The Official WATCHMEN VS TDK Thread

True.

My opinion's the minority here, but I am in complete agreement with Alan Moore that Watchmen would have been best just not made into a movie. Cram everything you can from the book onto film, it doesn't work well in the different medium, or enough to do the book justice. Cut things and alter stuff too much, and it's not Watchmen.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. You'll never please everyone, but you have to do the best you can with what you have. I think that honestly (and I know its a cliche' opinion) that this was material that would have been so much better as a twelve part HBO miniseries or not at all. There's just too damn much important (and some of it seems unimportant at first) stuff to leave out without the end product feeling somewhat lacking.

i can guarantee you if it was 6 hours long with everything in it from the novel from under the hood to TBF it would still be disliked

one of the main reasons is there are certain aspects of the book that we go flip back and make sure we understood it completely cant do that in a movie

i agree with guard imo Snyder really doesn't have much room for creativity without deviating from the source material and pissing off the fans.While TDK has years and years of material to choose from and choose what story he wants and what characters to go with. While watchmen is 1 story and 1 story only doesn't leave much room for creativity because original source material is already creative.

i can guarantee you if it was 6 hours long with everything in it from the novel from under the hood to TBF it would still be disliked

one of the main reasons is there are certain aspects of the book that we go flip back and make sure we understood it completely cant do that in a movie

well i'd watch a 6 hour version of Watchmen on DVD

i agree with guard imo Snyder really doesn't have much room for creativity without deviating from the source material and pissing off the fans.While TDK has years and years of material to choose from and choose what story he wants and what characters to go with. While watchmen is 1 story and 1 story only doesn't leave much room for creativity because original source material is already creative.

Excuse me, if I get this right; If the original material is creative that prevents you from being creative? If you have 1 story only then you have no chance to be creative? Come on.

I have to disagree.

For once, Nolan did change A LOT of the original material (and I don't see many fans complaining). So the quality of the material did not prevent him from being creative.

In fact what you say about having tons of stories vs having just one might work the other way around. If you have just one story (not to mention is a very good one) you have a lot of the work done already. You don't have to spend hours searching, comparing, summing and mixing elements from 70 years. Many movies are adaptations from books, that is, a specific story. And that has always worked as a starting point. Don't tell me now that's an extra difficulty.

Creativity limits comes from the one who's supposed to be creative alone.

Now, I liked Watchmen, but I think Snyder's problem is not that he had one story or that the story is good, but that his style relies too much on it. He seems to think that if the material is great, all you have to do is taking it to the screen frame by frame with a little ornamentation here and there. And it doesn't work that way. It seems that Snyder feels that he doesn't have to have a personal vision on the story since the original source (and its author) already has it. But that shows.

Nolan, on the other hand, went to the point of understanding the characters not only basing his vision on the comic books but on what they really are, beyond the original source. Joker is more than the white-faced psycho clown he's in the comics; he's a modern terrorist with a solid anarchist ideology. Many people feels that Nolan bat-movies are not too batman-ish or comic-esque, and they're not. He found a way to portray the story in a much bigger scope.

Now please, I'm not saying that is the only way to do it or the only right/good way to do it. But it's an example of how you can be creative even with a good original material.

If all you amateur filmmakers are going to wax poetic about how, in order to make a movie, or in this case, a movie adaption of existing material, you need to put something of yourself into it, I would very much like to know what you think that means. Not condeming your viewpoint, just curious to know specifics.

You're twisting what I said. At this point, I'd rather just drop it and move on because you're clearly not going to even try to see this from my point of view on anything.

I wash my hands of this thread.

Actually, I'm not twisting anything. I'm responding to what you very clearly said. If you misspoke, feel free to correct your statements. But I thought, per your PM, that you weren't going to bother responding to me and my "ridiculous lawyer" bit anymore.

It's about making what your translating or adapting work for the other medium, and I think that Snyder was less focused on making the piece work dramatically in its cinematic medium, and more on filming a tribute to the book with a few changes and streamlining here and there.

Ok...this is a fair beginning of a point. So what exactly does your statement mean?

What does "making the piece work dramatically in its cinematic medium" specifically mean, in terms of adapting the source material?

That's why I say Zack Snyder seemed to think more along the lines of "Hey, this is a great book and most everything works, let's not change it too much", admittedly admirably, but with less thought into how it would work cinematically.

So then...what doesn't work cinematically?

It is, at once, not quite that simple and very much that simple. If you're adapting, say, OLIVER TWIST, or any classic work, or any work, period, you do not simply generally make up new things for the entire story because you're making a film adaption of it. You honor the original material. This should, at it's core, be the key reason that you, as an artist, creatively adapt an existing property. At least, that's how it used to be. If you want to add elements, and improve minor elements along the way, great. But for someone to suggest that the entire story needs to be reworked? I think too many people are looking at WATCHMEN through the lens of the usual superhero adaption, where a filmmaker often has no choice but to distill the material, to pick and choose from the mythology, to condense said mythology, and to create new elements that often combine existing ones.

I keep seeing people say "He followed the book too closely". Go tell that tale to a true, die-hard WATCHMEN fan. See what response you get.

No, the quality of the existing material does not, in itself, prevent one from being creative in adapting the material. But what's the point of adapting an existing property if you're just going to do your own thing all the way through?

Lost on many people is that Snyder DIDN'T just take everything that's already there and put it onscreen. He created a movie with additional scenes, elements, and in some key cases, new approaches to various concepts that also honored the source material. He also removed several elements of the source material.

Major changes:

-Sally Jupiter's portrayal
-The nature of Nite Owl and Silk Spectre's costumes, inhibitions, and impotence angles.
-The ending and exploration of the morality of the ending has changed, and some of the book's key themes are brought to the surface in important ways.

And that's just spitballing. There are countless other visual additions, thematic alterations, and story alterations that have been made to the source material. There are little changes he made, and there are large ones.

Now, I liked Watchmen, but I think Snyder's problem is not that he had one story or that the story is good, but that his style relies too much on it. He seems to think that if the material is great, all you have to do is taking it to the screen frame by frame with a little ornamentation here and there.

Can you elaborate? Where, specifically, does the movie suffer for this approach? Why is this not an appropriate approach to making a movie, especially if you do alter the material for cinema along the way?

And it doesn't work that way. It seems that Snyder feels that he doesn't have to have a personal vision on the story since the original source (and its author) already has it. But that shows.

It just strikes me as ridiculous to even remotely suggest that none of Snyder's personal vision is found in WATCHMEN.

Nolan, on the other hand, went to the point of understanding the characters not only basing his vision on the comic books but on what they really are, beyond the original source. Joker is more than the white-faced psycho clown he's in the comics; he's a modern terrorist with a solid anarchist ideology.

Especially in the last 20-30 years, by any standard definition of the phrases, the Joker has been a modern terrorist with anarchistic elements. He's almost always been about causing chaos, tearing down authority and structure, etc. This is not a new element that Chris Nolan created, the Nolans simply used an existing character element very well. But when you think about it, while it's not used as well, even Tim Burton's BATMAN used similar elements over 20 years ago.

Batman comics have been using this element for YEARS, as far back as his first appearance, and it's even found in the 40's and 50's.

Many people feels that Nolan bat-movies are not too batman-ish or comic-esque, and they're not. He found a way to portray the story in a much bigger scope.

A bigger scope? In what sense? In terms of comparison to the comics, or to other Batman movies?

Last edited:
If all you amateur filmmakers are going to wax poetic about how, in order to make a movie, or in this case, a movie adaption of existing material, you need to put something of yourself into it, I would very much like to know what you think that means. Not condeming your viewpoint, just curious to know specifics.

Actually, I'm not twisting anything. I'm responding to what you very clearly said. If you misspoke, feel free to correct your statements. But I thought, per your PM, that you weren't going to bother responding to me and my "ridiculous lawyer" bit anymore.

Ok...this is a fair beginning of a point. So what exactly does your statement mean?

What does "making the piece work dramatically in its cinematic medium" specifically mean, in terms of adapting the source material?

It is, at once, not quite that simple and very much that simple. If you're adapting, say, OLIVER TWIST, or any classic work, or any work, period, you do not simply generally make up new things for the entire story because you're making a film adaption of it. You honor the original material. This should, at it's core, be the key reason that you, as an artist, creatively adapt an existing property. At least, that's how it used to be. If you want to add elements, and improve minor elements along the way, great. But for someone to suggest that the entire story needs to be reworked? I think too many people are looking at WATCHMEN through the lens of the usual superhero adaption, where a filmmaker often has no choice but to distill the material, to pick and choose from the mythology, to condense said mythology, and to create new elements that often combine existing ones.

I keep seeing people say "He followed the book too closely". Go tell that tale to a true, die-hard WATCHMEN fan. See what response you get.

No, the quality of the existing material does not, in itself, prevent one from being creative in adapting the material. But what's the point of adapting an existing property if you're just going to do your own thing all the way through?

Lost on many people is that Snyder DIDN'T just take everything that's already there and put it onscreen. He created a movie with additional scenes, elements, and in some key cases, new approaches to various concepts that also honored the source material. He also removed several elements of the source material.

Major changes:

-Sally Jupiter's portrayal
-The nature of Nite Owl and Silk Spectre's costumes, inhibitions, and impotence angles.
-The ending and exploration of the morality of the ending has changed, and some of the book's key themes are brought to the surface in important ways.

And that's just spitballing. There are countless other visual additions, thematic alterations, and story alterations that have been made to the source material. There are little changes he made, and there are large ones.

Can you elaborate? Where, specifically, does the movie suffer for this approach? Why is this not an appropriate approach to making a movie, especially if you do alter the material for cinema along the way?

It just strikes me as ridiculous to even remotely suggest that none of Snyder's personal vision is found in WATCHMEN.

Especially in the last 20-30 years, by any standard definition of the phrases, the Joker has been a modern terrorist with anarchistic elements. He's almost always been about causing chaos, tearing down authority and structure, etc. This is not a new element that Chris Nolan created, the Nolans simply used an existing character element very well. But when you think about it, while it's not used as well, even Tim Burton's BATMAN used similar elements over 20 years ago.

Batman comics have been using this element for YEARS, as far back as his first appearance, and it's even found in the 40's and 50's.

A bigger scope? In what sense? In terms of comparison to the comics, or to other Batman movies?

I never PMed you.... :huh:

. Joker is more than the white-faced psycho clown he's in the comics; he's a modern terrorist with a solid anarchist ideology.

As was said before this is not a new concept that Nolan created. In fact I think he created more chaos in Batman89 than in TDK but thats just me

As was said before this is not a new concept that Nolan created. In fact I think he created more chaos in Batman89 than in TDK but thats just me

Eh, Nicholson's Joker kinda seems lame now compared to the warped creation of Ledger and Nolan. The lack of perma-white is kinda new, and the scars creating the glasgow smile is relatively new as well. Nolan never claimed to be doing a 100% new take on the Joker, he even said he wanted to take the character back to it's roots from the first appearance and stories such as The Killing Joke. Joker, in a way, has always been about anarchy more than anything. I think the Nicholson/Burton Joker was far more campy and more along the lines of murderous trickster who was actually funny. The whole point of the Joker, IMO, is that he's not funny, and that the things he finds funny are only funny to him because he's insane but he thinks he has some great insight into the human condition and that the only way to deal with all the insanity of the world is to laugh it all off. Ledger's Joker was exactly that. Very much inspired by Alan Moore's take on him in The Killing Joke.

Back to the topic at hand, I feel like I may be too harsh on Watchmen as a film, and I hope the dvd cut is more satisfying, but admittedly, it's hard to just "be happy we at least got a film" when it's such an important and perfect work of LITERATURE we are dealing with. IMO, Watchmen is a perfect graphic novel, and The Dark Knight is a perfect film.

Bottom line, for me, Watchmen the film was a little underwhelming in terms of emotional and philosophical impact, whereas I needed to sit all the way through the credits of The Dark Knight because I was so blown away and emotionally overwhelmed by the entire film. I think the main difference between myself and Guard may be that Watchmen becoming a film was probably as important to him as The Dark Knight was for me. I confess, I only read Watchmen a few years ago, before the official film had been announced, but my interest level in re-reading it was raised due to the film version. However, The Dark Knight had a much more significant impact on my life as a filmmaker and a fan. I imagine Watchmen was just as important for some as The Dark Knight was for me, and I respect that.

Last edited:
If all you amateur filmmakers-

Okay, just, no, condescending little remarks like that aren't needed and do not add anything to a healthy debate. Let's not be immature. Anyway, on with it then -

What it means is that there are inherent differences in the way different mediums work. So if you're going adapt characters or stories from one medium to another, it's a reasonable responsibility to make sure that you stay faithful to the source material but make it work for the new medium. (I don't know how I can be any clearer. I assume you're reasonably competent/intelligent so I don't always understand why you need every little thing spelled out for you in order for you to comprehend it. ) For example, you can't have all the in-between texts from the book in a movie, it's just impossible to do that literally, obviously. Snyder accomplished the same effect with the brilliant titles sequence. That captured the essence from the book and also was just a good bit of filmmaking. That means the imagery, how it was shot, how it transitioned, and the music worked together to make it feel right. Points for Snyder.

Overall though, I thought it was an average film. Elements had good intentions, but the execution was lacking. The deconstructionist elements such as the cheesy exaggerated fight scenes etc. were too heavy-handed and obtrusive. I'm not one who just didn't get it, it didn't go over my head, I got it. I got it when I read the book too, but it didn't ever interfere with the tone of the story. The movie at times though seems to meander from idea to idea, struggling to find a tone. The pacing was also very off in parts, feeling rushed and choppy. I'm aware the Director's Cut should fix these problems, but for now, the film in theatres is the one WB and Snyder has chosen to release to the public as a finished product, so I shall judge it as such.

The Dark Knight's not perfect. There's a few parts where cuts or jumps to scenes are abrupt. But they weren't as glaring or numerous to me as in Watchmen.

Okay, just, no, condescending little remarks like that aren't needed and do not add anything to a healthy debate. Let's not be immature. Anyway, on with it then -

What it means is that there are inherent differences in the way different mediums work. So if you're going adapt characters or stories from one medium to another, it's a reasonable responsibility to make sure that you stay faithful to the source material but make it work for the new medium. (I don't know how I can be any clearer. I assume you're reasonably competent/intelligent so I don't always understand why you need every little thing spelled out for you in order for you to comprehend it. ) For example, you can't have all the in-between texts from the book in a movie, it's just impossible to do that literally, obviously. Snyder accomplished the same effect with the brilliant titles sequence. That captured the essence from the book and also was just a good bit of filmmaking. That means the imagery, how it was shot, how it transitioned, and the music worked together to make it feel right. Points for Snyder.

Overall though, I thought it was an average film. Elements had good intentions, but the execution was lacking. The deconstructionist elements such as the cheesy exaggerated fight scenes etc. were too heavy-handed and obtrusive. I'm not one who just didn't get it, it didn't go over my head, I got it. I got it when I read the book too, but it didn't ever interfere with the tone of the story. The movie at times though seems to meander from idea to idea, struggling to find a tone. The pacing was also very off in parts, feeling rushed and choppy. I'm aware the Director's Cut should fix these problems, but for now, the film in theatres is the one WB and Snyder has chosen to release to the public as a finished product, so I shall judge it as such.

The Dark Knight's not perfect. There's a few parts where cuts or jumps to scenes are abrupt. But they weren't as glaring or numerous to me as in Watchmen.

Q to the F to the T :up::up::up: Especially the first part. Snide, rude, condescending little remarks like that are uncalled for and show a lack of respect for the people you are debating with.

I never PMed you....

Must have been the other "I wash my hands of you" fellow. Apologies.

Eh, Nicholson's Joker kinda seems lame now compared to the warped creation of Ledger and Nolan. The lack of perma-white is kinda new, and the scars creating the glasgow smile is relatively new as well.

Relatively new, but it is not, in fact, actually new. Lee Bermejo designed that years ago, it's been seen in comic art, and Grant Morrison used it in a big way before Nolan and his crew did.

I'm really not interested in comparing the 1989 Joker and this one in terms of which one is "better". Ledger's Joker blows Nicholson's away on almost every level. My only point is...what Nolan's doing isn't new. Statements that it is...are essentially false.

Okay, just, no, condescending little remarks like that aren't needed and do not add anything to a healthy debate. Let's not be immature. Anyway, on with it then

How is that condescending or immature? I made no value judgement on "amateur filmmaker", I simply raised the point. Many here seem to be, or aspire to be. Are these people professional filmmakers?

And rude?

Sorry, not seeing it.

Yes, I understand what you mean. I believe Snyder and his crew did just that. Not perfectly, because there's no such thing as perfect in filmmaking, as it's all more or less subjective, but very, very well. Clearly he understood the difference between the book and film, even just in terms of the dialogue and images he kept in/took out. So my question is, "If he needed to make things work in the cinematic medium, what didn't work dramatically in the cinematic medium?"

Overall though, I thought it was an average film. Elements had good intentions, but the execution was lacking. The deconstructionist elements such as the cheesy exaggerated fight scenes etc. were too heavy-handed and obtrusive. I'm not one who just didn't get it, it didn't go over my head, I got it. I got it when I read the book too, but it didn't ever interfere with the tone of the story. The movie at times though seems to meander from idea to idea, struggling to find a tone.

So does the book. The book never had a consistent tone. Characters did, but from scene to scene, the tone changed and developed.

The pacing was also very off in parts, feeling rushed and choppy.

Short of the fire rescue sequence, and possibly Laurie and Sally, where?

Or are you just talking about the way the movie speeds up as it enters the third act?

Where do you feel the pacing was inappropriate for what was being portrayed and laid out?

Must have been the other "I wash my hands of you" fellow. Apologies.

Relatively new, but it is not, in fact, actually new. Lee Bermejo designed that years ago, it's been seen in comic art, and Grant Morrison used it in a big way before Nolan and his crew did.

I'm really not interested in comparing the 1989 Joker and this one in terms of which one is "better". Ledger's Joker blows Nicholson's away on almost every level. My only point is...what Nolan's doing isn't new. Statements that it is...are essentially false.

How is that condescending or immature? I made no value judgement on "amateur filmmaker", I simply raised the point. Many here seem to be, or aspire to be. Are these people professional filmmakers?

And rude?

Sorry, not seeing it.

Yes, I understand what you mean. I believe Snyder and his crew did just that. Not perfectly, because there's no such thing as perfect in filmmaking, as it's all more or less subjective, but very, very well. Clearly he understood the difference between the book and film, even just in terms of the dialogue and images he kept in/took out. So my question is, "If he needed to make things work in the cinematic medium, what didn't work dramatically in the cinematic medium?"

So does the book. The book never had a consistent tone. Characters did, but from scene to scene, the tone changed and developed.

Or are you just talking about the way the movie speeds up as it enters the third act?

Where do you feel the pacing was inappropriate for what was being portrayed and laid out?

There's a difference between a PM and a reply to a topic. Secondly, I never said "I wash my hands of you" I said "I wash my hands of this thread" and I also never said anything to the effect of "ridiculous lawyer". Not only did you misquote me, but you continue to use condescending language when you quote not only myself but others as well. Your statement about "amateur filmmakers" may not have sounded condescending or rude in your head, but it's a title that filmmakers take high offense at. There's no such thing as amateur filmmakers, just filmmakers. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Like I said earlier, clearly Watchmen as a graphic novel and as a film is a far more important thing to you than to me. I get it. It's not enjoyable when someone tries to tear down something you love and/or care about. I get the same way when people tried to tear down The Dark Knight because they didn't think it was worthy of a Best Picture, Director, or Adapted Screenplay nomination. That's why I asked you to drop it, because both of us have way too much personal investment in either film/property to see things objectively or avoid taking offense when someone else doesn't see things the way we see them.

So my question is, "If he needed to make things work in the cinematic medium, what didn't work dramatically in the cinematic medium?"

I answered this. In my opinion, the tone and the pacing. You do not agree. I'm not going to RE-answer.

Where do you feel the pacing was inappropriate for what was being portrayed and laid out

Not specific scenes, but how the scenes flowed together. I believe after the Comedian funeral flashbacks that's when the pacing gets kinda clunky. You could feel the scenes that were missing. Not because I knew they were in the book, but because the characters and plot points weren't being fleshed out as much.

And rude?

Sorry, not seeing it.

I read that as presumptious because I didn't even know of anyone here actually being or aspiring to befilmmakers at all, and it sounded like you were trying to call people with opinions you don't agree with airheaded windbags who try to talk about film but don't know a damn thing. Look at it this way: You're talking to someone about baseball. You like a team or player the other person don't. The other person says "Psh, this little leauger actually thinks that?". Sounds condescending and rudely dismissive.

There's a difference between a PM and a reply to a topic. Secondly, I never said "I wash my hands of you" I said "I wash my hands of this thread" and I also never said anything to the effect of "ridiculous lawyer".

You've already established you were not the person who sent me the PM.

Not only did you misquote me, but you continue to use condescending language when you quote not only myself but others as well. Your statement about "amateur filmmakers" may not have sounded condescending or rude in your head, but it's a title that filmmakers take high offense at. There's no such thing as amateur filmmakers, just filmmakers. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

According to the dictionary and wikipedia, and any filmmaking society I've ever seen, there is such thing as an amateur filmmaker. It's a filmmaker who is not a professional.

There's no such thing as there being no such thing as an amateur filmmaker. :).

Like I said earlier, clearly Watchmen as a graphic novel and as a film is a far more important thing to you than to me. I get it. It's not enjoyable when someone tries to tear down something you love and/or care about. I get the same way when people tried to tear down The Dark Knight because they didn't think it was worthy of a Best Picture, Director, or Adapted Screenplay nomination.

That's why I asked you to drop it, because both of us have way too much personal investment in either film/property to see things objectively or avoid taking offense when someone else doesn't see things the way we see them.

It's not nearly that simple. Yes, WATCHMEN means a lot to me, as does the film version, but I am completely capable of objectively viewing a film. What I am not capable of doing is accepting "because I said so" as a valid backup to one's point. And this isn't aimed at you, it's just a general trend on these boards, and has been, for some time. It's quite easy for someone to say "The tone is wrong" or "the pacing sucks". It's quite another to be able to back that up, and to do so in context. It's gotten to the point here where, unless you request further information, people simply say something that amounts to "That's wrong". They can't or won't tell you why, or what they would have done differently. That makes for a stagnant, boring debate, where no one learns anything, and no real discussion takes place. I am no longer interested in opinions, period. I am interested in the thought processes behind them.

I'm not going to drop a discussion point I enjoy. You can choose not to participate in the discussion if you don't want to.

Not specific scenes, but how the scenes flowed together. I believe after the Comedian funeral flashbacks that's when the pacing gets kinda clunky. You could feel the scenes that were missing. Not because I knew they were in the book, but because the characters and plot points weren't being fleshed out as much.

Fleshed out in terms of the screentime being devoted to their character arcs, or fleshed out at all?

I read that as presumptious because I didn't even know of anyone here actually being or aspiring to befilmmakers at all, and it sounded like you were trying to call people with opinions you don't agree with airheaded windbags who try to talk about film but don't know a damn thing. Look at it this way: You're talking to someone about baseball. You like a team or player the other person don't. The other person says "Psh, this little leauger actually thinks that?". Sounds condescending and rudely dismissive.

What it sounded like should pale before what it actually is on paper. Read it in terms of what it means in the English language. I don't tend to insult people, on any level. I say what I mean, and I generally mean what I say. It's reading things into what people say here that causes people to completely misinterpret statements.

And I didn't say "little leaguer. I said "amateur filmmaker". As in, a filmmaker who is not professional or professionally trained. If anyone here is a professional filmmaker, hey, they can feel free to correct me. But there is a world of difference in intent between amateur filmmaker and "little leaguer".

Fleshed out in terms of their character arcs.

And I understand you say you did not intend to insult anyone, you have estblished that. I was just making a comparison to how it sounded. I did and still do fail to understand the relevance of stating an assumption that people here are amateur filmmakers. Whether it was meant to be derisive or not, I don't get why it was mentioned either way as it added little to nothing to the conversation at hand. So the inference was that you were mentioning it to imply that their opinions are lesser because they are only "amateur" filmmakers. Strikes as a rather arbitrary stated presumption if it was not meant to be derisive. Sorry for misinterpreting.

You've already established you were not the person who sent me the PM.

According to the dictionary and wikipedia, and any filmmaking society I've ever seen, there is such thing as an amateur filmmaker. It's a filmmaker who is not a professional.

There's no such thing as there being no such thing as an amateur filmmaker. :).

It's not nearly that simple. Yes, WATCHMEN means a lot to me, as does the film version, but I am completely capable of objectively viewing a film. What I am not capable of doing is accepting "because I said so" as a valid backup to one's point. And this isn't aimed at you, it's just a general trend on these boards, and has been, for some time. It's quite easy for someone to say "The tone is wrong" or "the pacing sucks". It's quite another to be able to back that up, and to do so in context. It's gotten to the point here where, unless you request further information, people simply say something that amounts to "That's wrong". They can't or won't tell you why, or what they would have done differently. That makes for a stagnant, boring debate, where no one learns anything, and no real discussion takes place. I am no longer interested in opinions, period. I am interested in the thought processes behind them.

I'm not going to drop a discussion point I enjoy. You can choose not to participate in the discussion if you don't want to.

Fleshed out in terms of the screentime being devoted to their character arcs, or fleshed out at all?

What it sounded like should pale before what it actually is on paper. Read it in terms of what it means in the English language. I don't tend to insult people, on any level. I say what I mean, and I generally mean what I say. It's reading things into what people say here that causes people to completely misinterpret statements.

And I didn't say "little leaguer. I said "amateur filmmaker". As in, a filmmaker who is not professional or professionally trained. If anyone here is a professional filmmaker, hey, they can feel free to correct me. But there is a world of difference in intent between amateur filmmaker and "little leaguer".

Now this is the kind of post I've been looking for. I feel like You have gotten a lot of insight into the rest of us, but this post gave me a small glimpse at what makes you tick. One thing I am very much interested in is your story about what Watchmen means to you. Clearly it is very important to you and you have a lot of personal investment in the porperty, so I am always fascinated to hear stories such as yours. I think one direction I would like to see this thread go in is maybe getting back to a more civilized debate and I'd like to hear from the more avid supporters of each film what exactly the film/property of Watchmen/The Dark Knight (or Batman in general) means to them. It would give us all a little more insight into where everyone is coming from and thus help to make their opinions more understandable and such.

Quick sidenote, though not intended to be negative or anything. I myself am not an "amateur" filmmaker, as I have had professional training, education, and have two professionally made short films and 15 screenplays (one being pitched this weekend in fact) to my credit. Thus, I am by your definition, a professional filmmaker. Just wanted to clear that up real quick.

Also, aspiring filmmakers do prefer the term "aspiring" or "future" rather than "amateur". In the arts, specifically in dramatic mediums such as film, television, theatre, music, or radio, the word "amateur" often has much more of a negative connotation than a neutral or positive one. I know now that you didn't mean anything by it, but just in the future it would be better to use the word "aspiring" or "future" rather than "amateur". It avoids misinterpretation and confusion on the internet, where voice inflection is not around to clarify things. :yay:

I would love to tell my story about wat The Dark Knight (and Batman in general) means to me, but I've told that story so many times, I'd love to hear a similar story form you about what Watchmen means to you. :yay:

My WATCHMEN story?

WATCHMEN is what got me into comics and mythology after I left those things behind and turned to learning about law, justice, and criminality. I read it when I was 12, saw what comics could be beyond costumes and powers and world domination scenarios without losing those elements, and began to discover this in other modern titles. WATCHMEN effectively showed me what characters could be, and that characters didn't have to fit into boxes created and reinforced by the mainstream. This inspired me to begin writing, in general, and also illuminated the idea that morality, indeed, hardly any situation one can encounter, is rarely black and white. This led to me studying psychology and sociology, and learning a great deal more about people than I ever cared to. But really, in terms of how I feel about it as a story, it's just a brilliant concept with a lot of incredible elements. It's not overtly brilliant, it's brilliant in it's simplicities, in it's slight and subtle deviations from the norm. That's about the long and short of it.

What short films have you done?

Likewise, however I doubt many others will do the same.
I personally believe that more people were awaiting this to arrive on DVD. This is one of those movies that's going to do better on DVD than it did in theatres, I guarentee you.

Don't most movies?
I'm not exactly sure, to be honest. I'm just trying to shed some light on this film, because any film above par(in my opinion) should earn well over their moneys worth. It really depresses me how movies like 'Paul Blart' can come along,make a few jokes and immediately make it's $130M+ back.

I've always been under the impression that most movies make a whole lot more than what they make in theatres once they hit DVD, unless they're just absolute box office juggernauts.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-04-21-master-movies_x.htm

It's annoying that dumb movies make money while smarter ones sometimes fail, but it's nothing new. As far as I'm concerned, a movie like WATCHMEN being made is a triumph, even if it wasn't embraced by the public.

The extended Watchmen movie will not be six hours, most likely four or four and a half hours.

But I gotta say...if the extended version is even twice as better as the theatrical cut, than it just might very well beat The Dark Knight.

But the question is...who would win if Rorschach fought Batman?

Smart does not always equal good...There's some movies out there that are completely ****ing stupid by any man's measure, and I enjoyed them tremendously. Any stories objective is to entertain, first and foremost, if it happens to make you think that's only a very good bonus and elevates the piece to another level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"