1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

The Official Superman Thread - Part 6

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Thread Manager, May 31, 2015.

1. CLARKY Registered

I did. That was weird. the art is cool but the inking is really not that good. It feels very messy.
    And the story, while entertaining is ... ... I would say out of character or just completely plenty weird: the rythm, the attitudes, the logic in it, the reaction between characters ... It's fun, in a way, but really weird. Or written with hard drugs.

Anyone else read it ?

2. Knightsilver Registered

I read it. Fortunately, I was braced for the weirdness of this miniseries, having had experience with Batman Odyssey. :cwink:

3. _Superman_ Man Of Steel

I'm still thinking Val-Zod should be the new Superman once New 52 Superman dies. I think it would've been interesting to see how he handles everything in that world as well as how it would be for him to be the main Superman as well as to see how he'll adopt a secret identity.

4. Tobias Registered

I gave up on the books years ago but because of Rebirth I am going to give Action and Superman a shot again.

What I like - the return of the pre-52 Superman as the core Superman. Lois and Clark together. A son. It seems a much mor intimate and engaging premise than what has been the last 5 years.

Jurgens is a draw for me too.

Johns referring to the DC universe going back to hope sealed the deal for me. Superman especially has been hurt these last years because that was missing in his books. IMO.

I am confused a bit though.

Are the pre-52 Lois and Clark from an alternate universe? Given new 52 is the established Superman up to Rebirth.

Does pre-52 Kal openly go around as Clark? Lois too? Has Lois met Lois

Given Superwoman is the new 52 Lois this universe will have two Lois's?

New 52 Clark's identity was revealed so, since, then has he dropped the secret identity?

New 52 Superman dies and pre 52 Superman comes to Metropolis. In the previews for Action it reveals pre 52 Superman meets Clark Kent. That I can't figure out.

Hoping Rebirth helps renew interest in Superman.

5. Kirmit Big Green Machine.

I'm confused about who this fiery Superman is.

6. _Superman_ Man Of Steel

to answer your questions.
    1. Yes they are from an alternate universe. They're from the pre-flashpoint world.

2.No they openly call themselves Lois and Clark mainly to protect their son and fly below the radar of the new heroes. And both Lois have not met but new 52 Lois has just met the Pre-Flashpoint Superman and his son.

3. Also yes there will be two Lois now one with the powers of Superman and one with out and it also does seem that Superman's secret identity will now be gone because new 52 Superman will have no powers and just be Clark Kent from here on out.

7. Tobias Registered

I thought the new 52 Superman dies.

Plus, if there is a Clark with no powers won't the bad guys go after him? Knowing he was Superman at one time?

Too, Lois is married to Clark Kent and their son is Jon Kent. So pre 52 Superman giving up his Clark identity could be weird. Won't people assume he (this mysterious Clark Kent) is Lois's husband and Jon's father?

The thing I won't like is Superman not having a civilian identity. He can't live with Lois and Jon as Superman out oof thee xtreme danger that would put them in. If he wants to take Jon to the park for a walk does he do that as Superman?

There are lots of complications with no secret identity coupled with having a family.

#132 Tobias, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  8. Mutato Registered

Tobias, I think you'd enjoy picking up Jurgens' Lois & Clark miniseries. The 8th and final issue will be out Wednesday.

You may also want to check out Superman - Convergence #1 and #2 (and maybe even the last issue of the Convergence event itself, Convergence #8).

9. gerrym51 Registered

I believe that this is a storyline that will get back the Clark identity.

N52 Superman will be a powerless Clark for a while and people will think it was just a ruse and that he and superman are 2 separate people-which is technically correct.

my opinion is the n52 superman will be back

10. _Superman_ Man Of Steel

Honestly I'm going to miss New 52 Superman. He wasn't that bad under certain writers.

11. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

New 52 Superman wasn't bad. He was just boring. Pre-Flashpoint Superman is an infinitely more interesting character than New 52 Superman.

12. ironman29758 Registered

Honestly it depends on the storyline.

I was infinitely more interested in New Superman during Grant Morrison, Greg Pak, Justice League, and some of Scott Lobdell's arc than I was during post Geoff/Pre Flashpoint, Camelot, etc if I had to be frank. Honestly the problem is from what I see is poor editorials and writers having conflicting ideas on what to do with the character, which was evident pre Flashpoint as well.

13. _Superman_ Man Of Steel

Problem with New 52 Superman was Morrison. He was a problem for all the other writers because he would never tell or give them any hint into the back history of New 52 Superman that slot of them were really just flying blind which is why somethings for him never matched up.

14. Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

I think it's going to be interesting to see pre-New 52 superman interact with New 52 Wonder Woman.

15. The Infernal Mky Mk

Superman: Hello. Have you met my wife and child?

Wonder Woman: Uhhh... do you still have Batman's phone number?

16. Zur-en-Arrh Untitled

morrison's action was great imho. like any character, the problem with new 52 superman is the writer, not the character. i can't think of a pre-52 superman story i enjoyed more than morrison's action run, other than all-star superman, also by morrison, and that's in its own continuity.

17. Mutato Registered

I think of Morrison as Alan Moore-lite. I found All-Star especially grating with its overly precious love letter to the Silver Age thing. Not a fan of DC One Million, either. And not a fan of any of New 52 Superman. I think there were fundamental flaws in that character and his world that certainly didn't help the writers.

Much prefer Post-Crisis main titles in their late 80s to mid 90s heyday.

18. Zur-en-Arrh Untitled

that's one way of viewing all-star, i suppose. as far as morrison being alan moore lite, well, he certainly owes a lot to moore, but morrison's output is much richer and varied imho. i can't think of anything moore has put out in twenty years that i'm drawn to, whereas i'm still following morrison because he's ever-changing and always pursing different projects and stories. moore's become an old crank to me. A graying old husk, ranting about how there's no new stories, while he's writing his charlton and bram stroker fan-fic.

19. Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

All Star Superman is the greatest Superman comic ever and possibly the greatest comic ever.

That's all I have to say about that.

20. _Superman_ Man Of Steel

Personally I still think Rebirth should have been the lead into making the Earth One GN universe the main DCU.

21. Mutato Registered

I realize I'm in the minority.

I didn't mean to get all hot take-y about it--it just embodies exactly what I grew up thinking Superman was like as a kid in the 80s, which turned me off to the character until I discovered, and became pleasantly surprised by, the '86 reboot. So combine that with my aversion to Morrison in general... I guess I'm just a philistine who tends to prefer straightforward, meat-and-potatoes adventures and down-to-Earth characterizations, over what I see as gimmick-y, overwrought stories in love with their own cleverness.

And when I do end up enjoying the deconstructing or reconstructing of superheroes, I can't help but see Morrison paling in comparison to Moore, even if Morrison's output has been larger and more crowd-pleasing. IIRC I think Morrison has even appropriated Moore's "belief in real life magic" shtick, too. Ever since I noticed the lopsided parallels between the two, I haven't been able to unsee it.

Anyway, if I had to bet that there was ever such a thing as a "best comic ever" (a concept I also have an instinctive aversion to), my money would not be on it coming from the superhero genre.

#146 Mutato, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  22. flickchick85 Admin of Might

New 52 Superman was good...outside of the main book, imo. Action Comics - both Morrison's run and Pak's - has remained one of my go-to titles (though I'm still behind on Pak's run, I like what I've read so far) and I loved Superman Unchained. I was just not a fan of their choices of writers for the main Superman title. Tried to get into it a few times, never grabbed me.

23. Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

I lapsed on the new 52 a while back so I admit I'm a little lost, but from reading DC Rebirth #1,
    Wally West gave me the impression that Pre-Flashpoint people and New 52 people aren't actually different people, just missing 10 years worth of memories. So what does that mean for Pre-Flashpoint Superman? Is he the same person that disintegrated in Superman #52, just older and somehow still alive even though his younger self bit the dust?

24. BMCAABY Registered

I mean alot of people like the weird old spandex idea. The armor actually makes him seem Alien. It doesn't look bad at all.

The new suit however blends both old and new. I like what they are doing with Superman now.

[​IMG]

Not going to lie, I hope they give him different suits during the rebirth series. I mean hope they do that for all characters. It is a great idea because those new suits and different suits like new 52 could be used in film to bring about something new and can be used to sell toys as well.
    They did it smartly with the many different suits of Captain America, Superman being alien should have plenty of different suits too..

25. Kirmit Big Green Machine.

I'd prefer red boots greatly.