The Official Hype Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid to weigh myself. I haven't weighed myself since 2004, and I was 165 then. My weight took a huge jump upward in 2005, and slowly climbed throughout 2008. I didn't start to noticeably lose weight until summer 2008, but then I stopped dieting and working out throughout the 2008-2009 winter season. I got back on the wagon this spring, but my diet has been off for the past month.

Basically, I'm afraid that I weigh just as much now as I did 5 years ago-- maybe more. God knows I only got back to wearing my old clothes a few months ago.

Jag and Shadowboxing aren't around anymore... but Spoons still is so he might make fun of me for this. I went and got P90X and I'm going to give it a try. Just did the Chest/Back and the Ab Ripper right now and man... I'm shaking. I'm not an out of shape guy or anything but this was a really good workout. I'll keep you all up to date on how things progress... hopefully I can stick to this and my diet for the duration.

Hope we get good results SsM. :up:

Jag and Shadowboxing aren't around anymore... but Spoons still is so he might make fun of me for this. I went and got P90X and I'm going to give it a try. Just did the Chest/Back and the Ab Ripper right now and man... I'm shaking. I'm not an out of shape guy or anything but this was a really good workout. I'll keep you all up to date on how things progress... hopefully I can stick to this and my diet for the duration.

Jag and I have both said that P90X is a solid program. It isnt made for someone who wants to be a powerlifter or anything. But it is good for what it is designed for and may be perfect for your own goals. Yes, there is a stigma attached to workout videos and all thanks to Richard Simmons ans Tae Bo, but p90x is well designed. Good luck.

I'm more concerned with getting toned than weight loss. So this diet is probably going to be the true test with this regimen I'm trying out... but I want to see some abs dammit. Sooo... I'm going to stick with my tuna, chicken breast and my Foreman grill. Got any advice for some fast absorbing shakes?

I'm more concerned with getting toned than weight loss. So this diet is probably going to be the true test with this regimen I'm trying out... but I want to see some abs dammit. Sooo... I'm going to stick with my tuna, chicken breast and my Foreman grill. Got any advice for some fast absorbing shakes?

Well getting toned kind of goes with weight loss..at least fat loss. And that is something that P90X is definitely good for. You really should follow the diet portion as explained in the manual of the program for best results. Plenty of tuna and grilled chicken are recommended, so you wont have issues "keeping it real" with your Foreman Grill.

whey = fast
casein = slow

EXACTLY.

Yeah.. I just finished week two. I had to stop short of my legs and back workout because every time I did a pullup the other day something in my abdomen just ****ing Pulsated with immense amounts of pain. It's gone now for the most part. Don't know what the hell happened.

A follow-up yo what I wrote a few days ago...

I'm afraid to weigh myself. I haven't weighed myself since 2004, and I was 165 then. My weight took a huge jump upward in 2005, and slowly climbed throughout 2008. I didn't start to noticeably lose weight until summer 2008, but then I stopped dieting and working out throughout the 2008-2009 winter season. I got back on the wagon this spring, but my diet has been off for the past month.

Basically, I'm afraid that I weigh just as much now as I did 5 years ago-- maybe more. God knows I only got back to wearing my old clothes a few months ago.

First of all, I meant 265, not 165. I wish that typo was true. Well, not really. I like being able to resist high winds.

Anyway, I weighed myself after my workout today. I was 239 (give or take my shoes and sweaty clothes). So the good news is that I've taken off however much weight I gained from 2005 to 2008. The slightly less good but still good nonetheless news is that I'm only 26lbs lighter than I used to be, which means at best I look about the same size I did when I was 19-20. The sad/good mixed truth: I'm 239lbs with a high body fat percentage, but this is the healthiest I've been in my adult life. :yay: :csad:

Anybody have any tips on how I can get a better tricep work out from doing pullups? I don't feel it in my tris as much as I'd like to, even with wide grip.

...no. lol The reason I ask is cause the only way (without using free weights) I can really work my triceps is with various pushups and dips. I don't feel it the same way in my triceps when I do pullups (though it works everything else really well) so I was wondering if I could do something to work my triceps better or more vigorously doing pullups.

Did some squats and lat down pulls today. Then shot some ball and play some 21. Even with a sore lower-mid back I still play ball. Cause I am tough.

Well, the pullup isn't really a tricep workout. It works your back and biceps. Triceps are worked with pushing movements, not pulling. If you're feeling anything in your triceps at all during a pulling movement, it's because you just happen to be tensing your entire arm.

Well, the pullup isn't really a tricep workout. It works your back and biceps. Triceps are worked with pushing movements, not pulling. If you're feeling anything in your triceps at all during a pulling movement, it's because you just happen to be tensing your entire arm.
That explains a lot. Thanks for that, Manic.

On a related note, the hanging ab straps are awesome. :up: I love how you have to stabilize yourself to keep from swinging.

EDIT Sorry if I seem like a newb, but I've basically been doing freeweights as my work outs for the past few years and now I'm doing excercises where you lift your body weight and plyometrics and such to gain overall strength and stability. I'm feeling my workouts a lot more now then I used to so I'm pretty excited about that.

Last edited:
It was leg day today. I've been putting off real squats literally the entire time I've been working out. I've been using a machine with one of those pulley systems to do leg presses. I used nearly all of the weight on the machine today. I don't really have a choice now. I've got to do proper squats. Anyone have any tips for doing weighted squats for the first time? I'm assuming, of course, that I won't be able to squat nearly as much with real weight as I could on the machine.

It was leg day today. I've been putting off real squats literally the entire time I've been working out. I've been using a machine with one of those pulley systems to do leg presses. I used nearly all of the weight on the machine today. I don't really have a choice now. I've got to do proper squats. Anyone have any tips for doing weighted squats for the first time? I'm assuming, of course, that I won't be able to squat nearly as much with real weight as I could on the machine.

Yeah man, go light, take your time.

Look straight forward
Arch your back and stick out your butt
Keep your heels on the ground
Go down low, no half-squats :argh:. You don't have to do a full ATG right away though
Rest the bar on top of your traps, not in your spine

Added some skullcrushers to my tricep workout, damn they were hurting afterwards especially when i was doing my dips. :D

I tried doing those once. I felt it working my chest, and I usually do my arm workouts while my chest is still recovering. I had to stop.

You may have been moving your arms too much, only from your elbows to fingers should move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"