The Dark Knight Rises The Villains of The Trilogy - Who was the best and Why? (SPOILERS)

It was a fact that Ledger was signed on for 2 films.
Also a fact that Nolan never had any intention of using Selina Kyle until his brother Jonah brought it up.

Therefore we probably would have ended up with quite a different third film.

(and even if he wasn't signed on for 2, they would have brought him back - it's business, WB saw what Joker/Ledger did for that franchise. It would have been silly of them not to bring him back)

--dk7

Just thinking of hardy and ledger in a scene together as these characters is mind blowing.

Crane stole the show in this one. I think one thing they should've done is shown Crane is his mask making them walk the ice.

That was my biggest disappointment in the movie... Crane didn't have his mask. It would've been so much more effective if he had.

Joker.

But I have to say I was really impressed with what Hardy did with bane. I think if they hadnt tinkered with his voice so much, it wouldve been even better. Plus, if he just had a little more time to show him doing his thing, upgrade again. But he was great.

Tom Hardy was amazing in this role. In every movie you see, you always say "look what *insert actor* is doing as *insert chatacter*" you see the movie in terms of the actor's performance. But its rare when you have performances so amazing and unprecedented that you forget completely who the actor is and think you're watching the actual character.... You got that from Heath Ledger and Tom Hardy.

As my favorite villian, I have to say Joker. It's only personal taste.

Tom couldn't have been any better, he was the perfect rendition of Bane.

I know talia is the worse, that's for sure. Joker is the top dog, Bane could of been executed a lot better I was hoping the second half of the film would put a better scope on the character( like joker's hospital scene and interrogation scene) but it just fell flat. I still like him though but I put him a distant third behind rah's al ghoul.

For people who keep saying if Ledger didn't die he would have been in TDKR. Why would you say that? Nolan has stated several times he doesn't like repeating himself in stories.

That's a hilarious thing to say considering we just had another LOS plot of trying to destroy Gotham with a doomsday device, along with another Al Ghul pretending to be someone they're not, too.

Heath Ledger's Joker was not only the best villain of this trilogy, but possibly the best villain in cinema history.

This.

I enjoyed the other main villains but none of them scare me the way he does. He owned EVERY scene he was in. He was completely petrifying, unpredictable, and truly dangerous. He was Batman's worst nightmare. They don't come any better than Ledger's Joker. They just don't. Bane was a physical threat and very intimidating but he had none of the "villain intangibles" that The Joker oozed with every word, eye shift, or lick of his lips. No contest.

My order of the 6 main villains:
1) The Joker
2) Bane
3) Two-Face
4) Talia al Ghul
5) Scarecrow
6) Ra's al Ghul

Question: What happened to Scarecrow at the end of TDKR? Was he shown? Did I miss it? Or did they just leave him "out there"? Also why on earth wouldn't Bane release The Joker if his plan was to unleash carnage upon Gotham City?

For me it is a tie between Joker and Bane. Ledger's performance as the Joker was, without question, among the very best in cinema. However, I thought Bane's sheer physicality brought just as much terror, and menace as Joker did; Hardy really knocked it out the park. In the end, both were terrifying in their own ways and in my mind, are equally good.

Question: What happened to Scarecrow at the end of TDKR? Was he shown? Did I miss it? Or did they just leave him "out there"?

They just left him out there. Like all the Blackgate prisoners still running around free.

Also why on earth wouldn't Bane release The Joker if his plan was to unleash carnage upon Gotham City?

Bane had no justification to Gotham to release the Arkham inmates. He only released the Blackgate ones because of the Harvey Dent cover up. They were all the men Dent locked up in TDK, among others who were denied parole thanks to the Dent Act. He was supposed to be giving Gotham false hope. How could he instill hope by unleashing the Joker and his ilk?

I know what you're thinking, how was Crane free then. Crane could have already been free. It's 8 years later. He could have been paroled. He could have escaped. Anything. Maybe Bane specifically liberated him because he served the LOS before.

Also a fact that Nolan never had any intention of using Selina Kyle until his brother Jonah brought it up.

(and even if he wasn't signed on for 2, they would have brought him back - it's business, WB saw what Joker/Ledger did for that franchise. It would have been silly of them not to bring him back)

--dk7

Ledger's Joker AND Eckhart's Two-Face would have likely been alive in TDKR had Heath not died, but nothing larger than 2-3 minute cameos. However, I don't see how The Joker and Bane could've co-existed under the same city.

Ledger's Joker AND Eckhart's Two-Face would have likely been alive in TDKR had Heath not died, but nothing larger than 2-3 minute cameos. However, I don't see how The Joker and Bane could've co-existed under the same city.

Who knows if we even would have got Bane if Joker was around. (I'm not saying We would have just got another Joker movie because let's face it...that wouldn't be different enough)

But maybe lack of Joker inspired them to bring in Bane?

Bane and Joker would have been fun to see on screen together. Everyone says that Bane wouldn't have stood for Joker's anarchy...but in my opinion a good writer could make a very interesting story using 2 completely different villains in one movie...

--dk7

I chose Bane, Catwoman, and finally Joker as the best, but each in a seperate category.

Catwoman was I think the most fun bad-guy. You don't really feel uncomfortable whenever she's on screen, and her ambiguous yet still antagonistic nature played well with Bruce Wayne's kind of lost boy feel.

Bane was probably the most scarily dogmatic and fanatical bad-guy. He was basically Ra's Al Ghul completely unfettered, and the fact that he wound up a few minutes away from blowing Gotham sky-high makes him the biggest material threat.

Joker, however, is by the most dangerous spiritual villain. If Batman's Gotham's guardian angel willing to sacrifice anything to help the city rise from the ashes, Joker's the home-grown demon driving everyone towards evil and insanity. Bane nearly blew Gotham up after five months of rule-Joker almost made the city blow itself up in a matter of days.

I chose Bane, Catwoman, and finally Joker as the best, but each in a seperate category.

Catwoman was I think the most fun bad-guy. You don't really feel uncomfortable whenever she's on screen, and her ambiguous yet still antagonistic nature played well with Bruce Wayne's kind of lost boy feel.

Bane was probably the most scarily dogmatic and fanatical bad-guy. He was basically Ra's Al Ghul completely unfettered, and the fact that he wound up a few minutes away from blowing Gotham sky-high makes him the biggest material threat.

Joker, however, is by the most dangerous spiritual villain. If Batman's Gotham's guardian angel willing to sacrifice anything to help the city rise from the ashes, Joker's the home-grown demon driving everyone towards evil and insanity. Bane nearly blew Gotham up after five months of rule-Joker almost made the city blow itself up in a matter of days.

Nice!

--dk7

I'm sure there was an option for a sequel in his contract, but I don't recall Ledger committing to two films upfront.

Last edited:
Obviously Its the Joker but I also liked Tom Hardy's version of Bane.

--dk7

I will forever believe that if Ledger was alive... and the Joker was in Nolan's third Batman film, it would of been Joker leading a "band of freaks" and him living up to the promise of giving Gotham "a new brand of criminal"...

So we probably would of gotten other Rogue's Gallery villains like Penguin or Riddler, with Joker leading the pack.

[YT]gvdf5n-zI14[/YT]

The Joker was a sociopath full of twisted philosophy, Bane was a physically menacing, cold blooded monster, both were awesome IMO.

The Joker
But I liked Bane way more than I thought I would. Too bad he wasn't working all by himself, like Ra's and Joker, so I'd put him in third place, behind Ra's.

The joker
two-face
catwoman
ra's al ghul
scarecrow
bane
talia al ghul

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members