Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The RATINGS Thread - Part 2

The show is toast at this point. If they renew it again they're going to end up with 0.4 ratings next season. CW has proven it's damn near impossible to drop below 0.2 on broadcast TV, so a 0.4 is about as poorly as any show on a network the size of ABC could do.

Plus Marvel has so many on going TV shows right now and the Inhumans are about to debut this year. Creatively and financially i think they should just move on. Like 4 seasons and 88 episodes are great for a show like this. So wrap it up as early as they can.

I hope that the writers are preparing for all possibilities. A finale that could be a series ender, just in case

The show is toast at this point. If they renew it again they're going to end up with 0.4 ratings next season. CW has proven it's damn near impossible to drop below 0.2 on broadcast TV, so a 0.4 is about as poorly as any show on a network the size of ABC could do.

Channing Dungey has recently stated that she is bullish regarding AOS's future prospects and TV by the Numbers has it in the "tossup" category for renewal next year. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but I think the most likely scenario is that the show receives a limited season renewal to do a 12 episode "Countdown to Infinity" arc.

Is there a reason you believe that they're going to go with the name 'Countdown to Infinity' as an arc? You keep repeating it as if it's going to stick and aside from Ghost Rider this season, I don't recall the show going with subtitles.

Channing Dungey has recently stated that she is bullish regarding AOS's future prospects and TV by the Numbers has it in the "tossup" category for renewal next year. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but I think the most likely scenario is that the show receives a limited season renewal to do a 12 episode "Countdown to Infinity" arc.

Dungey isn't going to come out and announce the show is a lame duck while it's still got a bunch of episodes to air.

I would bet the farm that the show is canceled. Like I said, it's already doing 0.6s, which is on the low end of what Arrow and Legends do every week on CW.

And historically, SHIELD tends to bleed viewers more and more as the years go by.

No way ABC wants to air 12+ episodes of a show that will be getting TV test pattern ratings.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you believe that they're going to go with the name 'Countdown to Infinity' as an arc? You keep repeating it as if it's going to stick and aside from Ghost Rider this season, I don't recall the show going with subtitles.

They did subtitles in the first season towards the end, although I'm drawing a blank on what it was. Something to do with SHIELD being fractured or something, I believe. This was around the time they had the Hydra logo.

They did subtitles in the first season towards the end, although I'm drawing a blank on what it was. Something to do with SHIELD being fractured or something, I believe. This was around the time they had the Hydra logo.

I'm not sure season 1 had a subtitle after the Hydra reveal, but the logo was definitely different. They have used subtitle since season 2 for sure. Inhumans, then Secret Warriors in season 3, now Ghost Rider and LMD.

Dungey isn't going to come out and announce the show is a lame duck while it's still got a bunch of episodes to air.

I would bet the farm that the show is canceled. Like I said, it's already doing 0.6s, which is on the low end of what Arrow and Legends do every week on CW.

And historically, SHIELD tends to bleed viewers more and more as the years go by.

No way ABC wants to air 12+ episodes of a show that will be getting TV test pattern ratings.

Depends on what they have to replace it. As always, relative ratings are more important than absolute ratings.

Dungey isn't even canceling her real life sister's show Conviction as of the moment and just saying that they didn't just order more episodes for season one. So I don't really buy her word, like which TV executive is gonna admit their show is toast while it is still airing? These people would say anything just so to encourage people to continue to watch even if they know the numbers are always down. This is from the same network that considered continuing Castle without the female lead but ended up canceling it and that show got better ratings than Aos. Aos will already have 88 episodes by May which is already good for syndication.

Why renew it when it is continuously the lowest rated show of the day when it comes to the big three networks and couldn't even beat repeats of other shows. For the sake of the show, they should just start telling the writers to wrap it up instead of rushing a series finale. I think they have been generous to the show so far and if they really care, an early call about the show's end to the writers should be done so the writers would have more time to wrap up all storylines.

Last edited:
Depends on what they have to replace it. As always, relative ratings are more important than absolute ratings.

Repeats get better ratings than SHIELD at this point. A 0.6 on ABC is catastrophically bad and it's only going to get worse come daylight savings time.

If they renewed it, by this time next year it would be literally impossible for a new show to do worse.

I know that Uprising was used as a subtitle in season 1 around The Winter Soldier release. I cant remember if they then switched to a different one.

The subtitles dont seem to be enough to draw in casual fans. Heck, I'm a huge Marvel fanboy who has seen every movie on opening night and every episode of every tv show and I actually forgot that the show was on and had to catch this episode online.

Syndication money aside, it might have helped to rebrand the show as Secret Warriors awhile back instead of botching that arc completely.

Cut the episode order down to one story-arc length (so, one third of what they currently have)....load it up as much as possible (Deathlok, Yo-Yo, Ghost Rider, Quake, Mockingbird)...and treat it like a special event.

We didn't learn about Agent Carter's cancellation until some time after the second season ended, so the same could happen for SHIELD.

They'll hold out on announcing whether or not SHIELD is cancelled for a while, I think. At least until we get past February when other shows are coming back and the ratings could change.

I guess I'm not the only one that hates the LMD story with ratings like that. Although, I don't know what they were expecting bringing it back in January, this typically isn't a high TV month.

ABC only aired 8 episodes in fall 2016 so they needed to air in January and they offered 7 straight weeks of new episodes.

What's interesting is that ABC didn't reduce the episode orders of Quanitco or Agents of Shield in late November as they knew the ratings the shows were gettting. Still Star Crossed could've been brought in as a replacement this spring. With their terrible numbers, ABC is going to air the entire seasons of both shows - unless they really tank and go below 1.5 million. Then they have to put on Match Game or Shark Tank reruns.

The Tuesday night competition on NBC and CBS isn't changing so they have no hope in beating those networks for the the rest of the season even against repeats. Those shows will also likely stay there next season too. So ABC is looking at being non-competitive in that timeslot for the foreseeable future unless a change happens.

I don't know how you sell to advertisers in May - we have a show that has a 0.6 in the demo and 2 million viewers but we double that in our DVR numbers - so people likely skip your ads.

Either cancel AoS or shove it to January for a 6 episode run to wrap up the series. The Inhumans are going to need a space on the schedule and it has to do better than what AoS is doing now. Plus ABC has lots of dramas pilots in the mix and wants to make their comedy lineups stronger.

ABC Dramas ordered to pilot
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/devwa...bc&daycode=2&statuscode=1&genre=drama&studio=

ABC Dramas ordered to series
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/devwa...bc&daycode=1&statuscode=1&genre=drama&studio=

I at least watch on demand with the hope that the fact that there are ads might make a difference. To me, the delayed numbers show that this show would still do better at a more convenient time slot. On the other hand, it would have to compete with higher expectations at an earlier time.

ABC is struggling with their dramas except for like four drama shows. Aos isn't going to Thursday, that's the TGIT block. Friday is a good night for ABC so I don't see why they should replace one of those shows for Aos, plus Aos would probably do worse in a Friday timeslot. Sunday is already in bad shape except for AFV. It wont survive airing against The Walking Dead and Talking Dead.While I don't see the benefit of airing Aos a hour or two hours earlier in Tuesdays or Wednesday accompanied by their sitcoms who rate better, even their reruns rate better than Aos. So that leaves Quantico's timeslot. Would a Bachelor and Dancing with the Stars lead in would make a difference, I don't think so Since those shows are a different type of show from Aos.

Live+Same Day to Live+7 Days increase for broadcast networks comic book based shows January 30th to February 5th.
18-49 demo/total viewers in millions.
Percent increases.

Arrow
0.6/1.915 to 1.1/2.990
83%/56%

DC's Legends of Tomorrow
0.7/1.776 to 1.2/2.963
71%/67%

Gotham
1.1/3.431 to 1.8/5.095
64%/47%

Lucifer
1.2/4.187 to 1.9/6.196
58%/48%

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
0.6/2.153 to 1.5/4.234
150%/97%

Riverdale
0.4/1.151 to 0.8/1.907
100%/66%

Supergirl
0.7/2.348 million to 1.2/3.745 million.
Increase 71%/59%

The Flash
1.1/3.063 to 1.8/4.705
64%/54%

But do you think the Inhumans would even be a bigger draw than AOS? Coulson is a familiar face and brought people in. I'm not sure that Inhumans would 1up them on ratings.

Well Inhumans is only starting with eight episodes, plus it's going to have a theatrical IMAX launch. So we'll see. It's a different model from Agents of SHIELD, and IMAX is also helping to finance it as well.

Agents of SHIELD has really never been a huge ratings show since it first started, and it managed to stick around for four seasons. That's not so terrible. Some great shows, better shows even, never even last that long.

If the Inhumans would have bigger scale and better VFX and storylines, then it could easily trump Aos. Plus the characters themselves (at least from the source material) are way more interesting than the bland agents of shield.

Agents of SHIELD has really never been a huge ratings show since it first started, and it managed to stick around for four seasons
Yes it was. It totally was.

It premiered to a 4.70 rating and averaged a 2.40 over its first season.

Compare that to any other DC/Marvel comic book show's first season
Gotham: 3.30 premiere, 2.19 season one average
Supergirl: 3.15 premiere, 1.68 season one average
Lucifer: 2.43 premiere, 1.47 season one average
Agent Carter: 1.93 premiere, 1.51 season one average
The Flash: 1.90 premiere, 1.44 season one average
Constantine: 1.40 premiere, 0.92 season one average
Arrow: 1.30 premiere, 1.11 season one average
Legends of Tomorrow: 1.23 premiere, 0.80 season one average
Powerless: 1.08 premiere, 0.90 season one average (through 3 episodes)
Preacher: 0.90 premiere, 0.62 season one average
iZombie: 0.83 premiere, 0.65 season one average
Legion: 0.69 premiere, 0.61 season one average (through 2 episodes)

It was by far the most successful show on the list out of the gate, and it shed viewers faster than any of them. Now the show is lucky to beat Legends of Tomorrow on a weekly basis.

Sigh. Its the freaking spin off of the third highest grossing film of that time! Of course it was gonna debut with huge numbers. And live viewership decreases every year, why compare a 2012 first season to a show that debuted in 2015/2016/2017 airing in a smaller network like Fx and CW.

But who knew, it would struggle this much during it's fourth season, being beaten by repeats and always at dead last when it comes to same day ratings.

I used every show that has debuted since Arrow, because that show ushered in the modern (post Smallville) era of comic book TV. Arrow came before SHIELD and has held up far, far better.

And of all the shows, SHIELD drops more year by year than any... by far:
Season 1: 2.40 average rating
Season 2: 1.59 average rating (-34%)
Season 3: 1.18 average rating (-26%)
Season 4: 0.76 average rating (-36%)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"