• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Dark Knight The reason for the title

GoblinsBack2K7

Civilian
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Joker was responsible in the comics for giving Batman the nickname "Dark Knight"? It makes sense, and I think that would make a great scene in the movie, if the Joker were to give a line like "If I am the Joker of this kingdom, you must be the Dark Knight." That could even be the tagline for the film:
"To defeat a Joker, you need...The Dark Knight" kinda corny but hey i like it. :batman:

AFAIK, the first time Dark Knight was used was by Miller, and I don't remember it being used anywhere but the title. I could be wrong, though.

Even if he didnt in the comics it would be cool for the movie, intertwining the two characters together even more

Bathead said:
AFAIK, the first time Dark Knight was used was by Miller, and I don't remember it being used anywhere but the title. I could be wrong, though.

No, they used to call Batman 'the DARK KNIGHT DETECTIVE' in the late '60s and 70s. I think Denny O neil coined the phrase.

Milller just chop of the 'Detective' part.

EDIT: After doing some internet reseach it appears the term Dark Knight started in the 40s.

In DETECTIVE COMICS #40 (page 159 of BATMAN ARCHIVES Volume 1), a caption in panel four reads, "A moment later - Batman, the Dark Knight, and Robin, the Boy Wonder..."

Thereby, the term "Dark Knight" predated Frank Miller by a good forty years.

The first time THE DARK KNIGHT was used was by Bob Kane and Bill Finger in Batman no.1 from 1940 ;) In that comic book The Joker calls him like this!

I guess it will have a deeper meaning, not just a phrase said by a character in the movie.

Escalation. Gotham City crime is on the escalation. Batman has to step up, become a darker heroe than in comparison to the hero in Batman Begins. Maybe he starts questioning his sanity? Going around and fighting crime while dressed as a bat? There are actually many things that the sequel could mean. Personally, I think it means that Batman will become a much darker character than he was in the first film.

Actually I think it all boil down to that it sounded like a cool title for the movie. :)

Which it does.

Recent interview with Nolan:

Horowitz: Is there anything to be inferred from the name you’ve chosen for this film, The Dark Knight?
Nolan: Ultimately yes. [Laughs] But I’ll leave that for people to infer.

Horowitz: This is the cryptic portion of our chat.
Nolan: Yeah. [Laughs] The title has been chosen very specifically. It’s quite important to the film.

As stated before, I think the title is meant to possibly represent the darker psychological aspects of Batman.

hmmmm i'm also thinkin maybe it also relates to in TDK that maybe batman wont have much support from the public or police...

Do you think that now they will start name the batman films numerical, for example the third bat film being The Dark Knight 2, or do you think they will just do a trilogy and title the 3rd film The Dark Knight Returns? Could they do that though? What with copyright issues?

The Batman UK said:
Do you think that now they will start name the batman films numerical, for example the third bat film being The Dark Knight 2, or do you think they will just do a trilogy and title the 3rd film The Dark Knight Returns? Could they do that though? What with copyright issues?

:o I would hate that...

Triligors said:
Escalation. Gotham City crime is on the escalation. Batman has to step up, become a darker heroe than in comparison to the hero in Batman Begins. Maybe he starts questioning his sanity? Going around and fighting crime while dressed as a bat? There are actually many things that the sequel could mean. Personally, I think it means that Batman will become a much darker character than he was in the first film.

good stuff.

Well, as I can understand, Nolan will explain his choice of the title.

The Batman UK said:

WB owns DC, there will be no problem if Nolan wanted name title The Dark Knight Returns.

I highly doubt 3rd movie will have The Dark Knight in it's title.

Nolan always makes something new and fresh, the same happens with the titles, so you should expect something unpredictable for 3rd movie.

Cinemaman said:
I highly doubt 3rd movie will have The Dark Knight in it's title.

Nolan always makes something new and fresh, the same happens with the titles, so you should expect something unpredictable for 3rd movie.

Yeah, cause I didn't expect the title for the second one to be The Dark Knight, so....

Mr. Vice said:
Yeah, cause I didn't expect the title for the second one to be The Dark Knight, so....

Most of us didn't expect this, and the same will happen with 3rd movie's title :up:

GoblinsBack2K7 said:
Does anyone know if the Joker was responsible in the comics for giving Batman the nickname "Dark Knight"? It makes sense, and I think that would make a great scene in the movie, if the Joker were to give a line like "If I am the Joker of this kingdom, you must be the Dark Knight." That could even be the tagline for the film:
"To defeat a Joker, you need...The Dark Knight" kinda corny but hey i like it. :batman:

For god's sake I hope not

I remember from the news Batman animated series they had something about The Dark Knight title in the first season if anyone remembers that.

The 3rd part's sequel could be SHADOW OF THE BAT...

Batman with a Vengence for the third.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"