BvS The Official Diane Lane IS Ma Kent Thread

Martha was actually DEAD in the comics of the time as she had always been (barring Superboy stories of the Silver Age) up until the post crisis time so... The character was lucky not to have been offed with her husband in the Donner film.

diane-lane-batman-vs-superman-image-600x443.jpg

Diane Lane's clip from the James Corden Show.

[YT]watch?v=IaNYmg_ZSMg[/YT]

I'm not seeing a resemblance at all between her daughter & Jolie.

Either way, they both look fantastic nevertheless.

I'm not seeing a resemblance at all between her daughter & Jolie.

Either way, they both look fantastic nevertheless.

Yeah, I think she looks more like her mom circa early 80s.

b04d46c4ad771089b6687881e329a024.jpg

8057420759_06d47b1a96_b.jpg

She definitely does. The only difference I can see would be the nose. Other than that, they look just alike.

This film doubles down on Snyder's vile interpretation of the Kents.

Ok, I'm curious ... How?

The Kents have traditionally been the source of Clark's grounded upbringing and essentially descent morality.

In Snyder's first film, Pa Kent advises young Clark that maybe he should have let a busload of kids drown and then later commits to dying in a tornado rather than have Clark risk exposing himself.

In this film, Martha Kent admonishes Clark to just stop being Superman, that he has no reason to help anyone and that she just wanted him all to herself.

Later,[BLACKOUT] some form of vision or memory of Pa Kent tells a story about the emptiness of heroism and how trying to help just creates worse problems.
[/BLACKOUT]
The film presents a very selfish Superman and he is encouraged to be even more selfish.

Snyder's Kents are fearful and self centered. They are the anathema of the very point of those characters.

Imagine if Spider-man's Uncle Ben encouraged Peter to just make a fortune using his powers for a wrestling career, responsibility be damned.

By mishandling the Kents, Zach Snyder mishandles Superman and superhoics in general on a pretty fundamental level.

Last edited:
The Kents have traditionally been the source of Clark's grounded upbringing and essentially descent morality.

In Snyder's first film, Pa Kent advises young Clark that maybe he should have let a busload of kids drown and then later commits to dying in a tornado rather than have Clark risk exposing himself.

In this film, Martha Kent admonishes Clark to just stop being Superman, that he has no reason to help anyone and that she just wanted him all to herself.

Later,[BLACKOUT] some form of vision or memory of Pa Kent tells a story about the emptiness of heroism and how trying to help just creates worse problems.
[/BLACKOUT]
The film presents a very selfish Superman and he is encouraged to be even more selfish.

Snyder's Kents are fearful and self centered. They are the anathema of the very point of those characters.

Imagine if Spider-man's Uncle Ben encouraged Peter to just make a fortune using his powers for a wrestling career, responsibility be damned.

By mishandling the Kents, Zach Snyder mishandles Superman and superhoics in general on a pretty fundamental level.

Holy crap, that is terrible ...

Weird...this thread has more views than any thread in the BvS forum.

[/BLACKOUT]

I guess you just see what you want to see then :huh:

I still think she's the prettiest lady in the cast...and that's saying a lot. Make-up aging aside.

286reg.jpg

[/BLACKOUT]

Comments like this make me roll eyes. Martha didn't tell her son to become a running back. She was telling him to live the life that makes him happy. If that meant beimg Superman then be Superman. If that meant hanging up the cape and living as Clark Kent the reporter or amything else he wanted to be. Then hang the cape up. She's a mother.No mother wants her child to suffer. None that deserves the title anyway.
The point of his father's story is you can't always win. You can't save everyone all the time. Sometimes you fail and you have to find a way to live with it. To move on and be able to look at the good things in the world.

Comments like this make me roll eyes. Martha didn't tell her son to become a running back. She was telling him to live the life that makes him happy. If that meant beimg Superman then be Superman. If that meant hanging up the cape and living as Clark Kent the reporter or amything else he wanted to be. Then hang the cape up. She's a mother.No mother wants her child to suffer. None that deserves the title anyway.
The point of his father's story is you can't always win. You can't save everyone all the time. Sometimes you fail and you have to find a way to live with it. To move on and be able to look at the good things in the world.

That's a good observation on Martha's speech. Although my first time hearing it, it was more of her lecturing him, you either be the hero and everything they need you to be, or don't be it at all and just live normal. The message being, any path you choose, you gotta go all the way, you can't half-a$$ it and have doubts. I'm not sure how some people can interpret that as telling him to **** the world and just do whatever :whatever:

I agree on Jonathan's story though. The whole point of the film is how Superman's interference, regardless of intentions, can have undesired consequences. But Jonathan's story basically tells him to not stop being who he is (someone who saves people) because he's afraid of the consequences, but just do his best of what he thinks is right, since even though he's Superman, he can't right every wrong, and must learn to live with those consequences knowing he tried his best.

None of those ideas are effectively communicated in either film. The Kents are just *******s in this version. It's a shame, because Costner and Lane are such good choices.

None of those ideas are effectively communicated in either film. The Kents are just *******s in this version. It's a shame, because Costner and Lane are such good choices.

I felt it was quite easy to figure it out. If it wasn't I don't really know what to say. Even if you didn't get any of that I think it was pretty obvious that the Kents were loving people who adopted a child they knew would be difficult raise. They knew it would have its complications. Even then they raised Clark as his own. It's because of them that Clark was able to say "This is my world," at the end of the film.
If you feel that makes theme vile or *******s then our differences go beyond our tastes in film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"