The Dark Knight Rises The Official Nolan-Verse Character Fighting Style Thread

Reaction score
This conversation has been brought up a couple of times in other threads, and I thought it was worthy of its own thread (I'm biased, as I'm a martial artist :p).

Just a little run-down, the only real technical fighting style used prominently so far is the Keysi Fighting Method, which is what Batman uses. I'd personally like to see some other fighting styles used for other characters such as Catwoman, Deathstroke, etc.

Personally, I'd like to see Ray Park play the body of Deathstroke. In case you don't know, Ray Park has a Shaolin Kung-Fu and Wushu background. I think a Shaolin vs. Keysi fight between Deathstroke and Batman would be freakin' insane.

Catwoman, I'd like to see something like this (this was pointed out on another website, and I liked it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW2GPQ9YUR0

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW2GPQ9YUR0[/YT]

I'd rather less break dancing moves and more Capoeira moves, personally (the stuff like balancing on the head and spinning, and holding him/herself up on the side of the head is the stuff I would cut out). I think a fighting style like Capoeira would be quite nice for Catwoman.

Bane was also brought up... As he appears to be "less of a martial artist" to many people. He surely has some training, but his style would likely be something much more power and street-based, like Krav Maga (although the Keysi Fighting Method would likely be used for Bane as well).

Thoughts? Ideas? Especially on other characters?

Sweet thread idea. While I like the keysi style I would like to see more of it in the third film. It's so interesting to watch, but I feel like we haven't even really been given a proper dose of it yet. Watching Batman throw 'bows in the parking garage scene was fantastic, but it was over too quickly. Before people jump and say, "but Batman should dispatch with normal thugs quickly" realize I agree, I just want to see more fights. The scene in the nightclub looked like it would have been pretty cool if I could have seen what was happening, but that had more to do with the fact that it was a really dark location and less with the camera work. I think Nolan did a far better job of framing the action this go-round.

I enjoy that part too. I guess I just want the fights to be expanded on a bit. I also wouldn't mind some chatter from the goons. I'm talking about something in the same vein as the comics where you often hear them shouting about broken bones and being in pain and so forth. I always enjoy those bits of the fighting panels.

Or the Joker's style...make dog noises and fight dirty :hoboj:

^^That's cool, but it seems a bit much for me. I want Catwoman to be agile and stuff, but all that seemed over the top. Like it seems like if someone was doing all those cartwheels while he/she and I were fighting I would just pick a time when they were upside-down and tackle them. lol that's just me though.

No I'm not a martial artist, but in my experience if you're stronger and heavier than someone the best place to be is on top of them in a fight. It is cool looking though.

my dads 1st degree black belt in karate, i would like to see some escrima and shotokahn, maybe hapkido, im a mortal kombat freak so, yep, thats me, maybe muy thai

We're discussing fighting in a word thread.

How borring.

I'll take any of you on for real in my backyard. My dogs arrre hUngryie!

I don't really see a Selina type person to have time nor a place to practice Capoeira...

...And I find Ray Park to be just amazing...Totally wasted on Toad...!

Double...

Last edited:
she is a rich socialite, she most likey could buy, in cash, in disquise, a place to train, there are books, movies, if you study something to a certain piont its like being trained in it

okay maybe i said what i saud wrong, you do need soem training, and im a big mk geek so how bout silat, hung gar, choy la fut, tai tzu

I want a clear shot fight scene from Batman, outside of his Bat suit. Shirtless.

I've always picture Batman as having multiple styles, not just one, in this case the KFM. I want to see him combine different styles, switch styles mid fight you know?

And if I'm honest, the fight scenes in TDK left a lot to be desired for me. The only one that looked good was the fight in the club and the fight with Joker, but that was mainly because Joker just went off his nut.

All the other fights seemed too slow and choreographed, they didn't seem natural. People were bracing themselves too early, people were falling over before being hit. It just looked ridiculous. They need to sort it out.

Umm, what about just guns? The classic "get ready to fight poses", and then the villian just whips out a MG42 and blows everyone away, even the henchmen that Batman is using for hostage. I mean c'mon, you have a scene with 10 gunmen, and Batman comes in and starts kicking their asses, and no one shoots at him because they are afraid they will hit their buddies? I am sorry, but if you are in a gang with me and that situation develops, I am emptying my gun on the threat, no matter who is in the way. If I was a trained marine I might think different, but as a simple goon with self preservation in mind, well, you get the picture.

Craziest thing I see in the movies constantly is the bad guy takes a hostage, and then tells the good guys to drop their guns or back off or some crap, and the good guys got nothing in front of them. If I got a hostage in front of me, I am shooting the good guys, not talking to them. I got protection two ways - they don't want to shoot the hostage, and if they shoot at me the hostage might stop the bullet, and they got nothing.

I've always picture Batman as having multiple styles, not just one, in this case the KFM. I want to see him combine different styles, switch styles mid fight you know?

And if I'm honest, the fight scenes in TDK left a lot to be desired for me. The only one that looked good was the fight in the club and the fight with Joker, but that was mainly because Joker just went off his nut.

All the other fights seemed too slow and choreographed, they didn't seem natural. People were bracing themselves too early, people were falling over before being hit. It just looked ridiculous. They need to sort it out.

Are you saying you want to see Batman trained by Mr. Miyagi in addition to the League of Shadows?

batman should be doign aikido, maximum effect for minimum effort. I don't want to see him flying aroudn the screen, just maliciously taking people out and making it seem natural.

this thrown in with misdirection makes for glorious scenes.

I think bane should be a street-fighter( not the game) but a kind of rough fighting style.
ANd i don't agree catwoman doing capoeira i see her more doing gymnastics but no capoeira.

Are you saying you want to see Batman trained by Mr. Miyagi in addition to the League of Shadows?

Batman is a character who has immersed himself in everything; who has trained himself and pushed himself to be experienced in all so he is prepared for certain situations. You wanna be a good fighter? Then you learn multiple styles, incorporate them with one another or at least know when to use them or how to counter them with something more effective. The LoS isn't the only place he learned things from I'm sure.

yeah i thought the fighting in the building site scene with jokers men was kinda slow and i just didnt find it believable it looked to coreographed.

Women don't look sexy fighting topless :oldrazz:

now this. i want.

begins1052333886jq6.jpg

I'm not trying to come off like an ass here (so forgive me if I do), but do you know anything about any of these styles? Or are you asking about them to learn more?
i play enough of the new mk games i have a general idea of what they are

The problem here: Gymnastics is not a fighting style. She'd need a very agile form of combat, and one of the most agile martial arts (non-Traditional Asian) is Capoeira, hence why I suggested it.

I know but give here a sort of kicking boxing style with high-kicks and things like that ( didn't Ted grant show her how to fight ?). I have done capoeira and i just don't imagine catwoman doing it, just the moving about and the low-kicks. sorry but i just don't see her fighting in that style

she should know some thing dfast we all agree, we just need to know what, how about jeet kun do, just an idea since its relativly fast and small agile peopel can knock big people on their ass really easy with it, look at bruce lee

bane has his own fighting style he developed in prison, it could be a combo of kickboxing and something else, maybe of multiple styles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"