The Official Metal Gear Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what events occur in PW because I've never played it and I don't own a psp. But what I want on THE PS3, is, to see BB lose it and fully become the "villain" and an updated remake of MG and MG2.

I still think the PSP was a good place for PW. I mean, it does suck since I don't have a PSP, but unessential prequels and spin-offs really shouldn't take up the time and budget of the main development team.

I don't think it's an unessential prequel or spin-off, because (atleast as it's been setup, pitched, and marketed) it's supposed to fill in the gaps between how Naked Snake, now Big Boss after MGS3, became THE Big Boss that ultimately went to extremes.

Honestly, Metal Gear Solid Rising appears to fit the unessential spin-off bill moreso, because it doesn't seem to have anything new to add to the story arc that reaches across all the MGS games.

Not really when he flat out said that Rising is being developed by a side team at Konami while the core Metal Gear Solid 4 team worked on Peace Walker. And while not flat out saying it, pretty much said that Rising is Konami's corporate ****e baby.

Yeah, I remember there was a sentiment that Rising was out of bounds or something. I'm sure some of those comments, even some backhanded comments by Kojima, are probably linked a few pages back on this thread.

I don't know what events occur in PW because I've never played it and I don't own a psp. But what I want on THE PS3, is, to see BB lose it and fully become the "villain" and an updated remake of MG and MG2.

I have a long list of requests for Kojima. I want MGS and MGS: Solid Snake remade as well. I then want a MGS HD Collection consisting of MGS, MGS2, MGS3: Snake Eater and MGS: Peace Walker.

A Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 remake would be awesome.

An HD Collection of Snake Eater would really be fantastic. I'm not so eager to revisit MGS2, and I wonder how much they could update MGS to make it a part of the HD Collection.

I wonder if the gamecube version could be used to make that happen...

Yeah, they would almost have to use The Twin Snakes. I'm in no REAL hurry to play through 2 again either... but give me trophies (including a Plat.) and I'll do it.

I don't think it's an unessential prequel or spin-off, because (atleast as it's been setup, pitched, and marketed) it's supposed to fill in the gaps between how Naked Snake, now Big Boss after MGS3, became THE Big Boss that ultimately went to extremes.

Yeah, but why is that gap essential to understanding anything in the main, complete narrative? What holes are left if we leave that? Ultimately, none. Going into more detail with a character's isn't always necessary to the story, even if a character is an important one. Sure, it's cool to actually see it and all, instead of just knowing, but hardly something that leaves a gap like leaving MGS3 out would've.

Of course, again, not talking about the quality of the game, though. But it is what it is.

Last edited:
Speaking of, though, interesting little bit of information:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/13/kojima-productions-recruiting-more-metal-gear-staff/

Otacon: Snake! I was looking at Konami's website and saw that Kojima Productions is hiring staff to make the "next generation" of Metal Gear Solid.
Snake: Metal Gear!
Otacon: Right, Snake, people to work on the next generation of Metal Gear Solid games.
Snake: Next-generation special forces?!
Otacon: Well, I guess you could call them that. Konami is hiring designers, programmers and artists.
Snake: They're building an army!
Otacon: They could just need some additional staff to work on Metal Gear Solid: Rising, Snake. You remember, the one starring Raiden.
Snake: Raiden!
Otacon: ...
Snake: Otacon?!
Otacon: What is it, Snake?
Snake: Tell the story again about the time I drove a ... Metal Gear!
Codec: *click*

Yeah, but why is that gap essential to understanding anything in the main, complete narrative? What holes are left if we leave that? Ultimately, none. Going into more detail with a character's isn't always necessary to the story, even if a character is an important one. Sure, it's cool to actually see it and all, instead of just knowing, but hardly something that leaves a gap like leaving MGS3 out would've.

Of course, again, not talking about the quality of the game, though. But it is what it is.

Well, I'm not exactly saying it IS essential...because I haven't played it. I'm not entirely sure what the story is about except for a synopsis here and there that I've read.

I am saying, however, that I could probably make a better case for Peace Walker to be a console game than I could for Rising, if we're going by unessential spin-off-stories.

I think the gap between MGS3 and MG or MGS could be seen as essential, because the people we knew in MGS3 seemed to gone through alot of changes.

Basically, the ton of exposition near the end of Eastern Europe where Big Mama talks for quite a while could be seen as essential. Atleast, compared to Raiden's story.

Well, I'm not exactly saying it IS essential...because I haven't played it. I'm not entirely sure what the story is about except for a synopsis here and there that I've read.

I am saying, however, that I could probably make a better case for Peace Walker to be a console game than I could for Rising, if we're going by unessential spin-off-stories.

I think the gap between MGS3 and MG or MGS could be seen as essential, because the people we knew in MGS3 seemed to gone through alot of changes.

Basically, the ton of exposition near the end of Eastern Europe where Big Mama talks for quite a while could be seen as essential. Atleast, compared to Raiden's story.

Well, yeah, to a degree and everything, but we already know what happened, we would just be seeing it. It's not like MGS3 were they introduce these peoples and concepts. We'd be totally lost without any knowledge of what happened, and of course it repaints BB in a new light.

I think the story in PW is probably the more important (and better) one of the two. I mean, really, what the hell does it matter what happened with Raiden between MGS2 & 4? Like, I mean, seriously. However, I think there might be more of case for it being a console game:

1. Technically, it would probably be difficult to pull off on a handheld.

2. If this is the new direction the series is going to take in the future (I kind of hope not, but theoretically), you want that new direction to be set up front and center.

Hey I'm curious as to what happened to Raiden during that time.

I'm actually really excited for Rising.

Well, yeah...I am too. And the basic story that I've read on what happened to Raiden is actually really cool, and ultimately ****ing tragic. It should be a good story if they keep to what they've already written in.

I just think that if Peace Walker does what it appears to do, and what I guess it's been advertised, building upon the storyline of Big Boss' division with Zero and how that led to everything that happened in the future...that sounds like a story worth telling on a console.

The Metal Gear franchise has been everywhere, nintendo-ps3-3ds now. It's been years and years full of games having being set all in the same universe/story timeline. If the post about "next generation of metal gear solid games" means they're going to go ahead and make more (more as in plural) I would hope they start remaking games with original gameplay/content, but don't mess with the story too much...

That's just my personal opinion, I'd rather see remakes of all metal gear solid games though MGS-3 could include all the psp versions remade through a series of chapters, MGS could include MG/MG2/MGS in the same way. MGS2 could include Rising as the 3rd chapter, and MGS4 can just be expanded version of MGS4.

I hope this wouldn't happen right away because I still enjoy going back and revisiting the games how they are, but in the future I hope they don't make knock off after knock off and make the story EXTREMELY out there, but just enhance the series and redistribute it for old timers/new people alike.

This won't happen. Most likely they'll make more Raiden games, or Big Boss games, or convert MG into an MGS game but change it to be something entirely different. They'll make their money. This was only my dream vision of being able to play through the entire epic story all in updated graphics/cut scenes all on the same system/technology.

I'm glad the movie was cancelled. I was excited at first but it wouldn't be good as a live action movie. CGI it would...but we have the games for that. If they make something along the same lines of FF VII: Advent Children, cool.

Yes I would settle for HD versions of the others.

Well, well looky here. This rumor has just popped up again.

An HD reworking of the original Metal Gear Solid trilogy is on the way to PS3, according to 'insider whispers' heard by the ears of the UK's Official PlayStation Magazine.

In the mag's new issue, in stores now, it reports that Snake is "in the facelift queue", and that the "first three" MGS games are set to be reborn in High Definition.

No details of release window, price or whether the trilogy will be a boxed or digital product are given.

However, any reworking of Kojima-san's much-loved original trio will be music to the ears of PlayStation nuts, with the games still very much considered classics of the genre.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots is currently the only MGS title to be released for PS3. It enjoys a very healthy 94 per cent average review score on Metacritic. Could it be joined by its predecessors in full HD later this year?

We've contacted Sony for comment.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/284819/news/metal-gear-solid-hd-trilogy-coming-to-ps3/

Day 1 for me it turns out to be real.

That would be so cool. I was thinking of buying the Twin Snakes for gamecube as i have been wanting to play through MGS again, but i just cant play the original anymore. Hopefully the HD upgrade will help.

Ah, kind of cool I guess. Not sure how much the HD would help them in the long run. How has it helped some of the other releases like GOW trilogy and POP trilogy?

Hard to tell...but I would imagine that you allow people to go back, get into it, and potentially have future buyers for any newer versions, ie: Rising.

Sony would love to do it, I bet. They have a fantastic backlog on the PS2 alone that could be a big deal for PS3 owners. Especially the ones like me, who don't have a backwards compatible PS3.

Ah, kind of cool I guess. Not sure how much the HD would help them in the long run. How has it helped some of the other releases like GOW trilogy and POP trilogy?

It depends on who is working on them. GOW was fantastic, but POP was terrible. It's a wait and see thing I guess with MGS.

I don't think it'll turn out to be true, based on the mag anyways. The rumor section of OPM just regurgitates past internet rumors most of which have already been confirmed or denied by publication.

Still, hopefully it stirs up enough buisiness so people know what we want.

I think it has to be true. Kojima isn't content with ANY game... I mean, he said he wanted to stick more in MGS4 before. I mean, I find it hard to believe that all these developers are putting out HD ports of their games and Kojima is content with NOT doing that.

No way.

Kind of a slow news day, but I saw this from Kojima via Twitter.

I brought back a character I killed before. Kind of cool.

I know it doesn't say a MGS character, but it's fun to speculate. Who do you guys think it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"