The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of people have contributed to who and what Bruce is. His parents,Joe Chill ,Alfred. Ra's. Gordon. even Lucius Fox. And I'm sure that in Bruce's travels that he met others who trained him in detective skills,chemistry,physics,engineering among other things.
Even Rachel helped steer him right.

I wouldn't put Ra's at the top of the list. Alfred might deserve that spot. because as much as his fighting training and some self acknowledgment as to what drives him was contributed by Ra's it pales in comparison to his moral compass provided by his family (I include Alfred in that group) and friends.

Last edited:
Anne is the cover of Harper Bazaar's Aug 2011 issue (probably why they said they're filming already in Pittsburgh).

Interview - http://www.harpersbazaar.com/magazine/cover/anne-hathaway-interview

Here are the pics:

gptJW.jpg

More here:
4WUQt.jpg

EL5Q2.jpg

BPep5.jpg

AFNHf.jpg

GEYsw.jpg

Xdg0g.jpg

So dammmmmmmm HOTTTTTTT.....

those pics are great!

... and EARS ON CATWOMAN COSTUME CONFIRMED!
BPep5.jpg

I think I do.
I think you don't.

To clean up these forums, we need to clear up the clutter,
Yes.

by making new threads, that clutter up the forums,
Sometimes.

when the original ones sufficed.
But they didn't.

I find the best way to clean my house, is to throw more garbage on the floor.:o
Ah...he's a real fanboy.

Is it funny how I don't believe in either?
Doesn't matter...we believe in you.

Sincerely
I doubt it.

I think a lot of people have contributed to who and what Bruce is. His parents,Joe Chill ,Alfred. Ra's. Gordon. even Lucius Fox. And I'm sure that in Bruce's travels that he met others who trained him in detective skills,chemistry,physics,engineering among other things.
Even Rachel.

I wouldn't put Ra's at the top of the list. Alfred might deserve that spot. because as much as his fighting training and some self acknowledgment as to what drives him was contributed by Ra's it pales in comparison to his moral compass provided by his family (I include Alfred in that group) and friends.

In terms of these films Ra's has to be in the top 3 at least.

This is the man who gave him the ability to fight injustice, furthermore gave him the idea of being a symbol.

I know it's hard for people to really accept that the Villain may be a huge source for the hero's good actions.

I've fought this argument a lot, Ra's and Batman's Methods and Ideology are nearly identical until the very end. They both believe in judging, aiding and doling out justice.

Whereas Ra's will kill Batman won't but, that's their difference and solely their difference.

Alfred is more of a present day influence on Bruce, though. He obviously didn't have that much influence on raising him. The impression I get from both the movies and the comics is that Bruce was basically raised by no one after his parents died. Alfred (and Leslie in the comics) tried to get through to him, but never really could, and Bruce had to find his own way.

Your post reminds me of the line in Kill Bill where Uma Thurman says that men who grow up without fathers "collect" father figures. Alfred, Gordon, Ra's, Lucius... that definitely applies to Bruce.

@Raganork Exactly.

I was watching Begins last night and the way Ra's is describing his first attempt in destroying Gotham with the league during the time Bruce's parents were combating the school of economics put into place by Ra's and the LoS which was crippling Gotham is completely shattering for Bruce. Ra's is/was a true force to be reckoned with.

This is something very important to consider. The more I keep thinking about how Nolan might have tied up these strings the more excited I become.

I'm curious as to why you don't think Ra's didn't raise Bruce

Ra's and Wayne's everlasting guilt and anger of his parents dying are the driving force that keep Batman alive and that initially gave birth to him

Alfred is the last remanent left of the Bruce Wayne of long ago especially with Rachel being dead now.

Ra's didn't raise Bruce, but he certainly did create Batman.

I was just correcting you.

I know. The last resort of the person without a valid point is to point out spelling errors. Some people point them out in an honest attempt to help the other person....others do it in an attempt to look cool. I was doubting that you sincerely were worried about my spelling for my educational purposes but were instead attempting the I need to look cool mode.

Ra's and Wayne's everlasting guilt and anger of his parents dying are the driving force that keep Batman alive and that initially gave birth to him

Alfred is the last remanent left of the Bruce Wayne of long ago especially with Rachel being dead now.

I wouldn't say he created Batman but rather gave Bruce the slightest push and means to create a persona.

I couldn't help but think about 'Batman Begins', where Gordon is comforting a young Bruce after his parents get killed.

Like they could have progressed a little more with this scene.

Regardless I'd say both Thomas, Alfred, and Ra's are all part of what makes Wayne/Batman who he is today.

If anything this story proves that time is a very minor factor when it comes to making permanent impressions on a person. Wayne only knew his father and mother until he was until he was 8 but that doesn't affect his love any less. While he might have only known Ra's for less than that his lessons and training certainly did create a part of him now that he can't really separate from.

Batman is a product of many factors which is what makes him so powerful. Enough so that he can be considered a completely different entity from that of the former Wayne.

I know. The last resort of the person without a valid point is to point out spelling errors. Some people point them out in an honest attempt to help the other person....others do it in an attempt to look cool. I was doubting that you sincerely were worried about my spelling for my educational purposes but were instead attempting the I need to look cool mode.
Last resort? I still think I have a valid point, but I guess only time will tell how un-cluttered the news thread will be. But anyways, I'm loving all the new Hathaway pics that have nothing to do with TDKR news.

I definitely think he created Batman.

But Bruce in TDK quote's Ras; his whole philosophy of life seems to originate from what Ra's taught him. I hardly ever see anything of Thomas in Bruce's actions

or Alfred, sure he looks to Alfred for advice but, when face to face with the Joker the first time Alfred suggest that the Joker might be complicated, what does Bruce counter with?

Originally said by Bruce Wayne
Criminals aren't complicated, Alfred

A line Ra's Al Ghul said to him in the previous films.

The movies are only 2 hours long so it's hard to push all these themes forward constantly but, I think Ra's Al Ghul is much more influential to Bruce than a lot of us think

Because they didn't meet until Bruce was like 25?

And? Considering Bruce Ran from Gotham after Joe Chill was killed and ran and ran and never stopped running until he found Ra's I could easily argue that Bruce was a child up until he was given focus and strength by Ra's al Ghul

His age is almost a non-factor

I couldn't help think 'Batman Begins' where Gordon is comforting a young Bruce after his parents get killed.

Like they could have progressed a little more with this scene.

I love that scene.

I might be looking to much into it but I love how that scene shows a clear contrast in how his closest allies and family react in comforting a young Bruce versus Loeb and Mr. Earle.

I like how Gordon in that scene keeps telling him "It's ok" repeatedly almost foreshadowing their future alliance. He's reassuring him that everything will be just fine and when he utters the line "Is this your fathers?" and proceeds to place Thomas Wayne's black coat over Bruce as if he's putting on the cape on the future knight is amazing symbolism. A knighting if you will.

Very fitting. Batman's greatest ally in these movies has been Gordon in terms of fighting criminality I think that scene was very well done.

Last edited:
I love that scene.

I might be looking to much into it but I love how that scene shows a clear contrast in how his closest allies and family react in comforting a young Bruce versus Loeb and Mr. Earle.

I like how Gordon in that scene keeps telling him "It's ok" repeatedly almost foreshadowing their future alliance. He's reassuring him that everything will be just fine and when he utters the line "Is this your fathers?" and proceeds to place Thomas Wayne's black coat over Bruce as if he's putting on the cape on a future knight is amazing symbolism.

Very fitting. Batman's greatest ally in these movies has been Gordon in terms of fighting criminality I think that scene was very well done.

And what does Gordon tell James in TDK right before Batman saves the day?

I love that scene.

I like how Gordon in that scene keeps telling him "It's ok" repeatedly almost foreshadowing their future alliance. He's reassuring him that everything will be just fine and when he utters the line "Is this your fathers?" and proceeds to place Thomas Wayne's black coat over Bruce as if he's putting on the cape on the future knight is amazing symbolism. A knighting if you well.

I would love to see a similar scene in 'The Dark Knight Rises'.

But, I can't see Nolan going in the direction of Bruce revealing himself to Gordon.

I would love to see a similar scene in 'The Dark Knight Rises'.

But, I can't see Nolan going in the direction of Bruce revealing himself to Gordon.

A scene like that in BB is definitely possible. with Batman being hunted down it's not hard for me to imagine a case where Batman meets with Gordon to discuss how to curb crime, WITHOUT the assistance of GPD and Gordon looks at Bamn and says

"It's going to be alright"

And? Considering Bruce Ran from Gotham after Joe Chill was killed and ran and ran and never stopped running until he found Ra's I could easily argue that Bruce was a child up until he was given focus and strength by Ra's al Ghul

His age is almost a non-factor

That's all true. Still, and I'll admit that I'm arguing semantics here, you can't raise an adult. Even if that adult is so immature and directionless that he is practically a child. Ra's mentored Bruce.

A scene like that in BB is definitely possible. with Batman being hunted down it's not hard for me to imagine a case where Batman meets with Gordon to discuss how to curb crime, WITHOUT the assistance of GPD and Gordon looks at Bamn and says

"It's going to be alright"

That sounds good to me.

I was also thinking about towards the end of the movie, after everything has taken place.

Perhaps Batman has suffered physical damage and his suit is partially ripped off and Gordon sits with him and pulls the cape over him, or something to that effect..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"