The Dark Knight Coleman Reese is the Riddler

GregComicFan

movie and comic buff
Reaction score
IGN.com has an interesting article about the "top things you didn't know about Batman"... most of it all fans of the series already knew (Christian Bale auditioned to be Robin in BF, Cillian Murphy auditioned for Bruce Wayne in BB, etc.)... one of the things they mentioned is that since Nolan is NOT doing any future Batman movies after TDKR, audiences can just be left to assume Coleman Reese (Mr. Reese, ... mysteries... ) was the Riddler.

I can live with that, he pretty much seemed like the Riddler (a Riddler who is just starting out... pre-using the disguise and committing crimes)...

Thoughts? What if Nolan just came out and said "Yeah, Coleman Reese was my nod to the Riddler"... would you be happy?

I always thought the character being Mr. Reese was a nod to the fans and with him not even appearing in TDKR, I can always assume he's the Nolanverse's version of Riddler.

I knew that would start something.. I won't accept it because I would rather have the Riddler find out that Bruce Wayne is Batman when he's the Riddler, not some guy named Mr. Reece. But not a repeat of what happend in 1995.....

If that's what makes you sleep at night, sure Reese could be the Riddler.

It's better than Anthony Michael Hall being Riddler.

Yes that's who everyone thought he was when TDK was being made lol.

or he's just Reese. Seriously I see very little connection between him and the Riddler.

But you still see a connection since you did say "very little" :awesome:

It was something fanboys blew out of proportion. That's all.

This^^ The fact that Mister Reese sounds llike "Mysteries", and the fanboys were off and running, just like those idiots in the seventies with the "Paul McCartney is dead" nonsense

I don't mind it being true or not.
I'm glad they didn't use Riddler in these movies but hey, if this was Nolan's little ~hint~ to the fanboys, I'm okay with it.

While some cling to this hope, I'm one of those people who clings to the idea that Dent is forreal alive.

I'm watching TDK right now and I'm noticing with Mr Reese something I've never noticed or seen mentioned before. And it makes me believe that while he's not the Riddler he is a defi ite nod to the Riddler. Yeah, his name sounds like Mysteries. More to the point, up to the blackmail scene he has worn the same tie in both his scenes.... and that tie is purple with some kind of greenish motif. I fully expect it in every scene.

*EDIT* Definitely a purple tie in every scene.

Last edited:
I'm watching TDK right now and I'm noticing with Mr Reese something I've never noticed or seen mentioned before. And it makes me believe that while he's not the Riddler he is a defi ite nod to the Riddler. Yeah, his name sounds like Mysteries. More to the point, up to the blackmail scene he has worn the same tie in both his scenes.... and that tie is purple with some kind of greenish motif. I fully expect it in every scene.

*EDIT* Definitely a purple tie in every scene.

I believe he is the Riddler, he learns the identity, he has an interesting name, in the promotional web ads back then I think there was an Edward Nashton in one of them commenting on something, he also draws attention to the tie if you look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmOBGRkWnXU I also always wondered if Lau was the Calculator or something.

I still don't understand th point of his character. The movie was already a little bloated and really all he did was give Joker an excuse to blow up a hospital, which he had already planned on doing anyway. (Assuming it takes time to set up all those explosives).

Take out Reese's storyline and you really dont lose anything in the overall narrative.

It would've been nice, but I prefer the Leonardo DiCaprio as the Riddler plan WBs had in mind.

I still don't understand th point of his character. The movie was already a little bloated and really all he did was give Joker an excuse to blow up a hospital, which he had already planned on doing anyway. (Assuming it takes time to set up all those explosives).

Take out Reese's storyline and you really dont lose anything in the overall narrative.

Yes, he was pretty marginal at best.

I don't really care who Coleman Reese was. He was the bad corporate dude like Earle in BB and Daggett in TDKR.

But, I mean, rookie Detective John Blake turned out to be Robin, so pretty much any assumption could be made.

Reese didn't show any Riddler qualities. He was just a greedy corporate guy.

Nygma would never tell Batman's identity out straight on the TV without making a riddle or game out of it.

I don't really care who Coleman Reese was. He was the bad corporate dude like Earle in BB and Daggett in TDKR.

But, I mean, rookie Detective John Blake turned out to be Robin, so pretty much any assumption could be made.

I don''t think he's meant to "be" Robin, that's just his name. It was a nod to the character, nothing more.

Think it was just a little joke put in, the fact he works for wayne enterprises fits but with no intellegence sucking television brain box, im not sold :p

Until the Nolans or Goyer come out and say "Coleman Reese = The Riddler", he's just ****ing Coleman Reese.

its weird that people on a message board call people "fan boys", in a smug attitude acting like they themselves are not fan boys/girls with a quarter of a million post count haha. its also weird that these same random fan boys can say "he's not a nod to the riddler because i would know haha". the truth is, not a single person here on this site, or on any other website knows FOR SURE.
weird how modest typers can be with their "facts". (which sums up the internet, hahha)

I believe he is the Riddler, he learns the identity, he has an interesting name, in the promotional web ads back then I think there was an Edward Nashton in one of them commenting on something, he also draws attention to the tie if you look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmOBGRkWnXU I also always wondered if Lau was the Calculator or something.

I can believe that Mr Reese was supposed to be a nod to the Riddler, in fact, watching The Dark Knight with that in mind, it has actually helped me enjoy the movie a little more (hard to do) if I trick myself into thinking he is supposed to be The Riddler.

I really wish they wouldve just named him Edward Nashton, John Blake shouldve had the same name as a Robin (Dick WAS on the Police Force...I wouldnt be mad if John Blake was called Dick Grayson)

And the chubby cop in TDK shouldve been called Bullock, and the latina one (even though she sold out) shouldve been called Renee Montoya

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"