• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official Green Lantern Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
jmc,

Yeah, the ramifications could be extremely huge. DC, besides Superman and Batman, could be buried forever...

This is disappointing as a DC Fan.

This film looks like what would happen if movies like Iron Man and Thor DIDNT have amazing performances and relied mainly on the script.

This also proves what I've been thinking for a while: That people are tired of the same generic origin story where the hero is deeply flawed but learns how to be a hero in the end. First Class escaped that by being a different kind of origin, as well as being a prequel. Thor was somewhat different as well. Indications suggest that GL tries to rip of STM, SM1, and Iron MAn.

Between this and the WW TV pilot, I have become skeptical with DC Entertainment. WTF is Geoff Johns doing?

1) I agree this is disappoiting as a DC fan
2) The origin point is an interesting one. That's one reason why I said they shouldve gone with Wally West instead of Barry ALlen in a Flash movie, his origin is different from any that we've seen. But luckily it seems like the upcoming origin in Cap and MoS could be at least somewhat different
3) I too wonder what the hell Johns is doing. I think DC should get someone who isnt tied to the comics to do their movie things

I think it would be interest if Green Lantern isn't a hit but both Man of Steel and Rises are runaway hits.

What does DC/WB do then? I mean, the whole point of launching Green Lantern is to open the box of DC characters. But, if he doesn't work but Superman and Batman work, yet again, how does DC/WB go forward?

It would probably confirm to them what they've already long believed. That moviegoers don't care about DC's other heroes, and only want to see films about Batman and Superman.

I do not think anything has gone wrong,i think it's the concept that alot ocritics so far do not like.If these same critics started reading some of the comics of green lantern then i think they will not like them either.

Some of you guys should know better and should not panic,see the movie first and then you could come up with your own review.

1) I agree this is disappoiting as a DC fan
2) The origin point is an interesting one. That's one reason why I said they shouldve gone with Wally West instead of Barry ALlen in a Flash movie, his origin is different from any that we've seen. But luckily it seems like the upcoming origin in Cap and MoS could be at least somewhat different

I've before proposed the controversial idea that a Flash movie could be told from the perspective of the Rogues.

Soze,

You'd think Marvel would've gotten the backlash at first, considering the sheer volume of films they've done since 1998.

What has DC done?

Watchmen
Begins
Knight
Jonah Hex
Losers
Red
Superman Returns
V for Vendetta
Constantine

That doesn't even count the films that are based on DC imprints that nobody knew were based on comics. They haven't done a lot.

I'm tired of people judging this movie before they see it. WTF! Go watch the goddamn movie instead of coming with doom predictions for DC before they happen.

mace21 said:
I do not think anything has gone wrong,i think it's concept that some critics so far do not like.If these same critics started reading some of the comics of green lantern then i think they will not like that either.Some of you guys should know better and should not panic,see the movie first and then you could come up with your own review

That might be the case for some of the reviews, but not all of them. Empire is a very geek-friendly review source, and in their review they talk positively about Geoff Johns' run, and how the movie doesn't capture the essence of the comics.

If Superman is a hit ( which after SR ain't certain by any stretch) We may end up getting a Batman/Superman film .

DC really put all its egg in the wrong basket for their firstfilm with something as out there as GL . It shiould have been Flash or Wonder Woman .

And I would be done for films based omn charcters from the Bat family which maybe were headed if Batmsn is the only thing that sells , A Robin film etccc Nightwing ....

I've before proposed the controversial idea that a Flash movie could be told from the perspective of the Rogues.

Ya I think that's a bad idea. But I guess that's why you called it "controversial"

jmc,

Yeah, the ramifications could be extremely huge. DC, besides Superman and Batman, could be buried forever...

Even Superman isn't a lock at this stage.

I'm tired of people judging this movie before they see it. WTF! Go watch the goddamn movie instead of coming with doom predictions for DC before they happen.

I could also say stop making excuses for the film before you see it. I'm not slamming the movie, I won't comment on the specific qualities of the film until I see it for myself on Friday. But this is the review thread, and we can talk about the reviews and what the implications for the film could be if they're accurate.

DC really put all its egg in the wrong basket for their firstfilm with something as out there as GL . It shiould have been Flash or Wonder Woman .

I think Green Lantern is an easier sell than either of those franchises. Geoff Johns' run has made Green Lantern the number 3 DC property behind Batman and Superman. It's a superhero Star Wars, a sci-fi space opera. All the makings of a hit, if executed well.

jmc,

I think Man of Steel is a lock because of Snyder with involvement from Nolan, even if he's off shooting his own film.

Say what you will about Snyder, but he'll bring the heat when it comes to the action...which is what many Superman fans want anyway.

There's a lot of people at both WB and DCE right now that need to have a good, long, hard look at themselves.

Oh god. It is not looking good. That SHH review is just... :(

First signs of trouble was casting Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively .

How the hell is that one review a 5.5/10? I read the whole review and it doesn't match up with that rating. AT ALL.

it's not the end of the world.

transformers 2 was destroyed by reviewers and made a fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"