The unDEAD DC Boards Lounge version 7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think Marvel has the advantage of having a few more stand alone "street level" chracters...guys like Blade or The Punisher

a lot of DC characters are linked to the big guns....Id love a Nightwing movie, but he's linked to Batman so you'd have to weave that in....I think Booster Gold would make a nice action/comedy...they did a bang up job with him in Smallville
That's just because you're not bold enough to think outside the box. Gangbuster movie, son. You know you want one.

Flash is more wide-spead internationally. A lot of people don't even know who GL is but recognise the Flash brand as a superhero.

Well, I'll take your word for it. I didn't know that Flash was really well known internally, at least any more than the other comic properties that have degrees of recognition

what we need is James Cameron doing an Aquaman movie. :D

But yeah a Flash movie would be great, what villains should it have? And man would his Rogue gallery have to receive a grim remake because bright villains = somehow can't be taken seriously? :(

I still want a Green Arrow movie.
or Birds of Prey done correctly
or Blue Beetle
or The Question
or Huntress
or Nightwing

None of them would be all that expensive. Get on the ball, Warner Bros! :cmad:

I always wondered what the hell the story of Entourage's Aquaman movie could've been. The only scene we see of it, as I recall, is Vince running along a dock, stripping off a tux, and diving in the ocean.

I'm going purely off memory here, but I do believe you might be mixing up different projects. There was meant to be a sequel to the first with Jane, but it fell through, and then they moved on with another script to do WZ and started over from scratch. I could be wrong, though, but it seems to me that's what happened.
I wasn't aware a second script was created, I thought that Jane received (more or less) the P:WZ script and wound up bickering with Lionsgate pleading with them to actually come up with something which didn't do away with all character depth.

That's just because you're not bold enough to think outside the box. Gangbuster movie, son. You know you want one.

Yeah, there's plenty of street characters that are standalone with at least the recognizability of a Z-lister like Blade.

You know, I can maybe understand WB not wanting to jump on the train as soon as X-Men came out. But when they saw that it wasn't just a flash in the pan with Spider-Man, there's just no excuse for the biggest movie studio in the world to completely ignore this goldmine of potential properties during this insanely profitable craze from either a business or creative standpoint. Sometimes I think WB just forgets they own DC.

I wasn't aware a second script was created, I thought that Jane received (more or less) the P:WZ script and wound up bickering with Lionsgate pleading with them to actually come up with something which didn't do away with all character depth.

Well, you may be right. Like I said, I was just going off memories of stuff I read about it. I always thought they were two separate projects.

Yeah, there's plenty of street characters that are standalone with at least the recognizability of a Z-lister like Blade.

You know, I can maybe understand WB not wanting to jump on the train as soon as X-Men came out. But when they saw that it wasn't just a flash in the pan with Spider-Man, there's just no excuse for the biggest movie studio in the world to completely ignore this goldmine of potential properties during this insanely profitable craze from either a business or creative standpoint. Sometimes I think WB just forgets they own DC.
I can kind of understand it, to be honest. They get Chris Nolan to do Batman Begins and it's a huge success. So they explore other options with Superman and get Bryan Singer, an A-list director (responsible in part for the comic book movie craze) to do what he calls an homage to Donner's Superman movies, which were also successful back in the day. It gets panned by critics and underperforms financially. So they go back to their safe zone with another Nolan Batman movie. It's another huge success. So they decide to apply the same mindset to Superman. Details of their "dark" Superman leak and they're universally torn to shreds by fans and critics. So they decide to let the comic creators participate in the movie-making process and appoint Geoff Johns, a comic writer who's had massive success in the comic industry, as their chief creative consultant. The very first movie he consults on is for a character he revolutionized and made a sales juggernaut in the comics. Surefire win, right? Well, not so much, since GL is now getting critically panned even worse than Superman Returns was. So, from the WB suits' perspective, it appears as if DC is somehow cursed, unable to generate compelling movies from their stable of characters beyond Batman, no matter what approach they take.

I would watch it :up:

Also i want a Batwoman movie

And a Secret Six movie. And a movie about John Constantine that doesnt suck

I thought Constantine was a fun supernatural popcorn movie, personally. But I haven't read a lot of Hellblazer comics, so that's probably why.

Yeah, to this day I quote Constantine's ridiculous lines. Balthazar's Finger licking good for example.

Good points, but think about this: They didn't even attempt Batman Begins until 2005, roughly six years after the craze started (or three, if you want to say the starting point is actually Spider-Man, which is arguably a better starting point). Take into that the development time and size of Superman Returns, as well.

This probably goes back into what BL was saying about being restricted to a single studio, but still, it seems like they really wasted all these years not pulling some kind of investment into other non-Batman/Superman projects. I can understand them not wanting to start another large scale tentpole franchise with a lot of their budgeting being tied to Potter, but it seems they still had more than enough resources to try other properties with smaller budgets with so many other films based on superhero properties doing as well as they were.

I still want a Green Arrow movie.
or Birds of Prey done correctly
or Blue Beetle
or The Question
or Huntress
or Nightwing

None of them would be all that expensive. Get on the ball, Warner Bros! :cmad:

A Huntress and Question movie would be more :awesome: than a possum

Blue Beetle is getting a tv show soon so maybe he might get a movie too

A Question movie in the style of some old school, hard boiled detective film would be awesome. Don't have it "superhero-y" at all. Just a straight up film noir detective thriller. But set in Gotham and have references to "the Bat".

Good points, but think about this: They didn't even attempt Batman Begins until 2005, roughly six years after the craze started (or three, if you want to say the starting point is actually Spider-Man, which is arguably a better starting point). Take into that the development time and size of Superman Returns, as well.

This probably goes back into what BL was saying about being restricted to a single studio, but still, it seems like they really wasted all these years not pulling some kind of investment into other non-Batman/Superman projects. I can understand them not wanting to start another large scale tentpole franchise with a lot of their budgeting being tied to Potter, but it seems they still had more than enough resources to try other properties with smaller budgets with so many other films based on superhero properties doing as well as they were.
True, there was certainly some mismanagement going on, and it's quite obvious that those suits do not have their finger on the pulse of what fans and moviegoers as a whole dig in superhero movies the way Marvel Studios does. But now that they have actually wised up and begun making their forays into tapping comic properties, it seems like they're stuck in a no-win situation wherever they turn. Everything they've tried other than Batman has failed on one level or another.

I thought Constantine was a fun supernatural popcorn movie, personally. But I haven't read a lot of Hellblazer comics, so that's probably why.

It was a really neat movie about Keanu Reeves kicking ass and fighting demons but I wanted it to be more like the Hellblazer comic books

I would like James Marsters to play Constantine

A Question movie in the style of some old school, hard boiled detective film would be awesome. Don't have it "superhero-y" at all. Just a straight up film noir detective thriller. But set in Gotham and have references to "the Bat".

You had me until there, I don't see any need for that. The Question has his own city and all, no need to tie him into Batman and devalue his worth.

Last edited:
It was a really neat movie about Keanu Reeves kicking ass and fighting demons but I wanted it to be more like the Hellblazer comic books

I would like James Marsters to play Constantine
James Marsters has made a surprisingly good living playing Englishmen for an American...

You had me until there, I don't see any need for that. The Question has his own city and all, no need to tend him into Batman and devalue his worth.

Yep I wouldnt mind Huntress appearing in the film though

But it should be set in the Question's city

It's Hub City, by the way. It's a hell pit like Gotham, only without any of the eccentricity or flavor.

James Marsters has made a surprisingly good living playing Englishmen for an American...

This be the truth :up:

Spike in Buffy is like a vampire Constantine. A misanthropic dbag who is constantly smoking drinking and acting like a total **** but isn't as bad as he seems

Eh, I don't even see a lot of need for the Huntress to show up. At least not initially. I wouldn't mind the more straight faced noir approach, though, especially since Question's faceless schtick works really well for the impersonal and unknown fate themes of the genre.

You know every ignorant moviegoer out there would be like, "This dude is just a rip-off of Rorschach from Watchmen."

Nah, they would be so ignorant, that the inkblot would totally throw them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"