Status
Not open for further replies.
So what exactly is the upgrade here?
The graphics can be better.

Normal
D1Dz1Cn.jpg

Pro
chlM4Od.jpg

Those images look almost the same to me and the full size ones look rather blurry and not representative of either

ETA: I think you may have messed up bc the watermark says both are Pro images

Those images look almost the same to me and the full size ones look rather blurry and not representative of either

I think one of the issues is that it's a screencap of a 4K image, as opposed to one at 4K resolution like that Spidey pic that went out. So detail-wise, they look poor.

But you can notice some effects like light rays and more detailed foliage.

I dont see the problem with that. Its 2016, not 1996. Thats the direction the industry has moved in. When it comes to the PS4, people will always directly compare it to the PS3, and as a successor, its disappointing that it cant do everything it did. I dont see what size has to do with anything bc outside of having cell processor for PS3 BC, alot of whats been left out of the PS4 is stuff that can be handled via a firmware update. Having a 4K BR drive to play the new discs that are out there, wont make the system larger as it would simply be replacing the drive in there now.
But doing it would be more costly, right?
With people doing such a big deal out of it, maybe they'll release a version next year with a 4k drive, but at a higher cost.

But doing it would be more costly, right?
With people doing such a big deal out of it, maybe they'll release a version next year with a 4k drive, but at a higher cost.

That would be an awful business move and at this point, they need to just stick with what they've dealt and wait till the PS5 to add in a 4K drive. It would be more costly, but I dont think the cost would be signifcant considering the Xbox 1S has one and is far less exspensive.

Honestly the Pro does not need to exist. They really should have just had the PS4 Slim poised to be the new model and incorporate these 4K and HDR (which will come via firmware) features into it and called it a day. They could have had that be $300 with 500GB and a higher end model with a UHD drive and 1TB for $350

Remember when consoles pretty much had untapped potential and the developers were the ones that had to bring it out as opposed to upgrading to a new 1.5 system? Donkey Kong Country on SNES was a prime example. People were ****ting themselves when they saw those graphics.

They showed comparisons like that. There is more grass and detail. Yes those are blurry but you can see that there is a difference.

I finally watched the full conference last night.

At the start of the Pro reveal, they basically said they want the Pro to be the best place to enjoy 4K and HDR content. And yet........they don't include a 4K player. Really??!

As for the visible difference offered by the Pro, I know it's kind of hard to tell watching on a laptop screen that is definitely not 4K......lol. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference. The only part where I could tell a difference is when they showed that San Francisco bay picture without HDR and then with HDR. And, to be honest, the HDR version looked worse and oversaturated.

So, no, I couldn't tell or see much of a difference. However, I would have been willing to take them up on their word. Based on the meeting alone, the Pro would have been a day one upgrade for me - if nothing else, to get a more powerful PS4 that's "future proof" with 4K tech.

Then, I read it doesn't include a 4K player and that almost becomes a dealbreaker for me. Instant buy suddenly goes to maybe buy.

The S is less powerful than the Pro, yet it offers more features and functionality. I can buy the S and replace multiple devices - game machine, basic laptop, and 4K media machine. With the Pro, I'd still have to buy multiple devices because the Pro/PS4 either lacks the feature entirely ( can't play audio CDs, no 4K player with the Pro ) or doesn't do it very well ( the web browser ).

That's not a smart move, Sony.

The one advantage the Pro has is the power advantage. So now, for me, it's a debate between functionality and power and exclusives.

But, I wanted clarity after yesterday's conference. Instead, I'm still left in a dilemma. And you all know me - Mr. wishy washy Rapunzel X Knight. :o

Last edited:
T2htWmG.png

Looks like it's confirmed. Now I have no intention to buy this. At least until my current PS4 dies.
Well I won't be needing this then. No wonder this thing is so cheap, it seems to not really be all that much of an upgrade.

which is funny as the Xbox One S plays 4K blu rays

which is funny as the Xbox One S plays 4K blu rays

yeah. which is why it's a bs move on Sony's part.

why push the consumer towards 4k, after only 3 years into the console cycle, if you aren't going to go all in with the tech?

so, according to this article, Sony should technically be able to update the Pro to allow 4K Blu-ray via firmware update?

http://www.dvdreview.com/2016/09/ps...iscs-no-doubt-short-lived/?platform=hootsuite
That was a reasonable explanation.
So, basically, they can and probably will update the firmware to play 4k UHD discs in the near future since, from a technical standpoint, they're basically the same and even manufactured the same way.

In the end, all of this outcry will result in nothing.

so, according to this article, Sony should technically be able to update the Pro to allow 4K Blu-ray via firmware update?

http://www.dvdreview.com/2016/09/ps...iscs-no-doubt-short-lived/?platform=hootsuite

That was a reasonable explanation.
So, basically, they can and probably will update the firmware to play 4k UHD discs in the near future since, from a technical standpoint, they're basically the same and even manufactured the same way.

In the end, all of this outcry will result in nothing.
That's one person's speculation. Sony released a faq since that was posted yesterday and flat out said no. The

4K Entertainment
Q: Does PS4 Pro support Ultra 4K Blu-ray Discs?

No, PS4 Pro’s internal Blu-ray drive does not support the new Ultra 4K Blu-ray Disc format. It supports the same Blu-ray Disc specs as the standard PS4. The Blu-ray Disc Player application, however, will support high-quality upscaling of DVD and Blu-ray Disc content.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

Last edited:
Yet, they didn't say anything about it being impossible to update or that what was said in the article is utterly infeasible.

This is such a lesser thing to me, though. I wouldn't be getting it for the 4k player anyway.

Yet, they didn't say anything about it being impossible to update or that what was said in the article is utterly infeasible.

This is such a lesser thing to me, though. I wouldn't be getting it for the 4k player anyway.
The system doesnt have the drive that is capable of playing the discs. I dont know how much more concrete they need to be. Firmware cant add hardware that is not there. If it were that simple than standalone 4K players wouldnt be so exspensive and all existing BR players could be patched up to run the new UHD discs

The article mentions how the hardware is built in basically the same way, so they wouldn't need to add another. Or is it completely false that even the manufacturing is different?

I'm assuming it's too late in the process to add a 4K player to the Pro, yes?

but couldn't they release a higher priced SKU that did include a 4K player if demand is high?

I'd certainly be willing to pay an extra $50-$100 for model that did include a 4K player.

I don't think that's so far fetched. I think we'll see a version like that down the line if the drive really can't be updated.
It reminds me when Microsoft announced that XBOne would only play online and, after the huge outcry, they changed their policy among other details. Sure it's not the same subject as this one here, but it's a huge company listening to the uproar on the internet and adapting accordingly.

^ hopefully.

but it makes me less likely to go out and upgrade to the Pro right away. Not until I hear they will either patch in the feature or update the console itself with a 4K player.

If you are shelling out for a 4k HDR TV many of those are smart TVs anyway. So you could use your TV as your media front for 4K Netflix and Amazon Prime and then the gaming specs don't seem enough of an upgrade, although the price and early release date are good. It would likely be a good buy for those who don't already have a PS4.

I don't think that's so far fetched. I think we'll see a version like that down the line if the drive really can't be updated.
It reminds me when Microsoft announced that XBOne would only play online and, after the huge outcry, they changed their policy among other details. Sure it's not the same subject as this one here, but it's a huge company listening to the uproar on the internet and adapting accordingly.

The difference is the online policy affected EVERYONE that bought hte system.Not being able to play UHD discs affects such a relatively small portion of the userbase. There wont be some huge outcry. We still dont have any form of backwards compatibility in the PS4 and that's been heavily requested. UHD playback? I highly doubt the outcry will be louder

They probably wont and shouldnt release a PS4P with UHD support next year. That will do more damage than good. People are already not keen on this thing existing and it will only fuel bad blood and loss in faith in Sony to release 3 different versions of the console within the span of a year. I hate when gamers use the term "screwed over" but thats a sentiment people feel when stuff like that happens after they've made a purchase

Last edited:
If you are shelling out for a 4k HDR TV many of those are smart TVs anyway. So you could use your TV as your media front for 4K Netflix and Amazon Prime and then the gaming specs don't seem enough of an upgrade, although the price and early release date are good. It would likely be a good buy for those who don't already have a PS4.

yeah. these 4K Smart Tvs have all these streaming services anyways.

you don't need the console for that.

and I'm actually more interested in this HDR for all PS4 update and how that will work and how much of a difference that would make to games running on the regular PS4.

I'm assuming I'd still need a 4K+HDR tv for that feature. but if that means I'd be able to hook up my updated PS4 to a 4K+HDR tv and benefit from HDR, then why would I need the Pro?

I don't follow the reasoning here:

So, why doesn’t the PS4 Pro support 4K UHD discs? The answer to that may lie in Sony’s Consumer Electronics division. At this time, Sony is preparing the launch of a series of settop 4K UHD players. Naturally, the company wants these players to succeed. They want to sell them in quantities that makes the company proud. If they would add 4K UHD capabilities to the PS4 Pro, many people would simply forgo a settop player and use the PS4 Pro as their player of choice, the way they did when the PS3 first arrived, complete with Blu-Ray capabilities. Only this time they don’t have a format war to win (remember, Blu-Ray competed heavily against HD-DVD at the time and the PS3 was essentially the format’s secret weapon that decided the war), so there is no need for them to cannibalize their own divisions. When it comes right down to it, the lack of 4K UHD disc support is simply a business decision that actually makes sense for the company. Why? Because this is not the end of the story.
If the competition already has a 4k player in a gaming console at a low price is there really that much benefit in not including it in your machine. It just means those who want a 4K player and are prepared to use a games console for that feature will buy the one from your competitor and your standalone sales to that market segment (not the high end crowd) will still suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harleen SB
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"