The Official Green Lantern Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
glcv9alta2zj.jpg

Cover for #9.

Looks nice but can't say I'm bothered about the story, yet, Batman with a Green Lantern ring really doesn't interest me.

looks like the ring finally found someone worthy...

brains and will
sounds good to me

Weak sauce. Batman doesn't need to be a GL. Also, shouldn't the Guardians be kind of wary of him? Parallax itself noted that Bruce was one of its "disciples." The man wraps himself in fear and is diametrically opposed to light. :o

question

can the GL corps defend their planet from Galactus and his herald(sp)????

TheCorpulent1 said:
Weak sauce. Batman doesn't need to be a GL. Also, shouldn't the Guardians be kind of wary of him? Parallax itself noted that Bruce was one of its "disciples." The man wraps himself in fear and is diametrically opposed to light. :o

I guess that means Doc Doom would be a bad choice as well?

Dr. Doom doesn't rely on darkness, shadows, and fear the way Batman does. :confused: He packs actual power comparable to Iron Man's in his armor, he's a great sorcerer, and he's got an entire nation of resoures at his disposal. How is that even remotely similar to Batman, who represents almost everything the GL oath denounces?
Marvin said:
question

The entire Corps? Hell yeah, if they worked together against Galactus. The herald would fold like a bad poker player within 2 minutes against 7200 Green Lanterns.

Marvin said:
question

LOL

If it OA,.. One Guardian would puase from playing checkers with Guy Gardner To swat Galactus and his Herald into the ajoining Galaxy.

If it were earth,... Any one of the GL's even the **** could handle the Herald,... While two or three gl's would push galactus through a warp into somewhere he'd have issue with,.. (event horizon of a Black Hole, Surface of a Gas Giant, Between Galaxies, etc,..) with a warning that they would kill witha a lil remorse if he wandered that way again.

they way ya'll make it sound, it's like silver surfer would be owned by a lantern...

they may loath batman, but he'd still be the best one

and wait...isn't galactus like the power cosmic personified?

all the power the surfer has is like a miinoote percentage of him?

I'm sure ganthat is crazy and all
and he's one of the six(or 5, can't remember) guys that protects the universe and he can make champions...like the wizard shazam..

but so can galactus...right?

I think Varient's overstating it a bit. I'm not sure exactly how much power the Guardians are packing these days, but I doubt it'd be that easy to get rid of Galactus. Although, if you think about it in terms of power distribution, Galactus lends portions of his power to about 10 other characters--Silver Surfer, Terrax, Morg, Tyrant, Air-Walker, Firelord, Stardust, Nova, the first herald (whose name I can't remember), and probably a few other heralds I can't remember at the moment--and those few other characters are some of the most powerful in the universe. The Guardians lend portions of their power to 7200 other characters, rendering them some of the most powerful beings in the universe. You do the math.

And I never said Batman wouldn't make a good GL. Obviously he's got loads of willpower and, given his arsenal and his plans, lots of imagination. But everything else about Batman's character runs completely opposite to everything about the Green Lantern Corps as a concept and an institution. His being a GL doesn't make any sense. It's not how he operates and, more likely than not, the Guardians wouldn't want someone like him as a GL. Hal was perfectly stable and normal before he got the ring and look what happened to him; imagine what might happen to a guy who's already a borderline sociopath.

I have the feeling Batman won't really be a GL, I think it will all tie into Hector Hammond.

That's my hope anyway, I don't want Batman having a GL ring in continuity.

Marvin said:
they way ya'll make it sound, it's like silver surfer would be owned by a lantern...

they may loath batman, but he'd still be the best one

All things being Equal,.. A green Lantern should Own the surfer,.. since they deal with willpower and imagination to manipulate a powersource that even spread among 7200 beings is great enough to maintain the atmosphere around the planet Earth,... Contain a star Going Nova, Move Planets around,... things the Surfer has never done.

Of course being a fan-fav,.. the Surfer is ALWAYS written as powerfull enough to take a lantern.

He or any Herald would get Owned by the GL corps,.. and Galactus would have worse than a bad hair day trying to come eat OA,.. It would only take one Guardian to driive him off.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I think Varient's overstating it a bit. I'm not sure exactly how much power the Guardians are packing these days, but I doubt it'd be that easy to get rid of Galactus. Although, if you think about it in terms of power distribution, Galactus lends portions of his power to about 10 other characters--Silver Surfer, Terrax, Morg, Tyrant, Air-Walker, Firelord, Stardust, Nova, the first herald (whose name I can't remember), and probably a few other heralds I can't remember at the moment--and those few other characters are some of the most powerful in the universe. The Guardians lend portions of their power to 7200 other characters, rendering them some of the most powerful beings in the universe. You do the math.

And I never said Batman wouldn't make a good GL. Obviously he's got loads of willpower and, given his arsenal and his plans, lots of imagination. But everything else about Batman's character runs completely opposite to everything about the Green Lantern Corps as a concept and an institution. His being a GL doesn't make any sense. It's not how he operates and, more likely than not, the Guardians wouldn't want someone like him as a GL. Hal was perfectly stable and normal before he got the ring and look what happened to him; imagine what might happen to a guy who's already a borderline sociopath.

That's what I was thinking when I said it,.. Galactus doesn't have 7200 Heralds, The Guardians do,.... Galactus feeds on planets, the Guardians manipulate an Energy Field that can restart stars.

He would get his feelings hurt.

TheCorpulent1 said:

What do mean borderline? It might not be that easy to defeat Galactus. Galactus not only eats power he has a vastly superhuman mind that might be capable of taking over control of the emerald energy from the lanterns and possibly even the guardians. Mantis of Apokalips once sucked the energy right out of Hal's ring when Hal tried to fight him and left the ring empty and depowered. Galactus is way beyond that.

Silicon Surfer said:
What do mean borderline? It might not be that easy to defeat Galactus. Galactus not only eats power he has a vastly superhuman mind that might be capable of taking over control of the emerald energy from the lanterns and possibly even the guardians. Mantis of Apokalips once sucked the energy right out of Hal's ring when Hal tried to fight him and left the ring empty and depowered. Galactus is way beyond that.
Apples and oranges,.. a writer would have to "twist" the way the Green Lantern tech works before you go there.

Up until recently,.. The green power couldn't be "drained" or "absorbed" and used by anything outside of OA. And if Galactus could do different sorts of power,.. why isn't he camped out near a Blue-White Star? ANY Star in our Galaxy emits more energy than the total possible from any living planet PER SECOND.

Nowadays Photon was able to suck the power out of a GL ring,.. and a GL ring was able to recharge from some Marvel comics device,... BLEH.

Bottom line,... Any group who can field their power out to thousands of ring bearers who could all move planets with that power is not gonna have issue with a being that can only eat planets.

And for a "superhuman mind" Galactus has done some pretty boneheaded stuff. If he could manipulate energy,.. He wouldn't need to "eat" planets, He wouldn't need to have some guy go find him planets to eat.

Varient said:
That's what I was thinking when I said it,.. Galactus doesn't have 7200 Heralds, The Guardians do,.... Galactus feeds on planets, the Guardians manipulate an Energy Field that can restart stars.
Varient said:

He would get his feelings hurt.

To base it on the whole Herald member count and what he eats theory is a little on the misleading side.

You gotta put that into context. Simply because Galactus doesn't have a bazillion heralds doesn't mean he can't. He's not looking to start the "Herald Corps." or something. Only certain beings who give themselves to his cause to look for planets for him to devour are heralds. Even then, he's picky as hell. Chances are, if you followed him, people would offer it to him, but he'd pass it up, seeing how he has other heralds, and just eat the planet.

As for the whole, "He only eats planets, what is he going to do to Guardians?" That kind of brings up the whole, "Why does he eat planets?" Which has to go with, "Which planets does he eat and why?"

See, Galactus can only eat certain things. That's like, why don't you eat rocks and other inorganic things? Technically, they contain most of the elements you need to survive. If it was just raw power he needed, then sure, he'd go around eating stars. There's millions of more stars in our galaxy alone than there are planets. Possibly billions. And if he could just eat ANY planet, he would've never seen Earth in the lifetime of the human race. Most comics featuring the reason why Galactus eats planets is that he consumes their actual life energy. Since he originated in the center of the universe, and our place in the universe, according to Marvel, really isn't that close at all. Factor it in, one planet a month, billions of planets, possibly trillions, before Earth. And don't forget the planet materials in the asteroids he could eat as a snack. Some comics say he consumes the forms of Celestials, who are basically as far above "gods", as "gods" are above simple ants on the ground. So going off the whole, "He only eats planets, what's he gonna do?" theory isn't just all that great.

Galactus himself wields all forms and levels of the power cosmic. To levels nobody can even imagine in the MU. Few things hold on par with him, and even fewer things are more powerful than he is. I believe only the Living Tribunal, and the One Above All are more powerful than he is. Which would basically be the most powerful being in the universe that delegates power balance, and the one who created the universe itself. I actually think Eternity is more powerful too. Maybe. I haven't really seen many feats of Eternity.

When he bestowed the power cosmic on the Silver Surfer, he wasn't delegating his own power as some sort of broadcast to the Silver Surfer, he connected the Silver Surfer, to a great extent, to the power cosmic itself, making him one with it. A thing he wouldn't do to the same extent ever again. Galactus' own powers make the Silver Surfer look like a little tadpole in an 8 oz. cup, with Galactus dropping a hydrogen bomb on top of it. As easily as he gave power to Norrin, he could take it away. But since it's of no real consequence for Norrin to have that power or not, he doesn't. He has the ability to grant life to inanimate objects, as well as bring those back from the dead if there's a body for it. (StormBreaker: Saga of Beta Ray Bill. The Alpha Ray.) His heralds can destroy planets pretty much all on their own. Except some of the weaker ones like Terrax. Silver Surfer has that power, and Stardust has that power. In fact, Stardust has the power to turn living beings into the stuff that makes stars, courtesy of Galactus. There's only a few sure fire ways to stop Galactus, but it requires objects that also have the power to destroy the universe. Extreme measures of power haven't ever seemed to have much more than dented Galactus' armor. (Though I hear that may have changed in the mini Galactus: The Devourer. I still need to read that. x.x But I only heard that his armor came off, and he just reverted to his true form, only to put his armor back on, and become the almighty Galactus again.) Odin, king of the Norse Gods, weilder of the omnipotent Odinforce, could only pretty much match up against Thanos. Thanos considers the Silver Surfer to be his greatest threat. And as Corpulent1 has pointed out in another thread, Thanos is pretty much a lazy plot device villan that's just suppossed to be so ungodly powerful, and capable of pretty much anything.

Long long long point short. You can't say a few things about Galactus without saying the WHOLE thing.

Galactus can absorb any kind of energy but most of it is only " empty calories".For "nutrition" he needs the energy that makes life possible. As I understand it it is not life energy itself that sustains him although he wouldn't let it go to waste if he's destroying the planet anyway.

Surfer is greater than any one Lantern. Yes, he could probably take on all of Earth's Green Lanterns and win rather handily. It's when you get outnumbered 7199: 1 that Surfer's going to have problems.

However, attacking Oa itself is another matter entirely. The Guardians of the Universe wield tremendous power (enough that, say, punking other cosmic beings is child's play to them), and on top of that you've got the 7200 man Corps featuring, you know, Mogo.

All the Lanterns and Guardians will beat Galactus and his Herald.

The really interesting thing is...Ion!
(like neo)

is the key here

he is the embodiment of all of the green lantern energy...oa's nrg...

he can essentially create life..

could he

blink Galactus out of existance?

I don't think even Ion's that powerful.

I wouldn't say the Surfer could beat all of Earth's GLs at once, either. I agree that he's got more power than any single Lantern, but if the Lanterns are being written at the top of their game, he doesn't have that much more power than they have. The GLs have pulled off some pretty amazing stuff with their rings, and the Earth GLs are the best the Corps has to offer. Kyle, John, Guy, and Hal would take the Surfer down, in my opinion.

Ion would totally blink Galactus out of existance. He'd be like, "dude, that costume sucks" and then be like "peace," then Galactus would go away and then Kyle would do that to Jade, too.

Quantum_Goddess said:

To base it on the whole Herald member count and what he eats theory is a little on the misleading side..[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

No,... It's not,... Galactus in his powers and abilities as far as what he can and cannot do is very inconsistant.

Just ready the saga of Frankie Ray,... you find out that Galactus isn't too powerful as he had to take a meta-human and tweak her to be a Herald because he was "too weak" to do a complete chane from baseline human.

That tells me that he doesn't have the juice to support / create more than a few heralds at a time. I state that based on Marvel Canon,.. he couldn't field 50 "herald-class" beings at once,.. let alone thousands like the Guardians do,... He doesn't have the power.
In ref to "what he eats?"
How come the Surfer is able to "create Life" and Make it so Shalla-bal could walk on a dead planet and bring it back to life,.. yet Galactus, the person who tied him to the power Cosmic which makes his powers possible can't do the same to feed himself?

Quantum_Goddess said:

You gotta put that into context. Simply because Galactus doesn't have a bazillion heralds doesn't mean he can't. He's not looking to start the "Herald Corps." or something. Only certain beings who give themselves to his cause to look for planets for him to devour are heralds. Even then, he's picky as hell. Chances are, if you followed him, people would offer it to him, but he'd pass it up, seeing how he has other heralds, and just eat the planet.

As for the whole, "He only eats planets, what is he going to do to Guardians?" That kind of brings up the whole, "Why does he eat planets?" Which has to go with, "Which planets does he eat and why?"

See, Galactus can only eat certain things. That's like, why don't you eat rocks and other inorganic things? Technically, they contain most of the elements you need to survive. If it was just raw power he needed, then sure, he'd go around eating stars. There's millions of more stars in our galaxy alone than there are planets. Possibly billions. And if he could just eat ANY planet, he would've never seen Earth in the lifetime of the human race. Most comics featuring the reason why Galactus eats planets is that he consumes their actual life energy. Since he originated in the center of the universe, and our place in the universe, according to Marvel, really isn't that close at all. Factor it in, one planet a month, billions of planets, possibly trillions, before Earth. And don't forget the planet materials in the asteroids he could eat as a snack. Some comics say he consumes the forms of Celestials, who are basically as far above "gods", as "gods" are above simple ants on the ground. So going off the whole, "He only eats planets, what's he gonna do?" theory isn't just all that great.
Bottom line here?
In feats,... Galactus falls shorts of what the Guardians do on the regular when they could be bothered,.....
Marvel almost always falls short when compared to DC because DC works in Absolutes - The main reason that Superman Beats out Thor, Flash Beats Out Quicksilver, Wonderwoman beats out Rogue, / Storm, / Ms. Marvel,/ She-Hulk, etc,...
They are Iconic - you just don't have powerful equiv's in Marvel,.. And the ones you do fill niches with real narrow parameters,... Phoenix comes to mind.

The Surfer is extremely powerful on a personal level,.. but falls short when dealing with someone who can keep up with him,.. mimic most of his effects, and out power him on the short-run.
(I give him his Props,.. I understand that the Surfer limits himself as to how much cosmic energy he uses at one time,.. there seems to be a reduction of intelligence in direct proportion to how much he pumps into himself for use. So in a long fight, surfer would keep ramping up until he could beat THAT Lantern.)
Quantum_Goddess said:

Galactus himself wields all forms and levels of the power cosmic. To levels nobody can even imagine in the MU. Few things hold on par with him, and even fewer things are more powerful than he is. I believe only the Living Tribunal, and the One Above All are more powerful than he is. Which would basically be the most powerful being in the universe that delegates power balance, and the one who created the universe itself. I actually think Eternity is more powerful too. Maybe. I haven't really seen many feats of Eternity.

When he bestowed the power cosmic on the Silver Surfer, he wasn't delegating his own power as some sort of broadcast to the Silver Surfer, he connected the Silver Surfer, to a great extent, to the power cosmic itself, making him one with it. A thing he wouldn't do to the same extent ever again. Galactus' own powers make the Silver Surfer look like a little tadpole in an 8 oz. cup, with Galactus dropping a hydrogen bomb on top of it. As easily as he gave power to Norrin, he could take it away. But since it's of no real consequence for Norrin to have that power or not, he doesn't. He has the ability to grant life to inanimate objects, as well as bring those back from the dead if there's a body for it. (StormBreaker: Saga of Beta Ray Bill. The Alpha Ray.) His heralds can destroy planets pretty much all on their own. Except some of the weaker ones like Terrax. Silver Surfer has that power, and Stardust has that power. In fact, Stardust has the power to turn living beings into the stuff that makes stars, courtesy of Galactus. There's only a few sure fire ways to stop Galactus, but it requires objects that also have the power to destroy the universe. Extreme measures of power haven't ever seemed to have much more than dented Galactus' armor. (Though I hear that may have changed in the mini Galactus: The Devourer. I still need to read that. x.x But I only heard that his armor came off, and he just reverted to his true form, only to put his armor back on, and become the almighty Galactus again.) Odin, king of the Norse Gods, weilder of the omnipotent Odinforce, could only pretty much match up against Thanos. Thanos considers the Silver Surfer to be his greatest threat. And as Corpulent1 has pointed out in another thread, Thanos is pretty much a lazy plot device villan that's just suppossed to be so ungodly powerful, and capable of pretty much anything.

Long long long point short. You can't say a few things about Galactus without saying the WHOLE thing.

Sigh,.. We are gonna go back and forth on this ain't we?

Varient said:
No,... It's not,... Galactus in his powers and abilities as far as what he can and cannot do is very inconsistant.

Just ready the saga of Frankie Ray,... you find out that Galactus isn't too powerful as he had to take a meta-human and tweak her to be a Herald because he was "too weak" to do a complete chane from baseline human.

That tells me that he doesn't have the juice to support / create more than a few heralds at a time. I state that based on Marvel Canon,.. he couldn't field 50 "herald-class" beings at once,.. let alone thousands like the Guardians do,... He doesn't have the power.
In ref to "what he eats?"
How come the Surfer is able to "create Life" and Make it so Shalla-bal could walk on a dead planet and bring it back to life,.. yet Galactus, the person who tied him to the power Cosmic which makes his powers possible can't do the same to feed himself?

One. Show me in Marvel Canon, or get someone else to support the whole "50 herald" limit. Second, and I can't believe I have to say this again. It's a certain energy Galactus feeds upon. One unspecified. And since it's unspecified, and it's probably damn rare (considering how much life there seems to be out in the universe) he can't just go around eating life. And the lack of knowledge on your part shows me you probably don't know TOO much about Galactus than the rather most obvious parts.

Varient said:
Bottom line here?
In feats,... Galactus falls shorts of what the Guardians do on the regular when they could be bothered,.....
Marvel almost always falls short when compared to DC because DC works in Absolutes - The main reason that Superman Beats out Thor, Flash Beats Out Quicksilver, Wonderwoman beats out Rogue, / Storm, / Ms. Marvel,/ She-Hulk, etc,...
They are Iconic - you just don't have powerful equiv's in Marvel,.. And the ones you do fill niches with real narrow parameters,... Phoenix comes to mind.

The Surfer is extremely powerful on a personal level,.. but falls short when dealing with someone who can keep up with him,.. mimic most of his effects, and out power him on the short-run.
(I give him his Props,.. I understand that the Surfer limits himself as to how much cosmic energy he uses at one time,.. there seems to be a reduction of intelligence in direct proportion to how much he pumps into himself for use. So in a long fight, surfer would keep ramping up until he could beat THAT Lantern.)

Sigh,.. We are gonna go back and forth on this ain't we?

Galactus is more or less like the Guardians in the whole "doesn't do anything that he doesn't have to do." Such as feed on planets. The guy's lazy as crap. He can feed on the planets WITHOUT machines. But he uses them anyway. He could probably find the planets himself. But he doesn't. That's what subjects are for.

Someone who's only four fears are the Infinite Gauntlet, Heart of the Universe, Ultimate Nullifier, and running out of a food source, probably is just a little bit more powerful. Since two of those terms would also scare the crap (if it could be scared) out of the Living Tribunal, who's an absolute in the MU.

*Sigh* Until you provide better proof.

sO,.....
This "unspecified rare energy" collects only on life bearing planets,.. that only the heralds can detect and identify as something Galactus can use?

Hmmmn.

I'm not gonna trade insults with someone who believes that Galactus is lazy enough to have sumbody go find his food,... and "limit it" (the laziness) to one guy at a time where if he had "real power" he'd have more than one person running around looking.
You need to say I don't know enough about Galactus to argue the point,.. Please yourself.

Life is too short when a person (You) can ignore Canon on the many times Galactus has been caught between a rock and a hard place by folk/beings way weaker than the Guardians of OA.

Need to be a Galactus Fan,.. More power to you.

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"