the only thing im really worried about with this movie...

I think its more of when people watch it, and only the movie, you got your butt in gear to read it before watching, that takes some effort... more or less its the people that are going to think they know everything about the watchmen because they have watched (and only watched) the movie. If people who watch it arent going to bother at least reading it and then preach how epicly leet they are in knowledge of the watchmen then yes they are the posers (and it will happen)
If the movie inspires people to read it then i dont think thats posing either, its like when you hear about something in a game of telephone, makes you wonder and ask what really was the original.
If they dont bother to ask the questions and look for themselves and then annoy the people that HAVE read it, then they are posers
People who profess to know a lot about a book by only watching a movie based on a book are an easily ignored minority. People who've watched the movie 10 times and say they know the movie back and forth... well, good for them.

its when they mistake the movie for the whole story that is annoying... True you can only fit so much into movie length but its the little pieces left out that lessens the epic.
However
If they made a movie 100% true to any original story line Id totally watch it no matter how long it was... things like akria would make WAAAAAAAY more sense if they put more in movie (6 volumes vs hour and a half)

though i think i need to read the watchmen again, its been long enough, that and Rorschach is a cynical bastard and one of my personal heros...

My bro's Girlfriend was misquoting the movie trailer, she hates me now because I called her a foul best and told her not to ruin the awesome

its when they mistake the movie for the whole story that is annoying... True you can only fit so much into movie length but its the little pieces left out that lessens the epic.
However
If they made a movie 100% true to any original story line Id totally watch it no matter how long it was... things like akria would make WAAAAAAAY more sense if they put more in movie (6 volumes vs hour and a half)

though i think i need to read the watchmen again, its been long enough, that and Rorschach is a cynical bastard and one of my personal heros...

My bro's Girlfriend was misquoting the movie trailer, she hates me now because I called her a foul best and told her not to ruin the awesome
You're my new hero

wow, i am totally with you. I HATE poser fans. there all over my school saying "oh man batman is amazing". **** you. you have no idea haha. sorry i had to get that off my chest

I don't care if its elitist and childish. It's my freaking characters and its my book! I don't think it'll be as bad as Batman though. Basically every one I know has had their facebook status set as a some sort of TDK quote at least once when for years I've been mocked for my love of comics/Batman.

And yes, fine, "boo hoo", whatever. The hipocrispy gets to me.

I don't care if its elitist and childish. It's my freaking characters and its my book! I don't think it'll be as bad as Batman though. Basically every one I know has had their facebook status set as a some sort of TDK quote at least once when for years I've been mocked for my love of comics/Batman.

It's always a lose lose situation being of our ilk.

exactly!

hey did anyone notice that the very beginning of the watchmen trailer, that the music sounded more like golden eye music?
or do I play golden eye waaaay to much?

I think its more of when people watch it, and only the movie, you got your butt in gear to read it before watching, that takes some effort... more or less its the people that are going to think they know everything about the watchmen because they have watched (and only watched) the movie. If people who watch it arent going to bother at least reading it and then preach how epicly leet they are in knowledge of the watchmen then yes they are the posers (and it will happen)
If the movie inspires people to read it then i dont think thats posing either, its like when you hear about something in a game of telephone, makes you wonder and ask what really was the original.
If they dont bother to ask the questions and look for themselves and then annoy the people that HAVE read it, then they are posers
Exactly.
Cause if you'd call someone who read the book simply to see what the movie will be about a poser, then I became a poser about two months ago.

I gotta say, I really don't think that'll be that big of a deal. And either way, if they feel like it makes them cool to like Watchmen, why is that a bad thing? :woot:

If they're clearly being posers, I think there are enough of us true fans to tell it to them straight.

watchmen t-shirts,watches,halloween costumes,condoms,pens a tv series would be nice,tattoos etc..expect it all and be surprised by none of it.

Spinoffs! Watchmen Origins: Veidt. I'd have fun with that.

MAKE IT HAPPEN ROTHMAN!

i just got my own copy to reread it its been so long... bros gf still trying to ruin the awesome tho..... i know she may love rorschach but for the love of god, damn you woman i do not want to associate rorschach with a extremely fat(and looks like a cats ass) chick! nothing against the heavy set women just jesus drop the 5 minute reminders about how you like him...

is that after it comes out, there's going to be all these poser 'watchmen fans' and everyones going to be all like "oh ya, watchmen kicks ass". Its going to get completely commercialized. It's just like now everyone is an iron man fan, and everyones a batman fan. But even with those, people who don't read comics knew who those characters were. But watchmen has always completely belonged to the hardcore comic fans (i was going to call us something else, but i don't want to piss people off). Is anybody else worried about this?
Isn't that the point?

well the point of them making movies is that they are so dependent on popping a new one out each year making it bigger and better then the previous works (and charging astronomical amounts of money for s*it you'd never watch again) that they have run out of ideas..
I mean if they really had wanted to keep true and stuff like that, they would have not only waited until Alan Moore was fine with the idea, but they would have asked for imput from him as well.

I am afraid that they have taken so much content out they people may get lost as to the context of certain things, if they have the rape scene in then critics are gonna have a good bbq (when lord of the rings came out, my god the toronto star's Geoff peevere couldnt stop talking about flaming vagina lips until the two towers then he just called it a sausage fest -obviously hes never actually read the books or is just confused about his own sexuality)

the point is that some people didnt even want them to make this a movie (obvious reasons) and now the watchmen fans are having to suffer because some *****ebag out there is going to be an idiot and blame the watchmen for whatever stupid stunt hes gonna pull. maybe some flack from feminists and maybe from the Christians etc...
most of these people may get into the watchmen, but it may get burned from the people who wont bother to actually read it before they start the witch hunt

I mean if they really had wanted to keep true and stuff like that, they would have not only waited until Alan Moore was fine with the idea, but they would have asked for imput from him as well.
I was under the impression Alan Moore was against comics being made into movies based purely on principle, not accuracy. His input would consist of "don't make it," wouldn't it?

I completely agree with OP. Everybody is gonna know watchmen definitively as the movie. That annoys the crap out of me. The same thing happened with 300, when all the annoying jock kids were talking like experts about a story I had read from Frank Miller years before. It's equally annoying when you see a little teeny bopper on facebook putting up a status that says something like "you know how i got these scars?" or talking to a young kid who liked dark knight, but is under the impression that "heath ledger was crazy" and "he thought he wasthe joker because he was taking so many pills." Or almost as bad was when people were like "Yo dude, did you see the trailer for Iron Man at the superbowl last night? It was pretty chill. It's about a robot, which is ***gy."

I know you guys think I'm being a pr!ck, and I understand that. (I hate hearing hipster people complaining about music becoming "mainstream") But on July 18th, Watchmen became a household phrase, and it lost a little bit of it's charm. We can only hope that the movie will be a pristine representation of the book.

he is against it being made into movie... I wouldnt blame him, half the fun is reading it and being able to form the story in your head, making it that little bit your own. but thats true for any story.
they could have respected his wishes but they didnt, the least they could have done was gotten some form of approval from him but no.

I'm glad it's getting more attention and more people are reading the book but the fact that Hot Topic is going to be selling Rorschach masks and fedoras kind of bothers me(it's inevitable). It bothered me when they were selling Joker t-shirts and wrist bands but that's just me. The Rorschach mask will become the new Guy Fawkes mask in the sense that everybody will think they're "cool" and "original" by dressing up as Rorschach for Halloween. Also people will misinterpret the character of Rorschach if they don't read the book. They're just going to say he's a H4RDC0R3 Vigilante!!!11!one. I'm glad that I don't have a Facebook or Myspace because I know seeing everybody's new "I did it 35 minutes ago." quote will really make me mad. All in all we have to accept the bad with the good and hope it turns out as best as can be expected.

No offense Original Poster, but I'm starting to disagree with you more and more.

I'm glad it's getting more attention and more people are reading the book but the fact that Hot Topic is going to be selling Rorschach masks and fedoras kind of bothers me(it's inevitable). It bothered me when they were selling Joker t-shirts and wrist bands but that's just me. The Rorschach mask will become the new Guy Fawkes mask in the sense that everybody will think they're "cool" and "original" by dressing up as Rorschach for Halloween. Also people will misinterpret the character of Rorschach if they don't read the book. They're just going to say he's a H4RDC0R3 Vigilante!!!11!one. I'm glad that I don't have a Facebook or Myspace because I know seeing everybody's new "I did it 35 minutes ago." quote will really make me mad. All in all we have to accept the bad with the good and hope it turns out as best as can be expected.
qft

People who don't want things they like to gain popularity are just pretentious.
I get what you're saying, but I don't know that it's what OP was getting at. I'm sure he's fine with it getting popularity, but the obnoxious teeny bopper following that a lot of these types of movies get will be a pain in the ass. You know, the type of audience that started acting experts on the Beatles when that wretched Across the Universe movie came out, or started acting like Batman experts when Dark Knight came out. (It's gonna be there when The Spirit comes out if the Spirit breaks out enough.) The difference is that Dark Knight was a solid enough film to transcend that. I guess we can just hope Watchmen does the same.

I get what you're saying, but I don't know that it's what OP was getting at. I'm sure he's fine with it getting popularity, but the obnoxious teeny bopper following that a lot of these types of movies get will be a pain in the ass. You know, the type of audience that started acting experts on the Beatles when that wretched Across the Universe movie came out, or started acting like Batman experts when Dark Knight came out. (It's gonna be there when The Spirit comes out if the Spirit breaks out enough.) The difference is that Dark Knight was a solid enough film to transcend that. I guess we can just hope Watchmen does the same.

It's this simple:

There will be idiots that will see this movie and think they know everything about it. Let them. Because when you try to have a conversation about the film and the book, they won't have a clue. And that's what it comes down to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"