The Official Tom Welling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they'll pull a Spidey 2; Routh will have some sort of physical problem, and they'll offer the part to Tom instead. Except that Routh won't recover in time to make the film.

P.S. this doesn't mean I want something bad to happen to that Routh guy, 'cause I don't.

This is a great idea ! I look forward in continuing our discussions about Welling and company hopefully without the company of the bashers.
As for the movie - I think Singer will make a good film with a good story and even better special effects but his Superman just doesn't do it for me.
It's funny that the bashers are all now demanding that we should let Routh a chance something they were never willing to do for Tom. And I think Welling supporters have shown their class by saying that and not being particularly hateful. That is why the "horrible" choice in the SHH poll hasn't got higher than it could have been if Welling supporters have voted in mass. Even so, just the fact that the "I don't know" got an overwelming result just shows how much ppl are not believing in this Superman too much.
I will see this movie mostly out of curiosity. I hope Routh does good for Singer and all the fans who trust him sake. Whay Huntress said has logic if you remember cases like Back To The Future and LOFTR where leading actors were replace while shooting had already started.
In conclusion I'm just gonna say that fortunatly we still have the tv show (and its dvds) and Welling in it and I want to thanked them and especially Tom for making me believe in Superman again, to making me go buy his comics and merchandise again.
You and Chris are forever in my humble opinion the one and only Supermen.
TomWellingsuperman12.jpg

I am a huge Smallville fan. I love the more grounded in reality take on Superman. It doesn't sound like the movie is going that direction. Besides there is a lot more to talk about with 4 seasons of Smallville than at the most 2 hour movie. From interview's he's done Tom has always been interested in making Clark a real person with flaws. I wonder if part of him turning it down (if he did) was because he has a different take on the character than Singer's reliving of the Donner films. I can't see him willing to play Clark super geeky.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
This is a great idea ! I look forward in continuing our discussions about Welling and company hopefully without the company of the bashers.
As for the movie - I think Singer will make a good film with a good story and even better special effects but his Superman just doesn't do it for me.
It's funny that the bashers are all now demanding that we should let Routh a chance something they were never willing to do for Tom. And I think Welling supporters have shown their class by saying that and not being particularly hateful. That is why the "horrible" choice in the SHH poll hasn't got higher than it could have been if Welling supporters have voted in mass. Even so, just the fact that the "I don't know" got an overwelming result just shows how much ppl are not believing in this Superman too much.
I will see this movie mostly out of curiosity. I hope Routh does good for Singer and all the fans who trust him sake. Whay Huntress said has logic if you remember cases like Back To The Future and LOFTR where leading actors were replace while shooting had already started.
In conclusion I'm just gonna say that fortunatly we still have the tv show (and its dvds) and Welling in it and I want to thanked them and especially Tom for making me believe in Superman again, to making me go buy his comics and merchandise again.
TomWellingsuperman12.jpg

In response to this, I'll say one thing: If Singer had picked Welling and everything went through, I would've given him a chance. I may not be a Wellingite, but I'm a Superman fan, and with Singer as the director, I would've accepted his choice.

Smallville is the only reason why I got into superman because it made the characters better in my opinion, something that the STM just never did for me. I really hope the movie is good, but we always have smallville which is getting better in my opinion

Posted by Jana over at DTS. I hadn't seen these before and figured you guys would appreciated 'em...

tw_wbpromo05.jpg
tw_wbpromo.jpg

The first one's my favorite Tom pic ever. Thanks!

Just when you thought the rampant egomania and self-delusion couldn't get any worse...

Tom Welling will always be Superman to me, even if that fool Bryan Singer can't see it. He chose Brandon Routh because he was an unknown. He said himself that from day one he would not even consider anyone with a decent resume for the role, which put Tom Welling out of the picture. Why, do you ask? Because Bryan Singer is making what he thinks Superman 3 should have been. Dan Harris said that the film takes place six years after Superman 2, and that General Zod may even be in it. They brought the donners on board as producers. Singer is using traditional wires and rigs for many of the flight shots, rather than green screen and CGI. He's getting Kevin Spacey to play a comical lex luthor. He even wants John Williams to score the movie. Why all this? Because he wants to make a sequel to Superman 2, because he sees himself as finishing what Richard Donner started, rather than making the first chapter in a completely new series. Singer's goal is only to live up to Donner's work, not to surpass it, because he thinks that the original movie is a sacred cow that cannot be tread upon. In my opinion this is setting the bar way too low.

Oh well, if Singer's movie is a dud, then maybe, just maybe... When Smallville is winding down near the end of it's sixth season, Warner Bros. will consider the possibility of a Superman movie set in the Smallville-verse, using all the cast of the show. After all, Buffy is probably going to get a cinematic sucsessor with the original cast re-united. If Smallville stays popular throughout it's latter seasons, Warners may consider giving it the Buffy treatment. It's a long shot, but the option is still there. Personally, I think that it'd be a much safer bet than trying to make a sequel to Singer's film, because it's doubtful that he will return for a second helping of Superman. He wants to do Logan's Run next, and I suspect that he sees his film as being a stand alone work; a book end to Superman 1 and 2. He probably won't see any reason why there should be a sequel, because he'll see it as a complete trilogy. If this happens, then Warners can either A) make a sequel without him, or B) clean the slate and make a movie in the Smallville-verse with Tom Welling, like they SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE! You can probably guess which option I'd go with.

REALITY CHECK:
1. Donner NEVER planned to do a trilogy. He and Tom Mankiewicz wanted to do a long-running series of Superman films. THIS IS FACT. The Superman Cinema site can verify this.
2. If Superman Returns fails, your wished-for Smallville: The Movie will NEVER happen, because WB will abandon the Superman mythos altogether out of the idea that the character doesn't sell anymore. And by the time they DO get around to reviving the character, it'll be at least 20 years from now, by which time the Smallville gang will be far too old to reprise their roles.
3. Welling has been said to not want to wear the Supersuit, and he's gone on the record with his disinterest in playing the adult Superman. Wizard ran an interview with him in which he said exactly that. If he doesn't want the role, then WB's hands are tied, aren't they?
4. Bryan Singer is not a "fool" because he doesn't share your EXACT viewpoint. That's the whole crux of your little ego-fest. You expected him to cater to YOUR vision of Superman. Guess what? He has his own opinions of the character. That's to be expected; no two fans share the exact same mindset. To expect him to think exactly howe you think, to want exactly what you want...THAT'S being a fool.
5. You're the type of guy who gives the Welling fans a bad name. Many of them AREN'T as egotistical and fanatical as you are. Many of them DON'T think they and they alone speak for the entire Superman fandom. So stop trying to paint yourself as the sole voice of the fandom.
6. Superman Returns will succeed or fail based on its own merits, NOT because of its ties or lack thereof to Smallville.

Now shut up and get over yourself.

King Krypton said:
Just when you thought the rampant egomania and self-delusion couldn't get any worse....

Uh huh..

King Krypton said:
REALITY CHECK:

2. If Superman Returns fails, your wished-for Smallville: The Movie will NEVER happen, because WB will abandon the Superman mythos altogether out of the idea that the character doesn't sell anymore. And by the time they DO get around to reviving the character, it'll be at least 20 years from now, by which time the Smallville gang will be far too old to reprise their roles..

Agreed.

King Krypton said:
3. Welling has been said to not want to wear the Supersuit, and he's gone on the record with his disinterest in playing the adult Superman. Wizard ran an interview with him in which he said exactly that. If he doesn't want the role, then WB's hands are tied, aren't they?.

Exactly when did that interview take place? Comments made pre-Singer may not necessarily reflect his feelings with Singer on board. I also think some of the comments he has made have been taken totally out of context when you read the full articles.

King Krypton said:
6. Superman Returns will succeed or fail based on its own merits, NOT because of its ties or lack thereof to Smallville..

Agreed again.

King Krypton said:

Now shut up and get over yourself.

Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Serene said:
I also think some of the comments he has made have been taken totally out of context when you read the full articles.
9 times out of ten they're taken completely out of context and/or implication whether people read the whole article or not... he can be quite an enigma can that fella...

AgentPat said:
Posted by Jana over at DTS. I hadn't seen these before and figured you guys would appreciated 'em...

tw_wbpromo05.jpg
tw_wbpromo.jpg

Thanks Pat.. you figured right. I have seen the one on the right before, but not the one on the left. Since my birthday ended about an hour ago, I'll consider that one my present. :)

Happy Birthday Serene! I have to start checking out DTS it seems like they get all this new stuff first. I also was going to start buying the magazine and now I'm behind =( I'm going to get the DVD set next month. Does anyone know why Tom's not doing any commentaries? I thought he did a fine job last time.

Lara said:
Happy Birthday Serene! I have to start checking out DTS it seems like they get all this new stuff first. I also was going to start buying the magazine and now I'm behind =( I'm going to get the DVD set next month. Does anyone know why Tom's not doing any commentaries? I thought he did a fine job last time.
Happy B-Day, Serene! :D

Lara, the images on DTS are in the Welling section. (Duh! LOL)

The magazine is great. Cover to cover SV. Ya can't go wrong. ;) Totally worth the cover price.

I just noticed that Welling isn't listed on the commentaries myself. Hard to believe. That's pretty bad if he really isn't on the disc - when MR, JG and AM are. What's up with that? *sigh*

"Tom Welling will always be Superman to me, even if that fool Bryan Singer can't see it. He chose Brandon Routh because he was an unknown. He said himself that from day one he would not even consider anyone with a decent resume for the role, which put Tom Welling out of the picture. Why, do you ask? Because Bryan Singer is making what he thinks Superman 3 should have been. Dan Harris said that the film takes place six years after Superman 2, and that General Zod may even be in it. They brought the donners on board as producers. Singer is using traditional wires and rigs for many of the flight shots, rather than green screen and CGI. He's getting Kevin Spacey to play a comical lex luthor. He even wants John Williams to score the movie. Why all this? Because he wants to make a sequel to Superman 2, because he sees himself as finishing what Richard Donner started, rather than making the first chapter in a completely new series. Singer's goal is only to live up to Donner's work, not to surpass it, because he thinks that the original movie is a sacred cow that cannot be tread upon. In my opinion this is setting the bar way too low.

Oh well, if Singer's movie is a dud, then maybe, just maybe... When Smallville is winding down near the end of it's sixth season, Warner Bros. will consider the possibility of a Superman movie set in the Smallville-verse, using all the cast of the show. After all, Buffy is probably going to get a cinematic sucsessor with the original cast re-united. If Smallville stays popular throughout it's latter seasons, Warners may consider giving it the Buffy treatment. It's a long shot, but the option is still there. Personally, I think that it'd be a much safer bet than trying to make a sequel to Singer's film, because it's doubtful that he will return for a second helping of Superman. He wants to do Logan's Run next, and I suspect that he sees his film as being a stand alone work; a book end to Superman 1 and 2. He probably won't see any reason why there should be a sequel, because he'll see it as a complete trilogy. If this happens, then Warners can either A) make a sequel without him, or B) clean the slate and make a movie in the Smallville-verse with Tom Welling, like they SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE! You can probably guess which option I'd go with."

you're so goddamn pathetic. All you do is spout BS, and you're such a damn hypocryte.

You say hes a fool for not making a new chapter, yet you want Smallville the movie?! You're so full of crap, man. You dont even care about Superman! You just think you're an expert because you watch Smallville? In this week, you, YJ1, and muscles have given the Wellingites a bad name.

And Dont you DARE say you speak for the fandom.

sage1047 said:
In response to this, I'll say one thing: If Singer had picked Welling and everything went through, I would've given him a chance. I may not be a Wellingite, but I'm a Superman fan, and with Singer as the director, I would've accepted his choice.

I know Sage, that comment wasn't directed at you.
I have a little problem when fans talk about "Smallville The Movie" because even when it's mentioned for a good reason it usually does more harm than good. First because it makes over-zealous Welling haters go overboard in posts that otherwise could've been alot more respectful (even if just a bit) and second because 90% of the Welling fans don't want "Smallville The Movie" even if they want Welling as Superman.
Thirdly even in theory it's kind of a ridiculous idea: why do it when we have the show on the air for it's fourth season and when it will possibly go even more ? The audience would want something different or else they won't pay for something they get for free on tv each week.
What some of us want (and it's almost maliciously misunderstood as wanting Smallville the movie by the bashers) is some of the actors from the show just based on the fact that we think they're the most qualified (examp: Schneider) and/or want to see how they progress in the story (examp: Rosenbaum) BUT in another type of story, in this case years further, with Clark now in Metropolis and as Superman not on the same premise as the show or even necessarily in it's continuity. That's my take on this whole Smallville The Movie controversy that's been going on here for quite some time.
As for the Welling comments regarding the movie, the suit and the character they've been all taken out of context even because most of them (the ones that were not were in the beginning of the show where I agree it would have been really premature to accept or when type-casting concerns would be more worrying) they were mostly done when negotiations where being held and nothing concrete could be said.
I think alot of ppl "gang'ed" on Tom just because he wasn't an avid hardcore Superman fan like most of us and he was open about it. I think it's better than to be politically correct about it and even "lie" (like some do) just to get the support of the fans. At least he was open about it but at the same time he was a fan of the movies and even used to dress as Superman when he was little. It also helped him in his more human (and not larger than life) portrayal of the character that won him the hearts of millions of fans - it made Superman (which at times lost fan base because of being such an invencible and iconic figure) someone that the average person could relate to, which is (to give an example) why Spider-Man is so successful in every medium. I think it was fair and wise for Tom to have some reservations in playing Superman in the movie because he really wants to build a career and is not just interested in money. He would have been a fool if he hadn't put things in perspective. Christopher Reeve had some good movies but he also had a lot of flops or less interesting movies and what made him live on on the hearts of ppl (and we have to be honest in this) was not only the fact that he was THE Superman but because of the courage and bravery to which he fought his paralysis (he then became as iconic as the character itself) or else we would have been more quickly forgotten unfortunatly.
But Tom's more recent comments have been alot more positive, he's has much knowledge of the comics and the mythology and also about the movie. He said on British radio that he would do it his best to try and do the role, A friend of mine met him in Vancouver and he told him that he doesn't really have a problem with being called Superman, he loves the character and his role in it's legacy and almost everywhere he goes he gets called that and not Tom or Clark. I loved how he talked about Superman being about hope on it's ABC interview and how he almost used the name Superman in every sentence in which he discussed the role or the show.
He met with Rattner to discuss the possibility of him doing his Superman. If he didn't like it or to use the suit he wouldn't even have gone there. He did decline McG which is not surprising given the quality of the script and the director. It's safe to say that he got in this recent race for the role because of his discussions with Singer and/or the fact that Singer was involved being a more accomplished director and after eventual conversations with Chris Reeve who became a sort of mentor to him.
Also he almost got the role and he practically announced it at CCA which got him in trouble. He wouldn't do that if he didn't like it.
I seriously think he didn't refused the role (and if he did, he did it to protect the jobs of the Smallville crew, period), I do believe he did sign with the notion it was a done deal and Warner then revealed it's second intentions which were to search an unknown and have Welling in their hands in case that failed. It could also be the case of Welling realizing this and when they came to him again, he refused due to being furious of being lied to (agravated by the problems he's been having with them) and making Singer and Warner go with the best of the tested unknowns which was Routh.
Painting him to be the bad guy in this (as it has been Warner's m.o. with every actor that leaves a franchise like Batman and others) makes the Welling fans with little to argue with (since the other party will certainly throw at their faces that Welling "didn't want it") and make them go quietly and even support this new Superman in which they don't believe in. This unfortunatly has been the case here - I was sad to see so many fans accept it and even blame TW for it. It makes me sad not because he is not Superman but because it's what Warner and the Welling haters want, so they can have their last laugh.
Also by keeping SV on the tv even if at the same time as the movie it also helps keep ppl shut up. Would you really think ppl would go so quietly if suddenly now Warner said SV ends now at ep.13 so not to confuse ppl regarding who Superman is and to erase Welling from their minds ? Somehow I don't think so... But that is just my humble opinion.

Who knows if we'll ever get the whole story on Welling.

AgentPat said:
I just noticed that Welling isn't listed on the commentaries myself. Hard to believe. That's pretty bad if he really isn't on the disc - when MR, JG and AM are. What's up with that? *sigh*

*popping out of lurk mode*

Anyone have any ideas about this? I find it very curious too, that he's cancelling appearances on The View, not doing commentaries, and generally laying low (or so it seems). Coincidence? Maybe it's nothing, but it is curious, is it not? If any of the behind the scenes type rumors involving him and the S-V movie are true, maybe that's why he's avoiding things? I wonder if there are still snags with what may have or may not have happened with the movie stuff? Why all the silence? Anybody know a good entertainment lawyer? j/k :p
Or maybe his commentary will be in an easter egg....naw.
Perhaps his next job will be with Fox, or whomeverisntwarner. :)

Serene said:
I doubt it will, there is much less traffic, therefore less drive-by posters in this forum. A lot of the die-hard comic fans really dislike SV because it isn't 100% canon with the Supes mythos in their heads. Their loss ;) .
Yep...

JcDc said:
Jeez! Just when I thought it was safe to come back into the water.

BTW: this manip is just dang creepy. Whoever did it should have taken the red out of his eyes and made them a less flourescent blue...

Routh looked hung over in that photo anyway, I wouldn't think it would work well for a manip unless you removed the red from his very dark brown eyes.

Did anyone else notice that his nose and lips are LARGER than Wellings HAHAHAH LOL. Somehow the anti Wellings aren't complaining. I think he looks like David Schwimmer anyone want to do a side by side of Super Ross. Ardinhielle- Hello. I wonder if he didn't like the job he did on the last commentaries or something. It does seem weird.I don't see how you could be too busy for a 45 minute commentary. I am pouting about it.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
TomWellingsuperman12.jpg

ugh it pains me everytime I see that manip to think what might have been. Routh better be undergoing one bad place of a makeover to look the part..

Ardrhielle said:
*popping out of lurk mode*

Anyone have any ideas about this? I find it very curious too, that he's cancelling appearances on The View, not doing commentaries, and generally laying low (or so it seems). Coincidence? Maybe it's nothing, but it is curious, is it not? If any of the behind the scenes type rumors involving him and the S-V movie are true, maybe that's why he's avoiding things? I wonder if there are still snags with what may have or may not have happened with the movie stuff? Why all the silence? Anybody know a good entertainment lawyer? j/k :p
Or maybe his commentary will be in an easter egg....naw.
Perhaps his next job will be with Fox, or whomeverisntwarner. :)

I think it's safe to say he's laying low because whether it's on tv or on the street everyone will ask him why isn't he the one in the movie and he may be tempted to tell the whole story so it's better not to be out in the public eye at all. By doing this he's also doing Routh a huge favor. All one needs to do it take a look at the SHH poll. In between the "I don't know", "he's ok" and the "horrible" ppl are not too interested in this Superman especially now that Chris is gone. I tend to agree with Muscles that even the excitement in the boards diminished. I believe it is because of Welling not being chosen. So many ppl came here writing in the hope of their voice being heard and see their Superman of choice in the movie and even the bashers now don't have much to argue with because Welling supporters respectfully have left the discussions and there's not much to argue with anyway, Routh is younger and has even less esperience than Welling. Welling bashers loved to hate him. That is a testament of Tom Welling's greatness: he inspired great passion in love and hate.

Actually I think the excitement over at the Supes boards has diminished because of two factors:

A) A lot of people leaving because their choice, whether Welling, JC or whomever wasn't chosen, so some feel they have no reason to stay, they didn't get what they want.

B) That's the regular flow. Over at the Bat boards, excitement came in bursts from news announcements. There were dry spells, yet once there was more news every other week or so, the boards were filled with activity.

I don't know about Welling's greatness: anyone can inspire great passion in love and hate. :)

sage1047 said:
I don't know about Welling's greatness: anyone can inspire great passion in love and hate. :)
Meh. Not just anybody. It may not necessarily be "greatness," but there IS obviously something there that inspires such passionately heated debate between both sides. Name any other actor who's come even remotely close, never mind surpassing, the pervasive level of discussion both pro and con that Welling has inspired on Superman message boards. Ever. :D

The man reaches people regardless of race, gender, etc., and hits 'em on a gut level. There's something there, Sage. I don't know what it is, but it's definitely there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"