The Winter Soldier "The Price Of Freedom Is High." The Chris Evans/Captain America Thread

There was a bigger ooh and murmur in my audience when he appeared in that tank than during the Bucky reveal.

He's truly wonderful here. Aside from the aesthetics (and in some scenes his face is almost surreally beautiful) and the athleticism and physicality during fight scenes that tops any other super-hero actor I can recall Evans brings such humanity to the role.

He's so believably steadfast, honorable and kind - all of which he makes not only a strength but a vulnerability. His scenes with his "best girl" Peggy and the "to the end of the line" with Bucky" are gut wrenching.

He's now also so believable in Captain mode. I loved his first scene with Fury about how he doesn't appreciate being undermined on a mission and how he confronts Natasha about the same thing.

Oh the scenes between Steve and Natasha - so much chemistry. So much that it really makes it hard to get excited about Agent 13 as a love interest (and I'm already iffy on that because stuff from the comics - like her "killing" him and his kid)

Chris Evans is simply a beautiful man. He has always been hot, but when he was younger it was just hotness with no depth. Now his face and body almost seem sculpted into the perfect form. There is also a maturity that comes with age, a gravitas that makes Evans seem that much more handsome.

Evans has great chemistry with most of the other actors but his scenes with Scarlett were the best. Steve & Natasha make such a wonderful pair that it's hard for me to accept that the writers are going with the stale Sharon relationship from the comics instead. In their last scene together it was obvious (to me) that Steve & Natasha have deep feelings for each other. Maybe that was just me or Chris & Scarlett were playing something that wasn't on the page. Regardless, when Natasha went to kiss Steve, I fully expected another kiss on the lips instead of the peck on the cheek that we saw.

(That scene where they kissed on the escalator and then Nat asked, "Still feeling uncomfortable?" and Steve replied, "That's not what that feeling is!" He may be 95 but he sure ain't dead. :lmao:)

There was a bigger ooh and murmur in my audience when he appeared in that tank than during the Bucky reveal.

He's truly wonderful here. Aside from the aesthetics (and in some scenes his face is almost surreally beautiful) and the athleticism and physicality during fight scenes that tops any other super-hero actor I can recall Evans brings such humanity to the role.

He's so believably steadfast, honorable and kind - all of which he makes not only a strength but a vulnerability. His scenes with his "best girl" Peggy and the "to the end of the line" with Bucky" are gut wrenching.

He's now also so believable in Captain mode. I loved his first scene with Fury about how he doesn't appreciate being undermined on a mission and how he confronts Natasha about the same thing.

Oh the scenes between Steve and Natasha - so much chemistry. So much that it really makes it hard to get excited about Agent 13 as a love interest (and I'm already iffy on that because stuff from the comics - like her "killing" him and his kid)

Agreed. He could be the most sexiest, most badass guy in the world, but I would have lost any of my infatuation with him if he was a dick.

And, I'm not at all upset about the Widow not having a relationship with Cap. I'm on the Natasha/Clint bandwagon myself anyways. But they better step up Sharon's character development, because right now, she ain't doing it. She's no Peggy or Natasha, at all. She's just, at the right place at the right time more than anything, and I hate those. (I would have preferred if it was the waitress from The Avengers, she liked him because he was a nice guy, not because he was famous, or kickass, or because he was a legend in her little world.)

Last edited:
Can we talk about Chris' eyelashes? Because they are LONNNNNNNNNG!! And in 3D, they just called out from the screen, beckoning me to kiss them…

Uh, *ahem*, yeah. I agree with whoever said he was surreally beautiful, almost not humanly handsome. I think there was something to the lighting of certain scenes because his skin glowed like the fleece of a golden lamb…

*cough cough*

I mean, yeah. Chris Evans was super totally great here. Wonderful. Perfect even. My friend even asked me if muscles were real. I kept poking the air in front of me trying to touch them ;)

Chris has just grown into the role so well. He gets the character better than some of the writers do! I never thought I would see a modern actor with echos of Steve McQueen or sean Connery again.

Always knew he could do the role well

I questioned him, but after the TFA, he was my favorite. It is only getting better.

Nothing wrong with questioning casting decisions as long as you give the actor a chance when you see a film.

I didn't really have a choice. Chris took me with his big arms and hasn't let me go since. :hehe:

They must have been great for you, because you weren't even annoyed by Scarlett this time. :eek:

They must have been great for you, because you weren't even annoyed by Scarlett this time. :eek:
lol
I know it sounds like it sometimes but I do not hate Scarlett Johansson. She's not my favorite actress but she's hot and I think she can act. I thought she was fine in Winter Soldier but I still don't have any interest in a Black Widow movie but that's just me. Personally I don't see Marvel devoting the standard 140mil to make a movie about a hot female spy with no super powers but maybe I'm wrong? We will see.

Wasn't really a fan of him as Cap untill TWS. I thought he was great in funny parts but I couldn't take him seriously during the Drama. That goofy costume in TA didn't help.

lol
Personally I don't see Marvel devoting the standard 140mil to make a movie about a hot female spy with no super powers but maybe I'm wrong? We will see.
Hey, they made movies about a hot male soldier. :p

lol
I know it sounds like it sometimes but I do not hate Scarlett Johansson. She's not my favorite actress but she's hot and I think she can act. I thought she was fine in Winter Soldier but I still don't have any interest in a Black Widow movie but that's just me. Personally I don't see Marvel devoting the standard 140mil to make a movie about a hot female spy with no super powers but maybe I'm wrong? We will see.

I don't want this to get off topic but just had to say - Why does every movie Marvel makes have to cost 140 million? They're doing something very wrong if the Ant-Man movie ends up costing more than 100 million for instance. No reason we couldn't get something more like a La Femme Nikita type film for her. Easier to make a profit that way too. Not every movie has to end with Giant things falling from the sky.

As for Evans -

I'll admit I was suspicious of him when I first heard he was cast. But this wasn't entirely to do with him, so much as with the fact that I didn't really think there were any actors in this era that could capture Steve Rogers. He's just one of those characters that is so easy to cast with actors of days past. McQueen, Redford (though he'd be better as Matt Murdock), Burt Lancaster in his prime, etc. It was just hard to think of modern actors who had the weight (perhaps for the very reason that they are all just actors to me while those named above are "legends") needed.

But, a favorite film of mine ever since I saw it in theaters had been the movie Sunshine. If you are a fan of what Evans does as Cap, I HIGHLY recommend this Sci-Fi film. It falls apart in the end, but Evans' performance was kind of revelatory for me. This was the guy from Not Another Teen Movie and Cellular? He's amazing in that film and I think it must've been a big reason why Marvel cast the guy.

So I was weary but hopeful. He was very good in The First Avenger but that movie just didn't totally work for me so I think I sort of unfairly dismissed Evans a bit. But in The Avengers, when he finally takes charge in the battle of NY, I sat up in my chair. That was the guy who led the charge in the Infinity Gauntlet. Who could command both the Avengers and the JLA in a cosmic war. Who could find Giant Man in a bar and beat the piss out of him for being a sack of ****.

And in this film, Winter Soldier, he's just perfect. With the Russo's direction he found just the right point between Naive and Idealistic, Suspiscious and disillusioned, and firm but not bossy. He nails it.

And physically...well...the guy is a super-soldier.

I continue to just be amazed at what an amazing job Marvel has done with their casting. Not to compare to DC's films to bait but casting Bale was kind of an easy call. Great actor, great look, slam dunk. Cavill might turn out to be great casting but I don't think Man of Steel was a great start. I can't judge a Superman performance until I see how the guy seems when he's just happy to be helping people and being Superman.

But Marvel's trusting Downey Jr, finding Hemsworth, channeling what Evans' had inside him, using what's best about Rufalo....well it's just brilliant stuff. Not to mention the fact they they sort of started the Tom Hiddleston train. Even ScarJo, who I was really against in Iron Man 2 (I wanted Emily Blunt quite badly), has really grown into the role in Avengers and especially Winter Soldier.

It makes me super excited to see how Pratt does as Starlord.

Last edited:
Agreed with you about Evans in SUNSHINE. That was the movie I always mentioned when someone claimed Evans couldn't pull off Cap. And look at where we are now! :woot: He was also crazy good parodying basically himself in SCOTT PILGRIM. Another underseen gem. I'm really glad that's getting more cult status though as the years pass. For me, it was criminal how little it was seen in the theaters.

It's remarkable that Evans is probably having the best acting year of his career so far with TWS and SNOWPIERCER about to open in a couple of months.

I've never been so scared for a movie character as I am that they're gonna kill Rogers in Cap 3 or Avengers 3. Someone tell me he won't die!!! I've grown so attached to Evans as Cap, I would shed man-tears if they go that route, with Bucky becoming Cap.

Can we talk about Chris' eyelashes? Because they are LONNNNNNNNNG!! And in 3D, they just called out from the screen, beckoning me to kiss them…

Uh, *ahem*, yeah. I agree with whoever said he was surreally beautiful, almost not humanly handsome. I think there was something to the lighting of certain scenes because his skin glowed like the fleece of a golden lamb…

*cough cough*

I mean, yeah. Chris Evans was super totally great here. Wonderful. Perfect even. My friend even asked me if muscles were real. I kept poking the air in front of me trying to touch them ;)

After all the serious discussion about acting I'm going to wade back into the shallow end of the pool.

Those eyelashes are RIDICULOUS. Every time he stood in profile or closed his eyes I kept thinking about Matt Fraction's "The weirdest part of Winter Soldier is when you just want to put Chris Evans' eyelashes in your mouth" tweet. :hehe:

Evans is wonderful in Sunshine and though it was released in 2007 he filmed it right after he did the first Fantastic Four in 2005. He was 24 years old. So when I hear people saying his acting is just now getting good he's been doing mature interesting work quite awhile. Heck he was wonderful in Cellular when he was 21, he held that film together - even NATM when he was 20. Even in bad and mediocre films he's been consistently good and usually the highlight.

I had read when Chris was first cast that Feige saw Sunshine and that's what convinced him to bring in Chris when he'd overlooked him because he'd already played Johnny Storm. But recently there was an article stating that he'd also seen the Tenessee William's Loss Of The Teardrop Diamond which convinced him Chris could do period work for first film.
How many people saw that film beside Peter Travers and Chris' mother?

That's the kind of detailed research that is usually done when casting that most fans and sadly some studios, producers and directors don't think about let alone do. It's why I think Marvel has been so on point with it's casting.

I've never been so scared for a movie character as I am that they're gonna kill Rogers in Cap 3 or Avengers 3. Someone tell me he won't die!!! I've grown so attached to Evans as Cap, I would shed man-tears if they go that route, with Bucky becoming Cap.

Don't worry for Cap 3. He's signed on through Avengers 3. Now, Avengers 3...mehaps be nervous.

I actually saw Sunshine in theaters and thought Evans was great in it. I knew 100% then that he could play serious after that film. I thought he was fantastic in The First Avenger and Winter Soldier as well. I've been a fan for years and it's nice to finally see him in good films.

PFFT!! I was a fan of his before you were! #NotAnotherTeenMovie

:oldrazz:

;)

PFFT!! I was a fan of his before you were! #NotAnotherTeenMovie

:oldrazz:

;)
Oh you definitely have me beat. Fantastic Four wasn't good but I liked him so much in it that I became a fan. So that film was good for something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"