The Official Flash thread - Part 1

The Official Flash has been awful since Infinite Crisis Thread.

Last edited:
DC Announces 14 "Flashpoint" Titles

aetb48.jpg

If last week's teasers covering four of their biggest franchises wasn't clue enough, DC Comics made it clear today that their incoming "Flashpoint" event is going to be big. At least 15 tie-in mini series big, and that's just for starters.
The publisher revealed today on their The Source blog that the Geoff Johns/Andy Kubert five-issue event – ostensibly spinning out of Johns' run on "The Flash" – will be supported by 15 mini series, 14 of which saw their titles unveiled in the following order:
Whatever Happened to Gotham City?
FLASHPOINT: BATMAN KNIGHT OF VENGEANCE #1-#3
FLASHPOINT: DEADMAN AND THE FLYING GRAYSONS #1-#3
Whatever Happened to the World’s Greatest Super Villains?
FLASHPOINT: CITIZEN COLD #1-#3
FLASHPOINT: DEATHSTROKE & THE CURSE OF THE RAVAGER #1-#3
FLASHPOINT: THE OUTSIDER #1-#3
Whatever Happened to the Aliens?
FLASHPOINT: ABIN SUR THE GREENLANTERN #1-#3
FLASHPOINT: PROJECT: SUPERMAN #1-#3
Whatever Happened to Science & Magic?
FLASHPOINT: FRANKENSTEIN & THE CREATURES OF THE UNKNOWN #1-#3
FLASHPOINT: SECRET SEVEN #1-#3
Whatever Happened to Europe?
FLASHPOINT: EMPEROR AQUAMAN #1-#3
FLASHPOINT: WONDERWOMAN AND THE FURIES #1-#3
FLASHPOINT: LOIS LANE AND THE RESISTANCE #1-#3
Everything You Know Will Change in a Flash
FLASHPOINT: KID FLASH LOST #1-#3
FLASHPOINT: THE WORLD OF FLASHPOINT #1-#3
An earlier Source post confirmed that a 15th mini series in on tap "along with several important one shots" while adding "'Flashpoint' spans the DC Universe from the dark streets of Gotham to the ruins of Big Ben. It’s an international tale of action and intrigue that impacts an entire universe."

Aside from the fact that no creative teams were announced for the 14 three-issue series that were revealed today, the one standout detail from DC's announcement is the "Whatever Happened?" question serving as story hook for each set of minis. Originated in Alan Moore and Curt Swan's classic pre-Crisis Superman tale "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?" the phrase has recently been turned into a DC story brand of sorts thanks to Neil Gaiman and Kubert's "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" story in Batman. Both of those comics involved "imaginary stories" picturing alternate futures and deaths for the two iconic heroes.

If the 15th mystery mini series also ends up clocking in at three issues, the entire "Flashpoint" event currently stands at 50 total issues – not counting any additional one shots or monthly series tie-ins. That means full immersion in the event will cost readers a minimum of $149.50 at DC's current $2.99-a-comics price point. "Flashpoint" launches with a preview in this year's DC offering for Free Comic Book Day, which is May 7. The regular series follows this summer.
For more information check out The Source and stay tuned to CBR News for more "Flashpoint" updates.

i like elseworlds, i like the flash. this is a much more interesting event to me than blackest night :up:

I fully plan to not read any of that and save some cash with this event. I like Elseworlds as Elseworlds, where you get a fun look at some other, wacky universe in its own self-contained little package. This is just an obnoxious interruption of the normal continuity, like JMS' Wonder Woman or Heroes Reborn.

I fully plan to not read any of that and save some cash with this event. I like Elseworlds as Elseworlds, where you get a fun look at some other, wacky universe in its own self-contained little package. This is just an obnoxious interruption of the normal continuity, like JMS' Wonder Woman or Heroes Reborn.
will these books be bumping the normal books off the shelves? because otherwise i don't see the difference

That's what someone mentioned in the Flashpoint thread, but I don't know how reliable their information is. In any event, I'm not begrudging others to read them as long as they don't replace the ongoings. I just personally am not interested in the event.

That's what someone mentioned in the Flashpoint thread, but I don't know how reliable their information is. In any event, I'm not begrudging others to read them as long as they don't replace the ongoings. I just personally am not interested in the event.
still, disinterest is better than the active hate blackest night inspired(at least from me)

I was jazzed for Blackest Night, myself. It started off really well, too. But then it just meandered around because there was way too much tie-in material and not enough story to go around. Apparently, DC didn't learn its lesson.

So, no word on the size of the actual event, though? Hmm, I wonder if this will be a smaller one or something, letting all of the alternate reality exploration in these minis.

still, disinterest is better than the active hate blackest night inspired(at least from me)

BN inspired hate before the event started, or after?

before. i was already bored of the rainbow lanterns and getting burnt out on zombies plus it was to be headlined by hal jordan. that's a trifecta of me not caring right there

So, no word on the size of the actual event, though? Hmm, I wonder if this will be a smaller one or something, letting all of the alternate reality exploration in these minis.
I thought Drz said in the Flashpoint thread that it would be a 5-issue mini.

before. i was already bored of the rainbow lanterns and getting burnt out on zombies plus it was to be headlined by hal jordan. that's a trifecta of me not caring right there
I was actually just starting to get interested in the Rainbow Lanterns by then, and I figured all of the other characters involved would help drown out Hal's boringness. I'm always up for zombies, too.

Of course, since then I've become completely sick of the Rainbow Lanterns and gone back to ignoring everything Hal Jordan is involved in. The upcoming War of the Green Lanterns looks pretty stupid and is kind of off to a bad start with Guy and Ganthet acting like idiots, too. The GL line ain't what it used to be before BN.

I thought Drz said in the Flashpoint thread that it would be a 5-issue mini.

Oh, yeah, missed that. I also missed how there would also be several 'important one-shots' around this event, too. I wonder if Flashpoint will replace Flash for five issues, or if it'll tie-in to it? I hope we get more details about that Flash Force (or whatever it was called) that was talked about 100 years ago out of this.

i thought flashpoint was going to be more wally centric, leaving barry headlining the ongoing?

Really? Where'd you hear that? Sounds pretty strange to not put the star of the books in the actual event.

i don't remember, it's been awhile. but it sounds more strange to me to completely ignore a much beloved character for over a year than to give him an event

Blackest Night was probably the most excited I've ever been for an event. I'm a little apprehensive about this one though, as I'm worried it will be too much like an elseworlds story, and not enough of an 'event' if that makes sense. It also doesn't feel like anything I haven't read before.

We'll see. I do also love that they're not interrupting the on-goings for it. I'll buy the flashpoint series, and then buy all the little miniseries when they're collected in hardcover.

i don't remember, it's been awhile. but it sounds more strange to me to completely ignore a much beloved character for over a year than to give him an event

It's not strange when you consider they're trying to re-establish Barry has the main Flash. There was that Wally co-feature, but they cut to keep everything focused on Barry. Not making him the star of Flashpoint would seem to derail that to me. Now, the other way around, I could totally see, though.

i thought flashpoint was going to be more wally centric, leaving barry headlining the ongoing?
If that's the case, I may give the main mini-series a go.

But I'm like 99.9999% sure that won't be the case.

i hope this is like Zero hour and most of the reg books go on hiatus for the 3 months. if this is the case i will buy most of them at a $2.99 price tag and my 20% off.

also, remember, no one said everything has to go back to normal, this might be a good story to rewrite/fix some continuity here.

Why can't there just be a one book run called Flashpoint? Through in as many characters as you want. Why sprawl the story out across so many books? That is more confusing than LOST.

DC wants your money

That is why there are so many tie ins :hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"