The Scores - Your Favorite and How You Feel Chris Young Handled Spidey's Themes

batman11

Reaction score
Hi, this is actually the first thread I've started here on the hype. I know there is already a music thread, but I felt that this deserved its own thread cause this is very specific.

So, I saw the midnight screening. Saw it again today. I liked better the second time through, but some parts really ticked me off, however thats for another thread. The second time through, I was very intent on listening to the original scores composed by Young. We had a revamped Spider-Man and "love/relationship" theme. We were then introduced to the Sandman theme, the New Goblin theme (which to my delight incorporated old Green Goblin elements) and a Venom/Symbiote theme.

So....what were your thoughts on them? Did they flow well with the opening credits? Did they flow well with the movie? Which was your favorite? Which did you hate? Let's hear what you have to say.

BTW if anyone can get me links to the actual composed score and not the OST, I'd be very appreciative! :woot:

Young completely ****ed up the score. The opening credit music, besides the already established theme, was a complete debocal. Just listen to the score that plays when Spidey wakes up, hanging upside down wearing the black costume, for the first time. Sounds like something from the Power Rangers!

The ONLy part of the score i liked was Peter vs The Goblin, and that's it.

I agree, when Peter woke up, it sounded like something out of Batman Forever, when Bats drove up the wall. Which Peter-Goblin fight are yuo talking about? The first I assume?

I don't remember much of it except for stuff that was inspired by Elfman, and also the first Peter and Harry fight.

Yeah, batman11 where Pete is grabbed off his scooter by Harry/Goblin.

i liked the first goblin battle theme and the venom transformation theme.

Sandman theme is one of the best compositions I've heard in a while.

I didn't think much of the score. Just didn't work for me.

I liked the first Peter-Harry battle theme and I liked how Young reworked the Elfman Goblin theme into the new Goblin theme. After the second viewing I found Venom and Sandman's thems quite catchy, but not as catchy as, say Doc Ock's.

Golgo13, Young just sandwiched his new themes into the Elfman's Main Titles theme. The differences between the two composers' styles was immediately apparent. That and the bit when Peter wakes up with the symbiote on him were the only disruptive bits in the score. The latter should've been a slow crescendo or a low menacing sound that evolves into the symbiote theme, not boom and play the theme right then and there.

Otherwise, I was pleased with how Young handled the score, he was very faithful in keeping Elfman's themes in in full and by fragments. I really liked how he turned the main theme for Spider-Man on its ear for the black version of Spidey, mainly with the use of brass. And that segment where Young integrates segments of Elfman's themes in the bit where Peter is taking off the suit in the clock tower, with ominous choir, brass and strings.

I do think Sony shouldn't have temped part of the film with unused music from SM-2 or with the rearranged themes from SM-1 and SM-2. I would've liked to see a full Young score without studio interference to maintain Elfman's sound.

Young's score was far inferior to Elfman's. I'm just glad he kept some of the themes the same.

I loved the accelerated Spider-man theme during the Gwen Stacy rescue.

Any score originated by Elfman (which thankfully is most). Elfman understood the balance. Young came on too strong when the visuals already did so and the Venom theme sucked and completely undermined certain scenes (most notably when Parker first discovers the black suit).

Does anyone know if this score is going to be released on a CD? I have the first two, and I'd really like this one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"