The Official Green Lantern Rumors/Speculation Thread - Part 1

I can see Sterling or Trevante Rhodes.

but why James? he seems a bit too old now

It’s going to go to Tom Cruise I bet. I’m so down. This is really the one hero role that actually makes sense for him. Hopefully he gets to flex his chops as Parallax too. Collateral has me wanting another villain role from Cruise

I would want Tom Cruise if he were younger but since he isn't Marsden is my pick or Armie Hammer or Jensen Ackles for Hal

Is this still even getting made? WB seems focused on making brand new DC movies besides the ones they announced forever ago.

Is this still even getting made? WB seems focused on making brand new DC movies besides the ones they announced forever ago.

It's supposed to be coming out in 2020, along with the Cyborg solo movie...

I think the original idea was to reintroduce him in Justice League 2 (that was supposed to come out in 2019, and come off of a successful first Justice League movie). And that would help garner interest in the 2020 GLC movie.

But since we all saw how Justice League turned out, I'd say say Green Lantern will be waiting a little longer for his time.

Everything is in flux right now. Last year's plans might as well have been a century ago.

The only thing we should be concerned with at the moment are the movies that are concrete.

What a GL movie has going for it is little to no association to the negative press surrounding the DCEU. The way JL turned out they are lucky GL wasn’t in it other than the ring that popped up in the flashback. Not that Aquaman can’t be successful despite its JL continuity, WW was, but GL doesn’t have much to do with the way the DCEU is right now. Plus by 2020 ppl will have forgotten about the 2011 GL that flopped if they haven’t already. Ryan Reynolds has done enough Deadpooling by now.

But GL is hit or miss. Its inherently hard to film b/c of how much CGI is required and the mere concept of millions of beings running around in spandex with magic green rings. How do you make that for real the way it’s been in the comics and not cheesy? Do it right and it can be like Star Wars. Do it wrong, it ends up like 2011. Still, if Marvel can make a hit franchise out of a group of misfits in outer space (including a talking raccoon and a tree that says ‘I am Groot’), WB/DC doesn’t have much excuse.

Honestly GL needs to feel inspired the way Avatar felt when it came out. Pair that with a plot that simple yet effective, and there might be something there.

Plus by 2020 ppl will have forgotten about the 2011 GL that flopped if they haven’t already. Ryan Reynolds has done enough Deadpooling by now.

Although some have complained they've had to wait so long to have GL back on the big screen I definitely think that WB/DC have done the right right thing putting as much 'distance' as they can between the 2011 movie and whatever version comes next.

Exactly and if a long wait is what has to happen then I say that's great because then you can build the hype back up

I'm really not digging these rumors about the script. I understand not wanting to use Hal as the main character and having Jessica Cruz be a focal point in the story. But why Simon Baz over John Stewart? I'd much rather see a movie where Jon is the lead (or co-lead) rather than a character who has been a round for less than a decade (and has the stupidest GL costume of all). I have no problem if Baz is in the movie but I'd much rather the male lead be John or Kyle.

I'm really not digging these rumors about the script. I understand not wanting to use Hal as the main character and having Jessica Cruz be a focal point in the story. But why Simon Baz over John Stewart? I'd much rather see a movie where Jon is the lead (or co-lead) rather than a character who has been a round for less than a decade (and has the stupidest GL costume of all). I have no problem if Baz is in the movie but I'd much rather the male lead be John or Kyle.

Completely agree.

I mean, the rumors come from 4chan so how legitimate could they possibly be? But if we were to humor them for a minute, to me it doesn't make a lot of sense to start with either Jessica or Simon, either. Save them for the sequel(s).

As far as I'm concerned Hal should be a lead character in any Green Lantern movie. The fact that he was the star of a bad movie doesn't mean they should just blacklist him or relegate him to a supporting role. He's the main guy after all. If not him, then sure, bring in John, or even Guy, do a Kyle Rayner tease in the end. But skipping all of them over for Baz and Cruz is kind of ridiculous.

What a GL movie has going for it is little to no association to the negative press surrounding the DCEU. The way JL turned out they are lucky GL wasn’t in it other than the ring that popped up in the flashback. Not that Aquaman can’t be successful despite its JL continuity, WW was, but GL doesn’t have much to do with the way the DCEU is right now. Plus by 2020 ppl will have forgotten about the 2011 GL that flopped if they haven’t already. Ryan Reynolds has done enough Deadpooling by now.

But GL is hit or miss. It's inherently hard to film b/c of how much CGI is required and the mere concept of millions of beings running around in spandex with magic green rings. How do you make that for real the way it’s been in the comics and not cheesy? Do it right and it can be like Star Wars. Do it wrong, it ends up like 2011.
By not doing it like Star Wars at all (thinking more like Star Trek instead) or not literally grounding it to the point of that GL movie (best scenes involved other lanterns & not on Earth).

For this to be like Star Wars, there can't be millions of ring bearers who cover every corner of the galaxy. They're already the empire. The villains are the rebels.

It's obvious they wanna go younger for the leads. That's the long and short of it. They consider John, Hal, and Guy as the old schoolers. Don't know where Kyle fits in.

I'm really not digging these rumors about the script. I understand not wanting to use Hal as the main character and having Jessica Cruz be a focal point in the story. But why Simon Baz over John Stewart?.

Jessica and Simon have been partners since the Rebirth launch. I'm not surprised that there's a chance that they'll be a cinematic pairing. Also, and perhaps more importantly, they're both creations of Geoff Johns.

Yeah, but Johns also has a hard on for Hal.

Hal's the linchpin of the Green Lantern story, so I would be utterly dismissing any rumors of doing a GL movie without him if this didn't involve Johns' personal creations. The prospect of seeing his brainchildren in live-action might be the one thing that causes him to bypass his love for golden/silver age stalwart characters like Hal.

Hal Jordan, John Stewart and Jessica Cruz would make for a perfect Trinity in the GL franchise. Those 3 are getting the most attention lately anyway, so it makes sense.

Hal Jordan, John Stewart and Jessica Cruz would make for a perfect Trinity in the GL franchise. Those 3 are getting the most attention lately anyway, so it makes sense.

I'd take that GL Trinity :up:

Jody Hill’s Green Lantern, starring Danny McBride as Guy Gardner.

Geoff Johns will be involved.

One of John’s first projects will be Green Lantern Corps, based on DC’s intergalactic police heroes which Johns is already very familiar with, having spent nine years writing Green Lantern comics and its spin-offs and publishing events. Johns will write the screenplay and act as one of the producers on the feature film. Johns is already writing and producing Wonder Woman 2 and will have a co-writing and executive producing credit on Aquaman, this year's only DC offering that opens in December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"