the Official "RED STATE" Thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Cagefighterkip, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

this is the OFFICIAL "RED STATE" THREAD... on Kevin Smith's upcoming religious, horror film... start posting opinions, news, etcetera enjoy :yay:

2. Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

bump...
    i hope

3. Lunar_Wolf WTF face

I got to ask Mr Smith about Red State the day before the studio decided not to back it. The way Smith describes it, we might get something fresh in the horror genre, finally.

I'm sick of the generic horror films over the past two years.

4. Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

awesome!!
    when was this???

5. Lunar_Wolf WTF face

I'd say more than half a year ago. He was on nowlive.com doing a radio show at the time.

6. Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

dude thats awesome --
    yeah i cant wait. i hope he gets the scratch he needs soon (he says he has some mooney secured, but not enough yet). maybe he can finance some of it himself, lord knows he's got the $$$

he says he wants to shoot in april

7. cryptic name No Limits

i'm looking forward to it, it will be interesting to see kevin really stretch himself. plus it'll be cool to see mosier's editing have a chance to really shine

8. Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

im a big horror nerd, but im anxious to see kev stretch more than see a quality horror flick imo

i agree mos and kev have great editing skills, if u saw Zack and Miri that had GRRREEEAAAAT editing and cutting.

9. ABleedingCorpse Superhero Iran? Hype That

When I read about Red State from Kevin Smith's site, it sounded very interesting. Not your typical horror film, but true horrific terror from a real stand point. I like the plot outline about the Preacher and his followers who are just so screwed up in the head that they can justify everything they do through the means of their Lord. I'm not a religious person, but I find religion on these grounds to be one of my favorite subjects to discuss.

Westboro Baptist Church community is a very sick, twisted, and unholy set of people on the face of the Earth. Kevin Smith has a good idea about what horror can really be in America right now. Something fresh, and interesting...Dogma for ALL Relgions really.

To be honest, if I ran into any of those church members I'd be scared to death.

10. ABleedingCorpse Superhero Iran? Hype That

Also I would like to add that Smith will have a hard time selling this thing to a studio. The Weinsteins really wanted nothing to do with the film because of the subject matter. It's a very dark subject that could in all honestly, reflect badly on all relgions as a whole rather than one particular coo coo nest church. And maybe, just maybe, that's possibly Smiths whole point for wanting to make the film. Smith himself is a Catholic and he even finds flaws and bad doing with religion. Dogma, case in point.

And when one big studio passes on a film by their most promised directors, it's going to be hard for another studio to want to take part in it. When religion is involved, unless it's flattering or inspirational, a film is not looked at as a good project to develope.

And seriously, whenthe Weinsteins turn down a horror flick of this nature....that's not good either considering the other horror films they've produced.

And then you have to look at it this way from a studio. Kevin Smith = Comedy and to take a chance with something not in that type of movie, it's a risk taker. Wes Craven has wanted to do romantic films for years now but studios just won't let him do it. I'm sure if Eli Roth said he wanted to make 'Sleeping Beauty' the studios would laugh at him.

I really do hope that Kevin get's this film made, but I see it eventrually falling apart for him.

11. Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

smith is already having a hard time, but it will happen. he has SOME funding locked but not all. i wish him the best, i do. i just shudder to think of some uptight peoples reactions to the film, which is adark and serious... i mean think of what happened w.the death threats when he made DOGMA. this is a religious HORROR film thats SERIOUS. i think its great he is making it, but he is asking for trouble. too bad some people cant live and let live, yknow?

ill bet kevin gets it made,
    even if he has to fund it himself and has to cut the budget down by like 90%. but he confirms funding is on the way, i wish him the best.

though if it doesnt get made i hope he lets the script go online. id love to read it.

a wes craven romantic comedy could be great. i hope he gets to make it.

12. Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

i saw the kevin smith/view askew produced documentary SMALL TOWN GAY BAR (if u can find it, or netflix it do so, its genius and insightful), they interview Fred Phelps and it is sickening and disturbing but a real genius insight into the mans warped head.

13. ABleedingCorpse Superhero Iran? Hype That

Some friends and I watched SMALL TOWN GAY BAR one night here in my very small town in Missouri and we seriously couldn't think about 'what if' to that situation here. It's a bit amusing to wonder about, but then again very scary to know that we do have people in our town that would go to the extreme about it because every bar in this town is litteraly next to a church. And we have a liqure store that is across from a church, that's the funniest thing to see on a Sunday.

I've had some friends who were gay and the moment high school was over I've never seen them again because they were pretty much forced to leave by society here because there's nothing for them. Knew a kid who's idenity as a homosexual forced him to drop out of school, but he couldn't leave because his family was poor and nobody would hire him around here. Pretty messed up stuff.

14. Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

thats whats wrong with this world is peoples prejudices.
    i live in a small town in washington state(about 15 mins from portland OR), its not bad at all, but in our neighborhood a lesbian ran for city council and was discriminated against at every turn becuase she was. she lost of course... its sick.

15. Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

16. Lunar_Wolf WTF face

Glad that this is his next project.

17. DarkSovereignty Ooga Chakka

in the immortal words of triumphant vikings of old... HAZZAAA

18. Paroxysm Registered

Kevin Smith’s ‘Red State’ Finds a Supporting Cast?

:up:

19. DarkSovereignty Ooga Chakka

sounds awesome.

20. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Count me in. Been looking forward to this since it was announced way back. But what the hell is this about?

21. Paroxysm Registered

John Goodman Taking Residence in Kevin Smith's 'Red State'

22. bullets bang bang

I think Smith could conjure up something really disturbing , I'm glad he is finally doing a horror film