The Official Final Fantasy XII Thread

My Team is:
Vaan - Sword/Magic Tank
Basch - Hammer Tank, I wanna get to two handed swords for him.
Balthier- Crossbow/gun
Ashe- Pole/Mage
Penelo - Ninja blade/dagger/summoner
Fran - Bow/White Mage

My team usually consist of Vaan, Fran, and Basch.
No Healer? Or is that what your using your mage for?

^ Okay just checking. I was wondering how you would go through the game without a healer.

After finishing FFXIII, I'm now for the first time playing FFXII. Right now I'm leveling up Vaan with Dustia, I'm at lvl 25 in only 3 hrs. of gameplay.

Is there anything else I need to know while I play this game. I read about getting that Spear that is hard to get in the game, so I'm taking note on that, but is there more secretes where I can level up and gil farm? Seems like with Dustia, I can do both!

Last edited:
It was okay. I mean, the story was very complex and confusing. It was too literary and the characters weren't fully developed. Was Vaan the main character or was it Ashe? And the bosses were easy........... maybe it's because I was exp farming with Dustia earlier in the game so Leveled up to 50 when I actually started the story :).

One other gripe were the cut scenes, most of the cut scenes weren't fully rendered, alot of the cutscenes were regular PS2 graphics. I remember FFX has awesome rendered cutscenes, but 12 didn't have them.

Overall, it's not better than FFX, and it's not better than FF13, but I do like FF12 had like puzzles and mysteries and dungeon type levels.

It was okay. I mean, the story was very complex and confusing. It was too literary and the characters weren't fully developed. Was Vaan the main character or was it Ashe? And the bosses were easy........... maybe it's because I was exp farming with Dustia earlier in the game so Leveled up to 50 when I actually started the story :).

One other gripe were the cut scenes, most of the cut scenes weren't fully rendered, alot of the cutscenes were regular PS2 graphics. I remember FFX has awesome rendered cutscenes, but 12 didn't have them.

Overall, it's not better than FFX, and it's not better than FF13, but I do like FF12 had like puzzles and mysteries and dungeon type levels.
I would say Ashe was more the main character. She was the one most integral to the plot and the primary hero, so to speak. Vaan only seemed important early on but he takes a backseat once the party rounds itself out. One could make arguments for it being Basche as well but Ashe stands out the most to me

I dont remember much about the cutscenes and the ratio of rendered vs in game models but it could be due to the fact that XII had ALOT of content. That may have been a developmental choice to keep it all on one disc. Still the visuals were beautiful for its time. It looked alot better than FFX which came before it bc the team had more experience working with the PS2 by that point

Gotta disagree on FFXIII being better than it. Of course this part is pure opinion. Graphics aside, the only thing XIII had better was more developed characters. Everything else about XII was better IMO. The combat system, gambits, exploration/freedom, towns, NPC interactions, leveling, structure, layout, sidequests, story. Even though the characters didnt recieve as much characterization, I found them to be alot more intriguing than the XIII bunch. Ashe, Balthier and Basche are among my favorites in the series. XIII seemed very empty in comparison to XII. XIII had alot of flash and flare but little substance. It excelled in its visuals but thats solely due to the hardware. Ignoring that, it doesnt hold up quite as well

Last edited:
Yes, in narrative terms, I would say Ashe is the main character, but Basche is quite significant too, and what's interesting is how he was considered in pre-production to be the major character but they didn't think the older character would appeal to the younger demographic so went with Vaan.

I consider Basch the main character. He just has that heroic appeal and he is the first playable character who you are introduced to in the story. Basch is just awesome. Not to mention that Basch and Gabranth's story arcs are easily the best in the game.

Also, lol at the person who claimed that FFX and FFXIII (the two biggest heaps of trash in the series) are better than this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"