Comics The Spider-Man Forums and YOU!

Well, now that the initial feelings have been reviewed and put forth, I'll just ask this of my fellow posters:

How do you think we can improve the boards? I'm not talking any administrative details or anything along those lines, but how can we make the experience more enjoyable for each other?

Honestly, the best thing anyone can do, IMHO, is to avoid personal attacks and keep the discussion about the comics (or whatever other topic we find ourselves wandering towards). I've found that things tend to get out of hand the fastest when the insults start flying. As moraldeficiency said, exchanging some s**t is one thing (and can make a debate more fun), but some people consistently go overboard.

The problem is that, regardless of what some of us would prefer, there will always be a number of posters here who won't follow any guidelines we'd like to see. I could (but won't) name several people who are close to being put on my Ignore list because I have yet to see them add a single constructive post in any of the threads I've viewed. They don't even necessarily hold opposing viewpoints from my own, but it gets annoying after a time to watch someone deliberately try to rile up others. I've never put anyone on Ignore before because it takes a lot for someone to earn that, but there are a few people (both here and on another forum) that I wouldn't miss not hearing from again.

It is true; sometimes we DO get a bit out of hand, but it happens because we care too much about Spidey/Peter Parker.

It is true; sometimes we DO get a bit out of hand, but it happens because we care too much about Spidey/Peter Parker.

Oh, most definitely. There will always be someone passionate about an issue, and that's great. When people stop caring about a title is when there's a problem. For example, I'm still here because I love the AU Spidey books. I honestly just can't muster the energy anymore to get upset over 616 Spidey, and that's unfortunate. I'll drop a comment here and there if I see that I can contribute something, but overall I just watch the 616 threads now. They're rather entertaining. :cwink:

No, what I was saying is that, regardless of whatever anyone decides here, there will still be plenty of trolls out there to derail threads. If everyone ignored them they might go away, but time and again someone will make a short, inflammatory post that gets another poster riled up. People are getting better about avoiding those traps, but it still goes on.

We'll never have a perfect forum here, especially not with the fans so divided on such a hot topic as OMD/BND. But that doesn't have to be a bad thing. I doubt there are many people here who want to come to a forum just to have everyone agree with them. I think the best thing we (and by "we" I mean as many of us who are willing) can do is to try to keep the discussions about the comics, cars, or whatever else pops up and not about how Poster 4134 is a moron and is just talking bull****.

(I apologize in advance if "Poster 4134" is an actual member of this or any other forums. :oldrazz:)

Well, now that the initial feelings have been reviewed and put forth, I'll just ask this of my fellow posters:

How do you think we can improve the boards? I'm not talking any administrative details or anything along those lines, but how can we make the experience more enjoyable for each other?

Aloha,
What does it say about us when we actually CARE about how we relate to each other on SHH? SHH stands head and shoulders above most other comic book forums. We should Keep the passion, just maintain the respect.I also think that the Mods, have to get more on guard.For so long we were soo civil, they had very little to do.That's when the Secret Invasion started.For me, anyone who considers themselves a Spidey fan, is a Spidey fan. The idea that someone is more or less of a fan because they don't like a particular story is trash that the Mods should put an end to.
Spidey rules with mutual RESPECT

Hmmm, a few thoughts. Mandate drunken posting. Mandate naked gf pic exchanges.

Actually what makes the boards interesting and fun aren't the mods or rules or anything else imposed on posters here. Those are just things to keep general order and some type of guideline for posters. The only thing making a board interesting or not isn't even the topic it's who's posting and how many opinions there are. I truly believe more moderation would only hurt the discussion flow. You're always gonna get some trolls and idiots here, but do we really need to kick them out cause they're ruining things? Just don't respond or care about them and you solve your own problem.

But kicking this back to you Matt, how would you improve things?

Hmmm, a few thoughts. Mandate drunken posting. Mandate naked gf pic exchanges.

Actually what makes the boards interesting and fun aren't the mods or rules or anything else imposed on posters here. Those are just things to keep general order and some type of guideline for posters. The only thing making a board interesting or not isn't even the topic it's who's posting and how many opinions there are. I truly believe more moderation would only hurt the discussion flow. You're always gonna get some trolls and idiots here, but do we really need to kick them out cause they're ruining things? Just don't respond or care about them and you solve your own problem.

But kicking this back to you Matt, how would you improve things?

What better reason do you need for banning a poster? If a poster is inherently ruining the discussion with nothing more than there presence, who needs them?

As far as the changes I'd make personally? Well, first I'd trim off some of the old, old, old threads. We have threads in the Spider-Man 2 section that concern Venom being in the film. It's a bit silly. Other than streamlining the operation, I've done all I can at this point, I've voiced my opinion on bashing others for their opinion. Over-moderation can ruin a thread, I agree. But, then again, so can calling someone ****ing ******ed because they like the "One More Day" storyline.

What better reason do you need for banning a poster? If a poster is inherently ruining the discussion with nothing more than there presence, who needs them?

As far as the changes I'd make personally? Well, first I'd trim off some of the old, old, old threads. We have threads in the Spider-Man 2 section that concern Venom being in the film. It's a bit silly. Other than streamlining the operation, I've done all I can at this point, I've voiced my opinion on bashing others for their opinion. Over-moderation can ruin a thread, I agree. But, then again, so can calling someone ****ing ******ed because they like the "One More Day" storyline.

Then who should be the judge of who's ruining a conversation? You? The Mods? The tread creator? That's an awfully slippery slope of moral high ground you're trying to climb there. Personally I'd prefer completely open exchanges with the chips falling where they may. It's better IMO to have more exchanges and ideas thrown around then less.

I agree about trimming down threads that are irrevalent, or maybe just getting rid of some things. (do people really go to the movie threads?)

If you don't like what someone's posting you can always just ignore them. See, problem solved. I think a lot of the problems here are the result of people feeling they must respond to something they disagree with just to say they disagree. I wish some arguments had more thought and idea exchange and less stating the obvious.

PS. anyone liking the OMD storyline has at least a 95% chance of being mildly ******ed. I haven't even seen any BND supporter make that bold a statement.

I like how you judge the rest of the forum for not having more thought and idea exchange, and immediately say something as lowbrow as calling someone ******ed.

I liked OMD in that it ended what I thought was a mistake. I, personally, would not have done it that way, but that's what they chose. I'll live with it.

I like how you judge the rest of the forum for not having more thought and idea exchange, and immediately say something as lowbrow as calling someone ******ed.

I liked OMD in that it ended what I thought was a mistake. I, personally, would not have done it that way, but that's what they chose. I'll live with it.

I said I would like more thoughts and opinions good or bad throw them all in and let's sort through. I'm certianly not living in my glass house chucking stones here, and anyone can call me ******ed if they want without me caring, I just want a reason why. I was saying if you think something is stupid just don't say that's stupid without offering your thoughts on it.

OMD was a hogpodge of a story written out of character with odd choices that didn't have proper pacing or emotional impact. Most of the people's faces also looked like loose silly putty (though Iron Man looked cool). The entire thing felt dragged out and clearly orchrastrated with a very intentional and obvious purpose. There were no surprises (well I guess harry was, to be fair), no drama, just incessant whining. To top it off it ended with my personal hero making a deal with the devil. It was, simply put, a horrible story ill thought out and poorly written. I can't see anyone in there right minds liking it, and yes I think the only people that could would have to be mildly ******ed or just with a screw loose. You can disagree all you want, I'm saying the disagreement is better when you show why you think this way, not that any thinking is necessarily wrong.

And you're not saying you actually liked the story OMD offered. You're skipping lightly around the issue. Is there anyone on here at all that honestly enjoyed the OMD story just for the story, not counting the eventual result but just thought the story was a good Peter Parker tale?

Well, I don't view these kind of comics in a vaccuum like that. To me, it's part of a tapestry. Did I like this particular thread, if pulled out and examined and looked under a microscope. No. But I don't look at any story like that. Not Death of Gwen Stacy, Not Kraven's Last Hunt, Not Phoenix Saga. The only thing that makes them worthwhile is being a part of the whole. So if you're asking if I liked OMD as a stand-alone one-off, well no. Because of all the points you made. And frankly, if these changes stick, 10 years from now, I'll probably have to pull those issues to see what the story was. That's the hallmark of a great story, one that from memory, I can quote dialogue, or remember the sequence of events. I have a felling 10 years from now, I'll be asking myself, "Was that story with Loki or Mephisto?" as hard as that is to believe now. But right now (and hopefully in the future) I'm grateful for it getting us here.

Well, I don't view these kind of comics in a vaccuum like that. To me, it's part of a tapestry. Did I like this particular thread, if pulled out and examined and looked under a microscope. No. But I don't look at any story like that. Not Death of Gwen Stacy, Not Kraven's Last Hunt, Not Phoenix Saga. The only thing that makes them worthwhile is being a part of the whole. So if you're asking if I liked OMD as a stand-alone one-off, well no. Because of all the points you made. And frankly, if these changes stick, 10 years from now, I'll probably have to pull those issues to see what the story was. That's the hallmark of a great story, one that from memory, I can quote dialogue, or remember the sequence of events. I have a felling 10 years from now, I'll be asking myself, "Was that story with Loki or Mephisto?" as hard as that is to believe now. But right now (and hopefully in the future) I'm grateful for it getting us here.

Yeah, we're very different people. I get what you're saying but that's not how I and some others read. I've gone a long time without reading any comics due to traveling or other issues. When I get back into them I don't pick up everything I missed, I cherry pick what sounds like good stories based on the recommendations of others. Does that mean I don't get the full Spider-Man experience? Sure, but some of those stories I've missed are crappy and I just don't care enough to read them.

Also I don't save my comics, when I'm done I give them away. If the story was good it sticks with me, if it was amazing I'll get the trade and put it on my bookshelf (though it has to be very good for that honor), so for someone like me only the memorable and worthwhile stories matter.

Yeah, there are times I wish I were more like that (and not have the long-box burden - we're looking for another house, and I only have one requirement- a comic book room).

There are probably titles that I'd never drop. Amazing might be one. Come to think of it, I'd be hard-pressed to think of another. I would say I buy very little on collector-mentality. If my income were a less, I would probably drop those. But I don't mind sticking with some average to bad stories to have the whole story.

This thread needs a good, hard bump. Especially with all the unpleasantness regarding TDK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"