The OFFICIAL FINAL CRISIS THREAD

Stephen Lynch is hilarious. There's a lack of appreciation for folk satire in the comedy world.

There's a lack of appreciation for musical standup comedy in my head, because I think more often than not, the jokes wouldn't be funny at all if they were spoken, but because they rhyme and have music, they get laughs.

Avenue Q is a great comedic musical. And as for "stealing", that's a comic tradition that dates back to the Greeks. :D

They didn't have the interweb though.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

Avenue Q is a great comedic musical.
Plenty of Avenue Q is lame in its own way. Plenty of it is good, but you can tell there are comedy nerds in there, and musical nerds in there, and when the musical nerds get to write the songs, they aren't so funny. Musical comedians need to catch up with the cutting edge of comedy.

And as for "stealing", that's a comic tradition that dates back to the Greeks.
But today, it means more. Standup comedy is about a persona, and when someone steals that, they're stealing your livelihood. Standup comedians live and die by their originality now.

There's a lack of appreciation for musical standup comedy in my head, because I think more often than not, the jokes wouldn't be funny at all if they were spoken, but because they rhyme and have music, they get laughs.
They don't even have to rhyme, sometimes.

See: "Jenny" by Flight of the Conchords

They don't even have to rhyme, sometimes.

See: "Jenny" by Flight of the Conchords
Flight of the Conchords is one of my rare exceptions to the "musical comedy sucks" rule. Their stuff is on multiple levels, and isn't just about singing bad jokes with a musical rhyme and meter scheme.

"Jenny" is hilarious. Some of the Conchords' other songs have risen from being among my favorite comedy songs to being among my favorite songs, period.

I find Dane Cook hilarious, thats just what I laugh at. I also laugh at Lynch and Robin Williams. I mean I think Comedy comes down to whether or not you can take a joke a deliver it just right that you atleast get the chuckle and people wanting to see just a bit more.

Goddamnit Hush. We were talking about comedy and you went and derailed it.

Speaking of Conchords, tickets for the stl show go on sale froiday at 10 am. I. am. pumped.

Where are they playing? Pops or Missis- I mean Pops right?

Well, Dan DiDio confirmed it that Mr. Miracle (Shilo Norman) was erroneously coloured white in the issues after Final Crisis #1.

I just assumed Shilo Norman had magical skin color changing abilities. He managed to change colors once or twice during Seven Soldiers, too.

Great find Keyser! thanks for sharing that it was a great read and I laughed quite a few times too.

Damnit, I really want a director's commentary for Final Crisis. I found a deep apprectiation for Arkham Asylum after reading Grant's script with his comments and Final Crisis is beggggging for the same treatment. I might just write a letter.

Damnit, I really want a director's commentary for Final Crisis. I found a deep apprectiation for Arkham Asylum after reading Grant's script with his comments and Final Crisis is beggggging for the same treatment. I might just write a letter.

Absolute edition. It'll come in a few years.

Well, Dan DiDio confirmed it that Mr. Miracle (Shilo Norman) was erroneously coloured white in the issues after Final Crisis #1.
Wow, I was totally wrong. I really figured it was the effect of the lighting. Oh well.

Are there really people who were disappointed because no one got into an all-out brawl against Darkseid? The thing with the bullet was good enough for me.

Are there really people who were disappointed because no one got into an all-out brawl against Darkseid? The thing with the bullet was good enough for me.
I argued with a guy like yesterday who was literally disappointed that Darkseid wasn't badassed enough.

...really? Did he not watch the final season of Justice League Unlimited? Or every few episodes of Superman? Because it's just gonna be that same crap all over again.

...really? Did he not watch the final season of Justice League Unlimited? Or every few episodes of Superman? Because it's just gonna be that same crap all over again.
Incidentally, two of my favorite Batman moments are Batman vs. Darkseid in the last episode of JLU, and Batman vs. Darkseid in Final Crisis #6. Even as I was watching the Omega Sanction nail him in FC 6, I was hoping that he'd dodge them like he did in JLU.

God that show was awesome. I want it back.

EDIT: Just realized I forgot to say what I actually wanted to say. Yes, I'm sure he's watched those, and I'm sure he's read plenty of Darkseid stories. And YES, I do believe that he wants to see the same thing over and over again. (Is Morrison's Omega Sanction--endless cycle of increasingly painful and meaningless and similar lives--a commentary on the stagnation of the serialized character?) That's what comic book fans want. That's what they've been conditioned to want. It will take them a long time to embrace something different. To...embrace change, if you will...

IGN Comics: So if you'd go so far as to say the DC Multiverse is as real and as organic as anything, would you say that the story of Superman is its heart?

Morrison: Yeah, totally. Because it all derived from Superman. I mean, I love all the characters, but Superman is just this perfect human pop-culture distillation of a really basic idea. He's a good guy. He loves us. He will not stop in defending us. How beautiful is that? He's like a sci-fi Jesus. He'll never let you down. And only in fiction can that guy actually exist, because real guys will always let you down one way or another. We actually made up an idea that beautiful. That's just cool to me. We made a little paper universe where all of the above is true.

Does this justify Grant's work to my point of view about Batman? Batman's role is to be the "Real Guy" on the Justice League. And in Final Crisis he really let me down.

Hmmmm. It is something to mull over.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"