The Dark Knight Rises The Villains of The Trilogy - Who was the best and Why? (SPOILERS)

Raas, for some reason he just seems to have the most gravitas and weight in the films.

Joker
Scarecrow
Two-Face

Bane was okay, Ras and Talia were just dumb. The mob bosses weren't really "Villains" in the same respect as the big ones like The Joker, so I don't know why they're even on this list. Maroni, the Russian guy and Falcone were my favorite mob guys.

For me, without any hesitation the Joker. He might not have had Bane's brutality, but he was smart, manipulative and a just a funny psycho lol. Heath's performance just made him so much fun to watch.

My other notable mentions must be Two-Face and Ra's. As far as Bane goes, i hate to admit i wasnt impressed much.

Joker hands down.

I loved Bane but his character kinda got flat towards the end. Had they completely left Talia out they couldve focused more on establishing him as a single mastermind instead of just finishing someone elses goal and not get the Bonnie and Clyde treatment.

Also in regards to the Joker's possible return in TDKR didnt someone say that they had planned on the Joker having a "Hannibal Lector type role"??? Would have been fun to see how that played out especially if they still used Bane as the primary villain with Joker standing on the sidelines till the last act.

The Joker is by far the most compelling villain of the series in my opinion. Not that the others weren't, they certainly were, but The Joker is so captivating and addicting to watch. His relationship with Batman is also the most explored out of the villains. You really get a sense of the connection and dynamic between the two. And he looks the coolest in my opinion.

So my list goes:

Joker
Bane
Two Face
Scarecrow
Ras
Talia

Pencil through the eye socket
Shotgun to a cop's face

Those simple instances state otherwise.

Bomb in one of his henchman's stomach was pretty brutal, too. As was burning Lau alive on top of that pile of money.

Pencil through the eye socket
Shotgun to a cop's face

Those simple instances state otherwise.

The Joker's brutality levels weren't on par with Bane's.

Bane collapsed a football stadium, strangled and snapped people's necks, broke Batman's back after a malicious beatdown, hung bodies on a bridge, etc.

Another great thing about The Joker is that he doesn't rely on a McFunnin-esque doomsday device in his plans. The Joker threat wasn't about trying to blow Gotham City up, it felt more real. It was about corrupting the people of Gotham. It's on a much smaller scale then Bane's threat, but it felt fully realized and more intense.

Making henchman stab each other to death with sharpened pool sticks in order for a roster spot on his squad.

How could I forget that one? So disturbing.

"We're going to have....TRY OUTS!"

*Drops the broken pool cue on the floor*

"Make it fast"

He collapsed the football field. Not the stadium. Yes, he strangled and snapped other thug's necks. Joker did similar things to his own henchman and rivals, but in a much more sadistic way. Bane did it because the ends justified the means. Joker did it BECAUSE IT WAS FUN !!!

It still doesn't lessen Bane's brutality just because The Joker did it for fun. The term doesn't change just because one is a psychopath.

A dirty bomb absolutely feels like a real life potential scenario, IMO ... as does a terrorist attack on a nationally televised pro football game.

Those were some real and legit post 9/11 fears. If you were around post 9/11 you would know that.

Joker wasn't about destroying Gotham ala Bane, he was totally about making it his chaotic fun land in an epic duel with the one man who gave his life purpose ... the Batman.

Joker was about turning the mirror on society and trying to tell us its face is just as disfigured and corrupt as his ... he proved that through Dent. And failed through trying to corrupt our DARK KNIGHT.

:word:

If I was around back then? :huh:

I know exactly what post 9/11 fear feels like. I still remember where I was when 9/11 happened and what America was like after that.

And I think TDK captured those fears far better then TDKR.

Not really. Bane's brutality doesn't stem from being a complete sadistic psychopath. Unlike The Joker, Bane has full control of his actions and he completes them in cold-blood. Bane doesn't kill for fun -- he kills for purpose, and he never flinched when the time arrived. That is the type of man I fear. A man in complete control with no remorse and no hesitation.

Joker wasn't seeking the utter destruction and obliteration of Gotham. He was desperately seeking chaos and anarchy. Bane's motives involved the annihilation and slaughter of innocent blood.

Last edited:
I do too ...

But that isn't to say a dirty bomb in a city, or a terrorist attack on a pro sporting event weren't too un realistic to take serious in comparison to Joker's attacks.

To me it's not about actual realism, it's about whether or not I can believe it. If I can buy into what's happening. Something about Bane's attack, I never fully bought into all of it. I never fully bought into him taking over all of Gotham, and trapping the police underground for months. I didn't buy into the supposed fear he was inducing over Gotham. That's mainly because there isn't enough focus on the people of Gotham and what they're going through once Bane takes over the city. What Nolan did was satisfying enough, but I think he could have done more.

I bought into everything Joker did. I really felt the terror that the people of Gotham were going through. It felt believable, not in the sense that it was realistic, but that I could immerse myself into what was happening.

Bat-villains:
Joker : Most evil villain. (the best)
Bane: Baddest villain.
Ra's: Most charismatic villain.
Scarecrow: Creepiest villain.
Two-Face: Most tragic villain.
Talia: Most beautiful villain.

Mob bosses:

Falcone: Baddest mob boss. (the best)
Maroni : Smartest mob boss.
Chechen: Most likable mob boss.
Gambol: Dumbest mob boss.

Businessman,etc:
Earlie: Most sneaky. (the best)
Daggett: Dumbest.
Reese: Most Sleazy.
Lau: Smartest.

Bad cops:
Flass: Most sleazy cop. (the best)
Ramirez: Most sneaky cop.
Wuertz: Most unlikable cop.

Joker isn't insane, he's in control of his actions ... he knows what he does.

He isn't HIGH on bath salts.

Either way you cut it ... Joker tortured people slowly, Bane did not.

Thus Joker is more disturbed and brutal.

Dude, The Joker has been declared insane by Arkham Asylum. He's also been deemed a psychopathic killer by his creators.

Doesn't matter. Bane was seeking the extermination of entire city.

This part I can TOTALLY agree with.

It was heavy handed stuff meant to create relevancy that didn't do it subtley and hit as close to home as the zeitgeist fears in TDK did. I totally agree with what you're saying.

Not that it was bad, but in comparison to the tight script and motivations of TDK and it's character, namely the Joker ... it was very sloppy in comparison.

:up:

1) Ra's Al Ghul - At the time I saw Begins, I had no knowledge of the comics, so I had no idea of this villain so the twist of him attacking Gotham surprised me. He was also a man of much knowledge and wise, he is one of those villains that even though what he is doing is not right, he has strong arguments to defend his beliefs. That and Liam's acting was simply perfect.

2. The joker - He was done in a different more serious way, but I liked how he was very dynamic and crazy and always had a next plan to do. "It's not about the money!" It was great to actually see a villain not interested in the usual ways of villains and saying it to his minions. I don't put it in first place because personally, I wanted to see more jokes than all seriousness from him, after all he is the joker, yes we got the hospital scene that was brilliant, but I wanted more of those fun unexpected moments.

(alternate number 2): Catwoman, I would put her number 2 but like others have said, I'm not sure if I count her as a villain but the way she was portrayed was really great, she had style.

3. Bane - I like how he strikes a lot of fear in the city, to all the people, even if his intro at the beginning in the plane scene didn't convince at first to his evil side, but seeing him being powerful, and taking Gordon's speech and all of that was great. I would have put him higher, but part of his success was because of Talia, she was the true leader.

4. Scarecrow - In the comics and the videogame of Arkham Asylum, he is personally my favorite villain, but in the movies he was barely used, yes in the first he did pretty good, but I think he could have had more scary moments, and on his cameos specially in Rises, he should have had his mask on. They could have done much more with him in the process, but they didn't. I mean after a court decision he could give a big scare to people who would die in the process or something.

5. Talia - I really wanted her to have an awesome moment, if it was at least seeing one or two minutes of her fighting and that's it, but we didn't. I still put her here, because she was still the secret leader of the whole masterplan.

6. Two-Face - Many will disagree with me on this, but I think it's pretty much my same complaint with Talia, lack of evil screen time. Yes he went throughout a lot, many changes and suffering that led him to change, but he died quickly when he was finally Two-Face.

In the source material Bane is a mexican wrestler ... Nolan's Gotham is different.

It's left open to interpretation.

Is Joker insane? Or is he the ULTIMATE realist?

Sorry, The Joker might have been the ultimate 'realist', but he was still insane in more ways than one.

Hell his predictions came true from 8 years prior. "When the chips are down ... these civilized people ... they'll eat each other"

Except they didn't until Bane arrived to Gotham. The Ferry scene proved The Joker's thesis wrong about society's 'morality'.

And under Bane's revoultionary rule ... they did just that, didn't they?

And yet it had nothing to do with humanity's true colors (as The Joker theorized). Bane uncovered a lie, and it vexed people.

Insane? Or scary, like he was in TDK, because ultimately ... the villain has a point, doesn't he?!

:o

The Joker was a lunatic with a nihilistic message. It doesn't matter if he had a point, The Joker was still a mad man.

No ... did you watch the movie?

No. :o

Ra's Al Ghul wanted to exterminate a whole city. He died, Batman defeated him and his daughter Talia Al Ghul wanted to finish her father's destiny

Talia, Bane and the remaining members of The League. Point?

And her brawn pet Bane, did her bidding because he was foolishly in love with a woman who had no ultimate interest in him as a lover.

Except Bane wasn't a pet or a muscle. Bane was her partner who she deeply cared for.

Bane got PLAYED like a fiddle. Why? Because he cared.

I guess you have trouble handling the concept of what a partnership is...

That was my biggest disappointment in the movie... Crane didn't have his mask. It would've been so much more effective if he had.

My order would be

Joker
Bane
raz? (liamon Nelson excuse the spelling )
Crane

It's hard to say who was number one the joker had no plan and just wanted to mess with everyone with chaos while bane had an elaborate coordinate plan , the joker played mind games made the people go crazy out of fear like a terrorist while Bane used brute force and imitimation to make the people go crazy like a terrorist..they both have goods and bad but both were some of the more effective villains in superhero movies other can be debated as good villans but regarding batman these two take the cake and for the record I wouldn't have even recognize that was crane until I realized someone said he was in all three films I wonder how that happened? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"