The RATINGS Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' started by Thread Manager, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famicommander Registered

I had forgotten all about Damage Control. I was thinking of the as-yet untitled John Ridley series that is supposed to be in development.

It will be interesting to see how Damage Control does versus Powerless. Very similar premises, announced very close to each other.

2. famicommander Registered

The big concern for SHIELD right now is it still doesn't seem to have found its floor

Last five episodes ratings

Those numbers are going to get pretty ugly after the midseason break

3. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

Maybe Agent Carter will give the ratings a kick
    doubting it, but mayybe

4. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

Not trying to be negative but this show wasn't a good idea. I mean, if they started from the beginning making it about SHIELD and veteran agents, then I can understand. But it seems like when they started, they wanted this to be kind of teeny boppy with only Coulson and May as the hard nose veterans. Ward was hard nosed as well but came off wooden. There best bet is to repackage it under a new title. At the rate it's going, it maybe in the negative soon. :o

5. famicommander Registered

Another 1.3 last night, not sure what the unrounded total will be.

Agent Carter is delayed two weeks for the State of the Union Address.

At this point I'm expecting Agent Carter to do very poorly.

6. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

It is a shame that Agent Carter has been so attached to this show since the beginning, so more people didn't give it a chance at the start. I personally think Agent Carter is a much better show overall, or at least the first season was.

7. famicommander Registered

I agree that Carter is much better than SHIELD but that doesn't make it good (it's not, in my opinion, but I know a lot of people disagree).

8. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

The rating has been at 1.3 for the past few weeks now, but # of viewers has been going up a bit. When we first hit the 1.3 with episode 7 it was at 3.49million viewers, ep 8 (still at the 1.3) went up to 3.6million viewers. And the initials from last night have ep 9 at 3.82 million viewers.

Same thing with the Live + 7/DVR ratings... eps 4-6 have all had a 2.5 Live+7 rating, but the viewership went from 6.387 to 6.396 to 6.483 million

As for Agent Carter... I think I can understand their reason for bumping it. They probably though that the SOU address would be within the last two weeks of January (at the earliest) and so figured they could get at least 3 episodes in (if the season premiere is eps 1 & 2 aired back to back) - possibly 4 or 5 - before they had to take off a week for the SOU. However, with the SOU being announced for January 12th (which is kind of early... I don't think there's been a SOU occurring before the 15th of January for *at least* 30 years... it's usually taken place within the last 2 weeks of January or else the first week of February) - they probably didn't want to have the premiere, then a break, and then come back. Doing it this way, they should be able to show all the episodes without any weeks off.

#983 Silvermoon, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  9. famicommander Registered

The rounded number has been 1.3 but as you see above, it has been falling every week in the unrounded ratings

Last night's unrounded number was a 1.29, but that's preliminary. It could adjust up or down.

10. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

I pretty much agree with this

Had the show started with Coulson, Hill, Mockingbird, maybe Quartermain, May, FitzSimmons as the minor 'Q' type characters, and regular cameos from Samuel L Fury, the ratings would've been much more solid

then season 2 you add Quake and do the whole inhumans thing and slowly roll out original characters to make us care about

11. famicommander Registered

It finally did stop its decline this week, as the unrounded rating from Tuesday is 1.31.

That's three straight weeks at 1.3 though, and the only time the show had ever been below 1.4 before this was last season's two hour finale (both hours were 1.30).

This is also the first week ever that SHIELD was beaten outright not only by Flash, but by Arrow (due to the crossover) as well.

I really feel like this show is moving to 10 PM for its fourth and probably final season. Maybe even Fridays.

12. Shakel92 Registered

I read an article where Fox said that they don't even pay attention to the overnight numbers anymore. Other than live sporting events and the walking dead, most people don't watch live tv anymore. I wonder if ABC feels the same?

13. famicommander Registered

That's just PR damage control for Fox. Their live ratings are terrible, so they're not acknowledging them publically anymore.

The networks look at the C ratings, which does include the C+3 and C+7 ratings. They never looked at L+SD numbers in the first place when it comes to renewing or cancelling shows. It's always been the C ratings.

The reason WE look at L+SD ratings is because C ratings are usually not available publically. But when they are released, they're almost always in line with the L+SD ratings. The L+SD ratings are the best analog that we have to the actual C ratings.

The C ratings measure one thing and one thing only: viewership of advertisements. Most people who use DVRs and such skip commercials, and consequently the C ratings are never too far off the L+SD ratings.

The L+3 and L+7 ratings that get released are essentially meaningless. Most of the increased viewership from those numbers are people skipping commercials.

14. SonOfIvaldi Registered

Forgive the naivety, but as this show gets better its actually leaching viewers? WOW!

15. famicommander Registered

Popularity often has little to do with quality. Justin Bieber has sold more albums than my three favorite metal bands combined. More people play Call of Duty than any other game, and The Big Bang Theory is the number one "comedy" on television.

Consider how dumb the average person is. Now consider that half the people are even dumber than that.

16. aNarcHy2day Screw You Mayans!

That being said, "show gets better" is an entirely subjective opinion.

Apart from the Skye-to-Daisy arc in the first half of season 2, I'd argue the series has tapered off again. Again, entirely subjective and SonOfIvaldi is entitled to his own opinion.

17. BarryAllen ey b0ss

That's not why the show got off to a wrong start. They could've done the whole 'next generations of SHIELD agents' and made it work, but went wrong was how they approached it. The first was the made-up characters for the show, which alienated comic fans and made it hard to give a **** about. Who wants to see a show in the MCU where all the characters are made up for the MCU? A lot of people watch the show to see characters they loved and had an investment in be re-interpreted in live action. If they used characters like Jimmy Woo or Clay Quartermain instead of Fitz or Tripp, then maybe hardcore fans would've stuck around for the long haul because of their prior familiarity with the characters. Also, the writing was atrocious in Season 1, taking all the worst parts of the MCU and making a show based off of terrible attempts at snark and *****ty CGI. It's true that the first impression is the most important, because clearly they haven't been able to win over the people that quit watching the show in the beginning. And lastly, expectations of how the show would connect to the greater MCU where just too damn high. Everyone expected Iron Man or Cap to show up, when we all knew that was going to be impossible. If they did the Defenders approach, where the series use actual comic characters and craft great genre stories that can stand on their own two feet with or without the MCU. If they played up the covert nature of a spy organization like SHIELD since the beginning instead of making a sci-fi version of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, the show would've been much more successful.

#992 BarryAllen, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  18. giveyourself12% Team Walt

I didn't catch the first few episodes, but when I did get the opportunity to tune in about midway through the first season, I enjoyed the heck out of the show. The only issue I had was with stereotyped young girl who is brilliant and sarcastic and uber talented with skills beyond her age but don't forget she's very young and tee hee.

That stopped being an issue a long time ago, though it's creeping in again with Saint Lincoln.

19. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

If you read my posts in the past in this same thread, I made those exact same points. And in the points you made, I agree with but I wouldn't call anyone wrong for their opinion. But I digress.

20. Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

1.3 prelim.

Also related, "TVBTN" has currently classified it as "Sure to be renewed" status in their opinion.

21. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

yeah, it's been discussed in here before
    basically most shows that make it to season 3 will get a season 4 to hit that magical 100 episode mark for syndication

question will be if this show comes back after that
    maybe after next season they let it die so 'Inhumans' can come into the MCU fresh in 2019 or whatever

22. Eddie Registered

ABC just isn't doing as well as they should on Tuesday, so AoS isn't that bad for them. Not to sound like a broken record, but make it genre night! There's talk of reviving the Star Wars live action show, so put it on before AoS.

23. aNarcHy2day Screw You Mayans!

That actually makes sense, yes.

24. giveyourself12% Team Walt

Nooo!!

25. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

80 or 88 not 100. It would need a 5th season to hit 100 episodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.