The Official Musical Theatre Thread II - Part 2

There should be a tour of like a Justice League of Broadway divas. Idina, Cheno and Salonga, add in Jessie Mueller and Patina Miller to round out the vocal range.
Keep it!

Is it customary and good etiquette to bring flowers for a female friend if she's performing in a theatre production and I'm going to watch her? Is it necessary? Will it seem impolite not to bring it, as if I don't appreciate her performance? And if I were to give it, where do I keep it during the performance? Do I just sit with it in the auditorium and give it after the show?

It's not necessary, but it's a nice gesture.

Probably best to keep it on you, and give it to her after the show. Unless she is the sole female lead, then in that case you can give her a diva moment and throw it onstage when she does her bow (assuming of course that this is a local or regional production, and that your friend is not Patti Lupone, by which such an action may get you tasered).

Geez, best score, really? The bullied millennials have finally taken over Broadway.

RBJ. :hrt: The one award I actually want Evan Hansen to win tonight.

The evil Leading Player gives Katherine a Tony Award. :hehe:

Seeing the Rockettes dance makes me wish Bob Fosse was still alive ... giving syphilis to half of these girls.

Holy ****, CFA best director. The night got interesting.

Rachel Slay Jones and Gavin Creel :weeps:

Holy ****, what Spacey and Palminteri are doing.

Bette just slayed me

Well, at least the poster I have is worth money now.

I finally saw Miss Saigon tonight. Loved it. My inner 16-year-old who played that CD to death when I was in high school was grinning big time at the first sound of the helicopter when the show started. And you know, cried for the rest of it. God, that ending...

I saw Groundhog Day last week, that was a lot of fun.

Next weekend, I’m surprising my mom for her birthday. We’re seeing the matinee of Hamilton on Saturday, but she doesn’t know we also have tickets for Sunset Blvd that night. It’s one of her favorite movies, one of her favorite musicals, Glenn Close as Norma is one of her favorite things ever. She saw the revival with my dad a few months ago, but I know she’d love to see it one more time before it closes (and it’s closing the next day!). So hopefully she’ll be surprised!

thats very cool :up:
she's going to love it

Saigon is my second favorite show this past season, after Dolly.

Next weekend, I’m surprising my mom for her birthday. We’re seeing the matinee of Hamilton on Saturday, but she doesn’t know we also have tickets for Sunset Blvd that night. It’s one of her favorite movies, one of her favorite musicals, Glenn Close as Norma is one of her favorite things ever. She saw the revival with my dad a few months ago, but I know she’d love to see it one more time before it closes (and it’s closing the next day!). So hopefully she’ll be surprised!

The guy playing Joe Gillis in this version ... :hmr:

Saigon is my second favorite show this past season, after Dolly.

It was a really good production. It’s definitely a little grittier this time around, plus they’ve revised some of the more cringeworthy moments from the original production, like that godawful Big Mac line. Although, after all these years, they still haven’t figured out what to do with Ellen. I think they’ve given her 3 different songs, and none of them have ever really worked.

Eva was amazing - she definitely reminded me quite a bit of Lea Salonga. That scene where she goes full mama bear on Thuy is one of my favorite scenes, and she did great. Like Lea, it was amazing that she was that young and commanding everything on that stage. Can’t wait to see where she goes from here.

And Jon Jon was terrific, he totally should have been nominated!

So glad I finally got to see it, I’ve been trying to get there for months. Decided to go to TKTS after work and managed to get a 10th row orchestra center seat, so that worked out. :up:

The guy playing Joe Gillis in this version ... :hmr:

I know, I saw it back in March. He was... :ilv:

is there an online archive or anything where you can watch OBC's of productions? would love to see some older casts and productions etc

is there an online archive or anything where you can watch OBC's of productions? would love to see some older casts and productions etc

Generally speaking, I don't think so. There are a few Live From Lincoln Centre and American Playhouse productions you get to see on DVD and/or youtube that resemble OBCs (Sunday in the Park with George, Into the Woods, A Little Night Music, Passion, Sweeney Todd).

Now, if you are in NYC physically, that's a different story. Accessing the performing arts archives at the Lincoln Centre library is surprisingly easy, and it's free. There's a king's ransom in archived, video-recorded theatre productions there. When I go to NYC now, most of my free time in the day is spent there.

im going to have to look into this Lincoln Centre Library thing

im going to have to look into this Lincoln Centre Library thing

If you are ever planning a trip to NYC, let me know, and I will fill you in step by step on how you view the archives.

I'm at the final performance of Sunset Boulevard and Andrew Lloyd Webber is in the audience. As a true Phanatic, it's pretty cool to see him in person.

Saw Sunset last Thursday... no comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"