The Purge 2

I rewatched the original recently and while I still enjoyed parts of the story, the concept broke apart pretty fast for me. I kinda wished they used the neighbors as the main antagonist and keep Rhys Wakefield's character for the sequel.

But..this sequel looks even cheaper than the first film.

It's because they shot the film just now. Literally since maybe January and it's due this Summer. It's a quick shoot with a quicker post-production.

Why the f*** is this getting a sequel?

Producer Jason Blum of Blumhouse Productions business model of doing micro and low-budget genre movies means he almost always makes money and thus is able to drop sequels.

The first film only cost $3 million dollars and made $89 million dollars.

The house in the first film was like the infinity mansion. 70% of the movie was characters wandering around that house. I kept thinking how big can that house be? :funny:
But..this sequel looks even cheaper than the first film.

The budget is said to be the same as the first film $3 million dollars.

If this sequel is bigger in scope than the first I may have a tad bit of interest in it, but judging from that trailer it seems microscopic.

The scope is 'bigger' but has the same budget as the first film..hmmm.

That trailer make me think Frank Grillo would of made a good Punisher if he wasn't already Crossbones.

I guess I'm gonna have to eat my words on this one.

Now I am waiting to see what Grillo really brings to Crossbones in future Marvel flicks. Not to be ****ed with.

I only just watched the original the other night and I was quite impressed, I do wonder what they could do with a sequel though

Just a heads up that several cities have advanced screenings for this movie July 7th. I actually have a pass for the Universal studios sponsored screening in Chesapeake, VA. I am debating on attending the screening for this or going to the Guardians of the Galaxy Imax 3D 17 min first look event... DECISIONS!!

I think the concept behind The Purge is excellent, and while I did like the original I don't feel they made the best use of the concept, part of that was because they did the whole thing inside 1 house.
The sequel does have potential, if for no other reason than it's out in the open and we get to see how people react to the purge en masse.

I have a pass to a Universal Studios advanced screening of this tonight. If I manage to get in, I will post my thoughts/ review.

Alright I got the chance to see this last night and I wanted to post my thoughts while they are still fresh in my mind. First I will say yes, this movie is a improvement over its meh predecessor. This movie is what the first movie should have been. The story follows Frank Grillo playing as someone called Sargent ( he never says what his name is the entire movie until one of the villians calls him Sargent) who is out for revenge, a struggling mother and her daughter, and a young couple who are having marriage issues all eventually meeting each other and trying to survive Purge night in Los Angeles.

You can tell this is a cheaply made film as Frank Grillo is the only stand out among the cast as the rest are unknown actors. Also, those hoping to see hundreds of people running around the streets during purge night will be disappointed as the cast and the gang are the only ones on the streets, with a few other extras here and there. But what's cool about this movie as it gives you a better idea of the craziness that goes on during the purge, something the first movie failed to do. Also, the story touches on themes such as the rich people VS poor people and how status is viewed in America.

I will say that if you wanted Frank Grillo to play the Punisher after seeing him in Captain America Winter Soilder, you get your wish here as he is pretty much playing the punisher in this movie and he is AWESOME! The rest of the cast is okay with some spoty acting here and there, but they are largely forgettable. The gang the chases the group is pretty creepy. Also, the climax is pretty cool as well with
Frank Grillo taking on 4-5 rich purgers in an arena. Then there is a massive shoot out between a citizen milita group and a army of rich purgers.
There is also a cameo from a character from the first movie but it' meh.

Overall I liked the movie but I didn't think it was amazing. If you hated the first movie due to it's small scope you might like this one better. If you just hated the first movie all around then you probably won't enjoy this one. Even though it's a improvement over the first, I still felt like it was still missing some things. I give it a 7/10.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen this? I can't see how it can be worse than the original since it's not just a "family trapped in a house" scenario. And I liked Grillo in Cap 2 -- only thing I've ever seen him in.

I saw it today. I liked it better than the first one. I'm still not loving this franchise yet, though I do like the concept.

Frank Grillo was pretty badass in this, and he would make a great Punisher. I also enjoyed Carmen Ejogo and Zoe Soul, though Soul's Cali got on my nerves sometimes. She was a bit too talkative. Ejogo was one of the main reasons I went to see this. I liked her a lot in Sparkle.

I liked that this film had something to say about income inequality. It added depth to the mayhem.

It's funny, I just came from moviebob's review and he too mentioned that Grillo is essentially playing an awesome Punisher in this flick. He could def do the job although I still prefer Jane especially since Frank G is Crossbones.

Glad it's still a decent film. I'll go see it in a few days then.

Not gonna lie, I actually kind of loved this movie. Infinitely better than the first, and just great in its own right. Grillo was awesome and I loved the way it explored it themes, and the fact that it was a horror movie that actually had themes lol

Saw it tonight, pretty good. Much better than the first, but still left me wanting to see a huge Purge. For a big city there was so much empty space. I guess the idea was a lot of the main class of people purging were already dead after 9 years of purges, but it still felt a little empty.

honestly, I want to know more about this government. How did it come into power and what exactly is going on in Washington now?

It felt empty because it has a low budget for such an ambitious premise, and they shot it quick (like in January). The Warriors felt bigger than this.

I don't really get the hate for the first film. OF COURSE it started small. I was always under the impression that this was supposed to be a franchise...with the first being in one house...the second showing the outside world...and maybe the last being a group breaking the rules of not attacking the political power structure, thus taking down the system.

I don't really get the hate for the first film. OF COURSE it started small. I was always under the impression that this was supposed to be a franchise...with the first being in one house...the second showing the outside world...and maybe the last being a group breaking the rules of not attacking the political power structure, thus taking down the system.

It wasn't that it was small as much as it wasted the cool premise on a boring home invasion flick. They sold it as "Crime is free for one night! What happens?" and served up the rather boring "Rich white peeps get their home broken into!" that we've seen several times over, and better( The Strangers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"