Revenge of the Fallen The official Transformers:Revenge Of The Fallen movie critics review thread

Metacritic might be a better review site to you but I like RT. And thats not a knock on Metacritic, I visit that site too.

Metacritic might be a better review site to you but I like RT. And thats not a knock on Metacritic, I visit that site too.

That's cool, it's your preference (your opinion) and you're entitled to it - a basic understanding that seems to escape most people who post in any forum, not just the Hype's. I visit both as well, however, RT has started to annoy me as it has been growing. In general it seems to have turned into a b****fest over there and I really am not a fan of the addition of bloggers as critics. I think RT scores are skewed lower because of this, hence my preference for Metacritic.

Last edited:
We won't get any kind of indication of genuine WOM until after Wednesday. These reviews mean nothing in the long run if the public adores the film as much as they did the first one.

Just looking around my own general network of friends, I know people who are rushing to the midnight premiere of this movie who aren't even real movie buffs. This is the first legit event film since The Dark Knight. And I don't think any of these reviews from critics, or from the internet diehards, is going to translate.

yeah I was pointing out to the whiners that it will be fine...because when you re-read the reviews on RT for the first movie...the same things were being said...like...identical mumbo jumbo. Then when the first movie came out it was huge...so if anyone is concerned about the RT rating...not to worry...

Judging by the reviews the movie sounds like the first one to me...so what are the critics who liked the first one's problems with it?

Did they just wake up and suddenly realize what I knew a few months after watching the flick on DVD? It just wasn't a good movie, it only seemed somewhat okay because Spider-Man 3, Shriek 3 and Pirates 3 sucked so hard and disappointed almost everyone.

All I can say is welcome to reality critics you are atleast a year and a half late.
From the sounds of it, this movie is relentlessly unpleasant. And some of the dumb fun that esteemed critics like Michael Phillips and Roger Ebert managed to get from it is gone and replaced with increased instances of vulgarity, racism, misogyny and noise. So no, they're not "waking up" late. They liked the first movie genuinely, and this movie is apparently lacking in the things that they liked.

From the sounds of it, this movie is relentlessly unpleasant. And some of the dumb fun that esteemed critics like Michael Phillips and Roger Ebert managed to get from it is gone and replaced with increased instances of vulgarity, racism, misogyny and noise. So no, they're not "waking up" late. They liked the first movie genuinely, and this movie is apparently lacking in the things that they liked.
I remember the first one having, vulgarity, racism and misogyny mixed in with the admittedly dumb fun.

I won't know until I watch the sequel in six or seven months but so far I haven't read about anything that was much dumber than the first one. As a matter of fact the only thing that sounds much worse is the racism.

I remember the first one having, vulgarity, racism and misogyny mixed in with the admittedly dumb fun.

I won't know until I watch the sequel in six or seven months but so far I haven't read about anything that was much dumber than the first one. As a matter of fact the only thing that sounds much worse is the racism.
I think that's just it. There's more of all that stuff in this one than there was in the last one. I've read a few reviews and I get the feeling that I'm going to have to take a shower after I see it.

Michael Bay makes movies for the Spike TV crowd. Now do I enjoy a bit of Spike-fueled machismo on occasion? Yes. Which is why I tolerate his filmography...my chromosomes are tuned to it.

The first movie had the novelty factor. It was the first time anyone was seeing Transformers on the big screen so they could forgive everything dumb about the movie just for the sake of the action and the "new-ness" of it all. In the sequel you better be offering something fresh because the same old crap isn't going to cut it...especially if you increase the dumb aspects of the first movie with the same old action sequences. Too many times I've seen people say this is a remake of the first film. And if that's the case it's no wonder people are bored.

The first movie had the novelty factor. It was the first time anyone was seeing Transformers on the big screen so they could forgive everything dumb about the movie just for the sake of the action and the "new-ness" of it all. In the sequel you better be offering something fresh because the same old crap isn't going to cut it...especially if you increase the dumb aspects of the first movie with the same old action sequences. Too many times I've seen people say this is a remake of the first film. And if that's the case it's no wonder people are bored.

Especially with a 2.5 hour runtime.

Dustin Putman tore this movie to shreds -- a 0 out of 4 star rating. He ends his review by saying "Early word is describing this woebegone fiasco as the next "Batman and Robin." Having seen both, Joel Schumacher has every right to protest the comparison. "

http://themovieboy.com/reviews/t/09_transformers2.htm

He hated the first movie too -- which got a 0.5 out of 4 star rating.

Most of these critics are *****es.They tend to bash anything that's not Schindler's List or Titanic.One thing to remember is that this movie franchise is based on a Saturday morning cartoon show after all an ACTION cartoon.So this movie is supposed have alot of in your face bots kicking each others arse.It's not nor will it ever be some melodramatic,compelling chick-flick.

I enjoy brainless action movies too, but for the life of me, Michael Bay can't stage, shoot and edit decent action sequences to save his life. Either he uses the rapid-cut method where we can't figure out what's happening or overuses slow-mo/bullet time. The only good thing Bay is good at is making stuff blow up.

Sad really.

I enjoy brainless action movies too, but for the life of me, Michael Bay can't stage, shoot and edit decent action sequences to save his life. Either he uses the rapid-cut method where we can't figure out what's happening or overuses slow-mo/bullet time. The only good thing Bay is good at is making stuff blow up.

Sad really.

Yeah, I thought the camerawork for TF1's action was awful. And the design of the Transformers didn't help matters. They all looked so similar it was difficult to tell the difference between the Autobots and Decepticons, ESPECIALLY when Bay used the close-up cameras during action sequences.

24% on RT. Yikes!! This movie will be critic proof (I so hate that word lol) for OW and the week after. It may take a bit of a dive after that though. It'll be interesting to hear what the general audiences think. WOM will be mixed this time that's for sure.

I'll be seeing it tomorrow.

I think the fact that we're now seeing a LOT of bad reviews from critics who gave the first TF movie a pass or even liked it a lot is speaking volumes.

I think I died a little on the inside when Ebert gave this one 1/4 stars but gave the first 3/4. I usually agree with him. :csad:

*crosses fingers A LOT*

I think I died a little on the inside when Ebert gave this one 1/4 stars but gave the first 3/4. I usually agree with him. :csad:

*crosses fingers A LOT*

This review right here gave me a pretty good idea:

http://themovieblog.com/2009/06/transformers-2-review

That guy is a Transformers fanboy who LOVED the first movie and was more hyped up for it than any other movie in his life other than the Star Wars prequels. Yet he was very bothered by how the bad elements of TF1 seem to be ramped up on steroids in TF2 to the point of it dragging the movie down. He said that the good elements of TF1 have been ramped up as well in TF2, just that overall it was a mixed experience for him (5 out of 10).

*crosses fingers A LOT*

BTW Ebert liked TF1 but didn't like robots fighting in TF1 and cause TF2 has more robot fighting he doesn't like TF2. If TF2 had more human interaction than TF1 Ebert would probably liked it.

Film Critics just offer their opinion when they review movies. That's all it is just his or her opinion. All that matters is what you think

If the reaction from people on Twitter is any indication, this movie is going to be absolutely humongous. The response so far has been overwhelmingly positive. My eyes are almost glazed over from reading the words "epic" and "best movie ever" 50,000 times over.

And these are the folks who make up the general audience.

Critics and purists be damned, this is going to be a huge hit.

If the reaction from people on Twitter is any indication, this movie is going to be absolutely humongous. The response so far has been overwhelmingly positive. My eyes are almost glazed over from reading the words "epic" and "best movie ever" 50,000 times over.

This is why I don't trust anyone who has a twitter account..........including you

Chud hated it with a passion.

The thing about Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is that it's an objectively bad film. The comedy doesn't work (and there's oh so ****ing much of it), the characters are so flat you can't see them from the side, the plot has so many holes you begin to think surrealism was the point, the actors are bored, the action scenes are incoherent, the finale is a staggering anti-climax, the villain makes cyphers seem fully rounded, the pacing perfectly replicates the concept of 'death march'... there's nothing that works in this film.
http://chud.com/articles/articles/19948/1/REVIEW-TRANSFORMERS---REVENGE-OF-THE-FALLEN-/Page1.html

And this is coming from someone who liked the first movie.

While I agree that a film critic's opinion doesn't necessarily mean much of anything to the average moviegoer, a lot of the negative criticism I'm reading is coming from fanboy sites like Chud. That fact carries a bit more weight with me. Still, the only way to know for sure is to see and judge it yourself.

Saw it...meh first one was better
but I do think that some critics are eing overly harsh with it

The aintitcool guys have got there reviews in -

Quints - i don't think he hated it, i couldn't really tell what his opnion was to be honest -

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41514

Massawrym's - the one guy from that site that i always agree with -
"This film is a total and complete waste; a soggy, half baked dessert of a film that you can’t even say “Well, at least the action was cool.” It is an embarrassment, a pathetic misuse of hundreds of millions of dollars that only serves as the new model for excess run amok."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41503

And finally Harry's -
"The filmmakers, studio and toymakers behind this film should be ashamed. To spend this type of money to bring this sort of hurtful and repugnant work to screen - it is an insult to every DREAM that so many have WORKed for, for years."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41512

^ And you believe that???

This movie will 99,9% for sure be a ****ing embarrassing experience! I have no doubt that it'll be complete and utter crap, filled with only fantastic effects.... And yet still, I'm seeing it tonight!.... Why is it that I need to see this ****??? I dont get it.

Man critics SUCK man!

I respect when they review a Well-acted, great, smart movie High, but once a movie is ALL about action/special effect, they can't stand it. They just don't like Action/FX movies that much.

Have they ever?

Funny thing is, Batman Dark Knight is really good, but TDK did not have much Special Effects, and action is certainly much much less/different than these transformer's.

They just DON'T get it! A movie CAN also be great when it's Action-packed NONSTOP!!!

It needs NO masterpiece plot or acting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"