"The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers) - Part 1

Discussion in 'Spidey-World' started by Thread Manager, Sep 22, 2017.

1. GamerSlyRatchet Registered

Weisman mentioned a few times he liked the character of Mr. Negative. So I assume we would've seen him.

2. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Spectacular reunion with some of the cast from Spectacular Spider-Man

3. GamerSlyRatchet Registered

Neat interview. Not much in new info, but Weisman did confirm he specifically intended Mr. Negative for season 3.

4. Shikamaru Registered

I mean, Young Justice returned so we never know. Even Gargoyles eventually returned in comic form. I wouldn't be shocked if this show eventually returns one way or another, especially with Disney and Sony somewhat working together and Weisman having a good relationship with both. I'm not counting on it or getting my hopes up but it wouldn't shock me, that's all.

On a sidenote, I think 616 Hobgoblin can potentially be a good archenemy for Miles with them both being legacy characters and both having artistic tendencies (granted 616 Miles doesn't have as many artistic tendencies as the ITSV version I'm thinking of, but still). Hobgoblin even gave the Goblin a cape, which Miles wanted to do to his costume. There are some interesting parallels you can do there and have the Hobgoblin feel fresh again, IMO.

#154 Shikamaru, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    UltimateWebhead likes this.
  5. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

After this month's boring fight in the new cartoon and the moments of idiocy like Spidey keeping his fists on his hips while watching Lizard exit in his school as Symbiote Norman Goblin's back is turned on Spider-Man with slow boring action all around, I felt like watching something Spectacular and watched the climax battle of Final Curtain that wastes no moments and doesn't leave loose ends for.. reasons.

Why is it that after this show we had to wait a decade to see great fights in animation that carry some amazing dramatic weight and story value, and it was in a movie, not a show? I can compliment Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon when it comes to action and animation, but not much else.
    The new show fails hard in all of that, and it was supposed to make up for USM's shortcomings.

Spectacular ended in 2009, so I gotta say 11 years after it ended abruptly, 12 after it started, and basically everything about the animated series from 2008 (with exception for Joe Robertson) has been very high level of quality that is used to describe the title character.

Starting with the 80s and the habit of 2 Spider-Man animated shows per decade, this is the record we have:

Eighties: Two entertaining shows (for me at least) that suffer through mostly poorly executed storytelling, but at least got the character and his world mostly right, even though they lack the depth that make Spider-Man a hit character.

Nineties: One show that -while not great- left a big impact on many audience and is hailed to this day as a show to remember fondly, another show that had potential to be great, but was cancelled quickly and has certain issues.

2000s: One solid show despite being confused in episode order and licensing issues, succeeded by one of the best animated shows based on a comic book character that got axed too soon.

2010s: Shows that display failure at understanding the core basics of what makes Spider-Man Spider-Man, what makes Peter Parker an engaging character, boring action, uninspired music, supporting cast that outshine Peter Parker either in value as characters or how annoying and/or bland they can be, less than engaging voice actors for the character, pride in bad puns and lame jokes that take too much time, idiotic behavior, guest stars that are awfully misunderstood by the show writers, and so many more issues.

What make the issues of shows of last decade more painful is that they were made and released directly under the supervision or advice of comic book writers. You'd expect something more interesting and better handled because of that like what we got for PS4, but instead we got the most insufferable takes.

UltimateWebhead likes this.
  6. UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

I can't really comment on the new show since I haven't watched it outside of the first 7 episodes or whatever but I'm not surprised it's not doing well.

As for the 'comic book' writers you're referring to, I'm assuming you mean Dan Slott and Gage? If so, again, not surprised the show isn't doing well. Neither of those guys has anything resembling an even halfway decent grasp on the character, especially the former. And I'm being generous when I say that.

But it goes back to 'that's why Spectacular is so good.' The creators of the show did understand the character. They did understand how to craft a good story and weave ideas, write dialogue, choreograph action scenes and more importantly give them purpose and emotional weight. We won't get another good or great Spider-Man show again until another batch of educated creators comes along.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  7. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

You're doing yourself a huge favor by ignoring the new show. It's somewhat less obnoxious than USM (which I've admittedly enjoyed since the get go) and got things somewhat better, but still manages to remain obnoxious at points. One of this season's episodes gave us Peter's Spidey, Iron Heart, and Amadeus Cho's Hulk, and they outplayed each other in who could be the more annoying character.

Slott and Gage sure have their disappointing stuff, Slott more notably cause of certain stuff, and more notably after the end of Superior Spider-Man, but they still showed more understanding of the character than most writers of USM and the current (thankfully one episode away from ending) crappy show that keep making Spider-Man a blundering buffoon for most of the first season and parts of subsequent seasons. Both of these shows together will make a total of 162 episodes (counting all origin shorts for this new show as one episode in total) of disappointing gross misunderstanding of the character and his world. That amount of crap succeeded one amazing show with some outstanding action and fantastic voice acting, and the first one of the two underwhelming shows started alongside a show that did Spider-Man a lot of justice when it brought him in as a guest star (Earth's Mightiest Heroes).

The current show had the gall of having two of the best Spider-Man voice actors in a single episode (Josh Keaton as bored and boring Norman Osborn and Yuri Lowenthal as bored and uninteresting evil Curt Connors) along with the unimpressive new voice for Spider-Man (who is pretty fine as a voice actor in other roles), and they stand still where action is required, and pointless slow motion still plays a part in the action.

I want to hope for improvement this decade, but with the current state of things and staff I doubt we will get any reason to find hope for the future of Spider-Man's TV animation. The crap makes it even harder for me to watch Spectacular Spider-Man again cause it's something sooooo good that ended way way too early I can't helpe but cry when watching, and made way for 164 episodes of disappointment starring Spider-Man, and some average shows that some times guest star the dumb and dumber versions of Spider-Man.