The Official PS4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T2htWmG.png

Looks like it's confirmed. Now I have no intention to buy this. At least until my current PS4 dies.

no 4K Blu-Ray??!!

wait??!! wtf??!!!

guess I won't be getting a Pro after all. lol

I mean........that's just so stupid!!

also, the Pro only upscales games to 4K. It does not support native 4K gaming. Correct?

T2htWmG.png

Looks like it's confirmed. Now I have no intention to buy this. At least until my current PS4 dies.

Having a 4K bluray player doesnt take away from this playing games and that line sounds even more contradictory when they kept boasting about the 4K media content coming via Netflix. This is the same BS they said when the PS4 launched with sparce media functionality

Having a 4K bluray player doesnt take away from this playing game. This is the same BS they said when the PS4 launched with sparce media functionality

exactly. it's asinine!!

to get the full benefit of the Pro, I'd want to buy a 4K, HDR tv. To get the full benefit of that new 4K tv, I'd also want to buy more 4K content, like UHD Blu-Rays. So now I'd have to buy a $400 pro AND another $300-$400 standalone 4K player??

Why, Sony?? Why??!!

Last edited:
I didn't buy the PS4 right away and finally decided to hold out for one that would be a 4K blu-ray player as well. Guess I'm going to keep holding out.

would Sony be able to "patch in" a 4K player down the road to turn the Pros into 4K players via a firmware update?

or is that just not possible?

and does the Pro deliver true 4K gaming or just upscaling like the S?

Last edited:
would Sony be able to "patch in" a 4K player down the road to turn the Pros into 4K players via a firmware update?

or is that just not possible?

and does the Pro deliver true 4K gaming or just upscaling like the S?

Either the thing has a 4K drive or it doesnt. Sony can only patch in the functionality, but they cant patch in the hardware needed to use it. I guess the tweet leaves room for interpretation bc that could simply mean an app used to play 4k movies as opposed to 4k drive, which I suppose hasnt been specified

So what exactly is the upgrade here?

So who's going to buy a PS5 when it comes out knowing that an upgraded version will be out just a few years later?

So Sony is basically taking the approach Microsofr took with the XB360. :funny: I didnt buy that console because of it only having a dvd drive and I wont be getting the PS4 Pro if it only has a 1080p blu-ray drive.

Last edited:
So what exactly is the upgrade here?

Better more powerful hardware. Sony and Microsoft arent going to start putting games on 4K discs anytime soon. Probably why Sony didnt bother with a 4K drive. They can continue to use 1080p blu-ray discs and put a 1080p drive in the console which will save money and allow them to spend more on other hardware in the console. I see the logic behind this decision, but it limits the console's media options and puts it at a disadvantage as far as 4K movies are concerned. Its the same thing Microsoft did when they put a dvd drive in the 360. But as games got larger that bit them in the ash. Luckily for Sony by the time games need 4K discs the PS5 will likely be released.

So who's going to buy a PS5 when it comes out knowing that an upgraded version will be out just a few years later?
Same people that buy an iphone when they know a new one will be released literally a year later.

Well we dont know that. Even if that is the case, Id get one and most people would as well. The PS5 will likely come in 2018 at the earliest, so 2 years after this. You really want to only a gen for 2 years? before there's a jump to the next?

Either the thing has a 4K drive or it doesnt. Sony can only patch in the functionality, but they cant patch in the hardware needed to use it. I guess the tweet leaves room for interpretation bc that could simply mean an app used to play 4k movies as opposed to 4k drive, which I suppose hasnt been specified

ah, thanks.

Wow, for a company infamous for using their gaming hardware as a trojan horse for their media formats that...is pretty surprising. Maybe they don't think 4K physical media is destined to take off.

yeah, it's a very curious and headscratching move.

I don't watch very many movie dvds anyways. So, on one hand, I could say it doesn't really bother me.

Otoh, it does bother me in the sense of knowing that the console is missing that feature. It isn't entirely "future proof."

Getting a Pro means that I'm taking the 1st step towards 4K media, whether I get a 4K tv at the same time as the Pro or down the road. And once I upgrade to a 4K tv, I would naturally want to watch the 4K UHD versions of the movies that I do get.

So, it would have been nice to know that I would already own a 4K player with the Pro. I wouldn't have to spend another $300 or $400 to buy a standalone 4K player.

And what are they going to do? Release a "2.0" version of the Pro in the near future that does include a 4K player? That's in the back of my mind, too.

Here's a picture of the console for those who haven't seen it. It's also going live on several retailer's websites now, too.

Crxx7QTWcAEGd6Y.jpg:orig

I think it's hilarious it just looks like a straight up PS4 with half of another PS4 stacked on top of it. A literal PS4.5

New PS4 Wireless Controller And Camera Arrive Next Week. September 7, 2016 . 4:00pm

A new Platinum Wireless Headset is also coming this winter. These new gadgets will work with all PlayStation 4 models.

5 comments Read >
A slew of new peripherals have been announced for the new PS4 Pro and slim models. Launching next week with the slimmer PlayStation 4 on September 15, 2016 is a new DualShock 4 Wireless Controller, a new PlayStation Camera, and an updated vertical stand. The existing vertical stand cannot be used to mount the slimmer PS4 or PS4 Pro, but the new one is compatible with both and being sold for $24 USD (2,280 yen, €19 and £16). Other than the vertical stand, all of the newly announced gadgets will work with all PlayStation 4 consoles.

The PS4 controller has been slightly redesigned to allow the light from the front-facing light bar to shine through on the touch pad, making it easier for the player to see the indicator. The new controller also supports communication via USB in addition to the previously existing Bluetooth connection option. As for the camera, it has the same internal capabilities as the existing PlayStation camera; however, it has been redesigned with a rounder shape and an adjustable stand. The full specs, including pricing, for both devices have been outlined via Sony’s press release:

Due out later this winter is the Platinum Wireless Headset, which is a step above the existing Gold Wireless Headset. It features hidden noise-cancelling microphones for improved chat and it also comes with a 3.5mm audio cable to connect with PS VR or mobile devices. The detailed specs are outlined below.

Read more stories about PlayStation 4 & PlayStation 4 Pro on Siliconera.

source: Siliconera

Wow, for a company infamous for using their gaming hardware as a trojan horse for their media formats that...is pretty surprising. Maybe they don't think 4K physical media is destined to take off.

4k disc sales are outpacing 1080p disc sales. 80% of 4k tvs manufactured in 2015 were sold and 4k tv sales increased by 70% in 2016. One in eight homes in North America are expected to have one by the end of the year. Its because 4K tv prices are affordable now. I can get a good 4K tv for $500. Thats in most electronic consumer's price range. So the format is taking off.

Plus, Sony is a founding member and on the board of the blu-ray disc association. They arent going to abandoned UHD unless a better format is there to replace it.

The most likely explanation is they didnt think a 4k disc drive was necessary for this generation so they decided to save some money and put a UHD drive in the PS5.

Last edited:
The Kinda Funny crew were definitely not impressed with that conference.

Just heard about this. I know a name changes nothing under (or over) the hood but I wish they had kept the name Neo. PS4 Pro doens't sound good to me. Although I get their reason for doing it I don't know what's so hard about calling it Pro from the beginning. Would only take 5 minutes brainstorming lol.

Better more powerful hardware. Sony and Microsoft arent going to start putting games on 4K discs anytime soon. Probably why Sony didnt bother with a 4K drive. They can continue to use 1080p blu-ray discs and put a 1080p drive in the console which will save money and allow them to spend more on other hardware in the console. I see the logic behind this decision, but it limits the console's media options and puts it at a disadvantage as far as 4K movies are concerned. Its the same thing Microsoft did when they put a dvd drive in the 360. But as games got larger that bit them in the ash. Luckily for Sony by the time games need 4K discs the PS5 will likely be released.
Agreed. I can see the logic although I'm not sure it will turn out to be the right move. Strange from Sony in particular who many have followed through the generations (and been driven by) with their audio-video tech with PS1 CD, PS2 DVD, PS3 Blu-Ray and now PS4 not 4K disc lol. Streaming is huge and getting bigger but still not a substitute for everyone, like those who prefer physical discs and those who want the best quality. And also a lot of areas don't have internet fast enough to support a stable 4k HDR stream.

I've seen a lot of posts on a group in Facebook complaining about the PS4 Pro and the iPhone 7, and I can't help but feel like people just want one box that has everything they want in it, not realizing it's hard to do that without sacrificing size, which people seem to hate even more.

I've seen a lot of posts on a group in Facebook complaining about the PS4 Pro and the iPhone 7, and I can't help but feel like people just want one box that has everything they want in it, not realizing it's hard to do that without sacrificing size, which people seem to hate even more.

I dont see the problem with that. Its 2016, not 1996. Thats the direction the industry has moved in. When it comes to the PS4, people will always directly compare it to the PS3, and as a successor, its disappointing that it cant do everything it did. I dont see what size has to do with anything bc outside of having cell processor for PS3 BC, alot of whats been left out of the PS4 is stuff that can be handled via a firmware update. Having a 4K BR drive to play the new discs that are out there, wont make the system larger as it would simply be replacing the drive in there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"