The Prequel Trilogy General Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Episode 2 is not only the worst Star Wars film by quite a bit, it's also one of the worst films I've ever seen. I have literally nothing good to say about that film.

AOTC is a flawed film, but much more re-watchable to me than TPM. The Jango bits are good, it has Dooku and that overall mystery surrounding him. Not to mention the arena fight and the beginning of the Clone Wars at the end. Across the Stars is also one of the best themes in the franchise.

TPM has no redeeming qualities besides Maul - not worth to put it on for 10 mins just for that duel.

George Lucas' Ex-Wife Cried After Watching Star Wars Episode 1 Because She Didn't Like It

George is, in his heart and soul, a good guy and a talented filmmaker. I wish he would’ve kept directing [other kinds of] movies. But when I went to see Episode I—I had a friend who worked at ILM, who took me as a guest to a preview—I remember going out to the parking lot, sitting in my car and crying. I cried."

The decorated film editor, known for working on the likes of Taxi Driver and Star Wars' original trilogy, " didn't think it was very good :"

"I cried because I didn’t think it was very good. And I thought he had such a rich vein to mine, a rich palette to tell stories with. He had all those characters."

Lucas then voiced her frustration with a facet of The Phantom Menace that many fans still have a problem with to this day - the fact that Anakin Skywalker " looked like he was six years old ," and the character of Padme, who Anakin later marries, " looked like she was twenty years old :"

"And I thought it was weird that the story was about this little boy who looked like he was six years old, but then later on he’s supposed to get with this princess who looked like she was twenty years old."

A terrific short film about the one of the two boys who lost out playing Anakin for TPM to Jake Lloyd. It's interesting, sad, but also hopeful.

A terrific short film about the one of the two boys who lost out playing Anakin for TPM to Jake Lloyd. It's interesting, sad, but also hopeful.

Definitely checking that out when I have a chance because even though I do feel sorry for Jake Lloyd, I still remember seeing that kid's audition in the TPM doc on the DVD and going "HE should have played Anakin."

Yeah, technically he gave the best audition. I get why Lucas cast Lloyd given his naturalism, but it wasn't Lloyd's fault Lucas is a bad director of actors. It's just another example of a good idea with poor execution in the story of the prequels. I do think Lloyd could have played the Anakin Lucas imagined under a better director.

I even wonder what would have happened if this kid was cast and directed by Lucas. The English actors did a better job with the prequels than the American ones with the bad dialogue. With a kid, I'm skeptical he would have fared much better than Lloyd. I think at best, maybe he would have been more wooden like Portman in TPM. But who knows? He has a way about him where maybe charisma could have broken through.

Last edited:
I feel worse for the third kid. How did he even get there? He was completely stiff.

But yes, Lloyd was the most natural and with a Spielberg-kind of director who’s great with natural kids he probably would’ve given a great performance.

Wow that was surprisingly impactful, thanks for sharing. It never even occurred to me what it must've been like to be the kid that ALMOST got the opportunity of a lifetime.

It's very moving. I got a lump my throat when it cut back to him at the end as a boy saying he wouldn't always be.

I kind of wish that Oldman had worked out. Grievous's voice has grown on me but the over the top Eastern European accent is still bizarre. I still really like the original voice that was used in his very first appearance in Tartakovsky's Clone Wars.

I feel like this was fairly well-known at the time. I remember hearing about this when the movie came out.

It was heavily rumored, but I always thought it was fake news since nothing official ever came from it.

Pretty sure reputable sources reported on it and it was more than just fake news and rumor.

He was definitely cast before everything fell through because of union rules. I remember it happening at the time too because I was disappointed when he left the film.

I guess Disney was worried that they had no Marvel movie coming out in May so they went with this. Kinda funny that this is now the second major theatrical rerelease for The Phantom Menace while Revenge of the Sith, arguably the most liked of the prequels hasn't had anything yet.

Last edited:
Never mind the fact he's not on the poster image wise, they've not even put the name of the jar jar binks actor, Ahmed Best, on the poster, that's pretty bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"