The Original Trilogy General Discussion Thread.

For fans of the original trilogy....Peter Mayhew and Jeremy Bulloch will be some of the guests at the Lexington ComicCon http://lexingtoncomiccon.com/

[YT]/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY[/YT]

Really interested in watching this now.

Star wars fans are crazy and I mean that as a compliment. The amount of work and dedication they pour into these projects to preserve the original cuts is staggering.

va0GzAS.gif

Due to my excitement for Battlefront and The Force Awakens I decided to pop in my bonus features from the 2004 trilogy DVD set to watch 'Empire of Dreams', the making of the Star Wars Trilogy. I've seen it before, but it's still very much worth watching.

Which version of the OT is cannon since Disney owns SW? Is it the ones from "Star Wars: The Complete Saga" Blu-ray set?

Last edited:
Is it possible to get a DVD or Blu-ray without Darth Vader saying "NOOOO" before throwing Palpatine to his death? I don't mind a lot of the changes, but I do not like that one.

Is it possible to get a DVD or Blu-ray without Darth Vader saying "NOOOO" before throwing Palpatine to his death? I don't mind a lot of the changes, but I do not like that one.

As far as I know that's only on the blu-ray release. One of the reasons I'm not getting the blu-rays until they finally put out the theatrical cuts.

Something interesting from a recent Gareth Edwards interview on Rogue One.
http://lwlies.com/interviews/gareth-edwards-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

On day one, we were in Lucasfilm in San Francisco with Industrial Light and Magic and John Knoll, our supervisor, he said that they’ve got a brand new 4K restoration print of A New Hope – it had literally just been finished.

No information on which version it is but I thought it was worth posting.

I'm guessing it's the 2011 version that's on the Blu-ray. IMO if they released the original theatrical version on 4K which means you'd need to purchase a 4K Blu-ray player as well as a 4K TV in order to watch it, it would also be a giant "f*** you" to the fans.

The Playlist:
Kevin Jagernauth said:
Fox still has the distribution rights, and next year is the 40th anniversary of “Star Wars.” It’s entirely possible that Fox releases the original next year, and brings it to home video too — they don’t need any cooperation from Disney, and it would be a huge hit. That said, they’ll likely still get in touch with the mouse house to figure out how to best maximize the opportunity, especially with “Star Wars: Episode VIII” on the horizon. (Imagine if the first teaser for the ‘VIII’ came in front of the re-release of ‘A New Hope’? That would be something).

CELEBRATING ROCKY’S 40TH, PLUS DEAD OR ALIVE, DOCTOR STRANGE, ROGUE ONE & STAR WARS IN 4K?
Bill Hunt said:
Speaking of Star Wars, this is a very interesting (and completely unsurprising) revelation: The Little White Lies website has a new interview with director Gareth Edwards in which he reveals that Lucasfilm has a brand new 4K restoration of A New Hope. It’s not clear if this is the original 1977 version or some version of the Special Edition, but in order to even be able to create a 4K Special Edition, you’d have to first scan all the original negative in 4K. And Disney is not the kind of studio that takes a chance of losing their most valuable film assets. So we would bet a lot of money they have an original version in 4K, and probably Empire and Jedi too. When we might see them is a different question. Meanwhile, give the piece a look.

Those are gorgeous!:ilv:

Anyone think A New Hope will be re-released for the 40th anniversary?

I know I'm slow in the take up on this but recently got the blu-ray 2011 set and the original trilogy look spectacular on it, not keen on the changes frankly in presenting the 1997 special editions and some day hope the originally released trilogy come onto blu ray but as a 'put me on' till the ultimate 1-9 films box set in a few years comes out, it'll put me on.

Do any of the books, comics or general behind the scenes information in the new continuity reveal whether Artoo ever told Luke or Leia anything about Anakin & Padmé?

Or whether Artoo knew Vader was Anakin or what Anakin was actually doing on Mustafar - I cannot recall whether any of the droids witness the confrontation between Obi-Wan, Padmé and Anakin?

Or why Kenobi & the Lars didn't give Luke a different surname?

Would it be possible to minimize the use of Yoda in the poster/box art of the movies so that it is, for new viewers, more of a surprise that he is the Jedi Master in TESB? Or has that ship already sailed?

Would it be possible to minimize the use of Yoda in the poster/box art of the movies so that it is, for new viewers, more of a surprise that he is the Jedi Master in TESB? Or has that ship already sailed?
Sailed, sunk, re-floated, fixed, sailed again, and again, and again...finally decommissioned, retired, and currently waiting to be scraped at the Brooklyn Naval Yard.

RIP David Prowse.

3J49rGi.jpeg

Prowse with Guiness prepping for the duel between Ben and Vader, 1976.

BduboAp.png

On Star Wars set.

f9k2Vcq.jpeg

Star Wars cast out of costumes : Harrison Ford (Han Solo), David Prowse (Darth Vader), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia), Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) and Kenny Baker (R2-D2). cca 1977 - colorized by jecinci

yvHiM1E.jpeg

Ford and Prowse on the set of Empire, 1980.

cBnpKXm.jpg

EOXp3vQ.jpeg

RIP to Dave Prowse.
I met him around 30 years ago. I took the CLOCKWORK ORANGE soundtrack to be signed because I had read he was very proud of the movie. As I stood in a very long line to get his autograph I heard a bunch of the people pretty much say and ask the same few questions about STAR WARS. He would give a polite answer and they would move on. When it was my turn, I handed him the album and asked what it was like working with Kubrick. A big grin came to his face, he leaned back in his chair and put his arms behind his head and said "Ahhhh....let me tell you about Stanley." He then talked to me for about 20 minutes telling me several stories about Kubrick until an assistant reminded him he needed to let the line move again.
RIP Mr. Prowse....you were a gentleman.

The original is still the best, also think rotj is a little underated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"