The Dark Knight Rises The Reese Enigma

I think he can play a pivotal role in the next film. It really depends on what they are going for in the story. My idea of something that would include him for the next film would be to have a villain, like The Riddler, kidnap him and force him to tell who he was going to say Batman was. Then off him or something. It could be a minor, but pivotal part. I don't think his role should be tossed away. It would add to Batman's dilemma if the villain knew, or had an idea, of who his identity was.

You're not really giving me a reason though. All you seem to be doing is saying "It's not Reese, you're just bored."
What I'd love to know is why the mere idea seems to annoy you. Why is that? Why is it that when someone mentions the Reese/Riddler link people actually seem to get irritated? True or not, it's just a film. But this whole issue makes people like you come across as very defensive.
Why is that?

Actually, i gave you a reason: its cheap fanwankery...a lame, unnecessary tie that is only there so that people like you can say "This is a cool plot twist!"He is not needed for a third story, and when he most likely wont appear in the next one, most of you will not care. Most people are defensive because, like me, they are annoyed at how bad some of the ideas on this board are. And yes, Reese as the Riddler is a bad idea.

Reese as The Riddler would only be a bad idea if they maintained that his failed blackmail was the reason for his criminal endeavours.
Now, if you found out that "Mr. Reese" was in fact Eddie Nashton. And his whole life had been forged to allow Riddler access to Bruce Wayne, then I don't see how that is a bad idea.
As long as the actor can pull it off.

Reese as The Riddler would only be a bad idea if they maintained that his failed blackmail was the reason for his criminal endeavours.
Now, if you found out that "Mr. Reese" was in fact Eddie Nashton. And his whole life had been forged to allow Riddler access to Bruce Wayne, then I don't see how that is a bad idea.As long as the actor can pull it off.

With all due respect, you're really reaching here. There is NO REASON to believe that Reese is in reality Eddie Nashton/Nygma other than your desire for it to be so. I really don't understand why you would think such a cheesy gimmick is a good idea or that Nolan would ever even consider such an thing.

Last edited:
I don't understand how it's a bad idea. I really don't.
I mean, I think the idea of The Riddler being there and just lurking under the surface is pretty cool. What's so cheesy about it? I really don't understand.

My idea of something that would include him for the next film would be to have a villain, like The Riddler, kidnap him and force him to tell who he was going to say Batman was. Then off him or something. It could be a minor, but pivotal part. I don't think his role should be tossed away. It would add to Batman's dilemma if the villain knew, or had an idea, of who his identity was.

thats an interesting thought. it would only work though if the actor could pull it off really well though. it would be cool if that was how nolan introduced the riddler knowing who batman was.

it just seems like mr reese is the best way to introduce the character, because he fits the bill so well (disgruntled ex-employee of wayne enterprises who figured out who batman is during his time as an employee). i personally would love to see reese be the riddler. apparently i am a minority though...

I don't see why Reese has to be the only disgruntled Wayne Enterprise employee. Considering how many employees work there, why does Reese have to be the Riddler?
Can't there be a Edward Nygma disgruntled for a different reason? The answer is yes.

There can't be a guy working at Wayne Enterprises named Edward Nygma. Not in Nolan's world. It's just too hokey. Its best we don't know who the guy is, or what his name is. He's just known as the Riddler. Like John Doe in Seven.

I don't see how Nygma is a hokey name in any way, never understood that reasoning from fans. Especially considering some "fans" are thinking Mr. Reese sounding like mysteries is okay, but a man with a last name Nygma isn't.

I don't see how Nygma is a hokey name in any way, never understood that reasoning from fans. Especially considering some "fans" are thinking Mr. Reese sounding like mysteries is okay, but a man with a last name Nygma isn't.

Oh, lets see, a guy who's name can be shortened to E. Nygma just happens to be obsessed with riddles and trying to outwit the Batman and comes to call himself the Riddler. Do you really think that would work in a Nolan movie? It won't happen, and it can't happen.

That same logic can be used for Mr.Reese sounding like Mysteries. It's a bull**** reasoning.

That same logic can be used for Mr.Reese sounding like Mysteries. It's a bull**** reasoning.

I didn't say anything about Mr. Reese. I clearly stated, in fact, that we shouldn't know who the Riddler is. :whatever:

And that's a cop out as well. Besides, we already have that M.O. for the Joker, we don't need another thing that people will find Riddler being similar to the Joker.

Edward Nygma is a pretty cartooney name. I don't think it would work in Nolan's movies at all.
But the ex-employee scenario is very believable and would fit in Nolan's movies. An employee could easily and believably find out Batmans identity. I think that Reese would be perfect for the role.

^^This is true, it originally was Nashton. I think there may have been a story where he changed it to Nygma to fit in better with his Riddler persona. It doesn't seem as cheesy to me if he named himself that, it fits right in with his egotistic personaity.
PS- Who says he has to be a disgruntled Wayne employee? That's straight out of Batman Forever. Why can't he just be an egotistical yet intelligent thief with a gimmick? What is this penchant that some fans have wanting to change everything about a character? Why this constant yammer about "having to fit in Nolan's world"?Just because he's made some minor changes to some characters, now people seem to want to make major changes to all the characters.
I see no reason why characters like Riddler can't fit in "as is" with maybe minor tweaking. If it ain't broke ...

Last edited:
^^This is true, it originally was Nashton. I think there may have been a story where he changed it to Nygma to fit in better with his Riddler persona. It doesn't seem as cheesy to me if he named himself that, it fits right in with his egotistic personaity.
PS- Who says he has to be a disgruntled Wayne employee? That's straight out of Batman Forever. Why can't he just be an egotistical yet intelligent thief with a gimmick? What is this penchant that some fans have wanting to change everything about a character? Why this constant yammer about "having to fit in Nolan's world"?Just because he's made some minor changes to some characters, now people seem to want to make major changes to all the characters.
I see no reason why characters like Riddler can't fit in "as is" with maybe minor tweaking. If it ain't broke ...

I don't see how an egotistical thief is at all breaking with Nolan's realism. In fact, it may be even more realistic that the Riddler be a stranger inspired by the Joker rather than have a previous, coincidental connection to Wayne. Then again, I'm not one of those people who thinks that heroes and villains need to have a relationship or history with one another outside of their enmity.

I'd prefer it if the Riddler were more than just a thief however. After murderous villains like Ra's, Scarecrow, the Joker, and Two-Face, a thief just doesn't seem interesting or threatening enough, especially since Catwoman might be in the sequel.

Well, The Riddler IS more than just a thief. He's killed people. Seriously, for a good Riddler story, read "Dark Knight, Dark City." You can find it in Batman #452-454. Here is what I posted in the characterization thread:

He's been known to engage in grand theft, assault, attempted murder, and murder. But he generally can't just shoot someone and be done with it. He has to concoct some intricate death trap and either - generally, if the victim is Batman - challenge the victim to find the one and only way to escape (yes, Jigsaw from the Saw series is, in some ways, a major Riddler rip-off) or - if it's someone other than Batman - provide Batman with riddles that he had to unravel in order to save the intended victim.

And of course, that's his M.O., no matter what kind of crime he's committing. Any crime that can described in a riddle, The Riddler can, and will, commit. And if they do another film version of The Riddler, they really need to make his riddles difficult, which they've never done in previous on-screen representations. The Riddler's riddles should require genius-level intelligence and problem-solving skills to solve. That's the point. Riddler is a narcissist who has to constantly prove to the world that he's smarter than everyone. And Batman can only thwart him by being even smarter.

I always felt this could be where Reese would come into play. I always thought that the Riddler should kidnap Reese, make him spill who he is accusing of being Batman (which it ends up being true), and then putting him through one of his games for Batman to find or something. I think it would be better to kill him off, just so he can't be used again to spill the beans. This could be the point where Batman realizes that the Riddler is a bigger threat than he initially thought. Where it's much more than just riddles he needs to solve. Coleman Reese could be his first victim or something.

That's why I think he'd be an interesting villain to go with for Batman 3. I also think Black Mask should be in there too. However, rather than having him be someone inspired by Joker, I'd rather have him be one of the many patients that escaped from Arkham in Batman Begins. I don't think any villain should be inspired by the Joker (except if they go Harley Quinn) in any upcoming sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"