The RPG Concept Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an idea I've been kicking around for a while. It's basically a deconstruction/parody of Saturday Morning cartoon shows:

Twenty years ago, the world was invaded. The great Galactic Empire descended upon the Earth like a mighty shadow. Attacking every major city simultanioiusly with giant, monster soldiers and flooding the planet with ground troops, the Earth came very close to falling. A coalition of the major military powers quickly formed. They were aided in the defense of the planet by Yil, a mysterious alien entity who had been exiled to Earth generations ago, and his Celestial Knights, a holy order of warriors weilding technology that blured the lines between the physical and metaphysical. The War lasted a year, with the Empire setting it's base on the moon and regularly gaining territory against the Earth coalition, which ever day resembled a rag tag group of guerilla fighters than an enemy army more and more. Ultimately, however, the war was won when Yil sacrificed himself to turn an enemy Super Weapon against the Empire.

The word, as well as the galaxy, has been changed forever. In order to rebuild, the United Nations took upon itself greater executive powers, and now served as a shaky world government. All the cities destroyed in the war have been rebuilt, but with a few exceptions most have yet to reclaim their former glory. As a result, many smaller neighboring cities and towns which served as a haven for refugees have grown to rival the former status of their neighbors. The presence of alien technology left behind has also changed everything. The military has successfully reverse engineered cruder versions of the technology of Yil's Knights, and has created a special squad of their own Knights to combat special threats. The same technology, as well as other technology left behind by the Empire or reverse engineered from Imperial weapons, has made it's way to the black market, and is used by criminals of all types. In day to day life, the leftover alien technology has greatly altered the day to day lives of average people, with advanced tech available everywhere.

One significant example of this is the DNAlien craze, genetically engineered pets made from terrestrial and alien DNA that have special skills and powers and can perform many tasks, as well as being designed to fit multiple aesthetics. Owning one is a status symbol of sorts, and shows and compititions for them akin to dog shows are a common occourance. Raising, training, and breeding them has become a subculture. Underground fighting rings are illegal, but not unheard of.

Games have become a significant part of the global culture and very serious business. As many athletes died fighting in the war, more intellectual games and sports became crucial for raising morale post war. Chess, various card cames (including trading card games), even tops have become major spectator sports, often with millions of dollars on the line.

The Galactic Empire was seriously effected by the war. After the defeat on Earth, the military was weak enough to fall victim to wide spread rebellion. The royal family went into hiding, and the Empire splintered into many smaller states. While in most cases former member worlds became fully independant once again, several formed a coalition in the form of a federal republis. Smaller than the Empire, it struggles to hold it's former place in the galactic community.

Back on Earth, two major shifts are in the works. The first is physical, as the United Nations space program is on the verge of entering space in the form of a starfleet. The second is metaphysical. There is a change coming. The spiritual world and the physical world are blending in places they didn't before. While magic has always existed, it is regaining strength and prominance it once had, but adapted for modern times. Spirits and Gods are manifesting much more than they used to, perhaps because humans horizons have been opened to the possibility of what lies beyond once more. When they do manifest, their forms are strange. Reflecting pop culture and archtypes of today. In many cases seeming very wry, very sarcastic, very strange... loony, you could say.

The point of the RPG is to be a desonstruction/parody of saturday morning kids shows, so characters should be based on or in reference to cliches and tropes from those shows, albeit through the lense of deconstructions.

I really like the idea of a saturday morning cartoon parody/deconstruction but, I dunno, the plot seems kinda complicated. It could just be my feeble brain, though.

how about an underworld RPG? i kidna laready got this much of a application for it done, so its jsut, finishing and fine tuning it, ive never actually done one of these, but had the idea, and well, help is appreciated :)

heres the app as it stands

RPG Application
Screenname of the Proposed RPG’s Game Master:sabetoonth
Do You Have An Instant Messenger that we can reach you on for better conversation? (i.e MSN, Yahoo, AIM, ect.) And if so, what is your screenname?:
ive got yahoo and gmail chat, and a skype, names sabetoonth there too
Gamemasters/Assistant Gamemasters already chosen:
How will the overall layout of the RPG be?: i see myself at the moment as GM, and any AGM's, with ongoing play
Premise of RPG, if it is a user created RPG see below for applicable additions to this Applicaton, (Must be a paragraph or longer).
What will this RPG bring to the RPG forums? (please write two complete sentences):
Title Of The RPG You Would Like To Propose:
Example Of Characters Application:

-----

Addendum to RPG Application if it’s user created
Classes within RPG (if applicable):
VAMPIRE:
Elder
Death Dealer
Aristocrats
LYCAN:
1st generation
2nd generation
Character Races within RPG (if Applicable):
VAMPIRES
LYCANS
HYBRIDS

one of my big things is handling who can become hybrids, so we dont have a huge number running around, theyd all ahve to be in micheal's bloodline, its jsut a matter of finding a fair way to judge. and also some of the class things and such

any and all help id appreciated

ok to maybe get less technical,
followign the deaths of the original immortals, alexander corvinus, marcus and willaim corvinus, the world of immortals has changed, no set order or government controls the vampires, small covens have sprouted up aound the world while other vamps have chosen to go it alone, lycans are starting to become more numerous with their constant hunting having stopped, its every immortal for themselves, at least for the antisocial ones it is. every immortal, anywere int he world, now has their story that can be told, wanna flash back while u slace up civilians or your opponents?
i accidently edited when i wanted to quote and add that last paragraph

I know the RPG Revivals have not been the most popular thing as they have not really worked, but each RPG died for different reasons. And one of the reasons I feel that the RPG I'm going to mentioned died, is the GM's were not active and were known for blipping off the radar for a while every now and then to begin with.

The "Gotta Catch 'Em All" Pokemon RPG looked at the world of Pokemon and put a mature spin on it. As in, it was more realistic with the audience and members of the game being matured teens and up. Evil organizations like Team Rocket and such were what they should be: evil and not in the childlike sense that the cartoon made them to be.

The RPG would have a different name, for it would have a few changes: before only the First and Second Generation Pokemon were allowed, and if you wanted to have any Third or Fourth Generation Pokemon it had to be approved by GM's. I do not wish to have such a restriction so that people can literally do what they wish so long as it fits within the rest of the established rules.

The other changes that will be made is that I will be making a new island, with Gym Leaders I have established and such. People can still apply as the Gym Leaders from previous Pokemon games but I'd encourage them to have their leaders not remain in their gyms in other areas of the world. So essentially I am creating an entirely new globe, where each continent is the worlds from the previous Pokemon games+my continent for the new towns and Gym Leaders of this game. You will know the new Gym Leaders names, Pokemon, the moves of their Pokemon (as in the TMs they may have since all Pokemon in this game can use any move the Pokemon they can learn regularly as they will still not be restricted to 4 moves at a time), the Gym Name & Badge, as well as the Town they reside in. My character will be the Gym Leader of the last Gym for those who want to play characters who challenge the Gym Leaders.

I wasn't a GM in the last game, though I was more active than the GM's and put lots of input. And I personally have several ideas set in mind so I see myself very much investing in keeping this RPG alive should it somehow die down. The new Pokemon RPG game will be called "Pokemon Turquoise Version" RPG.

Last edited:
I know the RPG Revivals have not been the most popular thing as they have not really worked, but each RPG died for different reasons. And one of the reasons I feel that the RPG I'm going to mentioned died, is the GM's were not active and were known for blipping off the radar for a while every now and then to begin with.

The "Gotta Catch 'Em All" Pokemon RPG looked at the world of Pokemon and put a mature spin on it. As in, it was more realistic with the audience and members of the game being matured teens and up. Evil organizations like Team Rocket and such were what they should be: evil and not in the childlike sense that the cartoon made them to be.

The RPG would have a different name, for it would have a few changes: before only the First and Second Generation Pokemon were allowed, and if you wanted to have any Third or Fourth Generation Pokemon it had to be approved by GM's. I do not wish to have such a restriction so that people can literally do what they wish so long as it fits within the rest of the established rules.

The other changes that will be made is that I will be making a new island, with Gym Leaders I have established and such. People can still apply as the Gym Leaders from previous Pokemon games but I'd encourage them to have their leaders not remain in their gyms in other areas of the world. So essentially I am creating an entirely new globe, where each continent is the worlds from the previous Pokemon games+my continent for the new towns and Gym Leaders of this game. You will know the new Gym Leaders names, Pokemon, the moves of their Pokemon (as in the TMs they may have since all Pokemon in this game can use any move the Pokemon they can learn regularly as they will still not be restricted to 4 moves at a time), the Gym Name & Badge, as well as the Town they reside in. My character will be the Gym Leader of the last Gym for those who want to play characters who challenge the Gym Leaders.

I wasn't a GM in the last game, though I was more active than the GM's and put lots of input. And I personally have several ideas set in mind so I see myself very much investing in keeping this RPG alive should it somehow die down. The new Pokemon RPG game will be called "Pokemon Turquoise Version" RPG.

I'd be in.:up:

Also, I'd be an assistant GM, if you need one, trusty.

Sounds good. You can be an AGM.

Oh, and applying for my created Gym Leaders for the other 7 Gyms is an option. I will provide mini-bios for them and such and from there you should be able to gather their personality type and such to portray them.

Oh, and applying for my created Gym Leaders for the other 7 Gyms is an option. I will provide mini-bios for them and such and from there you should be able to gather their personality type and such to portray them.

Sounds good. I'd probably be applying for a created character.

This is an awesome idea trusty. I too would probably find time to play, being that I've been on a FireRed binge as of late. One question though, will you be deciding the Gym Leader's specialty/pokemon type and their Pokemon as well, or is that up to the players?

Everyone gets their Pokemon randomly, with the odds heavily favored towards psyduck. :p

This is an awesome idea trusty. I too would probably find time to play, being that I've been on a FireRed binge as of late. One question though, will you be deciding the Gym Leader's specialty/pokemon type and their Pokemon as well, or is that up to the players?

While I already have all the information about the Gym Leaders and their Pokemon, shoot me your ideas via MSN and I can see what can be done. I am rather fond of the gym leaders I designed and such, but I'm always up for ideas.

ok ive worked on this more
RPG Application
Screenname of the Proposed RPG’s Game Master:sabetoonth
Do You Have An Instant Messenger that we can reach you on for better conversation? (i.e MSN, Yahoo, AIM, ect.)
And if so, what is your screenname?:
ive got yahoo and gmail chat, and a skype, names sabetoonth there too
Gamemasters/Assistant Gamemasters already chosen: i am at the moment the only game master
How will the overall layout of the RPG be?: i see myself at the moment as GM, with B-man, with ongoing play
Premise of RPG, if it is a user created RPG see below for applicable additions to this Applicaton, (Must be a
paragraph or longer). based ont he films starring kate beckinsale scott speedman and bill nighy, the world is not
as humans see it, there are htings that go bump in the night, vampires and werewolves, for centuries a war has
raged between the two species recenlty events have unfolded that have hcanged the underworld forever, viktor,
a vampire elder has been slain by the death dealer selene and her new lover, micheal corvin, human descendant
of alexander corvinus, and a hybrid, both vampire and lycan, but stronger then both. amelia another elder, and the vampire
council have been slain by lycans. and marcuz, the first vampire, has become a hybrid yet was also slain by selene, who had fed
on the blood of alexander corvinus, mortally wounded by his son marcus. marcus' brother william, the first lycan,
was killed by his distnat relative, micheal corvin. selene can now walk in the light, and the future of both species is uncertain.
LIMITATIONS:noteveryone can be a hybrid, mostly becuase you have to be descended from alexander corvinus, a 5th centruy warlord,
then you have to be a carrier for the "Corvinus Strain" the mutated plaugue that ade alexander the first immortal.
micheal is the only known surviving carrierm though not much is known about his immediate family(wink wink, dont get
carried away kids though itd only be a parent and a child that would be carriers)
WHAT I HOPE TO ACCOMPLISH: with this RPG i want to give fans and people interested a chance to fire off some rounds
at the other species, make deals, break them, conive and scheme their way as far as they can, or jsut kill stuff, but
but even the death dealers, just simple soldiers, can find themselves in a big mess that unravels others plans.
What will this RPG bring to the RPG forums? (please write two complete sentences): this RPG will bring an action/horror
game, combineing the two genres of movies, something i dont think the hype has, also a litle change up from the usual
comics RPGs and scifi ones.

Title Of The RPG You Would Like To Propose:UNDERWORLD:BLOOD RUN
Example Of Characters Application:
Name: self explanitory
Species: Lycan, vampire,hybrid(pick one)
Physical Traits: height, weight, eyes color, red color, build, skin, hair cut and style of any facial hair
Appearance: regular dress for your character
Personality: how does your character interact with others? do they have any...problems?
History:what has already happened to your character?

Weapons: weapon(s) of choice, be specific

Extra info: Anything extra you want to let everyone know.
-----
Character Races within RPG (if Applicable):
VAMPIRES
LYCANS
HYBRIDS

hows it look?

MB once had an idea for a Crisis On Multiple RPGS, but it never went ahead.

And this past season in DC we were talking about doing a crossover with another DC RPG on another site sometime in Season 9, have them come on to the hype and be an Earth-2 counterpart to our Earth-1. I can't remember the name of the site, but they're history is just as long as our RPG's.

I remember watchman tried a multiverse rpg a few times.

And this past season in DC we were talking about doing a crossover with another DC RPG on another site sometime in Season 9, have them come on to the hype and be an Earth-2 counterpart to our Earth-1. I can't remember the name of the site, but they're history is just as long as our RPG's.

The JLA Watchtower RPG I think.

So out of curiousity, I was just wondering if anybody had attempted a Smallville RPG before?

Twice, unfortunately. It didn't take.

'Sides, given the current state of that show it should be renamed "Green Arrow's Smallville featuring Clark Kent" if you guys went for a third attempt. :oldrazz:

As long as it doesn't involve Davis Bloome, I don't care what they call it. :o

I'll have a think and a consider...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"