The Official Superman Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always gotten the impression that he likes him in spite of himself. The Joker pisses him off while he's there, but when he thinks back on those times, it's kind of fun having him around. Having Lex drop that facade and actually invite the Joker along makes their relationship a bit too buddyish to me.

"If I can kill the Batman I can save the world!"

I love the way Cornell wrote the Joker. Another great issue.

Paul Cornell truly demonstrates his talent as writer by giving us a 2.99 comic thats nothing more than dialogue, just like Bendis at times shows he still has it by just releasing a comic full of dialogue + zero action. Great issue and the way Joker was handled was great.

I don't mind talking head issues but Bendis's dialog can drive me mad sometimes.

Did I miss something? What actor did Spalding remind Joker of?

I've always gotten the impression that he likes him in spite of himself. The Joker pisses him off while he's there, but when he thinks back on those times, it's kind of fun having him around. Having Lex drop that facade and actually invite the Joker along makes their relationship a bit too buddyish to me.

I agree.

Though I did like in Infinite Crisis when Lex and Joker owned Alexander Luthor at the end

My favourite moment in this issue

Whats the matter Lex? It's just a pony. A magic pony. That sings :hoboj:

Its like a camp version of Blade Runner! :awesome:

TheCorpulent1 said:
But then he can't rage against the Joker's impropriety.:csad:

D'awwww Lex :hrt:s him really

My favourite moment in this issue

Whats the matter Lex? It's just a pony. A magic pony. That sings :hoboj:

Its like a camp version of Blade Runner! :awesome:

Ha! Took me a while to figure this out. Then I thought robot lady...horse and the light bulb went off.

D'awwww Lex :hrt:s him really

They can have they're own sitcom together. They're the odd couple of the DC universe.

I would read that it would be the bestest comic ever

Cornell should write that :up:

Last edited:
Lex killed more people in the New Krypton mess than Joker has in all his years of killing. I think the best version of Lex ever (Maggin's by a mile) would actually have contempt for Joker as that Lex didn't kill and had never killed-it was beneath him.

Of course everyone, hero or villain, kills now except Superman, and he is FUBAR forever.

Lex killed more people in the New Krypton mess than Joker has in all his years of killing. I think the best version of Lex ever (Maggin's by a mile) would actually have contempt for Joker as that Lex didn't kill and had never killed-it was beneath him.

Of course everyone, hero or villain, kills now except Superman, and he is FUBAR forever.

Any particular Maggin recommendations for Lex stories, comics or novels?

Superman killed some phantom zone criminals :csad: :dry:

Batwoman Black Canary Aquaman Dove Red Robin Batgirl and Dick Grayson have never killed anyone :up:

I'm pretty sure Aquaman's killed as leader of Atlantis' armies. I can't recall specific instances at the moment, but the phrase "Aquaman's never killed anyone" rings false in my brainmind...

Oh, and Dick stood by and let Tarantula kill Blockbuster when he could've easily stopped her. That counts for him, as far as I'm concerned.

Superman killed some phantom zone criminals :csad: :dry:

Which may or may not be in continunity thanks to Hyper Mega Mind **** Crisis tie-in, Superman: Destiny at the Edge of Forever: Revenge of the Fallen

Aquaman has definitely killed people.

I remember when he set a pack of sharks on Black Manta and just swam off leaving him to be eaten alive, it wasn't out of character. Aquaman has a lot of violent in him.

Any particular Maggin recommendations for Lex stories, comics or novels?

Both of Maggin's novels- Last Son of Krypton and Miracle Monday, feature Lex prominently and are must-reads for any Superman fan. They're pretty cheap online. His best comics Luthor stories are in Superman #292, "The Luthor Nobody Knows!" and "The Einstein Connection/The Ghost of Superman Future" from Superman #416. He also wrote a Superman annual (#9) where Supes and Bats take on Luthor that was really cool and was drawn by Toth. Also "Luthor--You're Driving Me Sane!" from The Joker #7, where Lex and Joker switch personalities, which was a trip.

In Miracle Monday, Lex did the most amazing thing he has ever done, IMO-he scientifically proved the existence of souls, heaven and hell, and God-all just to break out of prison. And of course he kept the discovery to himself.

Last edited:
He is filled with the Atlantean equivalent of Brooklyn rage.
Yea he is like the time he punched MM thinking he was Superman or like in For Tomorrow where he pretty much was about to send an army after Superman to send a message. Hell even that new Aquaman had that rage in him when he went up against both Superman and Batman for a rookie that's pretty ballsy.

I've mixed feelings about "For Tomorrow"'s ultimate quality but I think it'll always be memorable for this scene.

sm21017.jpg

sm21018.jpg

sm700b02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member