No Way Home Spider-Man No Way Home - Rate and Review Thread (Spoilers)

It really needs to be said: Garfield under Feige and Marvel Studios>>>>>>>>>> Garfield under just Sony. There's definitely potential there for another Garfield Spider-Man movie, but only if Feige and Marvel Studios are involved.
He really is great. His films may not have had the best writing or best villains, but Garfield was amazing. And here, he absolutely stole the show. Much better than Tobey, IMO.
He’s a very, very, very close second to Holland for me

I finally saw the film last night. I never once imagined that watching an MCU Spider-Man film could evoke so many emotions for me.

AdoredNaiveDwarfmongoose-size_restricted.gif

Easily the best third entry to an MCU trilogy.

As a TASM2 fan I really don't see a difference between Garfield under Sony and Feige, he plays the same character in the same way, he just got few more "mcu" quips and that's all.

This.

I’ve been saying the same thing. Andrew was essentially the same character. His performance is no different then then what he did in his stint as Spider-Man in the past. This coming from someone who’s seen his movies multiple times and likes them so I have some basis for comparison. It’s not as if Feige is some mastermind that figured something out and suddenly made Andrew Garfield “work”. The kid always worked as the character. People are just now coming around and seeing it because of the hype surrounding this film. Make no mistake though, Andrew acts the same way.

If there was anyone who benefited from this movie it’s Tobey. He one hundred percent acted differently….and like I said definitely benefited. He was allowed to be a bit more open and bring a little more energy to the performance to mask that “dry delivery” of his lines at times. It really helped.

This.

I’ve been saying the same thing. Andrew was essentially the same character. His performance is no different then then what he did in his stint as Spider-Man in the past. This coming from someone who’s seen his movies multiple times and likes them so I have some basis for comparison. It’s not as if Feige is some mastermind that figured something out and suddenly made Andrew Garfield “work”. The kid always worked as the character. People are just now coming around and seeing it because of the hype surrounding this film. Make no mistake though, Andrew acts the same way.

If there was anyone who benefited from this movie it’s Tobey. He one hundred percent acted differently….and like I said definitely benefited. He was allowed to be a bit more open and bring a little more energy to the performance to mask that “dry delivery” of his lines at times. It really helped.

Everyone get charmed by mcu sugarcoating, and even the most average and boring character become "the best one".

Kevin Feige magic:

A bit of awkward look... Few more quips...

mixing-potion-horus-scrum.gif

SpectacularTanCub-size_restricted.gif

AggressiveRewardingBellsnake-max-1mb.gif

Thinking about it, one thing I really like about this movie is how it cemented the Green Goblin as Spidey's ultimate Big Bad. Like, in the previous two franchises, their versions of Green Goblin were very personal villains for Peter because he'd known them for a long time and they came after him specifically when they found out who he was. And I always just thought, "well, without the Osborns in this universe, and none of that personal connection, I guess Green Goblin might as well sit this franchise out." And then in one fell swoop, they brought the Goblin in and had him deal Peter the biggest blow of his life and brought Peter to the brink of being a willful murderer, and they made him Spidey's most personal villain yet again despite them never having met before the 3rd film. That was a nice touch, imo.

Thinking about it, one thing I really like about this movie is how it cemented the Green Goblin as Spidey's ultimate Big Bad. Like, in the previous two franchises, their versions of Green Goblin were very personal villains for Peter because he'd known them for a long time and they came after him specifically when they found out who he was. And I always just thought, "well, without the Osborns in this universe, and none of that personal connection, I guess Green Goblin might as well sit this franchise out." And then in one fell swoop, they brought the Goblin in and had him deal Peter the biggest blow of his life and brought Peter to the brink of being a willful murderer, and they made him Spidey's most personal villain yet again despite them never having met before the 3rd film. That was a nice touch, imo.
Exactly. Which is why I’m scratching my head whenever I see some fans fancast a new version of Norman Osborn to appear in the new trilogy. Never say never, but it’s very unlikely Marvel is ever doing anything Osborn related after Dafoe crushed it again. Many fans are failing to see that bringing the Dafoe Green Goblin into the MCU is in essence the same thing as bringing J.K Simmons to play MCU Jonah - it’s Marvel’s open admission that they don’t believe they can find a better actor to play the part, and even though in Dafoe’s case he’s playing the same version he played in the Raimi movies it’s rather clear that he’s intended to be the defacto MCU version of Norman Osborn(even right down to his redesign). The MCU spent all the storytelling potential they had with a hypothetical actual MCU Goblin for a multiversal one.

So any version of GG you do after the enormous impact Dafoe’s version had on this Peter, would feel redundant and a step down. By the same token, you will also never see actual MCU versions of any of the villains that showed up here as they are already the MCU versions in a defacto sense. So no MCU Doc Ock, Electro, Sandman, ect. Which means, for the next trilogy, you have to use new villains that haven’t been done before.

Last edited:
Exactly. Which is why I’m scratching my head whenever I see some fans fancast a new version of Norman Osborn to appear in the new trilogy. Never say never, but it’s very unlikely Marvel is ever doing anything Osborn related after Dafoe crushed it again. Many fans are failing to see that bringing the Dafoe Green Goblin into the MCU is in essence the same thing as bringing J.K Simmons to play MCU Jonah - it’s Marvel’s open admission that they don’t believe they can find a better actor to play the part, and even though in Dafoe’s case he’s playing the same version he played in the Raimi movies it’s rather clear that he’s intended to be the defacto MCU version of Norman Osborn(even right down to his redesign). The MCU spent all the storytelling potential they had with a hypothetical actual MCU Goblin for a multiversal one.

So any version of GG you do after the enormous impact Dafoe’s version had on this Peter, would feel redundant and a step down. By the same token, you will also never see actual MCU versions of any of the villains that showed up here as they are already the MCU versions in a defacto sense. So no MCU Doc Ock, Electro, Sandman, ect. Which means, for the next trilogy, you have to use new villains that haven’t been done before.
That's why I think some should have stayed in the MCU rather than get sent back.

I may be in the minority here, but doc ock was my favorite villain.
Tobey was my favorite spiderman. Garfield was great also, as was Tom.

Doc Ock is my favorite too. He got to show more character range as the movie spent some time showing us Otto dealing with himself post being Doc Ock. We never got to see that in SM-2 as he ultimately sacrificed himself once Peter got through to him and made him see the error of his ways. In NWH every other villain just got a quick fix injection at the end and boom they were done.

Plus out of the three Raimi villains who returned they gave Tobey a reunion scene with Ock. I loved it. Raimi theme playing, little throwback lines ("Power of the sun in the power of your hand", "I'm trying to do better"), Tobey and Alfred still had that wholesome student/idol chemistry.

Agreed. I don't feel like I need to see a Venomverse Norman or something at this point that ties these various franchises together like I am sure they probably were planning on at some stage. Goblin was perfect here, and this is the only time I need to see a MCU Green Goblin at this point. No point in trying at this point. Dafoe is the GOAT

My buddy and I did a full-length discussion on NWH:

GRAND SPOILER DISCUSSION PART ONE: Spider-Man – No Way Home (2021)

One of us (me) liked it and the other was more disappointed with it, which lead to an interesting discussion.

Main topics are:
  • Most of the film’s first act
  • The character arc of MCU Spider-Man
  • The villains
  • The shared universe set-up + Doctor Strange.
Part 2 will be up shortly.

Yea people trying to act like Andrew was all of a sudden way better in this are off. He has always been great, you just haven’t watched the TASM films without a bias

Yep. Pretty much this. I don’t get it. He’s doing the exact thing, saying the exact things and pretty much acting the same way as his TASM films. He was always this great.

Yep. Pretty much this. I don’t get it. He’s doing the exact thing, saying the exact things and pretty much acting the same way as his TASM films. He was always this great.

I felt the same way. He's better in this, but not significantly better.

The hype for Garfield seems more like a case of more fans seeing what was already there than of him suddenly being different.

But hey, I'm not one to hate :). More Garfield love is always good.

Yep.
I’ve warmed up to the film some after multiple viewings but that identity situation really bugs me. So much wasted potential to really amplify the level of fear in Peters world. There was almost no consequence in the opening portion of the movie for it other then his friends not making it into college. I was hoping for some death threats, attacks on his friends, mobs outside his house as he tried to sleep, finding ways to make life miserable for his family. I really wanted them to go the route of really make life horrifying for him as his worst nightmare came to fruition. That would have made the choice to go to Strange much more meaningful.

Hell even him going back to school was treated as a joke. Would have been great to see a police/military presence monitoring him and following him through the halls…instead of more lame dialogue between him and teachers.

Again, I’m warming up to the film and tolerating some of the flaws but damn…Im just so bummed that this aspect of the story couldn’t have been handled better.

Why would anyone threaten SpiderMan? First off he’s a known Avenger now. From the first movie, we know the sentiment of fear that brings to bad guys - being on the Avenger’s radar. Think about what just happened in the world, the blip and a galactic battle brought to Earth. I don’t think you’ll get many normal humans trying to threaten Spider Man. Public opinion and image is about all the real damage you can do to Superhumans in the post blip world and that’s what JJJ was trying to do. Just my thoughts on this…

Last edited:
Why would anyone threaten SpiderMan? First off he’s a known Avenger now. From the first movie, we know the sentiment of fear that brings to bad guys - being on the Avenger’s radar. Think about what just happened in the world, the blip and a galactic battle brought to Earth. I don’t think you’ll get many normal humans trying to threaten Spider Man. Public opinion and image is about all the real damage you can do to Superhumans in the post blip world and that’s what JJJ was trying to do. Just my thoughts on this…

Why would anyone threaten Spider-Man? You really believe being a super hero or being an avenger means criminals won’t try to hurt him or his family? That people won’t try to make his life miserable. That peolle won’t try to get famous or make a name for themselves by going after him and his family? Really?

He was a known Avengers in the comics. It didn’t stop Aunt May from being shot as a result of his identity being revealed.

To me, it was a a missed opportunity. They had a fork in the road. They chose to go the funny cute route with showing scenes like him in the school with the teachers. Instead they could have spent a little time showing off severe consequences for the identity reveal so that going to Strange would be justified in a more sensible fashion other then “Oh my friends didn’t make it to college. Let me brain wash the world because of it”.

Again I really like the movie. To me though, that was just a massive missed opportunity.

This is not only the worst Spider-Man movie of all time; it’s also one of the worst comic book movies ever as well as one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Jon Watts is a hack and should never be allowed to direct a movie again, let alone a comic book movie. :cmad:

sike-lebron-james.gif

I actually enjoyed the movie, for the most part. There were definitely issues and while it’s certainly the darkest of the MCU films, it was still pretty much overall lighthearted. lol on Tom Holland saying this movie isn’t fun. It’s not that much darker than the previous films.

Pros:
It definitely feels more serious in tone, and you really feel the tragedy of the character. Peter loses everything in this film.
Action is definitely more dynamic and clever and feel intense. The standouts are the bridge fight and apartment fights are standout.
- Andrew Garfield is phenomenal, Tobey is good but Garfield is simply, well, amazing. Yes, forgive the pun but to be fair the movie did it first.

Cons & nitpicks:
- Peter is now the most famous person in the world? That makes no sense especially in a world where they are other superheroes who are arguably way more famous than Spidey in-universe. Spider-Man in the MCU hasn’t been active that long, and he wasn’t a big time superhero on the level of Avengers.

-Some of the humor still doesn’t land.

- There’s definitely holes in the film’s multiversal logic and inconsistencies with the other films.,By this own film’s logic, Electro shouldn’t have been transported since he never finds out Peter was Spider-Man in ASM2.
- Alfred Molina’s Doc Ock doesn’t need to have Curt Connors explained to him by Electro. SM2 clearly establishes he already knew the Curt of his universe. So even if he obviously doesn’t know the Webb version is, he should at least recognize the name.

Overall, despite knowing most of what was going on before seeing it, I still really enjoyed it and thought it was the best of the MCU Spidey trilogy. 7/10.

Last edited:
This is not only the worst Spider-Man movie of all time; it’s also one of the worst comic book movies ever as well as one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Jon Watts is a hack and should never be allowed to direct a movie again, let alone a comic book movie. :cmad:

sike-lebron-james.gif

I actually enjoyed the movie, for the most part. There were definitely issues and while it’s certainly the darkest of the MCU films, it was still pretty much overall lighthearted. lol on Tom Holland saying this movie isn’t fun. It’s no darker

Pros:
It definitely feels more serious in tone, and you really feel the tragedy of the character. Peter loses everything in this film.
Action is definitely more dynamic and clever and feel intense. The standouts are the bridge fight and apartment fights are standout.
- Andrew Garfield is phenomenal, Tobey is good but Garfield is simply, well, amazing. Yes, forgive the pun but to be fair the movie did it first.

Cons & nitpicks:
- Peter is now the most famous person in the world? That makes no sense especially in a world where they are other superheroes who are arguably way more famous than Spidey in-universe. Spider-Man in the MCU hasn’t been active that long, and he wasn’t a big time superhero on the level of Avengers.

-Some of the humor still doesn’t land.

- There’s definitely holes in the film’s multiversal logic and inconsistencies with the other films.,By this own film’s logic, Electro shouldn’t have been transported since he never finds out Peter was Spider-Man in ASM2.
- Alfred Molina’s Doc Ock doesn’t need to have Curt Connors explained to him by Electro. SM2 clearly establishes he already knew the Curt of his universe. So even if he obviously doesn’t know the Webb version is, he should at least recognize the name.

Overall, despite knowing most of what was going on, I really enjoyed it and thought it was the best of the MCU Spidey trilogy. 7/10.

I swear you’re like my variant version or something lol. I got it sitting at about a 7 as well. It was better the second time around though but some the issues I have will never go away cause it’s just feels like Disney being Disney. Easily the best out of the Tom movies though.

Oh and yes….Tobey was great. What I’m glad about is that Tobey brought MUCH needed energy and he didn’t do any of that over the top overacting from the Raimi movies.

Tom Holland was once again, f**king fantastic.

Peter #3 though….That dude stole the show. Words just don’t do him justice. Lol

Last edited:
- Alfred Molina’s Doc Ock doesn’t need to have Curt Connors explained to him by Electro. SM2 clearly establishes he already knew the Curt of his universe. So even if he obviously doesn’t know the Webb version is, he should at least recognize the name

I suppose there are several ways of looking at that.

Should Doc Ock know Curt Connors? its been a while since i watched the Raimi movies but is there some connection between the 2 or is this an assumption that everyone would know each other being from the same universe

Another thing is that even if Doc Ock did recognize the name... what does it matter? he is looking at a huge Lizard man. Unless he jumps in while Electro is talking to say OH I KNOW HIM!, then its not really a big deal since they are from a different universe anyway. Electro and Connors both worked at Oscorp so they do know eachother.

Did electro or the lizard acknowledge Dafoe's Norman Osborn? They surely know he technically was there boss right?

I think we are just meant to assume they are aware they ain't all from the same universe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"