The Simpsons to drop Apu from the show

If they're dropping Apu to appease SJWs on Tumblr, that's super lame. The Simpsons makes fun of everyone and everything, that's kind of the point. And you could even say Apu is one of the more positive characters on the show.

It states they might drop him which is a mistake if they do. Rather than put the effort into making him more than a stereotype they are just going to sweep him under the rug and forget he exists.

Groening has been a child about this the entire time, so not a surprise.

Who runs Kwik-E Mart now? Do they still require a guru for appointing clerks to that store?

Once again, cowering to the SJW crowd. These people can go get ****ed with thier moral crusading bull****. Hope they’re happy their hurt feelings have killed off an iconic and beloved character.

Maybe you should watch "The Problem with Apu". Near as I can tell, that documentary maker wouldn't want this either.

Groening is the one being a child.

If the guy who made the documentary wants a better example of an Indian character he's within his rights to create his own and pitch the ideas around. The show's creators are under no obligation to make changes based on a few people who feel uncomfortable, especially when literally every character in the show is lampooned as equally. The people running the Simpsons know there's no pleasing these people, that no amount of change to Apu is going to be good enough, but instead of standing their ground and telling them to turn the channel they took the cowards way out and in the process killed off one of their best character.

Or, or try to have a meaningful conversation about Apu. Hank Azaria seemed to at least hear the criticism.

Groening is the one having a childish temper tantrum.

I mean, calling a film that deals with Indian-Americans talking about how Apu impacted their lives, especially for those in the entertainment industry, merely "looking to be outraged" is pathetic.

Yikes at how many people who aren't Indian are totally dismissive of the criticisms from that community.

It's not the Indian community, it's a small section of people who want to remove stereotypes over the misguided idea that they are hurtful to the community as a whole. It's not. There was an entire episode where the Simpsons came to Australia that got so many things awfully wrong about our country and culture, but it was hilarious because it's meant to be an exaggeration of who we are. What those who complained don't realise is we need to be able to poke fun of and exaggerate ourselves. There's literally nothing wrong with Apu as a character, the problem is they're only seeing the surface level stuff, not that he's a successful business man who loves his family and community.

Reactions: CJ
If the guy who made the documentary wants a better example of an Indian character he's within his rights to create his own and pitch the ideas around. The show's creators are under no obligation to make changes based on a few people who feel uncomfortable, especially when literally every character in the show is lampooned as equally. The people running the Simpsons know there's no pleasing these people, that no amount of change to Apu is going to be good enough, but instead of standing their ground and telling them to turn the channel they took the cowards way out and in the process killed off one of their best character.
The general issue with this argument is the vast majority of the characters have always been made fun of based on things outside of race. Homer is a dumb father. Bart is a bratty kid. Lisa a bookworm. Ned, overly religoius. The joke about Apu is his race. Same with Bumblebee Guy. Comparing being Australian to that makes very little sense.

The general issue with this argument is the vast majority of the characters have always been made fun of based on things outside of race. Homer is a dumb father. Bart is a bratty kid. Lisa a bookworm. Ned, overly religoius. The joke about Apu is his race. Same with Bumblebee Guy. Comparing being Australian to that makes very little sense.

No, it's his culture that's being lampooned not his race, just like it was our culture being lampooned. Do you think everyone one of us sounds like a drunken slob who's ready to rob you of your Dollaridoos? Do you have any idea the outrage that Australian episode caused down here when it aired, how many opinion pieces written by self righteous media types who couldn't take a joke? I bet you don't, and I also bet you'd think it would be absurd to get upset over something like that, and you'd be 100% right, because we need to be able to laugh at ourselves.

No, it's his culture that's being lampooned not his race, just like it was our culture being lampooned. Do you think everyone one of us sounds like a drunken slob who's ready to rob you of your Dollaridoos? Do you have any idea the outrage that Australian episode caused down here when it aired, how many opinion pieces written by self righteous media types who couldn't take a joke? I bet you don't, and I also bet you'd think it would be absurd to get upset over something like that, and you'd be 100% right, because we need to be able to laugh at ourselves.
His race is tied directly to his culture and is a big part of what they are making fun of. To say otherwise is flat out wrong. Or do you think it was just fate that they just had the Indian man running a convenience store, with the overt accent?

As a suggestion... find the documentary and watch it. Media does have effects intentional or not on society at large. I am not saying I think Apu should be removed and honestly if one read the article posted there's no confirmation he is. But I think it's better to actually engage with the issues some Indian Americans have before so blithely dismissing their concerns out of hand. Really watch the documentary as it's an honest grappling with how stereotypes play out in the culture and affect people. I don't even agree with call the creators conclusions but it made me more aware of a viewpoint and experience I am unfamiliar with. Concluding that everytime these issues come up is just a case of thin skinned sour grapes is shortsighted in my view especially if you haven't actually bothered to hear what others have an issue with precisely.

A perfect one-word review of the last 15 or so seasons of The Simpsons.

Oh noes, they're getting rid of Apu? They should get rid of the whole show.
6D40AF1E54B73A9FD01A15C82B77623265ADAE44

Groundskeeper Willie should be next then I imagine, very stereotypical aggressive, yelling, lunatic Scottish character.

We should probably run through the entire list of characters & just remove the ones that have any sort of stereotype attached to them just to be safe.

Groundskeeper Willie should be next then I imagine, very stereotypical aggressive, yelling, lunatic Scottish character.

We should probably run through the entire list of characters & just remove the ones that have any sort of stereotype attached to them just to be safe.
No one has to remove anything. But the reaction from Groening has been particularly stupid. He is crying and throwing his toys out of the pram because someone brought a valid point. Instead of being a mature adult who perhaps tried to address what the documentary brought up, Groening has acted like a child. Hank Azaria did the exact opposite, and has come off the better for it. And it isn't like he doesn't touch this type of ground somewhere else. Look at Brockmire.

His race is tied directly to his culture and is a big part of what they are making fun of. To say otherwise is flat out wrong. Or do you think it was just fate that they just had the Indian man running a convenience store, with the overt accent?

Race and culture are two different things.

No one has to remove anything. But the reaction from Groening has been particularly stupid. He is crying and throwing his toys out of the pram because someone brought a valid point. Instead of being a mature adult who perhaps tried to address what the documentary brought up, Groening has acted like a child. Hank Azaria did the exact opposite, and has come off the better for it. And it isn't like he doesn't touch this type of ground somewhere else. Look at Brockmire.

You obviously know a lot more about this than I do, I don't even know what Groening's reaction has been as I've not followed it that closely other than reading the briefs in the past year(?) or so regarding the character of Apu presumably because of the documentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"