Did "Homecoming" change the opinion of any non-Welling fans?

I didn't address that to you specifically, but it does apply to some people.

My point is that there are a lot of people who are always going to hate the idea of Tom being Superman in a movie no matter what. A single great episode of Smallville isn't going to change their minds.

He could give an Emmy-caliber performance on the show and to some people, it wouldn't matter because it's still SMALLVILLE - a show they look down their noses at.

Tom's ability to play Superman in a 2 hour Big film, with a Big budget and MONTHS to shoot and re-shoot just can't be compared to SV where the entire 1 hour show is filmed in 6 days.

People can hate SV - which I actually can totally respect, even if I don't agree - but to hold the scripts and story direction of the show against Tom Welling's ability to perform as Superman in a movie is ridiculous and short-sighted. The movie needs someone with a great look, who can bring both the action and the romance and the heroic nature of this character.

Tom's been doing all that and more for 12-14 hours a day, 6 days a week, 9 months a year - for 10 YEARS.

So, not liking Smallville is one thing, saying Tom can't do it is another.

Not liking his "look" is a valid argument - but that boggles my mind too.

I have to put my vote in as well.
:hrt::hrt:

Luv you for this. *Hugs*

My point is that there are a lot of people who are always going to hate the idea of Tom being Superman in a movie no matter what. A single great episode of Smallville isn't going to change their minds.

He could give an Emmy-caliber performance on the show and to some people, it wouldn't matter because it's still SMALLVILLE - a show they look down their noses at.

Tom's ability to play Superman in a 2 hour Big film, with a Big budget and MONTHS to shoot and re-shoot just can't be compared to SV where the entire 1 hour show is filmed in 6 days.

People can hate SV - which I actually can totally respect, even if I don't agree - but to hold the scripts and story direction of the show against Tom Welling's ability to perform as Superman in a movie is ridiculous and short-sighted. The movie needs someone with a great look, who can bring both the action and the romance and the heroic nature of this character.

Tom's been doing all that and more for 12-14 hours a day, 6 days a week, 9 months a year - for 10 YEARS.

So quoted for truth.

:up: :super: :supes: :hrt:

By the same token you can offer dozens of arguments why Tom Welling is not going to get it or shouldn't get it that have absolutely nothing to do with his acting ability to his supporters, and they will still offer the supreme argument of "he deserves it" as if that carries any weight in Hollywood.

For the sake of argument let's say that being in another universe doesn't matter, that WB doesn't care about people being confused, that Tom Welling would actually want the part (and I've seen no indication whatsoever that he does), based solely on his acting skill, would he be a viable candidate for a new Superman movie.

I say again no, because in what movies he did star in he never showed impressive talent. When taken out of his element, he didn't shine, he merely made do. Furthermore, he's been playing a version of this character for 10 years and I don't think it'd be that easy for him to completely reassess the character as he would have to for a Superman movie. He thinks about Superman a certain way for 10 years, now in a matter of months he has to completely re-think it.

I have nothing against Welling, I love the work he did on Smallville. If he came out and said yes, I wanna be Superman in the new movie, I would probably even support him. But until he does, I see no reason to support a fan movement to get him the part that in my eyes is based solely on an emotional factor.

By the same token you can offer dozens of arguments why Tom Welling is not going to get it or shouldn't get it that have absolutely nothing to do with his acting ability to his supporters, and they will still offer the supreme argument of "he deserves it" as if that carries any weight in Hollywood.

For the sake of argument let's say that being in another universe doesn't matter, that WB doesn't care about people being confused, that Tom Welling would actually want the part (and I've seen no indication whatsoever that he does), based solely on his acting skill, would he be a viable candidate for a new Superman movie.

I say again no, because in what movies he did star in he never showed impressive talent. When taken out of his element, he didn't shine, he merely made do. Furthermore, he's been playing a version of this character for 10 years and I don't think it'd be that easy for him to completely reassess the character as he would have to for a Superman movie. He thinks about Superman a certain way for 10 years, now in a matter of months he has to completely re-think it.

I have nothing against Welling, I love the work he did on Smallville. If he came out and said yes, I wanna be Superman in the new movie, I would probably even support him. But until he does, I see no reason to support a fan movement to get him the part that in my eyes is based solely on an emotional factor.

He in fact said he'd love to do it at comic con, but it's not as simple as him wanting to do it or not.

I don't have the clip, but maybe someone else can manage to bring it in.

As for acting ability. The three films he was in didn't allow him to shine, so it's little wonder you didn't think he did.

The Fog had a hack of a director and the two Cheaper by the Dozen films Tom really had little more than cameos. The first one he was able to do more, had more screen time, but he was barely in the second one.

I don't think those films are good indications of his acting ability.

If episodes like Transference and Labyrinth aren't enough to convince people what a terrific actor he is, I would advise people to try and find one of the episodes of Judging Amy he was in.

He was completely different in that than he is in Smallville. It's watching those that really got me convinced he could act.

That would be the nice thing to do if tom wanted to do a test for them

Probably would be. Heck I know I would love to meet nolan mysel. To talk production stuff. @ause that is what I went to school for and want to do.

Couldn't have said it better ! Awesome post Serene.

Tom seems like a smart guy. I'm sure hearing that Nolan and Zack Snyder are part of the project, he'd be pretty interested in it. Or at least I would. LOL :D

Now if only someone would point all this out to Snyder and Nolan to hopefully convince them to at least give Tom fair consideration.

They'd be dumb not to, I think. And neither man is stuipid.

Also, Tom's acting has gotten so good and his physicality has never been better for Superman.

I really hope Nolan and Snyder give Tom a serious look and at least talk to him about it.

:up:

Haven't they always talked to him any time their was a new Superman film in development? I'm not sure, so I'm asking. :D

I've always been critical of Smallville but the show is soooo much more enjoyable when it's obligated to get to the point and focus on developing towards Superman.

It doesn't change the fact that this is a continuity that has some really stupid things in it BUT Homecoming made me feel more like you could still get a worthy version of Superman out of the whole thing and that a Metropolis series would be fun to watch. Welling and Durance have a really great chemistry. Basically continue it but take the exact opposite tact of Smallville. Yes to tights, flights, fights and everything nice.

Between Smallville spending 10 years developing how to do super-powers for tv and some of the great effects work on shows like Doctor Who I'm not so sure doing a real straight up Superman tv series would be so impossible.

I've always been critical of Smallville but the show is soooo much more enjoyable when it's obligated to get to the point and focus on developing towards Superman.

It doesn't change the fact that this is a continuity that has some really stupid things in it BUT Homecoming made me feel more like you could still get a worthy version of Superman out of the whole thing and that a Metropolis series would be fun to watch. Welling and Durance have a really great chemistry. Basically continue it but take the exact opposite tact of Smallville. Yes to tights, flights, fights and everything nice.

Between Smallville spending 10 years developing how to do super-powers for tv and some of the great effects work on shows like Doctor Who I'm not so sure doing a real straight up Superman tv series would be so impossible.

The scene where he talks to himself in the elevator made him seem stiff, or bad or off somehow. Could have been the timing, or something, but he seemed not so good there.
But the episode showed where they could take the story, having Clark and Lois still become the characters we know and love despite some changes they made to the story in the show.

i thought tom did great as both clarks in that scene.

Being a fan of Tom Welling does not = wanting him to be Superman in the new movie. I like him, but he should not be Superman on the big screen.

Its called a reboot for a reason. No previous Superman incarnations will be tied to the new film, so why cast an actor who's not only playing the current Clark Kent but has been doing so for the past 10 years? It'll look like Smallville: The Movie, and it just will screw up/confuse continuity.

Its called a reboot for a reason. No previous Superman incarnations will be tied to the new film, so why cast an actor who's not only playing the current Clark Kent but has been doing so for the past 10 years? It'll look like Smallville: The Movie, and it just will screw up/confuse continuity.

I just don't understand who is actually going to be "confused?" Is it really THAT hard? Smallville - Clark Kent - Superman, etc. Beyond that the details will work themselves out as they always do in every version of the tale that's been told.

oh totally the studio heads probably think we fans are idiots at times and cant tell this is one cartoon take, this is another, and same with live action tv and live action film takes. IT sucks but oh well. Same with embargos on x character not being able to be used for live action or animation. Though looking at smallville has gotten to use some great characters and got to be the first live action takes on some like wonder twins, green arrow, aquaman, jsa(members) to other characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"