The Official Superman Thread - Part 6

I lapsed on the new 52 a while back so I admit I'm a little lost, but from reading DC Rebirth #1,
Wally West gave me the impression that Pre-Flashpoint people and New 52 people aren't actually different people, just missing 10 years worth of memories. So what does that mean for Pre-Flashpoint Superman? Is he the same person that disintegrated in Superman #52, just older and somehow still alive even though his younger self bit the dust?

The million dollar question. It's an active plot thread.

What are the good New 52 Superman stories? I've been abstaining from the whole thing, but I plan to check some of this stuff out down the road while I get back into Rebirth.

I think even his fans would admit there aren't many good N52 Superman stories. The first dozen or so Action Comics by Grant Morrison seem to be fairly well liked overall, plus the stuff Greg Pak wrote. I think that's about it.

Personally, the only stuff I would bother with is Superman #32-39 right now, and that's only because that Johns arc introduces the Mr. Oz character who looks like he will play a bigger role with Post-Crisis/Rebirth Superman.

I think even his fans would admit there aren't many good N52 Superman stories. The first dozen or so Action Comics by Grant Morrison seem to be fairly well liked overall, plus the stuff Greg Pak wrote. I think that's about it.

Personally, the only stuff I would bother with is Superman #32-39 right now, and that's only because that Johns arc introduces the Mr. Oz character who looks like he will play a bigger role with Post-Crisis/Rebirth Superman.

Daniel's stuff was good as well and some of the Superman/Wonder Woman arc's were good. You also have the first book of Superman not Action written by Perez and the H'EL on Earth Arc was very good.

I mean, it's all subjective, but I think Perez's run was not generally well-received. Even Perez acknowledges it didn't go well.

I lapsed on the new 52 a while back so I admit I'm a little lost, but from reading DC Rebirth #1,
Wally West gave me the impression that Pre-Flashpoint people and New 52 people aren't actually different people, just missing 10 years worth of memories. So what does that mean for Pre-Flashpoint Superman? Is he the same person that disintegrated in Superman #52, just older and somehow still alive even though his younger self bit the dust?
Well one of the plot points in Rebirth was
that Mr. Oz told pre-Flashpoint Superman that he is not what he believe he is, and neither was N52 Superman, so there's more to this than meets the eye. There's also chatter over the interwebs that Mr. Oz is Ozymandias, which would be kinda cool and kinda makes sense, consider Adrian was addressed by name in the end of Rebirth by a blue dialogue bubble which presumably is Mr. Manhattan speaking.

I personally really dug the whole Superman: Doomed arc. Good twist on a Doomsday story that let to convergence, which then resulted in return of pre-flashpoint Superman, which now resulted in Rebirth.

You know, I think it was a missed opportunity having the New 52 Superman die.

I mean he could have left Earth or gone into hibernation to cure the kryptonite poisoning or something else. It just seems like they could have done something more creative there - rather than just kill him off. Hell, if he left Earth he could have had his own book or shown up once in a while as a guest hero, or even villain.

Still, I thought it was a decent ending for Superman - nowhere near as good as All-Star Superman, and not as good as Doomsday, but decent.

Sure, there's another Superman to take over, but I feel like the DC universe has plenty of space for more than one Superman.

Just IMO of course.

You know, I think it was a missed opportunity having the New 52 Superman die.

I mean he could have left Earth or gone into hibernation to cure the kryptonite poisoning or something else. It just seems like they could have done something more creative there - rather than just kill him off. Hell, if he left Earth he could have had his own book or shown up once in a while as a guest hero, or even villain.

Still, I thought it was a decent ending for Superman - nowhere near as good as All-Star Superman, and not as good as Doomsday, but decent.

Sure, there's another Superman to take over, but I feel like the DC universe has plenty of space for more than one Superman.

Just IMO of course.

I predict N52 Superman will be back. the solicits for Superwoman say she has supermans powers buth they are killing her. Another Clark is also showing up. I predict depowered N52 Clark for awhile. enables the recovery of the Clark identity-Clark is Superman was a ruse-play

Whilst it may seem simple to some, i'm very confused.

I predict N52 Superman will be back. the solicits for Superwoman say she has supermans powers buth they are killing her. Another Clark is also showing up. I predict depowered N52 Clark for awhile. enables the recovery of the Clark identity-Clark is Superman was a ruse-play
They can totally use the plot from Final Days, with Superman's powers going wacky and infecting people like that Denise guy, so he became Superman for a while.

What are the good New 52 Superman stories? I've been abstaining from the whole thing, but I plan to check some of this stuff out down the road while I get back into Rebirth.
Superman Unchained is a great singular story, imo, and also both Grant Morrison and Greg Pak's runs on Action Comics.

Superman Unchained is a great singular story, imo, and also both Grant Morrison and Greg Pak's runs on Action Comics.

I loved Superman Unchained except for the last issue.

I thought that contrived Luthor ending was stupid

Check out Grant morrison's action run (#1-18) is excellent even though it got pretty contrived (it is morrison after all!) by the end of it.

Greg pack's action comics issue 25-30 and 35-40 are pretty solid as he is one of the few writers who seems to "get" kal-el.

Scott snyder's superman unchained series is pretty solid and worth checking out.

Anyone read Superman: Rebirth #1 yet? The [BLACKOUT]modernized redrawn few panels of the Pre-FP Doomsday fight[/BLACKOUT] was just magnificent!

(Spoilers)
Nufncud.jpg

Anyone read Superman: Rebirth #1 yet? The [BLACKOUT]modernized redrawn few panels of the Pre-FP Doomsday fight[/BLACKOUT] was just magnificent!

(Spoilers)
Nufncud.jpg

yeah, that was well done. I thought the whole issue was good.

I like the more mature Superman, who's a great dad as well as Earth's greatest hero.

DC have got a lot of things wrong lately, but if they can build on this then Superman is headed for some new heights, fingers crossed.

these panels fill me with enormous amounts of joy that is very reminiscent to the 90's return of Superman after his death match with Doomsday first he returned suited in Black while four other Supermen where posing and claiming to be the real deal.

We'll 52's version of Clark was almost a mirror version of all 4 of those version of Sups except he didn't have the genuine love and feel that the original pre-flashpoint had acquired over his lifetime. The Lois & Clark mini-series defiantly established what was missing from the 52 version of Kal-El.

I can't wait to read Sups again in mainstream a rebirth of the john Byrne mix flavor

I really liked the bearded Superman look. lol

So he [BLACKOUT]had the new costume in his drawer the whole time[/BLACKOUT]? :funny:

Looks like my sabbatical from reading Superman is finally coming to an end.

You'd think the costume he has in storage would be the classic one. If he's been going around in this black suit the whole time, why would he have a new modern red and blue suit with no trunks ready to go at a moment's notice? And why did they have to tweak the classic suit for that Doomsday fight? Is it so bad that they can't even show the real suit in flashbacks now?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"