• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Official Green Lantern Marketing Thread

I must stress this again....DC, call the Ring Pop people now before it's too late.

I agree with this, it can't just rely on the geek crowd, but public awareness. Public awareness of GL at this point seems kind of low compared with Capt. America and Thor.

Here's some of the main ones:

April

Apr 1 - DAM 999, Super, Hop, Source Code, Trust, Insidious,

Apr 8- Soul Surfer, Your Highness, Arthur, Hanna, Ceremony

Apr 15 - Scream 4, Rio, The Conspirator, Atlas Shrugged Part 1,

Apr 22 - Water for Elephants, Apollo 18, African Cats, Incendies

Apr 29 - Fast Five, Prom, Cave of Forgotten Dreams

http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/-/2011/

Jeez.

Well, I would think Fast Five for sure. Then probably Source Code, Rio, Apollo 18, and maybe Your Highness.

I'm seeing 2nd place for sucker punch an est. $20mil weekend on a few box office prediction sites. Maybe the trailer being on "Faster Five" or whatever the heck its called won't be so bad if it were to be attached

I'm seeing 2nd place for sucker punch an est. $20mil weekend on a few box office prediction sites. Maybe the trailer being on "Faster Five" or whatever the heck its called won't be so bad if it were to be attached

What film is going to beat Sucker Punch this weekend?

Whatever film it is....I don't see it beating Sucker Punch....but who knows.

Jeez.

Well, I would think Fast Five for sure. Then probably Source Code, Rio, Apollo 18, and maybe Your Highness.

Heh, I wouldn't be surprised if both Thor trailers play in front of "Your Highness" (lol).

Last edited:
What film is going to beat Sucker Punch this weekend?

Whatever film it is....I don't see it beating Sucker Punch....but who knows.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2. Sounds as stupid as it is to type, but they're going for different markets (won't compete with each other), but the first opened at $22mil and this one's expected to do about the same.

With or without Trailer #2, the Marketing Dept needs to start putting up stand up posters, pin ups, character movie posters (preferably of Hal, Sinestro, Kilowog, Tomar Re and Abin Sur, and put that Green Lantern logo all over MOVIE theaters ASAP!

Another thing to do, is have a stand up of Abin Sur at movie theaters with a him using a construct looking like the lantern battery which have Green Lantern power rings inside of them so the general movie going public could grab them at theater.

The theater managers can restock when need be. :hal:

Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2. Sounds as stupid as it is to type, but they're going for different markets (won't compete with each other), but the first opened at $22mil and this one's expected to do about the same.

..eff yeah ghost of posting's past!

Marketing is the low point of Warner for a long time now.

But I still say that Green Lantern is gonna be a great movie!

I'd probably say no to that. WB has some great marketing. Look what they did with TDK, or Inception, or TS (even though it was bad) had pretty good marketing.

I'd probably say no to that. WB has some great marketing. Look what they did with TDK, or Inception, or TS (even though it was bad) had pretty good marketing.

I agree with TDK, It really havd good marketing> But something tells me that Nolan team worked closed with marketing, because it is really an exception.

The majority of Warner movies has poor marketing, period.

You know, I think we are missing something here. Green Lantern shouldn't be benchmarking itself agains "Thor", "Captain America, "X-Men", or even "Transformers". It should be trying to top "Pirates of the Caribbean" (if it's going to compete at all).

Heh, I wouldn't be surprised if both Thor trailers play in front of "Your Highness" (lol).

In addition, during the scene where Natalie Portman is wearing a thong, subliminal messages will be threaded into the film itself: **She's in Thor**, **She's in Thor**, **She's in Thor**.

Not really :cwink:

There's more marketing in this thread.

Seriously...aside form a VERY lukewarm trailer...you wouldn't think know this movie is coming out.

Thor, and Captain America ALL are aLL over the place.

They should really be putting the trailer with fast five since it will probably be more popular than thor. Really, with this whole trailer thing, captain america just got its first trailer and frankly you can't really judge what fans are saying about popularity because we search this stuff out. If they really want to show a great trailer I'm sure they need time, because everytime they released something unfinished everybody gets all worked up that it looks like crap.

Why there is no mainstream marketing for Green Lantern right now:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ent...rketing-campaign-delayed-by-effects-work.html

Less than three months before it hits theaters, "Green Lantern" is missing something critical: a marketing campaign.

"Green Lantern" is easily Warner Bros.' riskiest bet of the year: its first attempt to mine the DC Comics' library -- beyond the well-known Batman and Superman characters -- for a big-budget summer tentpole. The picture cost more than $200 million to produce before the benefit of tax credits in Louisiana where it was shot, according to people familiar with the matter.

It's a key part of the strategy by Jeff Robinov, Warner Bros. motion picture group president, to replace the multibillion-dollar "Harry Potter" series. Robinov was profiled in Tuesday's Los Angeles Times as he assumes "greenlight" authority at Hollywood's biggest studio.

But beyond an early trailer released last November that studio executives acknowledged was poorly received by fans, there hasn't been any promotional material yet for "Green Lantern," which stars Ryan Reynolds. The reason: The movie's intricate 3-D visual effects, including numerous scenes set in space and featuring aliens, are taking longer than anticipated.

"We are on a learning curve in getting 3-D materials and marketing materials on the same schedule," Robinov said. The advertising campaign "has been delayed strictly from production."

Warner is finally showing new promotional material to exhibition executives at CinemaCon in Las Vegas this week and to fans at the WonderCon convention in San Francisco this weekend. It also plans to release a new trailer that will play with the Marvel superhero movie "Thor" in early May. Sue Kroll, the studio's worldwide marketing president, said she was confident the reaction would be different than it was for the teaser trailer in November.

"Part of the reason the response to the first trailer was lukewarm was that the big-scale sequences weren't ready to show, and we suffered for it," she said. "We can't afford to do that again."

Robinov said Warner Bros. had learned its lesson the hard way on aligning its production and marketing schedules for special-effects-heavy 3-D tentpole films. "We won't be in this position again," he said.

He also said he wasn't worried about the movie's ultimate success or the fact that Warner is covering the entire budget itself without a financial partner, as is increasingly common for big-budget pictures in Hollywood. Just as the studio has done with the hugely profitable "Harry Potter" series, Robinov said he wanted Warner Bros. to own 100% of as many DC movies going forward as possible.

-- Ben Fritz

Some of these seem like bad excuses. It's not like they haven't had large scale 3-D production before. Did they rush this movie?

Also was it filmed in 3D or not? Isn't this another converted movie?

This does not bode well for Green Lantern right now. And they are acknowledging that the reception of the first trailer was bad.

They should really be putting the trailer with fast five since it will probably be more popular than thor. Really, with this whole trailer thing, captain america just got its first trailer and frankly you can't really judge what fans are saying about popularity because we search this stuff out. If they really want to show a great trailer I'm sure they need time, because everytime they released something unfinished everybody gets all worked up that it looks like crap.

The trolls overeact and say it looks like crap.

I agree with you regarding the release of the next trailer. Like I said before, since the next trailer will be released online the week of Thor anyway, they should release the 2D version during the opening of Fast Five and hit that demographic. Then the following week show the 3D and 2D versions with the Thor release and then do the same with the 3D and 2D versions of Pirates 4.

They need to show the next Green Lantern trailer in front of those fans and target audiences of those franchises.

WB really needs to get their asses in gear. This is make it or break it time. They better have some great **** in store.

^you know its funny that fans think all of this promotional stuff is for us. They already have our money, they need to target the people that count, i.e. everyone else. Also, some of the thor effects have looked very underwhelming, that one with sif and the monster comes to mind, yet nobody brings that up, because fans have selective memory and vision and don't really like to take a step back and look at things without bias. Its the same thing with showing humour in trailers, its like its forbidden among the fanboy community, god forbid a movie about an intergalatic cop have a little bit of humour. Everyone must be so serious when they're not posting on message boards.

^you know its funny that fans think all of this promotional stuff is for us. They already have our money, they need to target the people that count, i.e. everyone else. Also, some of the thor effects have looked very underwhelming, that one with sif and the monster comes to mind, yet nobody brings that up, because fans have selective memory and vision and don't really like to take a step back and look at things without bias. Its the same thing with showing humour in trailers, its like its forbidden among the fanboy community, god forbid a movie about an intergalatic cop have a little bit of humour. Everyone must be so serious when they're not posting on message boards.

Oh I agree and at this point, the Marketing Dept shouldn't have to wait for the 3D conversion process or materials to kick in and start putting Green Lantern stuff up all over the inside of movie theaters at the very least.

It's inexpensive and if they do things to engage the movie going public at the theaters like having stand up Green Lantern like Abin Sur or Kilowog have a construct handing out power rings, then that will have a positive effect and grab the movie going publics attention regarding a cool Green Lantern movie coming out.

It's stuff like that, that is simple....yet effective. People are getting paid good money over there on the WB's Green Lantern Marketing Team and it seems like they are sitting on their collective asses.

Trust me...I have been up in arms regarding this Marketing thing since last week. I'm taking a Marketing class as we speak for my Masters and I was writing about this situation the other day, about what NOT to do when it comes to Marketing, Advertising and Promotion. :o

I agree also with the Thor CGI. It doesn't look like anything special at all. I have a feeling the Green Lantern CGI and SVX will still wind up being better than Thors SVX when it is all said and done.

Does anyone know Robinov's and Kroll's email address? I wanted to email them today and tell them they need to start putting Green Lantern stuff all over the place in movie theaters at the very least starting next week.

I go into movie theatres and I see huge setups for like X-men First Class, Thor, and Captain America and literally nothing for Green Lantern. Which I don't get because its a very easy movie to market with all the cool stuff that should be in it and not to mention the Green Lantern symbol which has become pretty popular with shirts and it's a featured motif on The Big Bang Theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"