The Stephen King Thread - Part 2

Later: New King Book Coming 2021
Posted: August 3, 2020, 09:23:34
Section: Book » Later
New King book coming from Hard Case Crime March 2, 2021.

a6eeb777-450a-4722-8ed2-a801cc.jpg

SOMETIMES GROWING UP
MEANS FACING YOUR DEMONS

The son of a struggling single mother, Jamie Conklin just wants an ordinary childhood. But Jamie is no ordinary child. Born with an unnatural ability his mom urges him to keep secret, Jamie can see what no one else can see and learn what no one else can learn. But the cost of using this ability is higher than Jamie can imagine - as he discovers when an NYPD detective draws him into the pursuit of a killer who has threatened to strike from beyond the grave.

LATER is Stephen King at his finest, a terrifying and touching story of innocence lost and the trials that test our sense of right and wrong. With echoes of King's classic novel It, LATER is a powerful, haunting, unforgettable exploration of what it takes to stand up to evil in all the faces it wears.

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2020]

Later Excerpt
Posted: August 3, 2020, 17:12:57
Section: Book » Later
Here is an excerpt from Later.

“I love the Hard Case format, and this story — combining a boy who sees beyond our world and strong elements of crime and suspense — seemed a perfect fit,”

- Stephen King

“Later is a beautiful story about growing up and facing your demons — whether they’re metaphorical or (as sometimes happens when you’re in a Stephen King novel) the real thing. It’s terrifying, tender, heartbreaking and honest, and we’re so excited to bring it to readers.”

- Charles Ardai, the editor of Hard Case Crime.

Order your copy here

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2020]

I haven’t gotten around to his first two Hard Case Crime books yet, but I really like the sound of that one.

King Talks TV & That 2021 Will See 2 New Books
Posted: October 14, 2020, 20:12:06
Sections: TV » The Stand, TV » The Outsider, TV » Mr Mercedes
Entertainment Weekly has a great interview with King where he reveals there will be 2 new books next year and about his success on TV. Here are some highlights...

About books coming 2021:

There will be two next year. I don't want people to get used to that or think that that's the norm. It's not. But it's just the way things happened. So there is another, but I don't want to say anything about it yet.

About The Outsider

There's going to be a second season of The Outsider as soon as they can get the production going.

HBO hasn’t announced it yet but King know where it’s going...

I know exactly where it's going because I have seen some of the scripts. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. I'll just say that it's really great and a real spooky paranormal element.

His thought about if If it Bleeds could be used as basis for a second season of The Outsider?

I don't think so. It's really complicated because of the difference in the two story lines makes it difficult to figure out how that could possibly be done in the world of Richard Price's creation of The Outsider. But if Mr. Mercedes was greenlit for a fourth season, that would be in the realm of possibility.

King on the new Flagg:

Alexander Skarsgard is a good Randall Flagg, he just knocked it out of the park

The new ending of The Stand:

I was able to bring things back around. I've had an idea for that final episode that I always kind of regretted not writing it in the book — the book's long enough as it is. I can't tell you anything about the episode other than to say that I've seen a rough cut of it, and I think it's fine.

Third Gwendy Book In The Making
Posted: October 17, 2020, 00:44:53
Section: Book » Gwendy #3
Seems a third book about Gwendy is in the making. This time written by both Chizmar and King.

6ee9b31d-35ae-4ed6-b2a3-7dda7c.jpg

On Slide Inn Road; New Short Story
Posted: October 17, 2020, 17:53:19
The title of the new short story in the Oct/Nov issue of Esquire is On Slide Inn Road.

428c8a4d-1cba-49ea-b7da-e9e38c.jpg

Limited Later
Posted: November 17, 2020, 16:11:05
Here are the alternative covers for King’s upcoming book Later. This is a limited edition signed by King in three states:

The Lettered Edition: Limited to 26 copies, signed on tip-in sheets by Stephen King and packaged in a stylish black traycase with ribbon, styled with the Hard Case Crime logo.

The Numbered Edition: Limited to 374 copies, signed on tip-in sheets by Stephen King.

The Unsigned Hardcover Edition: Limited to 2500 copies.

limited_later.jpg

The hardcover limited editions all feature two exclusive covers painted by acclaimed artist Gregory Manchess, each on its own separate dustjacket. These covers are variants to the standard trade paperback edition. The bonus jacket is a mock-up cover of The Secret of Roanoke by Regis Thomas, a fictitious novel that features prominently in the plot of Later.

Each hardcover edition also includes eight original exclusive illustrations by artist Rob Gale and the back cover features an exclusive map created especially for this Limited Edition in the classic “mapback” art style by artist Robert Hack, a reading ribbon, head and tail bands and quality endpapers.

Read more and check out an excerpt here

I'm looking forward to King's newest. :D

Billy Summers Arrives August 3rd
Posted: January 28, 2021, 21:36:07
Section: Book » Billy Summers
King’s fall 2021 book has been announced. It’s titled Billy summers and will be released on August 3rd.

Billy Summers is a man in a room with a gun. He’s a killer for hire and the best in the business. But he’ll do the job only if the target is a truly bad guy. And now Billy wants out. But first there is one last hit. Billy is among the best snipers in the world, a decorated Iraq war vet, a Houdini when it comes to vanishing after the job is done. So what could possibly go wrong?

How about everything.

This spectacular can’t-put-it-down novel is part war story, part love letter to small town America and the people who live there, and it features one of the most compelling and surprising duos in King fiction, who set out to avenge the crimes of an extraordinarily evil man. It’s about love, luck, fate, and a complex hero with one last shot at redemption.

You won’t put this story down, and you won’t forget Billy.

billysummers_us.jpg

Here is a very short excerpt from the book.

"Two million. Five hundred thousand up front, the rest after."

Billy's whistle isn't part of the act, which he doesn't think of as an act but his dumb self, the one he shows to guys like Nick and Frank and Paulie. It's like a seatbelt. You don't use it because you expect to be in a crash, but you never know who you might meet coming over a hill on your side of the road. This is also true on the road of life, where people veer all over the place and drive the wrong way on the turnpike.

"Why so much?" The most he's ever gotten on a contract was seventy K. "It's not a politician, is it? Because I don't do that."

"Not even close."

"Is it a bad person?"

Nick laughs, shakes his head, and looks at Billy with real affection. "Always the same question with you."

Billy nods.

The dumb self might be a shuck, but this is true: he only does bad people. It's how he sleeps at night. It goes without saying that he has made a living working for bad people, yes, but Billy doesn't see this as a moral conundrum. He has no problem with bad people paying to have other bad people killed. He basically sees himself as a garbageman with a gun.

"This is a very bad person."

Source: EW

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2021]

Finished reading The Dark Tower for the first time. Such an incredible journey that left part of me wanting to immediately read the whole thing again.

Hard Case Crime Box Set
Posted: February 17, 2021, 15:50:03
Sections: Book » Joyland, Book » Later
Hard Case Crime is releasing a set of their three King books in September. The set will be in a slipcase and contain all three books by King, The Colorado Kid, Joyland and Later.

The set will also include three exclusive art cards showing a variant cover of each book – the original Glen Orbik cover for The Colorado Kid, the Robert McGinnis limited-edition hardcover cover for Joyland and the Greg Manchess limited-edition hardcover cover for Later.

The set will be released on September 14 but you can pre-order your set over at Amazon.com

cardcase_box.jpg

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2021]

Finished reading The Dark Tower for the first time. Such an incredible journey that left part of me wanting to immediately read the whole thing again.
I recently finished the first book. I wasn't blown away, but I am interested enough to go for the second book. Also, my version included a chapter from book 2 at The End and I liked what I saw.

Hodder To Reissue King's Entire Backlist
Posted: March 18, 2021, 12:41:38
Hodder & Stoughton reveales that they will release King's entire backlist with a new look between now and the fall of 2024. Devided in 2 - 3 batches per year all will culminate with the 50th annerversay of Carrie. Hodder will then have released over 70 books with this new look.

The books will be grouped into different categories including Chilling Classics, Epic Thrillers and
Reading Group Suspense, helping readers to navigate their way through the extraordinary range and
depth of King's body of work, and discover which type of novel will most appeal to them. Each group
will be unified by striking new author brand lettering, and distinguished by a distinct colour palette
and title lettering.

The first six titles to be released in May are: Christine, Cujo, Doctor Sleep, Firestarter, `Salem’s Lot and The Shining.

may2021.jpg

Gwendy’s Final Task Out February 15
Posted: April 14, 2021, 15:48:56
Section: Book » Gwendy’s Final Task
Cemeterty Dance released the cover for Gwendy’s Final Task today as well as the release date, February 15, 2022.

When Gwendy Peterson was twelve, a mysterious stranger named Richard Farris gave her a mysterious box for safekeeping. It offered treats and vintage coins, but it was dangerous. Pushing any of its seven colored buttons promised death and destruction.

Years later, the button box entered Gwendy’s life again. A successful novelist and a rising political star, she was once again forced to deal with the temptation that box represented.

Now, evil forces seek to possess the button box and it is up to Senator Gwendy Peterson to keep it from them. At all costs. But where can you hide something from such powerful entities?

In Gwendy’s Final Task, “horror giants” (Publishers Weekly) Stephen King and Richard Chizmar take us on a journey from Castle Rock to another famous cursed Maine city to the MF-1 space station, where Gwendy must execute a secret mission to save the world. And, maybe, all worlds.

gwendysfinaltask.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"