Comics The Un-F%$&k Spidey's History Thread!

Well there goes the only Spidey arc that I have in TPB, Maximum Carnage... or wait... has it still happened? Wasn't MJ one of the factors that made Spidey live through it? But he also got help.... and MJ was there... but wait... I...

MY BRAIN HURTS!

Why doesn't he get his "creative team" and create a mini explaining what the hell changed on spidey's history? That way we can understand WHY he did it

Remember that Spider-Man mini series by Jeph Loeb and J. Scott Campbell that's in the works and is yet to come out? Like I speculated over in other boards including this post, How much you want to bet that that series is going to be the "new and improved" history of Spider-Man from whenever Spidey's reality actually changed to the present to capsulize everything "Joephisto" tossed out the window in a desperate attempt to appease the continuity hounds. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if, in order to keep with the "Day" theme of "One More Day" and "Brand New Day," Marvel will title it "Spider-Man: Back in the Day.":whatever:

farmernudie said:
Why is Spidey still in Avengers?

Why "a lot of things".....

I mean....JQ is gonna just pick and choose what things were caught up in the ripple effect and ignore other things that aren't convenient or too mindboggling to change. Mostly because, this story/agenda is not very well thought out. He took the most absurd route to break up the marriage. HE has made Pete and MJ into the Wonder Twits.

Well, we already had Dan Slott come on these very boards and suggest that Avengers:Initative #7, which he wrote and which had the Scarlet Spiders claim that Peter was working for them and wasn't the real Spider-Man is somehow still in continuity. Therefore, it looks like Spidey still unmasked in Civil War. But as we were told at the end of this last issue, no one remembers that Peter is Spider-Man. Which means, while everyone saw Spidey unmask, no one remembers who he really is. But wait? Didn't BOTH Aunt May and MJ encourge Peter to unmask? But if Peter wasn't married to MJ, does that mean she wasn't there? Or was she still there and was only Peter's girlfriend? Plus, when Spidey changed his mind, they wouldn't necessarily be in Stark Tower and therefore they wouldn't give up their safety. That's because Aunt May's house, as we saw, apparently never burned down, which means Spidey and his family wouldn't have moved in with the Avengers. And does it still mean that Aunt May was still shot? Because she looks fine now, so if she never was shot, how could there even be a deal for Peter and MJ to make?:huh:

Apprentice said:
How would Peter and MJ not getting married lead to Harry still being alive?
How's this? What lead to Peter and MJ getting married in the first place? Answer: MJ told Peter that she knew he was Spider-Man. So what if that was the key moment and MJ never told Peter that she knew. Well, since that was during the Hobgoblin arc, maybe, as a result of not telling Peter that she knew, she wasn't with Liz Allen, who was pregnant with Normie at the time, when the Hobgoblin kidnapped her. Therefore, Liz was alone in that warehouse when Spidey and Hobby fought and it started burning down. As a result, Liz, when she was rushed to the hospital as a result of premature labor, ended up losing her baby, or maybe BOTH of them died. In either case, this drives Harry to go back to his drug habit and (if Liz is still alive she ends up divorcing him) undergoes rehab, meets this new Lily Hollister character and falls in love with her, then goes to Europe for further recovery. There, Norman Osborn (whom everybody assumes is still dead) brainwashes his son as part of his revenge against Spider-Man. So when One More Day ends with Harry at the party, Harry is now back and ready to start go after Spider-Man as part of his father's brainwashing as Menace. At least, that's the best I can figure out with all this mess.

Well there goes the only Spidey arc that I have in TPB, Maximum Carnage... or wait... has it still happened? Wasn't MJ one of the factors that made Spidey live through it? But he also got help.... and MJ was there... but wait... I...

MY BRAIN HURTS!

At this point... not only could Maximum Carnage be out, but Carnage himself could be out.

You know, I think for the 1st time on the Spidey boards, 99% of people here are in agreement!

Wish it was about everyone being happy though :(

At least when it comes to One More Day.

I'm tickled to death about Brand New Day and seeing Dan Slott write Spider-Man. Which puts me in the minority again because most everyone else seems to be all boo boo faced about it because "Oooo, Dan Slott isn't writing the REAL Spider-Man".

Give me a break. :whatever: :oldrazz:

I think I've caved. Slott on Spidey is just too good an opportunity to pass up.

I think I've caved. Slott on Spidey is just too good an opportunity to pass up.

Don't let it bother ya...most people will cave......Joe Q has won...and he knows it.......there will be no magical retcon of the retcon.....BND is the new status quo and it aint going anywhere....which makes it so much easier to fire in the trash :).....

(I reserve the right to re subscribe to ASM if the above proves to be in error....and without the fear of people pointing and laughing )

Stillanerd: Well, we already had Dan Slott come on these very boards and suggest that Avengers:Initative #7, which he wrote and which had the Scarlet Spiders claim that Peter was working for them and wasn't the real Spider-Man is somehow still in continuity. Therefore, it looks like Spidey still unmasked in Civil War. But as we were told at the end of this last issue, no one remembers that Peter is Spider-Man. Which means, while everyone saw Spidey unmask, no one remembers who he really is. But wait? Didn't BOTH Aunt May and MJ encourge Peter to unmask? But if Peter wasn't married to MJ, does that mean she wasn't there? Or was she still there and was only Peter's girlfriend? Plus, when Spidey changed his mind, they wouldn't necessarily be in Stark Tower and therefore they wouldn't give up their safety. That's because Aunt May's house, as we saw, apparently never burned down, which means Spidey and his family wouldn't have moved in with the Avengers. And does it still mean that Aunt May was still shot? Because she looks fine now, so if she never was shot, how could there even be a deal for Peter and MJ to make?:huh:

I always like your posts stillanerd,...your thoughts often reflect mine to a T.

From what we've seen, it seems Joe Q didn't think this out well, as he is picking and choosing (lazily) what this effects. It's been stated spidey will remain in Avengers, tho this doesn't make sense logically, considering the continuity that led him there. Civil War wouldn't have played out the same. He has really (realistically) negated lots of things, past and present.

However, other things, he will cchoose to change, to meet his needs.

I mean, the whole thing was to get them un-married number 1. So, i guess it doesn't surprise me that he'll say it just didn't effect lots of things, and that we shouldn't be smart and think of these obvious things.

Instead, we should be like a little kid and say, "Look mommy, spidey is single now, can i buy that !??"

Or be like the other group that says..."Look, Slott is writing it!"

While option 2, (Slott) is indeed exciting....fruitcake is kinda useless and a waste of time no matter who made it.

While option 2, (Slott) is indeed exciting....fruitcake is kinda useless and a waste of time no matter who made it.

True...but buying BND doesn't mean you like the changes made in OMD.

I don't like the Clone Saga, but I like Ben Reilly.

I've been reading some of these posts more in depth and some of you guys are taking this stuff a bit too seriously. I mean I really REALLY like comic books and I REALLY REALLY like Spider-Man but you guys act like Joe Quesada is maniacally rubbing his hands together in his office saying, "Mwhahaha, I screwed over THEIR Spider-Man and now I'm using the fan favorite Dan Slott to suck them into my web of ultimate deceit! YES! I am truly Satan! I am truly the Anti-Christ of Spider-Man! Mwhahahaha!" :whatever: :oldrazz:

But seriously...I actually understand the anger from everybody this time. As even I, a marriage hater, even thought this was the worst Spider-Man story. And as am I upset over the insane continuity glitches. But the fact of the matter is that Dan Slott is a Marvel continuity machine who can take a piece of poop and turn it into gold.

But, yeah, some people are just taking this a bit too personally, haha. And if Quesada really is sitting in his office rubbing his hands maniacally saying that...then I laugh at him because he's a freakin' LOSER! :oldrazz: :cwink:

I've been reading some of these posts more in depth and some of you guys are taking this stuff a bit too seriously. I mean I really REALLY like comic books and I REALLY REALLY like Spider-Man but you guys act like Joe Quesada is maniacally rubbing his hands together in his office saying, "Mwhahaha, I screwed over THEIR Spider-Man and now I'm using the fan favorite Dan Slott to suck them into my web of ultimate deceit! YES! I am truly Satan! I am truly the Anti-Christ of Spider-Man! Mwhahahaha!" :whatever: :oldrazz:

But seriously...I actually understand the anger from everybody this time. As even I, a marriage hater, even thought this was the worst Spider-Man story. And as am I upset over the insane continuity glitches. But the fact of the matter is that Dan Slott is a Marvel continuity machine who can take a piece of poop and turn it into gold.

But, yeah, some people are just taking this a bit too personally, haha. And if Quesada really is sitting in his office rubbing his hands maniacally saying that...then I laugh at him because he's a freakin' LOSER! :oldrazz: :cwink:

Fantastic post. :up:

Don't let it bother ya...most people will cave......Joe Q has won...and he knows it.......there will be no magical retcon of the retcon.....BND is the new status quo and it aint going anywhere....which makes it so much easier to fire in the trash :).....

(I reserve the right to re subscribe to ASM if the above proves to be in error....and without the fear of people pointing and laughing )

Not me...not touching ASM at all...not until Mary Jane returns, the baby, the whole nine yards, at least Mary Jane and not as Jackpot....I will just read the spoilers of each issue online until something is brought up, or better still, the sales plummet to death involving this god-awful piece of garbage....Quesada, you will rue this day....just like Doom always says, instead of RICHARDS...QUESADA!!!

Again, what is SO GREAT about Dan Slott?

If I remember correctly, JMS was a GODSEND to ASM and look how he ****ed everything up.

And JMS is a better writer than Slott, hands down.

:o

Also, isn't Slott only writing 3 issues?

:huh:

I'm not gonna say I told you so, but this is why we were nitpicking the less blatant continuity gafs in the last 7 years......because when you give an inch, they take a foot.

And Quesada knows his numbers will keep staying level.

It's too bad people didn't see this or care about this enough to drop the book since Sins Past.

Why oh why do people think we are posting here just to bi tch. We're not, we knew what was coming from that first JMS gaf that Ezekial "was the first time Peter fought side by side with someone so similar."

If you stop caring about continuity, then you do just that. You can't play both sides and wonder later why the bottom has fallen completely out now.

Or you can and be that "obliviously backlashed guy."

Or you can and be that "Well, I'm still gonna read it guy."

All that is left for some of us "Spider-Man Comic book fans" is a pair of cymbals and a wind up mechanism.
But you should say "I told you so," Dan... you've earned it. You've called it from the get-go.

I will be "Suck it Joey" guy.

At this point... not only could Maximum Carnage be out, but Carnage himself could be out.
Which means *GASP* NO VENOM!!!!

Why can't we go back to the Spider-Man vs. Villian #3 type comics instead of these super-let's screw up canon comics?

farmernudie said:
I always like your posts stillanerd,...your thoughts often reflect mine to a T.

Ditto

Excellent posts stillanerd.

Thanks guys.

And not to worry. I'm sure next year (happy new year BTW) everything will make total sense once Jeph Loeb comes out with that promised mini he's doing with J. Scott Campbell which--pure speculation on my part--will explain why everything still fits all nice and snug and how, despite altering significant portions of Spidey comics for the past 20 years, nothing but the marriage changed :huh: . Or what I like to call "Spider-Man: Back in the Day" --the "real" history of Spider-Man since ASM #258.:hehe: After all, Joe Quesada, a.k.a. "Joephisto" did say in part 2 of his CBR interview that Jeph Loeb was part planning sessions for the direction they planned for Spidey.

Which means *GASP* NO VENOM!!!!

Why can't we go back to the Spider-Man vs. Villian #3 type comics instead of these super-let's screw up canon comics?

AMEN ON BOTH POINTS:spidey:

If I remember correctly, JMS was a GODSEND to ASM and look how he ****ed everything up.

Okay, you haven't read She-Hulk, Avengers: The Initiative, or the Spider-Man/Human Torch mini.

Okay, you haven't read She-Hulk, Avengers: The Initiative, or the Spider-Man/Human Torch mini.

Yes, at someone's recommendation, I have.

And it's not like he's the greatest writer around. He's the flavor of the month, IMO, just like JMS was.

And again, is Slott writing more than 3 issues? And again, JMS was a GODSEND to ASM years back, and look at ASM now? A heaping pile of ****.

Sorry, but it's just not enough for some exciting new writer to come to the book to make me pay money to Marvel for the complete **** UP that they have created.

But hey, it's your money. *shrug*

Because he's got a great grasp on writing superhero comics. He's got great characterization. He has strong knowledge in Marvel continuity and shows it each and everytime he writes a book. He gives you interesting twists and down to earth character moments that a book like Spider-Man has needed for years.

Dan Slott basically is the writer that every hater on this board has been clamoring for since Sins Past. And now that people are getting what they want they are spitting in it's face because they're all boo boo faced about One More Day.

And it's not like he's the greatest writer around. He's the flavor of the month, IMO, just like JMS was.

And again, is Slott writing more than 3 issues? And again, JMS was a GODSEND to ASM years back, and look at ASM now? A heaping pile of ****.

Sorry, but it's just not enough for some exciting new writer to come to the book to make me pay money to Marvel for the complete **** UP that they have created.

But hey, it's your money. *shrug*

No, he's not the greatest writer around. But he's got the goods to give the fans the stories that they've been wanting for years. I personally don't care whether you're going to read it or not. I've been waiting to see Dan Slott write Amazing Spider-Man for about four years now and it's a great moment for me this Wednesday. I'll be buying Amazing Spider-Man with confidence and happiness. Yes, with my money. You'll be sitting in at your computer complaining over and over and over again about how Spider-Man is screwed up.

Sounds like your life for the past couple years, doesn't it? Guess I'm the moron though.

But you should say "I told you so," Dan... you've earned it. You've called it from the get-go.

I will be "Suck it Joey" guy.

Of course he told it so. All everyone on these boards do is hate on the book no matter what is going to happen. You were EVENTUALLY going to get one right.

And it's like we were waiting on dan1's every word. "Oh my God, dan1 said One More Day is going to ruin the Spider-Man books! I better listen to that guy! He's a faceless Internet message board poster who insults people over enjoying Spider-Man when he doesn't! Oh boy I better listen to what HE has to say because it's SO IMPORTANT!" :whatever: :oldrazz:

Jeez, some of you guys really make me feel better about myself.

It doesn't matter if Slott is overrated or if he's the new Shakespeare if Quesada keeps forcing his moronic ideas on what to do with the character on everyone.

So, you kill Joe Quesada then. Then he can't force his "ideas" on anyone anymore, right? :oldrazz:

Hey. I'm serious here. The way posters on here have been talking for the past few years and the hours upon hours devoted to sitting on the Internet typing message board posts on one guy making bad decisions about Spider-Man. Why not just all get together and kill the guy? People have already shown that they can devote precious personal time, which could be spent with family, wives, children, a freakin' dog, to all of this madness. To constantly complaining, "Oh, I'm not getting Spider-Man from 1962! Oh, I'm not getting Spider-Man from 1970! oh, I'm not getting the Spider-Man stories from the 1980's!"

Just kill the guy and get it over with, people. Because the constant complaining and the "I'm dropping this book" is old, hilarious, and quite embarrassing if you looked at it from the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"