The Official Green Lantern Rumors/Speculation Thread - Part 1

In these ensemble flciks there's always that one "main character". They don't outright say it but you tell who gets more development.
Ya GOTG had 4 leads but Starlord was the main focus
Tell me, who was the main character in Avengers? Who was the main character in Age of Ultron? Who was the main character (other than Thanos) in Infinity War? Who was the main character in Dawn of Justice? And who was the main character in Justice League?

I’d like the 3 of them to be big and for it to feel like a team thing if they’re going to call it Corps. I’d be fine with Hal being the star for the first one while those 2 come through and take centre stage from then on.
This again presents a problem having Tom Cruise portray Hal Jordan though; if there's a sequel which would have Hal step away from the main role, Tom Cruise wouldn't be for that; he's all about stardom.

In any case, regardless where they go with a GLC film, I don't want Hal Jordan as the JL Lantern; they've already mixed up the team (a little) by having Cyborg over Hawkgirl or Martian Manhunter, so I'd like to see John or Jessica (or both) be the Lanterns for Earth. Them, along with Shazam will be the next JL inductees, hopefully they'll be able to launch a Hawkgirl film before the JL sequel too and then throw her into the mix also. I'd like to see a more balanced team (from the perspective of male-female ratio).

Tell me, who was the main character in Avengers? Who was the main character in Age of Ultron? Who was the main character (other than Thanos) in Infinity War? Who was the main character in Dawn of Justice? And who was the main character in Justice League?

That's why I didn't use these movies as examples, you could choose to do a team film with one person as the focus, or you can do a team film where the focus is spread out.

The ones with one character focus and a supporting team would be MI4-6, GOTG1+2, Blade 3, or TV shows like Titans (Dick's the focus), Mentalist (Baker with a team of support), Castle.....I can continue for days

Btw Dawn of Justice's main character is definitely Batman in the theatrical version, they cut out 30 minutes of Sup/Lois' scenes

Tony Stark, Tony Stark, Tony Stark, Batman and Batman. :oldrazz:

I'd say Cap and him kinda share it.

Btw Dawn of Justice's main character is definitely Batman in the theatrical version, they cut out 30 minutes of Sup/Lois' scenes

Can you blame them? i mean Batman IS BATMAN, most iconic superheroe ever :o :batman:

That's why I didn't use these movies as examples, you could choose to do a team film with one person as the focus, or you can do a team film where the focus is spread out.
I'd say Cap and him kinda share it.
The response was more to @terry78 who said there's always one main character, and yet now it's being said that Stark and Cap share the status, so that's more than two already. :rolleyes:

In any case, a GLC film doesn't need a main character; Bad Boys, Rush Hour, Lethal Weapon are perfectly balanced cop duos. There's ample other films out there (Hangover, Horrible Bosses, etc) that have a main trio.

The response was more to @terry78 who said there's always one main character, and yet now it's being said that Stark and Cap share the status, so that's more than two already. :rolleyes:

In any case, a GLC film doesn't need a main character; Bad Boys, Rush Hour, Lethal Weapon are perfectly balanced cop duos. There's ample other films out there (Hangover, Horrible Bosses, etc) that have a main trio.

Ya there're millions of ways to make it work, kalvin wants Hal to be the main focus so a GOTG approach is probably the middle ground, I don't mind a Hangover way neither, I just want a goddamn GLC movie now!

Ya there're millions of ways to make it work, kalvin wants Hal to be the main focus so a GOTG approach is probably the middle ground, I don't mind a Hangover way neither, I just want a goddamn GLC movie now!
I'm not completely against a Hal centric film, I'm just looking ahead and I think it would be nicer to have another woman on the Justice League (ala Jessica Cruz, with or without John Stewart). Regardless of whether a GLC film is a solo outing based on Hal, or a passing of the torch type focusing on someone else, I simply don't want Tom Cruise in the DCEU. Whatever can be done to keep him out of it gets my support. :cool:

haha they lost at least 20 tomatoes due to poor editing from Tsujihara

BetterFabulousKawala-size_restricted.gif

I don't need him to be the main focus, I just don't want him to play the Hank Pym role. If this is about equality, then let it be about equality, don't make it about "the main character and the sidekicks", regardless of who is playing what role.

Last edited:
I noticed WB removed the "Untitled DC Film" for July 24, 2020 after they announced the 2020 Nolan film and the 2021 DC films. But they still have April 3, 2020 booked, maybe as a failsafe for Birds of Prey if February looks too crowded?

They also booked a slate of 2021 and 2022 dates for 'Untitled Event' films on the following:

July 16, 2021
October 1, 2021
January 14, 2022
April 15, 2022
June 3, 2022
July 15, 2022
November 18, 2022

Now the 'Event' films could be any title WB has in development, but I think April and one of the summer 2022 titles are DC films. The July 2021 and 2022 dates are probably for the Crazy Rich Asian sequels.

I noticed WB removed the "Untitled DC Film" for July 24, 2020 after they announced the 2020 Nolan film and the 2021 DC films. But they still have April 3, 2020 booked, maybe as a failsafe for Birds of Prey if February looks too crowded?

They also booked a slate of 2021 and 2022 dates for 'Untitled Event' films on the following:

July 16, 2021
October 1, 2021
January 14, 2022
April 15, 2022
June 3, 2022
July 15, 2022
November 18, 2022

Now the 'Event' films could be any title WB has in development, but I think April and one of the summer 2022 titles are DC films. The July 2021 a

And 2022 dates are probably for the Crazy Rich Asian sequels.

Any dates for late 2020? Shazam 2 and New Gods could be bolters for that

June 2022 could be AM2, I think the next batch in line are prob Supergirl, Batgirl, GLC, Flash and Blue Beetles, on top of the existing films and their sequels.

If they bunch up bat and SS2 then they might be looking at a 3rd in 2021

Any dates for late 2020? Shazam 2 and New Gods could be bolters for that

June 2022 could be AM2, I think the next batch in line are prob Supergirl, Batgirl, GLC, Flash and Blue Beetles, on top of the existing films and their sequels.

If they bunch up bat and SS2 then they might be looking at a 3rd in 2021

There is still an Untitled Event Film scheduled for November 20, 2020. Since WB delayed filming for Fantastic Beasts 3 until the fall, another film will get that spot.

Whether it’s a DC film is up for debate.

I don't need him to be the main focus, I just don't want him to play the Hank Pym role. If this is about equality, then let it be about equality, don't make it about "the main character and the sidekicks", regardless of who is playing what role.
That’s what I want. Hal can be the senior member but let’s have a team of 3.

In any case, regardless where they go with a GLC film, I don't want Hal Jordan as the JL Lantern; they've already mixed up the team (a little) by having Cyborg over Hawkgirl or Martian Manhunter, so I'd like to see John or Jessica (or both) be the Lanterns for Earth. Them, along with Shazam will be the next JL inductees, hopefully they'll be able to launch a Hawkgirl film before the JL sequel too and then throw her into the mix also. I'd like to see a more balanced team (from the perspective of male-female ratio).
I want a situation where we can get many JL films, in the way that Avengers films can keep going. Over the course of that I’d be fine with them using different Lanterns. GLC really is a vital DC film IMO.

From Mark Hughes

We should also talk a moment about a couple of other major projects still out in the future for DC. The first is Ava DuVernay's New Gods project, which we are starting to hear some rumors about. DC going into the cosmic side of things in a big way is welcome news, and a sign they are willing to delve into their large library of lesser-known titles and characters for material to adapt on the big screen. Warner Bros. has in fact always been bold about taking risks on comic adaptations and visionary directors. After all, they brought us V for Vendetta and Watchmen, as well as starting the entire superhero cinematic genre with Superman: The Movie, and being the only studio to listen and understand the potential for a serious live-action adaptation of Batman back in the 1980s.

Which brings us to the other project down the road that needs to be mentioned here. Green Lantern Corps as a big space epic would also represent part of a cosmic corner of DC, and while it's probably unlikely to happen I would love to see Warner go all-in and let Geoff Johns write a full trilogy to be filmed back-to-back, akin to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit franchise. Treat it like the superhero version of Star Wars, with big ensemble casts performing with lots of wild creatures and planets spread across the universe, in a three-part story about a massive intergalactic war, adapting the best of Geoff Johns' own Green Lantern comic book stories (they're the best stories ever written in the character's comic book history).

Now throw in some casting like Tom Cruise, John Krasinski, Matt Damon, or Bradley Cooper as Hal Jordan and with Daniel Kaluuya, Stephan James, or Algee Smith as John Stewart. Add in a supporting cast with Ethan Hawke as Sinestro (channeling Vincent Price for the characterization) and Thandie Newton, Eva Mendes, or Penélope Cruz as Star Sapphire. Then get a director like F. Gary Gray, Kathryn Bigelow, Christopher McQuarrie, the Wachowskis, Mimi Leder, Dee Rees, Brad Bird, or J.J. Abrams for example, and we are talking about one heckuva big trilogy project with massive box office potential. Heck, I'd even say it's worth asking Steven Spielberg or Peter Jackson if they're interested in directing a three-film sci-fi space opera.

But you get the picture -- Green Lantern Corps could launch a blockbuster franchise that lends itself to an endless array of spinoff potential for different characters and situations. So keep New Godsand Green Lantern Corps in mind, then, as you contemplate the directions and scale the DC movies can pursue in the future, alongside the other projects we already know are in the works...

Shazam! Joker. Wonder Woman 1984. Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn). Supergirl. The Suicide Squad. The Batman. Batgirl. The Trench. Aquaman 2. New Gods. Green Lantern Corps.

So he's saying Supergirl is expected to come out n 2021, he said Batgirl in 2022 before, and now he's put GLC after New Gods, and apparently NG should be out by 2021 or early 2022......

could be not too far away guys

GLC isn’t coming until McQuarrie and Cruise finish up the next two M:I films.

Which would be the end of 2022 and GLC won't arrive till 2025 and TC will be 64 by then
I think the idea is for Hal Jordan to fulfill a role that’s reminiscent of Hank Pym in Ant-Man or Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon, so Hal’s age doesn’t matter much.

I think the idea is for Hal Jordan to fulfill a role that’s reminiscent of Hank Pym in Ant-Man or Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon, so Hal’s age doesn’t matter much.

I think he deserves better than being used as and old supporting character, especially after what they did to him last time. I used to overreact a lot when I heard this stuff about Hal being older because of the implications I get from it, but now I recognize that veteran Hal isn't the worst thing in the world because the character's portrayal has to be as different as possible from the 2011 version, but I think giving him the Hank Pym role would be a disservice to the character. The MCU really did Pym dirty and so far the DCEU has done to the same to Jordan so I hope he doesn't end up the same way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"