Iron Man 2 The Official Whiplash Thread

Maybe Rockwell would play a younger Justin Hammer in the flashback with Tim Robbins as Howard Stark?

Yeah that's what I am thinking... sort of like the Zack Synder school of thought... not that Synder introduced a groundbreaking principle with Watchmen... in that you cast someone in the mid range so that you do not need different actors for flashbacks and what not. Rockwell can easily be greyed to look older for the present day. I like the concept of using him as a rival to Tony Stark from college onward though... I mean that isn't a terrible line of thought. Not everything has to be 616 to a "T"....

Last edited:
Awesome news!

Iron Man 2 really needed another heavyweight actor to take on the villain role, for this film to truly live up to the first part. Though overshadowed by Heath Ledger's legendary interpretation of The Joker, Jeff Bridges did a great job as Obidiah Stane in Iron Man, and so it was important to me that the filmmakers kept the standard similarly high for the sequel.

And they go and bring in Mickey F'n Rourke! A worthy successor to Jeff Bridges indeed! Not only that, but I think it creates an interesting dynamic with Robert Downey Jr, both being Comeback Kings. Of course, Sam Rockwell is no slouch either. A very underrated, talented actor.

One question, though. I'm not too familiar with the comics world of Iron Man. Is Crimson Dynamo in danger of coming across as too similar to Iron Monger? Or is there enough difference between them for each to stand on their own merits?

Yes and no, Dyanmo wasnt' as big as IM was, at least not the first few CD armors. And most of his attacks are electricity based (hence him being a dynamo) while IM had gattling guns and missles. And i'm sure they'll paint CD red.

Another thing that gets me excited is the thought of Iron Man at full power fighting another armored foe.

The last one, the end fight was a real let down for me, it was pretty much Tony getting his ass kicked until Pepper overloaded the reactor.

He is playing the Crimson Dynamo though isn't he?
We don't know if it's Dynamo or Whiplash. The trades are disputing the role Rourke is playing.

Don't know why people are talking about Omega Red, though :huh:

^ they read about it in the same trades you mention

So Sam Rockwell is the first of the major players between the first 2 movies to have not at least been nominated for an Academy Award. Way to bring down the cast Favs! :down

:oldrazz:

Great additions! :yay:

The trades don't mention Omega Red, though. Variety claims he is playing Crimson Dynamo, a guy in a nuclear-powered suit, while THR claims he is playing Whiplash, a guy with technologically enhanced coils.

I also don't know why they didn't mention the trade dispute on the article on the front page :huh:

We don't know if it's Dynamo or Whiplash. The trades are disputing the role Rourke is playing.

I was under the impression it was going to be an amalgam of both, Dynamo with electrical whips to not make him too similar to Monger.

Omega Red vs Iron Man on screen would be awesome.

Too bad it'll never happen.

I was under the impression it was going to be an amalgam of both, Dynamo with electrical whips to not make him too similar to Monger.
It could end up being that, but we don't know. The two trades are each claiming he is playing a different villain.

Personally I'm with the camp that says to make Rourke a combination of both Dynamo and Whiplash.

Give him his electric whip(there have been changes to whiplash over time much like any character, for people who don't know the comics that well. At one point he had a regular whip, then electric with handle, then there was a more Omega Red like version) and at some point have Rourke and Rockwell(if he is playing Hammer) decide they need something more to stop Iron Man so enter the Dynamo suit.

Not exactly like that but you get the idea.

It could be that Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo are both in the film, and the trades screwed it up... Maybe Rockwell is Whiplash.

I really don't want to se a Crimson Dynamo tweaked to resemble Whiplash.

It could be that Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo are both in the film, and the trades screwed it up... Maybe Rockwell is Whiplash.

Have you read the comics?

Crimson Dynamo is just a suit like Iron Man...but with a Russian guy/dude in it.

They could easily go this route and as a big fan I wouldn't be pissed in the slightest. Of all the comics I've read Whiplash was never that deep of an enemy to begin with anyways.

i am afraid that they casted Rourke for the cliche villain . the guy is capable at doing somethign grounbreaking.
That's who most of Iron Man's villains are. Doesn't mean his character is going to be written that way for the film.

Anyone competent in identifying a performance would be the first to admit that Bridges as Stane was not exactly his best work... again you don't go into these movies expecting someone's best acting performances. I am sure the performance will be solid enough... for entertainment purposes.

Anyone competent in identifying a performance would be the first to admit that Bridges as Stane was not exactly his best work... again you don't go into these movies expecting someone's best acting performances. I am sure the performance will be solid enough... for entertainment purposes.
True, but it's hard to top The Dude :oldrazz:

Crimson Dynamo is just a suit like Iron Man...but with a Russian guy/dude in it.

They could easily go this route and as a big fan I wouldn't be pissed in the slightest. Of all the comics I've read Whiplash was never that deep of an enemy to begin with anyways.

I agree and it just might add a lil more Flava to CD.

Their characters sound a tad dull if I'm being honest (yet another battle of normal men in suits?), but I like Rourke and Rockwell enough to be more interested now than I was.

Last edited:

Rockwell is Justin Hammer

So the hottest name of the award season goes up against the man who was born to play Tony Stark. This should prove interesting.

And we also have Tim Robbins and Don Cheadle on board. Favreau sure isn't pulling any punches. Lovin' it!

Yes... I have always thought that Whiplash / Blacklash is a lame villain. A whip (no matter how hi-tech) v. IM is bogus. Crymson Dynamo ought to be Hammer's attempt to top IM (or he has the Russian inventor on the payroll)... that may seem like a rip off of the plot that Stane had, but the difference would be that Dynamo is more agile and less hulking than Ironmonger (setting up the possiblilties a some kick-ass ariel battles) and is piloted by a real pilot (a cold-war era Soviet badass), instead of the inventor himself (as with IM). So Tony would actually be outmatched at first because Dynamo is a superior fighter, but Stark still has a better mouse-trap and is better at using it...

Making Dynamo use whips would sorely disappoint me (unless they are just an add on to a more complete armor... used for close-quarters, melee scenarios... that would be OK).

Last edited:
Yes... I have always thought that Whiplash / Blacklash is a lame villain. A whip (no matter how hi-tech) v. IM is bogus. Crymson Dynamo ought to be Hammer's attempt to top IM... that may seem like a rip off of of the plot that Stane had, but the difference could be that Dynamo is more agile and less hulking than Ironmonger (setting up the possiblilties a some kick-ass ariel battles) and is piloted by a real pilot, instead of the inventor himself (as with IM). So Tony could actually be outmatched at first because Dynamo is a superior fighter, but Stark still has a better mouse-trap and is better at using it...

Making Dynamo use whips would sorely disappoint me (unless they are just an add on to a more complete armor... used for close-quarters, mele scenarios... that would be OK).

Oh ok, now I see what your saying.

What I meant was that at first Rourke would be Whiplash from the comics and whatnot. Then as I said before, after him and Hammer realize they need something stronger/better to stop Iron Man Whiplash(Rourke)gets in the CD suit.

The thing I didn't realize from your previous post is that you thought I was saying to include the whips in CD's design.

I guess were on the same page somewhat, when I said it wouldn't be a bad idea to combine the characters I didn't mean give CD Whiplash's whip/s later on. Just that the man inside controlling CD would be Whiplash instead of the creator(Anton Vanko) or the other Russians who have worn it over the years.

If Rourke is in it, I would kind of hope him to be Crimson Dynamo.

But weren't cold war Russian type of characters and villains dated? Isn't that why Emil Blonsky was made into British military in TIH?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"