korean dude) plays hiro's friend in heroes. but i'm pretty sure everyone in the world thought he was japanese.

Well, with your Korean heritage, I guess I can't call you on being blatantly politically incorrect, lmao. I have to admit, it is somewhat refreshing to see someone of Asian culture defend the view of the ignorant foreigner, lol.

i hope chi chi and goku get married right after the tournament...

relationships are so troubling now a days in movies.... spiderman being the most annoying mother load of them...
it'd be nice to see a fairytale kinda thing...

I'd like for the film to close with the wedding, yeah. Then, for our cliffhanger, a five-years-later caption after the credits with a wide view of the Earth, which then cuts to the navigation panel inside of a Saiyan space pod, maybe with an AI computer saying "now approaching planetary atmosphere", and we hear a voice say "let us see what you have been up to all these years...little brother."

That would be my perfect ending.

I think there's a misconception that the Dragon Ball world has the same geography as the real earth. There is no Asian in Dragon Ball. Chi Chi was not born Asian because there is no Asia continent. To back up what I've been saying, check out this map:

2a9sd2r.jpg

As you can see, the Dragon Ball world is not Asia. It does vaguely resemble Asia and parts of Europe, Africa, and even Australia but only roughly. It is fictional geography. Races in Dragon Ball is completely mixed geographically. Chi Chi does resemble a Chinese woman because of her hair and clothing, she is only inspired by Chinese influences. She isn't actually Chinese. The same goes for the other characters. The way I see it the people and animals see themselves collectively as Earthlings and not Asian/ Caucasian/ etc. This is what I'm basing my casting opinion on.

But, see, this is where people get caught up, when the term "Asian" comes into the fold. I'm using that word only in a referential sense. I know that Chi-Chi obviously isn't from Asia, the country itself. She shares the physical characteristics of a person who is, though. As do Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Mai, Krillin, and a number of other characters on the show. Akira Toriyama designed them to identically resemble those of Asian society, in both their appearance and cultural practices.

Therefore, only an Asian actor/actress can be cast to portray these roles for characters which were originally desgined to resemble members of Asian culture. It's just as simple as that. You cast them as they were written/drawn.

The land, terrain, culture, citizens, are all clearly derived from Asia. We have in Dragonball an essentially Asian world. To argue against that is ludicrous.

You know what Chichi means in Japanese, right? :funny:

I can't believe ANOTHER thread has moved into the whole 'what race are they' debate.... ESPECIALLY Chi-Chi's, of all of them.

It seems weird to me that people are even debating this. I thought she was obviously (drawn to be) chinese. Who cares about 'races' in the DBZ universe, some characters are obviously drawn to be white and others to be Asian. ...

Perhaps I should start an Android 18 thread in the sequels forum and wait for someone to start arguing that she should be Asian (Even though I feel that she's supposed to be Caucasian...)

People arguing about Chi Chi being white is just as silly as that. Even though I know for a fact that people WOULD argue that 18 'could be asian'

To conclude;
Chi chi = Asian.

My problem is people can't seperate reality from fantasy. Just because Toriyama was inspired to create Chinese or whatever looking characters does not make them Chinese. This is the Dragon Ball world. NOT the real world.

Chi Chi is not Asian. No characters are Asian in Dragon Ball.

"It's just as simple as that. You cast them as they were written/drawn."

Chi Chi's father is a giant. Is that Asian? Chi chi first wears bikini armour with a laser blade shooting helmet. Is that Asian?

All imaginary worlds have references to the real world. That does not mean resemblances mean the fictional world is a part of the real world.

"We have in Dragonball an essentially Asian world. To argue against that is ludicrous."

Do you realize how absurd that statement is? When I lived in Asia, I didn't see talking animals and dinosaurs. Dragon Ball is obviously influenced by Japanese and Chinese. That does not set the fantasy world of Dragon Ball actually as Asian. Star Wars is heavily influenced by Asian design and concepts. I suppose that means Star Wars is set in the Asian universe?!

If you're talking about the Jamie girl, I strongly disagree...

Jamie is very prettyful. :heart:

My problem is people can't seperate reality from fantasy. Just because Toriyama was inspired to create Chinese or whatever looking characters does not make them Chinese. This is the Dragon Ball world. NOT the real world.

Chi Chi is not Asian. No characters are Asian in Dragon Ball.

"It's just as simple as that. You cast them as they were written/drawn."

Chi Chi's father is a giant. Is that Asian? Chi chi first wears bikini armour with a laser blade shooting helmet. Is that Asian?

All imaginary worlds have references to the real world. That does not mean resemblances mean the fictional world is a part of the real world.

"We have in Dragonball an essentially Asian world. To argue against that is ludicrous."

Do you realize how absurd that statement is? When I lived in Asia, I didn't see talking animals and dinosaurs. Dragon Ball is obviously influenced by Japanese and Chinese. That does not set the fantasy world of Dragon Ball actually as Asian. Star Wars is heavily influenced by Asian design and concepts. I suppose that means Star Wars is set in the Asian universe?!

It's honestly, truly, really, very, very simple. You stay as faithful as possible to the source material when adapting an animated work into live-action. These characters were meant to look Asian...so you have to cast them as Asians. It couldn't be any less complicated.

Actual Asian people are the closest thing we have in the real world to represent Akira Toriyama's characters as accurately as possible. Does that make sense?

Chi Chi's father is a giant. Is that Asian?

Sumo%20J.JPG

Gyumao is based on Niumowang, from Journey to the West, also known as the Ox-Demon-King. He is a character with mystical background, sure, but Asian, nonetheless.

change for the sake of change should never be welcomed. Chi Chi is obviously supposed to look Chinese. so why, if there are plenty of prospective Asian actresses, would they cast a white actress even if she has Asian features? that just doesn't make sense. you cast actors/actresses based on how well they fit the characters and since Chi Chi's ethnicity is obviously meant to be the equivalent of Asians in DBZ land then it's only right that they cast an Asian actress. you're arguing against reason here...

...as for Star Wars, the ideals and some of the costumes were based on Asian culture but there was just as much Western influence as there was Eastern. not to mention Star Wars is an American trilogy that wasn't based on anything in particular while this movie is being based on an anime that was originally geared towards ASIANS.

Jaime is pretty with a great bod, bu Emmy and Eriko are more attractive to me :)

yeah...i don't really care for Jamie's face. that, and the fact that she doesn't have any acting experience, are reasons why i wish they found a different Chi Chi.

I've always found all Asian women attractive. There's something naturally elegant and refined about them.

I forget who it was, but I remember someone in the Kristin Kreuk/Chun-Li thread suggesting that Kristin and Jamie should swap film roles, heh.

Zhang Ziyi would've been perfect for Chun-Li, and most think she'd be perfect for just about any female Chinese action role. But I couldn't see her as Chi-Chi, at all.

I've always found all Asian women attractive. There's something naturally elegant and refined about them.

I forget who it was, but I remember someone in the Kristin Kreuk/Chun-Li thread suggesting that Kristin and Jamie should swap film roles, heh.

Zhang Ziyi would've been perfect for Chun-Li, and most think she'd be perfect for just about any female Chinese action role. But I couldn't see her as Chi-Chi, at all.

terry78

For an older Chi Chi i could have seen Lucy Liu and agreed about Asian women

Love Zhang, but her accent is pretty thick. :/

Of course, she's too old now, but my perfect casting call for Chi-Chi would've been Michelle Yeoh. If only she were 10 years younger, at the least.

I want Michelle in EVERYTHING. :heart:

They should seriously invent a character just so she can be in the film. :o

I don't buy the whole Asian thing. Toriyama intentionally did not comment on the ethnicity of his characters. He intentionally did not set the Dragon Ball world using real geography. And, that's the point. All these different creatures living together. I don't think Toriyama created Dragon Ball specifically geared towards Asians because it was translated to many countries and his character designs are far more diverse than most anime. Dragon Ball does not have an ethnic target audience.

I agree that Chi chi looks Chinese. I've said it before, but it's not my point. My point is that Jamie Chung simply looks Asian and that's enough for people. I don't see her as a fit for Chi chi's character.

The thing is though there aren't "plenty of prospective Asian actresses". Chi chi's role probably requires demanding English dialogue. There are very few Asian female actors that can do that. If that's the case, maybe that's why Jamie was chosen.

Maybe Jamie was chosen because she had the best chemistry with Chatwin? I've not seen her act so i cant say anything one way or the other

I want Michelle in EVERYTHING. :heart:

They should seriously invent a character just so she can be in the film. :o

Chi-Chi's mother, perhaps?

Or, more canonically, a reimagined version of Grandma Hakkake? :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"